New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 47 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [4E] Grandpre Academy, Group 2, Part 3 (IC)

Ace
    That pit is... deep. I doubt the goblins will bother explorin' it's bottom. And they won't be all too recognizable after the torchin' an' the drop...
    My Homebrew
    Currently DMing: Heroes on a Sea of Swords - IC - OOC - OOC II - OOC III
    Many thanks to the very talented Kymme for making an Avatar of my incredibly-specific D&D character!

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

DM
    Once they are done with their activities, the heroes set up a watch order and they get some needed sleep. The night go well, except maybe for Ace who have a disturbed sleep and wope up in sweat once during the night.

July 24th, 1500, morning :

As they wake up, there heroes change most of their bandages. Their skin is still sensible but none suffer any infection and they all should be alright. Ace look like a train hit him though, not feeling too well.

The heroes quickly eat some breakfast, then they prepare themselve and move back to the entry point. Ashe and Bolerum prepare their grappling hook and throw it at the access to the next room at the zenth of the north wall. Once secured, Bolerum climb up first.

His torch reveal an other room, empty except many broken down funiture piled on the floor, that probably have been broken down when the tower fell. There is no corpses here, and no signs that anyone have gone that way in quite some time. Like in the other rooms, a stairway keep going along the roof leading to an other access to yet an other room. That access wont require rope and only minimal climbing skills to reach on the east side. The paladin help his allies to climb and once everyone is in the room, he pull up the rope, leaving one only on their side in case they need to escape.

Once everyone in on the room, the adventurers quickly search the half broken, half rotten furnitures, finding nothing of interest. They they move to the next room, Bolerum going first.

Once into the next room, they see that the stairway running along the wall stop there. Instead, it was a pillar in the middle of the room with a spiraling stairway that was used to get to the next level. Now that the tower is on the side, the stayway isnt easy to reach, as it is mid-air, from wall to wall. You can see the access to the next level roughly 20 feet from the floor. There is no furniture in this room, but something draw your attention. On the north wall, which would have been the celling when the tower was upright, you see two circles carved into the stone around the whole pillar, including the access to the next room and the stairway. The two circles are of different color and many runes are drawn upon them.

Spoiler
    Show

The grey is the north wall.
    The dark brown is the access to the next room.
    The black circle is the pillar.
    The two circles with runes are Orange and light Grey
    You can see the stairway (black empty squares)
    The red stick caracter is you

Spoiler
    Show
    Ok, I move you two rooms.

The two circle look magical.... you can do two arcana check if you want, one for each (specify which roll is for the orange and which is for the grey please)

What do you do?

Map :
    Spoiler
    Show

Brown are the chasm cliffs.
    Blackness is the chasm itself (ground is 45 feet bellow the tower window)
    Yellow square is the open windows on the ground (leading to a 45 feet drop)
    Furniture and rubbles count as difficult terrain.
    The floor angle up in row 3 and 7 (Blue shade on the floor), making it hard to stand there : Creatures hit on those squares make a saving throw or fall prone.
    The floor in row 2 and 8 (Orange shade) is too steep to easyly stand upon : A creature can move there, but it count as difficult terrain and the creature grant CA while standing in those squares. If he ends any form of movement there(including forced movement), he must make a saving throw or slide down to row 3 or 7 (same line). If that square is occupied, the creature fall prone in the occupied square.
    The floor slowly rise from the north to the south, but not enough to cause any condition.
    The Darkgreen line is the rope you secured and goes out from the window and from the high hole.
    The green line in room K to M, is the pillar in going from wall to wall (15 feet high mid air.

The Lower circle to the left is a representation of the wall between M and N lines (side view).
    You can see the positions of the stairways (Blue dot being the start of the stairway on that wall) and the access to the other rooms. The Green one lead to the room on M side, while the purple one lead to the room on Q side (which is throught the wall between P and Q ).
    Last edited by Dekkah; 2012-12-21 at 09:43 PM.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Troll in the Playground

"those look magical. Ace, you gettin' anything from it?" Monique says, some of her swagger returned now that there were no life-threatening monsters around.

