New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 47 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Re: [4E] Grandpre Academy, Group 2, Part 3 (IC)

DM
    The angel look at Monique and reply,
    "I dont know the exact inventory back there, and even if I knew, I would not reveal it."
    At the second question, the angel think a little then say,
    "I have been assigned this duty by the holy lord, in reward to the mortal who built this place, for his deeds and the glory he brought to Pelor."
    As you ask the thrid question, the angel start to look a little irritated, and when you mention converting he shake his head,
    "One cannot change his heart calling like that. The lord faith must be deep to convince me Monique D'Etat."
    The angel shrug at the mention of Magdebourg faith,
    "So it have been destroyed then, that is why I havent been summoned for such a long time."
    At the mention of danger from goblin, the creature smile apparently sure of himself,
    "Fear not for me, goblin wont pass, as you would not had if you had tried to force your way in."

Spoiler
    Show
    I assume bolerum is something he says when you are alone, and if he say that in front of the Angel, he wont say anything anyway.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

Ace
    Once the group has ascended the stairs, Ace faces his companions. He wants t'help us, but he's bound by the letter a his orders. We need t'find a priest a Pelor t'sponsor us; that's what he was tryin' t'get at when he said he doubted the goblins would have the support of a priest o' Pelor. Once we've got a true believer o' the faith, I'm thinkin' ol' Xelmoyr'll let us gain access. I can tell he's practically chompin' at the bit t'help good folk like us, but again, rules're rules. At least now we can be confident the goblins' won't be winnin' the race t'git 'ere.
    My Homebrew
    Currently DMing: Heroes on a Sea of Swords - IC - OOC - OOC II - OOC III
    Many thanks to the very talented Kymme for making an Avatar of my incredibly-specific D&D character!

3. - Top - End - #123
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I had asked if he knew what had destroyed the city, was that a blatant or accidental skirting of the question?

"Man, we could totally pass by force -not that iI say weshould . it's justsso frustrating that we have to turn back so close to the end. Now I bet we'll be jumped on the way out, too." Monique kicks the ground, clearly upset at the situation. She carefully pockets the Rod and takes out her Orb, passing it between her hands as she talks.
    Thanks Gigi Digi for the avatar.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Titan in the Playground

Ace
    First o' all, Mo', I know this Chest is important ta ye, but attacking the lawful agent o' a benevolent deity ain't a way t'get y'self inta the good books, hon. Second, I'm not so sure we could; Angels o' Valor may be the shock troops' a the heavens, but they ain't no pushovers neither. I'd say laissez les bon temps roulez; we can always go back t'the larger gobbo camp. Ain't there more ruins' y'all found down there?

An' third, like I said, I'm pretty sure he'll let us pass soon as we find ourselves a servant a Pelor t'vouch fer us.
    My Homebrew
    Many thanks to the very talented Kymme for making an Avatar of my incredibly-specific D&D character!

5. - Top - End - #125
    Troll in the Playground

Monique grumbles but goes along with Ace.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Troll in the Playground

Bolerum

"Can we lock the way behind us? The goblins would amass and guard that tomb, or else assault the angel in an attempt to take what it guards. Either way, we'd have far more work if the way to the crypts was left open to the wizard and the goblins."

"I wouldn't mind fighting an angel of valor once this war is done. Until then, it does little good -- men must survive to speak of battles for them to have any meaning."

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

DM
    After a quick discussion, Monique close the stairway and pocket they key, and the heroes set out to the area Ace mentionned, which is about the only other ruins they know and havent to their knowledge fully explored. The heroes encounter no ennemies as they return to the large goblin camp.
    Since Ace havent really seen them yet, and to make sure there is no other surprise down there, the heroes take time to check out the whole ancient academy building before heading to the unexplored area.
    Nothing changed much on the whole place,except that you note that the place have been searched lately, surely by the goblin group you've encounter at the portal sooner that day.

The heroes then lead Ace throught the secret passage on the second floor and walk him in the tunnel up the the area the goblins were clearing, which lead to a ledge where you cannot see much beyong darkness with torch light only. since monique have seen the whole place before, she describe it again for Ace.

