New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 47 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: [4E] Grandpre Academy, Group 2, Part 3 (IC)

Ashe

Again pausing from his strange conversation, Monique, please take care with the larger book. It is a religious text to Dol Dorn and I would dearly like to study it at length when time allows. The other text is the one I am concerned about being too revealing with but its author should be of particular interest to Ace.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Troll in the Playground

Bolerum

The paladin's startled look becomes even more exaggerated as the holy symbol comes alive, wrestling with the paladin like a viper. After a brief struggle, he pins it with a ferocious smile, only to curse and slightly jerk an arm back as the symbol vanishes. "You've a snake's sting as well, I see," the paladin declares grimly.

Having lost the symbol, Bol looks around dubiously, expecting more mischief.

Spoiler
    Show
    What the what? Religion: (d20+6)[10]
    Last edited by Leewei; 2013-01-09 at 08:26 AM.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Troll in the Playground

So many things happening at once, Monique tries to address what she can.

To the Dark One, "He's a prophet, so divinitive trances are kinda his thing," she laughs, not too concerned yet.

To Ashe, "I dunno who Dol Dorn is, but yeah, I got that its a text of his. You can have it if you want it. This other book is a journal and I am gonna read it every chance I get -- it could be the break I've been looking for!"

To Bolerum, "You okay there, Bol?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Religion check on the holy symbol attacking Bolerum, if I'm allowed (1d20+12)[23]
    Thanks Gigi Digi for the avatar.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

DM
    Bolerum thought he caught the holy symbol, but as he pull back, he is empty handed.

5. - Top - End - #305
    Troll in the Playground

Bolerum

Bol turns his arm about, inspecting the place where he was stung. "Wasn't even a scratch," he shrugs, "Never seen a mark of the gods that did that."

6. - Top - End - #306
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

DM
    Bolerum remove the arm plate padding from his arm and pull up his sleeve from his right arm and is surprised to find out that the chain and holy symbol inserted itself into his arm, embeding itself in the paladin's flesh.
    Tjhe chain is made of some strange material with a bronze shade. The symbol is actually one of Kord : A stone fist holding a lightning bolt.

The paladin touch the chain, then the symbol itself and look surprised, but can only smile.

7. - Top - End - #307
    Troll in the Playground

Bolerum

For the first time anyone can remember, the paladin is quiet and wears an uncharacteristic humble expression.

8. - Top - End - #308
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

DM
    An other few munites pass by, then Ace eyes return to normal and the sorcerer shake his head frowing his and closing is eyes as if the light was a pain to sustain.

Monique finaly feels better and beleive she can finaly sustain the simply humidity air from the room, as long as she doesnt find any other **** laying around or return into the room bellow without something to minimize the smell there.

"You ok Ace of spades?"
    Dostki appear more intruged than worried.

Spoiler
    Show
    And Ace moves again!.. painfully, but he moves.

Monique loose her sickness.

Players Status
    Spoiler
    Show

(L3) Bolerum: 12/53, TEMP HP = 0, Healing surges : 9/12
    Bloodied

(N5) Monique : 44/44, TEMP HP = 1 , Healing surges : 8/8

(N1) Ashe : 17/49, TEMP HP = 0, Healing Surges : 6/7
    Bloodied

(Q2)Ace 21/42, TEMP HP = 12, Healing Surges : 1/6
    Bloodied

(M2) - Battle Standard of healing : Whenever you or an ally spends a healing surge while in the zone, you and all allies in the zone regain 1 hit point.

9. - Top - End - #309
    Titan in the Playground

Ace
    Yes, I'll live, and I feel we can return to our world, now. Unless there is somethin' anyone else wants t'do 'ere in the Shadowfell, it's prob'ly best we git ourselves back t'the mortal realm. We've got things t'do, people t'see. He turns to Doskti. I really am sorry 'bout the misunderstandin' we 'ad up here. We didn't come lookin t'make misere. Y'all gunna be arright here by yer lonesome?
    My Homebrew
    Currently DMing: Heroes on a Sea of Swords - IC - OOC - OOC II - OOC III
    Many thanks to the very talented Kymme for making an Avatar of my incredibly-specific D&D character!