Spoiler
    Show
    My hunch is containment circles!
    Orange: (1d20+12)[22]
    Gray: (1d20+12)[24]
    Thanks Gigi Digi for the avatar.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Titan in the Playground

Ace
    When they wake up, Ace looks as if his head was run over by a horsedrawn cart full of heavy metal objects while he slept. Another vision, an' the headaches are gettin' worse... Bill Foan died in Magdebourg's town hall, not in this tower... what does he want me t'find 'ere? he asks no one in particular.

As the party continue their investigations and come upon the circles, Ace does an analysis of his own.

Arcana: (1d20+10)[13]
    My Homebrew
    Many thanks to the very talented Kymme for making an Avatar of my incredibly-specific D&D character!

5. - Top - End - #215
    Troll in the Playground

"Maybe we've found your undead, Ace. That center cirlce is a ward versus undead. The other ones a teleportation ring of some kind, but its fancier than others I've seen -- I, uh, dunno the details."

6. - Top - End - #216
    Titan in the Playground

Ace
    Agreed on the undead ward, hon. Y'all got me on the other, ain't gettin' anythin from it. I'm still not knowing why I'm gettin' these dreams... but I'd like t'keep exploring this keep, if we could, t'see if it's the destination the dream's're sendin' me to. I can summon a stair o' cards, if we need a boost t'get up there. Not a whole lotta handgrips typically git build inta the floor...
    Last edited by Shadow_Elf; 2012-12-22 at 07:16 PM.
    My Homebrew

7. - Top - End - #217
    Troll in the Playground

"Well, let's see what's on the other side. Don't disturb the circles." Monique is ready to proceed carefully if possible.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Troll in the Playground

Bolerum

"If nobody has a clever idea, I'll head in first," the paladin volunteers.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Titan in the Playground

Ace
    With a snap of the sorcerer's fingers, his deck fans out and creates a stairway for he and Bolerum to quickly use to ascend. Ace then reaches into his bag and grabs his rope, which he tosses down behind him for Monique and Ashe. Best take care not ta disturb the rune circles, he advises.
    My Homebrew

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

DM
    After an analysys, the heroes decide to head to the next room. When everyone is ready, Ace summon his power and let himself and bolerum fly up to the opening access. with their illumination sources, they see an other empty room, except for a stairway along the outter wall going from the east side and up along the wall the bottom of the room, where there seem to be an other access to yet an other room.

Ace land atop the room access and set up a rope for the rest of the group. Bolerum, seeing no imminent danger take benefit from Ace magic power and fly down into the room. As he exit the access point into the room, he vanish completly from sight.

Spoiler
    Show
    The circles are built in the tower wall, you cannot really "disturb them" in the sense of erasing or breaking it... I'll assume you are careful and doesnt walk on it tough.

The blue square is the access to the next room (is on the ground level)

Ace fly up and hook up the grappling and rope for those in the room (green line).
    Bolerum fly in the next room and disappear as he enter square Q5.

Leewei , what happens to you will be told in you private thread (you play there for now), while the others can do an arcana check to identify what happened.

Map :
    Spoiler
    Show

Brown are the chasm cliffs.
    Blackness is the chasm itself (ground is 45 feet bellow the tower window)
    Yellow square is the open windows on the ground (leading to a 45 feet drop)
    Furniture and rubbles count as difficult terrain.
    The floor angle up in row 3 and 7 (Blue shade on the floor), making it hard to stand there : Creatures hit on those squares make a saving throw or fall prone.
    The floor in row 2 and 8 (Orange shade) is too steep to easyly stand upon : A creature can move there, but it count as difficult terrain and the creature grant CA while standing in those squares. If he ends any form of movement there(including forced movement), he must make a saving throw or slide down to row 3 or 7 (same line). If that square is occupied, the creature fall prone in the occupied square.
    The floor slowly rise from the north to the south, but not enough to cause any condition.
    The Darkgreen line is the rope you secured and goes out from the window and from the high hole.
    The green line in room K to M, is the pillar in going from wall to wall (15 feet high mid air.