The cavern itself is roughly 300 feet long and about 70 feet wide at the widest point, which is roughly at your level. From your position, the fall would probably be fatal since the bottom is 100 feet bellow. The higest part of the celling is about 25 feet up from your ledge and the last 15 feets looks quite different from the wall themselves. Monique can see more earth, large stones, some roots and even what look like part of a stone wall buried into the celling.

While the cavern size is impressive, it isnt the feature that is the more striking about the place. Right across your ledge, there is a whole part of the wall that are ruins. Looking at it, it is a large section of what probably have been a street with buildings, but it is now vertical along the wall, looking as if someone hanged it there. It is quite evident that this have not been built that way and that it originaly was on an horizontal area. Almost every building there are broken down or heavyly damaged, but there is still a few which are nearly complete. While exploring these ruins sure is possible, it would take some decent climbing skills and a lot of rope to do it safely.

Also, there is an other breathtaking feature on the left side of the cave. what look like some huge cylinder made of stone bircks leaning against each side of the chasm. The brick cylinder isnt even, one side being a little deeper than the other : the lowest part is about 40 feet from the bottom, while the highest is at 60 feets of so. It is quite featureless and Monique could not even see a hole in it from her position.

At the bottom, the floor isnt made of solid stone, but composed of various loose rocks, earth and even some part of ruins.

The last thing Monique noticed is that there is about 10 or so cavern all around the place that all look quite natural. Most of them are located quite high, excet for two at the bottom.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ok, I'll move thing to the unexplored area as suggested by Ace, as I dont think you have any way to contact Bord-Eau without going there yourself (Note that Bolerum idea was good I just dont see any opportunity to do it).

And I assume you'll do the exploration before heading back to town which would take a few days on foot.

Since Shadow did see it before as Jieung, I did not repost everything, assuming/hoping he doesnt need the whole description (Ace could roll an hisroty check if he wants)

I'll reposted the descriptions/maps of the cavern to refresh all your memories.

(Note that Only Monique really have seen the full room with the night vision from the googles)

You guys still can discuss/go/do something else if you have other ideas 9I'll retcon if need be).

What do you do?

Map:
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

The orange dot is the torch hung to the wall.
    The light grey circles on the floor are stones (difficult terrain)
    The red brownish are the tunnel wall.
    Blackness is undiscovered area.
    The empty yellow square are the light radius of the torches (consider area not in the square in darkness - superior concealment)
    The light grey in -P36 area is the chasm (roughly 100 feet deep).
    I used icons for caverns, as usual the number in the bracket is location VS your position (Ledge = 0)
    The stone tower is clobberstone feature (-S23)
    The green area is the vertical ruins.
    (T) beside a name means the creature carry a torch.

To help you understand my poor english description, I've drawn a rough image of what it look like if you look at it from the east (Horizontal view).
    Spoiler
    Show

Redish Brown is the cavern wall
    Green area are the ruins
    Black/Grey cilinder is the fallen tower.
    Red dot is where you are (on the ledge)

Here is a map a map of the vertical ruins (Note that the letter should be replaced by altitude. F= 0, E=+1, G=-1)
    Spoiler
    Show

Brown is the regular wall
    Clobberstone is the part that look like streets and city ground.
    Grey line are stone wall ruins
    Black section are still complete building (roofs).

If you have quesiton and there is stuff that doesnt make sense or that you cannot understand, ask me more details.
    I just hope this make at least enough sense that you understand it.

Last edited by Dekkah; 2012-11-22 at 10:18 AM.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Troll in the Playground

"So... we gonna climb around cavern to cavern, making our way over there? Or, I guess we could try to make it to the tower on its side and cross that way. Dunno what's safest," Monique offers her take of the situation.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Titan in the Playground

Ace
    The sorcerer tries to line up Monique's description with details from his dream.