10. - Top - End - #310
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Ashe

There is one other thing I would like to do while we are here.

11. - Top - End - #311
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

DM
    The small creature is a little surprised to see some concern on his captor face, but nod to him,
    "Yeah, I can sneak around well enough. We dont really fight the undeads here you know, we arent fools. I'll find my way back to my clan. Know that I am grateful that you spared me and will remember it. If you ever come back here, need some help and meet some of my race, you can ask for me, I'll help you if I can."
    Spoiler
    Show
    BTW, you can all condsider that you spend a short rest - tell me how many surge you spend (Monique can also use her healing powers again and restore them... the place is safe.

12. - Top - End - #312
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Ashe

Turning back to his unseen conversation, What do you make of this? Ashe gestures to something still in the hole under the desk for the "ghost" to look at.

13. - Top - End - #313
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

DM
    Dostki pick up his weapon and heads upstair. Ashe hear him do something, but anyone who would have followed would have seenhim in a bedroom picking up a 20 feet long plank and heads outside onto a balcony from a door to the north side of the tower. After that you heard him no more.

Spoiler
    Show
    Here you go, all alone again!

14. - Top - End - #314
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Ashe

Once Dostki departs, Ashe pulls a slip of paper from his pocket as well as holding up two stones and a sheet of linen. All the while making sure not to lose contact with the stones.

Ok, now that we are alone, here is what I have found. This note was contained in the book on Dol Dorn, it says "What you seek is in the second alley to the left, row 6, top line." and I think we should check this out before we depart.

The second book is yes, a journal, kept by none other than Bill Foan while he was headmaster of the academy.

I have also found these two stones, known as Soul Stones which are allowing me to communicate with the spirit of Sel'than Natura. They are also used to store the spirits of the deceased to allow you to access their knowledge.

Finally, I have found this drapery which contains the image of a Dwarven King who was one of those that ambushed the elves and stole some of the Natura Family Heirlooms. Does anyone know what this crest that adorns each of the corners represents?
    Last edited by Gillric; 2013-01-09 at 01:09 PM.

15. - Top - End - #315
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

DM
    The drapery Ashe show pictures a group of dwarves in battle against some orcs. The same crest is embroidered in each corners.

Spoiler
    Show
    This is the crest.

History skill to indentify it.
    Last edited by Dekkah; 2013-01-09 at 01:16 PM.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Titan in the Playground

Ace
    As Doskti leaves and the heroes settle down to rest, Ace looks through the book and speaks to his companions. Alright, there are some things I should explain t'y'all. It ain't easy, but if we're gunna keep workin' t'gether, it's stuff y'all ought to know. I was just waitin' fer our guest t'excuse 'imself 'fore I got into things, he begins. I suppose I should start at the beginnin'. My people, the Vistani, have a special connection to each other. We aren't all related by blood in the traditional sense; many of us are adopted, as I was when I was real young. We travel in real close-knit caravans, often named fer colours but sometimes fer people, places or things, like the Dragon caravan or the Ravenloft caravan. Some are big, some are small. I grew up in the Red Caravan, raised by the Caravan Mother, who was trainin' me t'be her successor. He closes the book he's reading for a moment so he isn't distracted, and focuses on his three companions. But I was a bad student. We Vistani, we undergo a ritual bloodbond that makes us like family when we join a caravan. Sometimes, that bloodbond can result in powerful magic, and some of the world's greatest witches and warlocks have been Vistani. I had inklin's o' the second sight, but I didn't listen an' I didn't learn. When I was sixteen, I met a young lass, Zelda, who had belonged to another caravan that was destroyed by orcs. We took her in, and the two of us took a likin' t'each other. Eventually, bein' with Zelda consumed my time, and I stopped comin' to Mother's lessons. I opened a gamblin' house in the caravan, bringin' in big bucks from half-wits and dupes what didn't know the cards were rigged. Some o' my folks started callin' me Ace, on account a my card sharkery. When I was eighteen, Zelda an' I married. When we were nineteen, our daughter Nicoletta was born. Given that Ace looks, at most, to be in his early twenties, but he was at Grandpre Academy for several years, something seems amiss in the timeline he's giving.