The Lower circle to the left is a representation of the wall between M and N lines (side view).
    You can see the positions of the stairways (Blue dot being the start of the stairway on that wall) and the access to the other rooms. The Green one lead to the room on M side, while the purple one lead to the room on Q side (which is throught the wall between P and Q ).
    Last edited by Dekkah; 2012-12-24 at 04:25 PM.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Titan in the Playground

Ace
    Bolerum's vanished! shouts Ace back to his companions. I'm not likin' it... hurry an' catch up, so's we can figure out what all happened.
    My Homebrew

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

DM
    As Ashe and Monique climb up, Ace see no movement nor hear any sound coming from the next room where Bolerum dissapeared.

Spoiler
    Show
    I assume Ashe and Monique will climb up... coorect me if wrong.

What do you guys do?

13. - Top - End - #223
    Titan in the Playground

Ace
    As his companions climb up behind him, Ace extends his senses into the next room.

Spoiler
    Show
    Arcana: (1d20+10)[26]
    My Homebrew

14. - Top - End - #224
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

DM
    Monique climb up first, with Ashe help boosting her up. As she reach the hole and squeeze in it with Ace. The sorcerer seem to be peering into the other room, his gaze focused onto something you cannot see.

As Ashe climb up, Ace lean forward, putting his head into the other room and scan it. He suddenly lean too much forward and put his hands onto the ledge not to fall in and freeze up for three seconds, his body tensing a little, then he put his head onto the stone breathing hard and slowly shake his head.

Spoiler
    Show
    Monique and Ace are squeezing in the hole and Ashe is hanging on the rope ready to climb up into the hole as well (20 feet high - and can stay there without too much trouble).

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Ashe

Ace, are you ok? Bolerum has been teleported somewhere, any ideas?

16. - Top - End - #226
    Titan in the Playground

Ace
    The sorcerer holds his head in pain. More headachin'... that teleportation ring's got an enchantment on the stairway we're in. If we head forward like Bole did... we'll be in the Shadowfell, sure an' we will. An' I'm not sure we'll have an easy time gettin' back... but these visions... they've been leadin' me 'ere, I think. The tower, on the other side... it's still standin'. But it's fallin' apart, the natural decay o' the Shadowfell's gettin' to it... an' if the undead ward on the other side breaks down... the undead will flood into our world... this is where the visions've been leadin' me. This... could be a catastrophe what would make the goblins look like child's play... we need to get Bole back, an' we need a plan...
    My Homebrew

17. - Top - End - #227
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Ashe

Any idea why your eyes turned white there for a minute Ace?

18. - Top - End - #228
    Titan in the Playground

Ace
    The sorcerer shrugs. Planar disorientation? My second sight actin' up? A surge o' the chaos flows? I dunno, there's too much magic bouncin' 'round this brain a mine t'be certain. So, we goin' in after Bole, then? The sorcerer looks as tired as if he'd spent the whole day fighting and hiking, but it doesn't seem to dissuade him from wanting to go after the paladin.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ace will spend one of his two remaining surges to recover from that psychic damage, leaving him at one healing surge. And we have not even done anything yet...
    My Homebrew

19. - Top - End - #229
    Troll in the Playground

Monique scowls, "Alright, well let's get going, then. We can't just leave him ... wherever he is."

20. - Top - End - #230
    Titan in the Playground

Ace
    The sorcerer is the first to clamber into the Shadowfell after Bolerum.
    My Homebrew

21. - Top - End - #231
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Ashe

Ashe follows the others up and through

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

DM
    The heroes move into the other room, Ace first, Ashe second and Monique last. Knowing what to expect, the heroes arent as surprised when they feel a rush of speed and the world spin around, as gravity change direction as if the tower suddenly come back up in its rightful position. Ace warning was enough so most of them manage to land on their feet, and only Monique loose balance and have to put her hands on the floor to prevent landing flat on her belly.

The first thing they really notice is an huge difference in temperature as it is many degrees lower than a second before. Also, the air is humid, which add to the coldness of the area and an putrid smell assault the adventurers nose. Looking around, they note that they still is in a tower, which look quite the same as before. Along most of the wall, a long serie of bookshelves cover most of the circular wall. There is two notable cracks on the wall, one on the west wall, where the bookshelf is completly rotten and broken, and one at the back of the only other stairway going up to an other level. Dozens of books are scattered on the ground, most of them completly rotten. At first glance, the heroes have doubts they will find anything of interest among those books, as these seem to already have been looted.