Spoiler
    Show
    History: (1d20+3)[7]
    My Homebrew

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

DM
    After a quick discussion, the heroes decide to take some time to rest. Knowing a good spot, the closest cavern to the right, the heroes move there to rest. Once there, no one seem ot have visited this rest place since you took your rest. The cave is small but large enough for you all. You set an watch and get to sleep.

July 23, 1500, Morning :

You all wake up refreshed. Ace look a little uneasy, probably missing the confort of the inn. Still the Sorcerer start to prepare his augury ritual while you all eat. Once the ritual is done, Ace also eat while Bolerum and Monique plan their cavern exploration path.
    After about an hour, the group is ready to move. Bolerum take the elad and you guys move east then across the cavern using torch light to guide your steps. Once you reach the far eastern side, Bolerum guide you along the easy paths to the north wall.
    With the Paladin expert climbing skills, you manage to check out the three caverns before reaching the vertical ruins. There are more air pockets, than cavern. The two high ones comtains some brokne walls that surely is the cause of their creation when whatever process buried Magdebourg.

Once you reach the fallen street ruinds, Bolerum lead you above it, and as Monique suggested, you rappel into the ruins and search them out. You take your time there, as some parts are unstable and you dont want to get duried or anything. You quickly understand that these have already been searched in and out, as nothing of value is left and that the way things are positionned, someone must have moved things in there.

Once you are done, Bolerum doesnt see an easy path to grt to the lowest cavern on that wall and decide to use a small ledge to get to the next opening which is above the fallen tower. That cave also is an empty air pocket, except for the half broken wall it contains.

Being close to one side of the tower, Bolerum guide the heroes down to the tower. It is made of grey and black stones and seem in good shape, except of course the part against the chasm wall, which is broken up. There is no opening that you can see from above that let you see in the tower, even where the tower lay against the wall, making you get the impression that the chasm closed onto it. It look solid enough and you can walk on it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ok, moved things forward.

I assumed you all carry torches (which takes an hand unless it is a everburning torch which you can hang on yourself).

You all get the effect of a full rest (Ace, see you personnal Thread)

Ace does his augury, I need the quesiton he ask (use your personnal thread for that). I assume you guys will have discussed about the augury and all, so the roleplay you do about it can be considered to be done there if you want.
    I simply moved things forward up to a point of interest (at least to some of you lol) to keep the game moving.

The vertical ruins look empty, but if you wanted to do an active search, roll a perception (who knows)

You searched cavern 1 (sleep), 2, 3, 4, and 10.

I added two greenish area on the tower. Since the tower is round, it side (the greenish area) cannot be standed upon. You have to climb (DC 15) where you move there).

You are standing on the lowest side BTW,but you can easyly walk on the safe area of the tower across the chasm if you want (it slowly slope up , ending 20 feet higher on the other side).

What do you do?

NOTE : If you wanted to do some other skills rolls in the (caverns/ruins) you can roll them .

Players Status
    Spoiler
    Show

(W13) Bolerum: 53/53, TEMP HP = 0, Healing surges : 12/12

(L9) Monique : 41/44, TEMP HP = 0 , Healing surges : 8/8

(V13) Ashe : 49/49, TEMP HP = 0, Healing Surges : 7/7

(V10)Ace 42/42, TEMP HP = 0, Healing Surges : 4/6

Map:
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

The orange dot is the torch hung to the wall.
    The light grey circles on the floor are stones (difficult terrain)
    The red brownish are the tunnel wall.
    Blackness is undiscovered area.
    The empty yellow square are the light radius of the torches (consider area not in the square in darkness - superior concealment)
    The light grey in -P36 area is the chasm (roughly 100 feet deep).
    I used icons for caverns, as usual the number in the bracket is location VS your position (Ledge = 0)
    The stone tower is clobberstone feature (-S23)
    The green area is the vertical ruins.
    (T) beside a name means the creature carry a torch.
    The bottom of the Chasm is (-20)
    The light greenish area on the fallen tower represetnt he side of the round tower, which you cannot stand onto (must climb, DC 15).
    The yellow empty square is the light radius.