He continues his story. Four weeks after Nico's third birthday is when it happened. Two mages that were taggin' along with us t'learn from the Caravan Mother started bickerin'. They got in a scrap about which was the better caller o' elementals. I don't remember the exact argument, but one claimed earth elementals were stronger, while the other insisted fire elementals would win-out. So they held a contest a sorts. Ace's eyes start to gently glow with blue magic and an expression of fury sneaks its way into his face. So they summoned the biggest damn elementals they could to have a battle. But they had no idea what they were doin', and they ended up tearin' a hole to the Elemental Chaos. All sorts o' baddies and beasties came out and started rippin' things apart an' burnin' an' drownin' an' blowin' their way through the caravan. The two mages died instantly. I was at the chance house... a fire elemental incinerated my wagon while I was away, with Zelda an' Nico in it... neither of them survived... he continues, magic sparking from his eyes and fingertips as his anger builds. Eventually, the elders destroyed the elementals and shoved em' back down the hole. But the tear was big an' bad. The Caravan Mother figured it'd take at least two souls to seal the rent. She took the ones from the two mages what died, as punishment. But it weren't enough; she needed a bit more t'finish the spell. Since Zelda was dead, she was gunna use a piece a her soul... but I couldn't allow that. My wife an' daughter had already died; I wasn't gunna rob my baby girl a havin' her mom up on Celestia. So I volunteered, and lost a bit a what makes me... me. The empty space, it filled up with chaos from the rift. That's why I can use magic, an' why I ain't got no control over it. It's why I can't get sad, just angry... I never got to properly mourn my family. An' it's why I don't git any older-lookin'. It's been twelve years since that night, an' now, finally, the Vistani want me back.

Bill Foan's real name was Gill Mornila, an' he was the High Seer a the Green Caravan o' the Vistani. He left that trove fer us t'find, since he knew we'd be here eventually. All the visions o' death and destruction I got... they were his way of leadin' me here, t'this place, so we'd find that stuff. He spoke t'me... and he told me I need t'fix the hole in my soul before I can properly use my gift. I'd have to give up my chaos magic. But given how it nearly hit Monique t'day... I'm not sure I can trust it anymore anyhow. The last thing he wanted me t'get was a ring o' his, and his familiar, a bird named Jorge. They're in the crypt at Pelor's temple, apparently... and Gill insisted that Xelmoyr was a personal friend o' his who'd let us in when he knew what we needed t'do.

Ace takes another breath, and the angry magic dies down again. He looks at each of his companions. If I'm gunna be a proper seer, I think I need t'drop the name I took when I abandoned it the last time. Name's Antoine Gadzani, o' the Red Caravan Vistani. Pleased t'properly make y'all acquaintance.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm not going to be on again for a few hours and I had some time now, so I thought I'd write this up and post it. Feel free to do things at the start of the short rest before Ace begins his story, or to respond to him once he's done. Any other posts will need to wait for this evening or tomorrow.
    My Homebrew
    Many thanks to the very talented Kymme for making an Avatar of my incredibly-specific D&D character!

17. - Top - End - #317
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

DM
    The heroes rest with Monique singing softly and Ace sharing his life story.

Looking at the books, you know that Magdebourg log will take roughly 8 hours to completly read. The Dol Dorn holy book also will be a long read, roughly 8 hours as well. The other book with the staff toped with a red-eye isnt as extensive and you can easyly read it during the short rest.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoilered for lenght...Each paragraph in the quote is a different page.

After the twin shooting stars descent
    The Westernlands healer will appear
    Left on the shore by Melora's hand
    He will purify the land
    And prevent final destruction

The honor of the forest people,
    Taken by the killing shadows
    Is avenged by its future
    Right now in what is his past.
    The chosen one will thus save the heritage
    Before it is completly lost .

