New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Vistas of a New World

VISTAS OF A NEW WORLD

OOC Thread

NEXT TURN START ON: October 26th (or earlier)
    Last edited by TooManySecrets; 2012-10-19 at 05:28 PM.
    Smart is knowing that Frankenstein wasn't the monster. / Wise is knowing that Frankenstein was the monster.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Vistas of a New World

TURN I
    1954 - Spring

RADIO

When you first heard of the portal, you don't know what you expected, but you certainly weren't expecting this. The entire setup is obviously adhoc. Arm-thick cables running throughout the building like blood vessels, controls and detector equipment in haphazard organization, and a simple 10ft radius area of bare sand and clear of anything else except for a single cable. Security is tight though. Armed soldiers are everywhere - mostly getting in the way of the scientists. There's a constant humming as the generators ready the capacitors.

You get ready.

There's a flash.

And the portal is made whole and stable.

It's like looking at mirror, except what is reflected is a different world. There's no little green men or purple trees or anything as obvious as that. But a different world nonetheless.

You and your men step through.

_/ _/ _/

The location of Special Logistics Staging District № 1 (man, that's a mouthful) is moderately forested and through breaks in the trees you can see hills and mountains. You are probably around a few thousand feet up the side of a gently-sloping mountain (at least, gently-sloping where you are) Any of you who served in World War II in the European theater are reminded of the Austrian Alps. According to the first expedition, there is native settlements further down the mountain, but they never made face-to-face contact.

The first job is going to be creating shelter and finding a way to keep supplied. You get supplies from the SLD through the portal, but the portal is intermittent.
    Last edited by TooManySecrets; 2012-10-19 at 05:30 PM.
    Smart is knowing that Frankenstein wasn't the monster. / Wise is knowing that Frankenstein was the monster.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Data Analysis Panel

"Well, this world certainly looks more familiar than I would have thought. I mean if we are going to a world where magic is real I would have expected purple trees or something" says Sebastian Mercer as he steps through the portal with his reconnaissance personnel. As they move to secure the area he looks around the area where they have emerged. Spotting a good location he motions for his men to follow him as he limps over to a flat area to the right of the portal.

"All right men, start setting up a temporary base camp here. Pitch the tents, and start making sure they are camouflaged. Sure when the other groups get here they probably won't take nearly as many precautions, but at least we won't be the reason we are discovered.

After a short while some tents and such are set up, and the personnel move to scout the immediate area, with the exception of a couple of administrative staff who stay with Mercer. They were in for a long few days. With the other departments coming as soon as the portal could be opened he wanted to make a good professional impression. Hopefully they could get some basic facilities set when they arrived. Or at least some descent latrines.
    "The AI does not hate you, nor does it love you, but you are made out of atoms which it can use for something else" - Eliezer Yudkowsky

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGirl

The Office of Liaison to the Anglo-Iranian Oil Company (OLAIOC)

Roshan shook his head, trying to get rid of the numbness. He'd been told portal travel wouldn't be pleasant, but it was still an uncomfortable feeling. More annoying though, was the cold. Keen to get started, he turned back to the portal.

Major Peter was a few steps behind Roshan, taking in the surrounding alpine landscape with interest. There were a few minute differences that revealed this as not being earth, but it otherwise looked very familiar. It was a comforting feeling, that made the beautiful visage even more overwhelming.

As he knelt over a nearby flower, inspecting the off-colour of their petal, Roshan blundered in, interrupting his reverie.

"How can you just be standing there? "It's freezing!"

Peter just smirked. They'd spent so many of the last few in the sweltering heat of New Mexico that the foolish executive had forgotten to pack any winter clothes.

"Fine, don't answer. We've got work to do. You can look at flowers later."

"Yes. Get you men to start building a base. These trees should be good enough material. Should only take a few weeks.

"A few weeks? There's fifty of us. How slow do you think we are?"

"We need to build bases for the other departments as well."

"What! These guys are chumps! They can build their own bases. I've got oil to search for."

"No. We're here to provide support. Some of the departments didn't even bring workers. We've got our orders, and I will see them followed."

"Fine. Whatever. I'm blaming you if someone else gets to the oil first."
    Last edited by razovor; 2012-10-20 at 03:46 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5

WolfInSheepsClothing

CSF

SLD № 1

"We have hundreds of men, here. When we reach our destination, they will need food. They will need shelter. We will provide for them."

"What is our destination?"

"It is another world, one in which infrastructure has yet to be developed. Let us go forth, and see the world prepared."

The portal opens, revealing a mirror-like surface.