To help you understand my poor english description, I've drawn a rough image of what it look like if you look at it from the east (Side view).
    Spoiler
    Show

Redish Brown is the cavern wall
    Green area are the ruins
    Black/Grey cilinder is the fallen tower.
    Red dot is where you are (on the ledge)

Here is a map a map of the vertical ruins (Note that the letter should be replaced by altitude. F= 0, E=+1, G=-1)
    Spoiler
    Show

Brown is the regular wall
    Clobberstone is the part that look like streets and city ground.
    Grey line are stone wall ruins
    Black section are still complete building (roofs).

If you have question and there is stuff that doesnt make sense or that you cannot understand, ask me more details.
    I just hope this make at least enough sense that you understand it.

Last edited by Dekkah; 2012-11-28 at 11:08 AM.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

Ace
    When the sorcerer wakes up, he's got a massive headache. Despite the pain, he works through his morning augury, asking the fates why they have delivered these painful visions to him night after night. When he rises from his reverie, he faces his companions. I asked the cards why I've been receivin' visions o' undead in ol' Magdebourg an' I been retreatin' t'the Arcana Stellar Academy in those dreams. Apparently, the Vistani share some sort of connection with ol' Magdebourg. And as I suspected, the cards hinted that there might be undead down 'ere. We should be careful, an' I think we should try t'get inside this fallen tower.
    My Homebrew

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

DM
    When Ace mention the need to access the tower, Bolerum take some time to climb down and around the tower on the cliff, to see if the junction between the tower and chasm is completly sealed. He quickly find out that there is no access from that way, but his torch light reveal a window frame under the tower. Simple climbing isnt really possible get in there since it is right under it, but with secured rope from above, it might be possible.

Spoiler
    Show
    I took the liberty of adding this detail, as I assume it is something you will do if you look for an entry.

The window is in -S21, on the other side of the tower, 45 feets or so (9 Squares) off the ground below.

Last edited by Dekkah; 2012-11-29 at 03:49 PM.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Troll in the Playground

Bolerum

"Think you could fly us down, Ace? Otherwise, I can use a rope."

14. - Top - End - #134
    Titan in the Playground

Ace
    The sorcerer thinks for a moment. Just myself an' one other, not the lotta us... Can we use that?
    My Homebrew

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Ashe

Ashe takes a moment to rummage through his gear while pondering Ace's words. If you and Bol fly down and through that window, you can secure the rope inside the tower. If Monique and I secure the other end up here, it shouldn't be a big job to harness ourselves to the line and reach the window that way.

Spoiler
    Show
    Thinking of rigging a sort of harness up for monique and I, this would allow us to clip to the rope and slide the harness along the line until we reach the window. If we can get both ends of the rope firmly secured and take out all the slack, it should work fairly well. If more details are needed, I can certainly elaborate on knots etc that would be appropriate.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

DM
    The group of heroes decide to go with Ashe idea. Ashe start by nailing a few pitons onto the tower top above the window. then lend a few pitons and his hammer to bolerum. Monique and Ashe then stay atop the tower, while Ace and Bolerum climb down the cliff side to line position themselves under the tower, knowing that the flight power would not let them fly long enough to go around it from the top. Ashe throw an end of his rope to Bolerum, then Ace activate his magic, letting them both fly into the tower, Ashe following them as they fly forward to position himself above the window.

Ace and Bolerum :
    Spoiler
    Show
    As the two heroes enter the tower, they immediatly are assaulted by a burnt and decaying flesh smell. They also easyly spot the source of this smell : two charred goblins corpse in the room which look relatively fresh. There is also some bones, remains of creatures which died long ago, and ancient broken and half rotten furnitures pilled up on your floor.

After the initial shock of the putrid smell, they look at the room itself. It is easy to guess which wall of the room, the north one, was the orignal floor of the tower when it was standing. You know because of the stone staiway, which would had led to the upper room would the tower still be standing. That stairway goes along the circular wall, which is is your celling now that tower have fallen, positioning it above your heads. It ends at the highest part of your southern wall, roughly 35 feet high, which is the only access what you'd call the southern room now.