The reign of the oak fruit tyrant will be stopped by a masked eye, in the year when the time is pierced by the stormy sea. Helped by faceless, traveler, strength and forest descendants, the masked eye will take his rightful place.

The battlelord disciple will reach the city of light in the year of the storms. His brass blood will be the key of the survivor of the time, sending his enemies to the heavens.

The sun will shine upon the desert of a fallen king. The saviors will surface through the unbidden flow of the dunes. They will thus vanquish the great snake, giving up on a few to save many.

At winter's Soltice, Magdebourg tyran twill be overcome in his own lair. Defied by warrior of an other time, his soul will be put to final rest that was overdue.

The queen city of the westernlands, destroyed and rebuilt so many times, will see the masked eye ascension after it darkest time. Taken in hand of mens of vision, the masked eye will bring benefaction until its next corruption.

As the world shake and eat him up, the battlelord disciple will meet his destiny, joining up with the brass lord son.

In the time when the high winds will blow into the dwarven peeks, the sea son will bring destruction to the shores. In those darks times, many will loose their will and will submit to whoever will give them protection.

The end of the eyes fate will come with the undead demon forces fall. Many will be lost to stop this scourge of life.

Also, the note Ashe have show you read thus
    What you seek is in the second alley to the left, row 6, top line.
    After checking all the books and notes, you all notice one detail : The all have the same handwritting except the Dol Dorn holy book.

Spoiler
    Show
    I am gonna trust your count Ashe

So Bolerum spend 3 surge and 1 use of Lay on hands.

Ashe spend 2 surges.

Monique use her two healing words on Bolerum and Ace(but simply spend 5 more minute and recharge them)

Then everyone is Full health

Players Status
    Spoiler
    Show

(L3) Bolerum: 53/53, TEMP HP = 0, Healing surges : 6/12
    Bloodied

(N5) Monique : 44/44, TEMP HP = 0 , Healing surges : 8/8

(N1) Ashe : 49/49, TEMP HP = 0, Healing Surges : 4/7
    Bloodied

(Q2)Ace 42/42, TEMP HP = 0, Healing Surges : 1/6

(M2) - Battle Standard of healing : Whenever you or an ally spends a healing surge while in the zone, you and all allies in the zone regain 1 hit point.

18. - Top - End - #318
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Ashe

After the group takes a look at Ace's book, Looks like a book of prophecies, but two of the pages are missing.

19. - Top - End - #319
    Troll in the Playground

Bolerum

"Battlelord disciple? Sounds like a fun one to fight against or alongside," the paladin of Kord says affably, his normal humor returning.

20. - Top - End - #320
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Ashe

Sounds like you have quite the past Ace, or should I say Antoine.

Turning back to Sel'than, You are unable to access your previous knowledge? That seems very strange.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Troll in the Playground

"Don't wanna presume to know how prophecy works, but let's see... The honor of the forest people,
    Taken by the killing shadows
    Is avenged by its future
    Right now in what is his past.
    The chosen one will thus save the heritage
    Before it is completly lost .

The reign of the oak fruit tyrant will be stopped by a masked eye, in the year when the time is pierced by the stormy sea. Helped by faceless, traveler, strength and forest descendants, the masked eye will take his rightful place.

I think Ashe is 'a forest person' who is gonna save his people's honor and heritage. That means the second bit is talking about us. I can't think who the masked eye is, but I think we're the faceless, traveler, strength, and forest descendants. Maybe the oak fruit tyrant is our goblin horde leader, and we need to find someone to help defeat him for good? I dunno, but..."
    Danielle Having said her bit, Monique sits back and thinks for a moment.