Around your entry point on the floor, they see two magical circles carved into the ground that look identical to the ones from the room you came from. Behind them, roughly in the middle of the room, an access leading down to a spiraling stairway . Looking down, they see that the room look similar to the one they were before. Also, the room bellow room seem to be standing upright and the few cracks you see in your room seem extend to the walls bellow, which is different from the room you actually were before.

Bolerum was looking at one of the bookshelf when you appear in the room weapon in hand and he whirl around as you stepped in.

Spoiler
    Show
    Now the gravity as if the tower is standing up, so the flooring is round, with stairways and all.

Also roll an endurance check against the strong purtid smell.

What do you do?

Map :
    Spoiler
    Show

The brown circle represent the bookselves.
    The yellow and Grey circle are two circle identical from those on the wall from the previous map.
    The green small lines are rotten books.
    The blue dot is the bottom of the stairway.
    The red lines are cracks in the wall/floor.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Troll in the Playground

Bolerum

Seeing his companions, the paladin relaxes slightly, but keeps his sword ready.

"There are predators nearby. At least two rat-eaters, the size of men. Beware. The stench is from their latrine, there." Bol points to a befouled bookcase.

Spoiler
    Show
    Armor in full-AC mode.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Troll in the Playground

Monique tries to think about any useful info she knows about the situation.

Spoiler
    Show
    arcana roll on Shadowfell, portal magic that led us here (how to get back?) that sort of thing.
    (1d20+12)[15]

25. - Top - End - #235
    Titan in the Playground

Ace
    The Vistani is not totally uncomfortable in the Shadowfell; after all, the plane is the home plane of his wandering people. His heritage does not, however, give him any sort of adjustment for the smell.

Endurance: (1d20+4)[20]

Spoiler
    Show
    At least in the core 4e setting, the Vistani are actually from the Shadowfell, though their caravans can cross planes back and forth readily. It is possible that, given that, Ace has even been to the Plane of Shadow before, though obviously not this part of it.
    My Homebrew

26. - Top - End - #236
    Troll in the Playground

Monique is nauseated by the putrid smell.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+1)[10]

27. - Top - End - #237
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

DM
    Ace and Ashe quickly cover their face and manage to hold up their dinner just fine. With time, they manage to adjust themselves to the smell and know they can endure it.
    Monique isnt as lucky and she barely manage to hold up her breakfast, feeling sickened. After a few moments, she get it relatively under control, but is still incomodated, at the edge of throwing up.
    Ashe inspect the creature ****, while Monique look at the magical circles and around.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ashe and Ace succeed on their endurance.
    Monique fail. She doesnt feel too well and feels slightly sickened.
    She get -1 to skill checks and attacks rolls, until she is away from the smell or she throw up (you can spend an healing surge as a standard action to counter the effect - AKA throwing up).

Skill result in private threads.

Players Status
    Spoiler
    Show

(C6) Bolerum: 53/53, TEMP HP = 0, Healing surges : 12/12

(-B7) Monique : 44/44, TEMP HP = 0 , Healing surges : 8/8
    -1 to skill checks and attacks rolls, until she is away from the putrid/humidity smell or she throw up (you can spend an healing surge as a standard action to counter the effect)

(A4) Ashe : 49/49, TEMP HP = 0, Healing Surges : 7/7

(-B6)Ace 42/42, TEMP HP = 0, Healing Surges : 1/6

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Ashe

There are at least two types of creatures who defecated here. One were small humanoids like a halfling, while the others are some sort of hound. Still, maybe it is just the diet, but there is something unusual in the scat.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Titan in the Playground

Ace
    The sorcerer nods. A dark one and its pet, I think. They're the halflings of the Shadowfell, the same way gnomes are in the Feywild. The creature is a shadow hound, an expert tracker. I've dealt with a Dark One once or twice in my early years with the caravan; tricky little buggers, but civil. We might be able to speak with this one about where we find ourselves.
    My Homebrew

30. - Top - End - #240
    Troll in the Playground

"Ugh, that smell..." Monique says, nauseated by the terrible smell. After looking at the circles on this side of the portal, she shakes her head. "I can't really think straight in here, but this portal will get us back if we can figure out how ta use it. Maybe if we get some fresh air and come back..."

Spoiler
    Show
    Monique stays away from the poopy corner.