The access to the northern room is more accessible, and you see a similar stairway in the other room going down with the same circular pattern. Anyone with good agility or strenght could use the ascending east wall to climb onto that access.

There doesnt seem to be any light source in those room, nor any suspicious sound, beside the ones your brought and make.

Spoiler
    Show
    There is two map in one, the above view as usual (which we use for coordinates) and the side view (circle in the red square) to give you an idea of the 3rd dimension of the room (so you know how much you have to climb and stuff like that).

To move into the north room (from H8 to G8), a simple DC 10 Atheltic or Acrobatic skill check (part of movement) is needed. One (and only one) creature can stand onto the wall betwen those squares if he want.

Going to the south room will require an hard athletics to climb the wall (DC 22) or other means (rope to lower DC, flight, telelport, etc.)

Also, as noted in the map explanation bellow, the floor angle up in row 3 and 7 (Blue shade on the floor), making it hard to stand there : Creatures hit on those squares make a saving throw or fall prone.
    The floor in row 2 and 8 (Orange shade) is too steep to stand upon : A creature can move there, but it count as difficult terrain and if a creature end any turn there, it automaticly slide to row 3 or 7 (same line). If that square is occupied, the creature fall prone in the occupied square.

Map :
    Spoiler
    Show

Brown are the chasm cliffs.
    Blackness is the chasm itself (ground is 45 feet bellow the tower window)
    Yellow square is the open windows on the ground (leading to a 45 feet drop)
    Furniture and rubbles count as difficult terrain.
    The floor angle up in row 3 and 7 (Blue shade on the floor), making it hard to stand there : Creatures hit on those squares make a saving throw or fall prone.
    The floor in row 2 and 8 (Orange shade) is too steep to stand upon : A creature can move there, but it count as difficult terrain and if a creature end any turn there, it automaticly slide to row 3 or 7 (same line). If that square is occupied, the creature fall prone in the occupied square.
    The floor slowly rise from the north to the south, but not enough to cause any condition.
    The Darkgreen line is the rope you secured and goes out from the window.

The circle in the Red square is a representation of the wall between G and H lines (side view).
    You can see the window on the floor (Yellow), the sloping area (as described above) and furnitures. You also can see the positions of the stairways (Red dot being the start of the stairway on that wall) and the access to the other rooms. The Green one lead to the room on G side, while the pink one lead to the room on K side (which is throught the wall between J and K ).
    The Darkgreen line represent the rope you secured.

Everyone :
    Spoiler
    Show
    So Ace and Bolerum entered the tower, while Ashe and Monique stayed outside on top of the tower.

What do you do from there exactly?

Bolerum/Ace, there is no evident feature you can secure the rope to (pitons probably will be required - you can always search the room first if you want with active perception).

Ashe/Monique : I assume you will secure the rope to the pitons and prepare yourself (harness), but you can roleplay it or something else. Note that I assume that you dont see what is inside (that is why i spoilered it for bolerum and Ace eyes only), unless someone yell its description to you.
    Last edited by Dekkah; 2012-11-30 at 05:12 PM.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Troll in the Playground

Bolerum

Wrapping the rope around his waist, Bolerum braces himself against the sides of the window before sharply tugging the rope twice to signal the others.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Troll in the Playground

"Good thing I'm not afraid of heights," Monique laughs, waiting for Ashe to go first to show her how its done.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Titan in the Playground

Ace
    Spoiler
    Show
    The sorcerer explores the room, looking for clues that line up with his dream or for more evidence the room has been tampered with. He also inspects the charred goblin corpses.

Perception: (1d20+3)[5] to inspect the room
    History: (1d20+3)[20] to line up details with his dream
    Arcana: (1d20+10)[25] to detect magic
    Heal: (1d20+3)[5] to study the dead goblins
    My Homebrew

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Ashe

Upon reaching the interior of the tower, Ashe waits for Monique to join them before driving another piton into the "floor" of the tower near the window and securing the rope for their departure.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ashe will use a special kind of knot, don't remember the name at the moment. The general idea is that as long as there is tension on the rope, the knot is sound and will never slip. Once we untie the other end from up above, the line will become slack and the knot comes undone allowing us to retrieve the rope. There is at least one of these in my knot book under the climbing knots section but I can't recall the name at the moment.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

DM
    Ashe climb down the rope, but once he reach the lower part, he realise that he need to spin around to be able to climb back up into the tower. This isnt as easy done as he expected, but he still manage to do it in roughly 2 minutes.