22. - Top - End - #322
    Titan in the Playground

Antoine
    The mystic looks at Monique. I reckon I'm the masked eye, hon. The symbol of the Vistani is an eye, an' Gill was one o' me own. Thing is, if I ain't one o' the four... are you the faceless or the traveler, hon? Bole's the strength, sure an' he is, an' c'est sure that Ashe is the forest descendant. The fruit of an oak is, si je me bien souviens, an acorn. Whose symbol is an acorn? I'm guessin' the gobbos ain't out primary concern, just a bump in the road in whatever Gill foresaw. More likely, the goblin king's the great snake, and we'll beat him with an assist from whatever we find in Pelor's temple, hence the sun reference.
    My Homebrew

23. - Top - End - #323
    Troll in the Playground

"Huh, okay, I thought you would be a traveler, 'cus of the whole caravan thing. If you're the Masked Eye, the prophecy says you're pretty important. I, uh, don't really like it, but I'm pretty sure I qualify as 'faceless,'" the bard looks disturbed by this, and doesn't continue.

24. - Top - End - #324
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

DM
    After their short rest, the heroes explore the rest of the upper level. The stairway lead into a bedroom. While it probably was a single bedroom with more furniture before, it had been altered to fit the needs of the drak ones that use it now. The original bed is still there, while it is quite damaged, and an other temporary bed have been made in the room. A pile of dirtly cloth peices and fur act as a sleeping area for the hounds. Other than that, the room is quite plain. Searchign the room, Ashe find a small hidden purse hidden in the bed blankets containing 3 small rubies.

The is no other stairway going up, but one door lead outisde onto a small balcony. The blacony have quite the view, as the tower is higher than most buildings around. You can see that the ruined city isnt so big after all, probably would have about 2000 people in the material plane. But the real interesting feature is a keep about 5 blocks away to the north-east. It still look in good shape, even thought it surely sustained many assault before. You can see many flag bearing Beal Milliar insigna floating above the battlements and you can easy guess that it is where the vampire lord live.

Looking around the streets for some time, you will spot many undead roaming the streets, some large partoll with skeletons, ghouls or zombies that most of the time wear some tabards with the skeletal eagle. Still, you do manage to spot a few smaller goups of various undead nature, including specters and ghast move around the place.

Looking ahead, you know how the dark ones proceed to get into the tower, as you spot on the roof of the building in front of you a long and sturdy plank that can be set as a bridge to read the balcony you are on. The creature seem to have removed it as he left, maybe so you dont follow him, or maybe to keep his hideout secret from anyone else. Bolerum knows he probably can jump the 15 feets to get on the room or Antoine fly there if they want and set up the planks for everyone.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ok, moved thing to finish the tower exploration to help you plan ahead.

You passively find 3 gems worth 50 GP each.

Map :
    Spoiler
    Show

The grey sqaures are the balcony.
    The blue (and most of blackness) is empty air (over the streets 80 feet drop)
    The green is the other building roof.
    The brown is the plank.
    Last edited by Dekkah; 2013-01-10 at 04:06 PM.

25. - Top - End - #325
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Ashe

While the group is resting, Ashe tests out the soul stones. First he holds both and then just one before placing both on the ground. Then he just stores one on his person. Looks like as long as I have one of these stones on me, I will be able to see and communicate with Sel'than.

26. - Top - End - #326
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Ashe

Well, now that we can communicate more freely, maybe you could lay out what exactly I need to do to resolve your life's quest so that you can be at peace?

27. - Top - End - #327
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Ashe

Can you describe exactly what this heirloom looks like, or heirlooms if that is the case?

28. - Top - End - #328
    Titan in the Playground

Antoine
    With Ashe talking to the ghost again, Antoine addresses the others. We should head back t'Xelmoyr, see if he'll let us in now that we got Bill Foan's stamp o' approval. We'll have time t'read our books when we rest; let's git back t'that portal an' hoof it back t'the mortal realm.
    My Homebrew

29. - Top - End - #329
    Troll in the Playground

"Okay..." Monique says uncertainly, "but I don't know if I can work the portal. Last time I looked at it, it was kinda confusing."

30. - Top - End - #330
    Troll in the Playground

Bolerum

Shrugging, Bol simply walks back to the stairwell from which he originally entered. "The guys we fought seemed to think walking down the stairs would be enough to get them to that demonic guardian. I'm ready when you are."

The warrior waits for the others, then proceeds.