As he enter the room, he sees what his others allies found out and is immediatly are assaulted by a burnt and decaying flesh smell. He easyly spot the source of this smell : two charred goblins corpse in the room which look relatively fresh. There is also some bones, remains of creatures which died long ago, and ancient broken and half rotten furnitures pilled up on the floor.

It is easy to guess which wall of the room, the north one, was the orignal floor of the tower when it was standing. You know because of the stone staiway, which would had led to the upper room would the tower still be standing. That stairway goes along the circular wall, which is your celling now that tower have fallen, positioning it above your heads. It ends at the highest part of your southern wall, roughly 35 feet high, which is the only access what you'd call the southern room now.

The access to the northern room is more accessible, and you see a similar stairway in the other room going down with the same circular pattern. Anyone with good agility or strenght could use the ascending east wall to climb onto that access.

There doesnt seem to be any light source in the rooms, nor any suspicious sound, beside the ones your brought and make.

Ashe sees that Bolerum did not fix the rope as expected and simply use himself as anchor. Meanwhile, Ace is searching the room and corpses. The elf decide to wait and give an hand to Monique.

Once Monique receive the signal that Ashe is in, she climb down. The bard have slightly more troubles to flip around and climb up than Ashe had, but once she is close enough, Ashe manage to help her in.

Spoiler
    Show
    You all are in the room, Ashe can retreive the rope as explained if he wants and nail pitons if he wants - add it to your next post if you do)

Ace finished his search (see your private post for result)

What do you do?

There is two map in one, the above view as usual (which we use for coordinates) and the side view (circle in the red square) to give you an idea of the 3rd dimension of the room (so you know how much you have to climb and stuff like that).

To move into the north room (from H8 to G8), a simple DC 10 Atheltic or Acrobatic skill check (part of movement) is needed. One (and only one) creature can stand onto the wall betwen those squares if he want.

Going to the south room will require an hard athletics to climb the wall (DC 22) or other means (rope to lower DC, flight, telelport, etc.)

Also, as noted in the map explanation bellow, the floor angle up in row 3 and 7 (Blue shade on the floor), making it hard to stand there : Creatures hit on those squares make a saving throw or fall prone.

Map :
    Spoiler
    Show

The floor angle up in row 3 and 7 (Blue shade on the floor), making it hard to stand there : Creatures hit on those squares make a saving throw or fall prone.
    The floor slowly rise from the north to the south, but not enough to cause any condition.

The circle in the Red square is a representation of the wall between G and H lines (side view).
    You can see the window on the floor (Yellow), the sloping area (as described above) and furnitures. You also can see the positions of the stairways (Red dot being the start of the stairway on that wall) and the access to the other rooms. The Green one lead to the room on G side, while the pink one lead to the room on K side (which is throught the wall between J and K ).
    Last edited by Dekkah; 2012-12-02 at 02:42 PM.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

Ace
    I ain't no expert in the healin' arts, but these goblins stink somethin' fierce. They died sometime in the last coupl'a weeks... I don't like the sound a that. We should be careful in here, look fer traps like those runes back at the temple... I don't want t'meet whatever befell these greenskins unaware-like.
    My Homebrew

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Ashe

Once Monique is safely inside the tower, Ashe drives a piton in place and ties off the rope. There, the line is secure in case we need to me a hasty exit. I suggest we start with the room that is easier to reach. Ashe then moves to the doorway that is easier to access and looks into the room beyond.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

DM
    Ashe move up along the wall and catch the opening ledge leading to the northern room. Placing his torch onto the wall, Ashe lift himself up enough to see into the room beyong.

He sees that the other room old floor didnt appear to have resisted when the tower fell. It lay crumbled onto the floor giving full access to what should have been the next room. The elf light source isnt enough to fully light the area up to the cliff that should be beyong .

On the floor, more goblins corpse lay half burned among the rubbles. That room stairway spiral along the wall like to other, but that one goes toward the lower part of the room and could be used to help climb down, or up from that side.

Spoiler
    Show
    I assume that you placed your torch into the opening to illuminate the area (well as much as possible).

There is a DC 10 acrobatic or athletic to climb onto the opening (you dont have to roll unless you have some time restraint (no need for now). On the other side, there is no skill check required if you use ->F8->G8 path because of the stairway you can see on the map (dark green blocks), otherwise you have to roll the skill check.

Map :
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #145
    Troll in the Playground

Bolerum

"It was no trap. We'll find what killed them soon enough."

Bolerum climbs ahead of the group.

Spoiler
    Show
    Heal (cause of death): (d20+3)[8]

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

DM
    Bolerum check the corpses in the first room, then move to the next to check those corpse wounds as well. He find nothing of interest on the first three he search, except that they already been looted of valuables.

His torch light reveal the chasm natural wall and a small cavern opening a few feet off the floor level.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ok Bolerum moved and checked the corpse (he is checking the corpse in E7)

I'd like everyone else to choose where they are on the map - you can post what you would have been doing while Bolerum checked the corpses and moved forward - (anywhere between F and J line) and roll initiative if you havent already.

Initiative will start once you all positionned yourselves and provided initiative.

Map :
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Ashe

Ashe vaults up and through the entry after Bolerum but stays behind the heavily armored paladin.

Spoiler
    Show
    G6, already rolled initiative

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

DM
    Bolerum is looking at the goblin corpse in the middle of the north room, Ace and Ashe are slowly moving into the room and Monique is having trouble climbing up the opening, when a burst of darkness errupt 10 feet above the paladin's heads. It instantly expand and everyone except the bard are covered by barkness for a second, feeling dark magic assault their minds. Monique can only watch as her friends dissapear and a 20 feet high black wall of energy.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ok, you all are surprised except Ashe... damn even a 20 was not engouh to succeed a stealth VS that elf!

Bolerum and Ashe, check your private thread for information on your situation

Surprise round :

TG :
    Start of turn : Leaking soul : ????
    Standard : Hellfire Prison, Close burst 2 at E5 (2 square up)
    Effect : The burst create a zone. The zone blocks line of sight and effect to creatures outside of the zone. Whenever an enemy willingly and fully leaves the zone, or targets a creature outside of the zone, that enemy takes ??????? damages. An enemy that is moved out of the zone with forced movement, has ???????.
    Attack on Ace (+2 (CA - Invisible)): 15 VS Will (Miss)
    Attack on Ashe (+2 (CA - Invisible)): 20 VS Will (HIT)
    Attack on Bolerum (+2 (CA - Invisible)): 15 VS Will (Miss)

Hit : The target is teleported to an unoccupied square on solid ground within the zone and is dazed UENT (TG)
    Miss: The target is teleported to a square of its choice outside of and adjacent to the zone.

SD2 :
    Standard : Charge Ace at A4 From (-B6), (+1 (Charge)), 33 VS AC, 5 damages and ???

SD5 :
    Standard : Charge Ace at A3 From (-B3), (+1 (Charge)), 18 VS AC, 5 damages and ???

It is Ashe turn (Surprise round = 1 standard only).

Note that I wont tell you all the details of the zone until you try it , but I gave you what triggers some effects.

Initiative :
    Spoiler
    Show
    Round : Surprise
    Ace......................: 25 Surprised
    TG.......................: 24
    Ashe....................: 15 <--Active Player
    Monique...............: 13 Surpised
    Bolerum...............: 6 Surprised

Monster Status :
    Spoiler
    Show
    (C3/G7), Hellfire Prison, Zone (Orange) : The zone blocks line of sight and effect to creatures outside of the zone. Whenever an enemy willingly and fully leaves the zone, or targets a creature outside of the zone, that enemy takes ??????? damages. An enemy that is moved out of the zone with forced movement, has ???????.

Players Status
    Spoiler
    Show

(??) Bolerum: 53/53, TEMP HP = 0, Healing surges : 12/12

(H8) Monique : 44/44, TEMP HP = 0 , Healing surges : 8/8

(??) Ashe : 49/49, TEMP HP = 0, Healing Surges : 7/7
    Dazed UENT (TG)

(??)Ace 32/42, TEMP HP = 0, Healing Surges : 4/6

Map :
    Spoiler
    Show

The floor in row 2 and 8 (Orange shade) is too steep to easyly stand upon : A creature can move there, but it count as difficult terrain and the creature grant CA while standing in those squares. If he ends any form of movement there(including forced movement), he must make a saving throw or slide down to row 3 or 7 (same line). If that square is occupied, the creature fall prone in the occupied square.

Last edited by Dekkah; 2012-12-05 at 01:34 PM.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Titan in the Playground

Ace
    Monique! We've got shades on this end. See if y'all can't git past the barrier somehow! shouts Ace, before turning to face his assailants. Hello y'all. Pleased t'meetcha. We'll put y'all back in the afterlife where y'all belong presently, says Ace to the undead in front of him. He tosses a card behind them and mind-boggling mists slowly expand.

Standard Action: 1E - Mists of Disarray, AB1 @ (-A)3
    Minor Action: Monster Knowledge Check

Spoiler
    Show
    Daily Resistance today is Lightning. Yaaaaay...
    I know what feat I'm taking next level .

Arcana Check: (1d20+10)[12]

vs. SD2: (1d20+9)[23] vs. Will; slide to (-C)3 on even hit
    Effect: On even roll, +1 AC UEMNT.
    vs. SD5: (1d20+9)[27] vs. Will; slide to (-B)2 on even hit
    Hit: (1d8+9)[13] psychic damage, and forced move.

Possible other actions depend on results.
    My Homebrew

30. - Top - End - #150
    Titan in the Playground

Ace
    With the mist dispatching his most immediate concern, Ace decides to do something bold. Try an' keep up, please an' thanks, Bole, says Ace with a grin as he advances towards the stronger-looking creature bedecked in magical items. He draws a single card from his deck and tosses it. As it travels through the air, it picks up speed and power as chaos boils the air around it and many colours begin to orbit the surface.

Minor Action: FE - Evil Eye of the Vistani @ TG
    Move Action: To (-A)3
    Action Point: 1D - Trump Card @ TG
    Free Action: Seed of Chaos

Spoiler
    Show
    Evil Eye Attack: (1d20+9)[26] vs. Will
    Hit: Cannot move closer to me and grants CA to me UEMNT

Trump Card Attack: (1d20+9)[15] vs. Reflex +2 if CA
    Hit: (3d10+9)[27] damage.
    Miss: (1d10+5)[15] damage.
    Effect: (1d6)[5]
    1. Yellow: Radiant damage, and the target is dazed (save ends).
    2. Red: Fire damage, and each creature adjacent to the target takes fire damage equal to your Dexterity modifier.
    3. Green: Poison damage, and ongoing 5 poison damage (save ends).
    4. Turquoise: Lightning damage, and you slide the target a number of squares equal to your Dexterity modifier.
    5. Blue: Cold damage, and the target is immobilized (save ends).
    6. Violet: Psychic damage, and the target takes a -2 penalty to AC (save ends).

Seed of Chaos: (1d6)[4]
    1. Ace gains a +2 power bonus to attack rolls until the end of his next turn.
    2. Until the end of Ace's next turn, the target of the attack takes 2 extra damage each time it is hit with an attack.
    3. Ace gains a +2 power bonus to speed until the end of his next turn.
    4. Until the end of Ace's next turn, the target of the attack grants combat advantage.
    5. Ace can make a basic attack as a free action.
    6. Until the end of Ace's next turn, the target of the attack cannot shift.
    My Homebrew