"This will stay open for three minutes. Just enough time for a song!"

Un-named mountain

"Никто не даст нам избавленья:
    Ни бог, ни царь и не герой!
    Добьёмся мы освобожденья
    Своею собственной рукой.
    Чтоб свергнуть гнёт рукой умелой,
    Отвоевать своё добро, —
    Вздувайте горн и куйте смело,
    Пока железо горячо!"

The song of the CSF is performed in 23 languages, continuing as they march through the portal, bringing with them the equipment needed. Judging from the smiles of the men and women singing, morale is running rather high.

"Alright, it looks like we've got people already working on getting wood and building shelters. That'll be good for the short term, but if we don't get something sturdier this place will be wiped out at the first snow. We can't rely on support forever, so let's get some facilities together!"

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGirl

The Office of Liaison to the Anglo-Iranian Oil Company

Peter watched the excited procession with utter bewilderment. He'd been told there'd be a few russians working with them, but this was something different. The US couldn't possibly be co-operating with the Soviets, not even the new world could achieve that, could it?

After a few moments peter decided it was none of his business, and got back to work. He'd spotted the group he was looking for as he was marking out the edges of the base with the workers. He'd gotten the briefly on the Data Analysis Panel. They seemed to be a conventional scouting force, but he got the impression something above his security level was being kept from him.

Walking up to their camp, Peter approached one of the high-ranking men and addressed him firmly.

"I am Major Peter Walsh, of the Office of Liaison to the Anglo-Iranian Oil Company. May I speak to Sebastian Mercer?"
    Last edited by razovor; 2012-10-20 at 05:29 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7

AssassinGuy

Data Analysis

to Liaison

A man with a prosthetic leg limps forward. Hi Peter, I'm Mercer. It's good to see other people arriving. Hopefully we can get set up here without too much difficulty. Now, did you have anything in particular you wanted to ask?
    "The AI does not hate you, nor does it love you, but you are made out of atoms which it can use for something else" - Eliezer Yudkowsky

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGirl

Momentarily surprised by the informal language, Peter quickly adapts, offering his hand to Mercer before speaking;

"I understand your department has significant scouting assets. We're going to need to find a source of clean water, and identify the local fauna and flora. If this is anything like earth, we should be able to find a source of food in the forest."

"Are you able to do that? My department has plenty of workers, if you need a hand setting up your base camp."
    Last edited by razovor; 2012-10-21 at 03:31 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9

AssassinGuy

Data Analysis

Seeing the Major's surprise, Mercer sighs, and says I'm used to working with people who know me well, forgive my informality. He then takes the Major's hand and says I am Colonel Sebastian Mercer, American Data Analysis Panel. My people will scout the immediate area for the next few days, and should be able to identify any flora/fauna that is sufficiently similar to earth. My people should also be capable of finding local sources of food and water, although it will be difficult to feed so many people in close proximity without depleting the local animal stocks, at least long term. We should really attempt to get in contact with the locals for some food, at least until we can set up our own supplies. Once that is doe they will probably try to observe the behavior of the natives. Hopefully find out information more specific than "somewhat similar to medieval Europe". Maybe even observe a few instances of this magic, so that we know what we are dealing with here.

As to the base camp, we will appreciate your help. my people will be mainly involved in scouting and won't have enough time to set up base camp.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Extra-Territorial Air Command

James Remy, turned to his team, asking So, grounds too uneven for a runway, we're stuck with choppers. Anyone here rusty with them?

Nope, don't think so, okay, I guess the replies came.

Okay, good, now move it, we need the more durable parts over here ASAP, not eight hours from now. I'm going to talk to Peter over there about the construction of a storage shed and a HQ. James replies clapping his hands.

OOC: waiting for Mercer and Peter to finish talking.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Sagara
    It's not Yggdrasil or Helheim you're facing, it's the cold rule that says the world demands sacrifice in exchange of hope. Destroy that rule and change the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fox Mulder
    I did not lie, I wilfully participated in a campaign of misinformation

Murdered by Furthur Maths.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGirl

"Okay. It'll be good to get a grip on what we're dealing with here. Hopefully they're not hostile, but it's a distinct possibility."

"Would you excuse me? It appears another department has arrived. I'll see if they need anything. Be back with a handful of men to help you in a few hours."

Major Peter departs respectfully and walks over to what appears to be a group of airmen, looking rather out of place in the middle of a forest.
    Last edited by razovor; 2012-10-21 at 03:42 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

James turns to peter saying Oh hello, I was just about to walk over to talk to you. Name's Captain James Remy, extending his arm in greeting.

OOC: I will not assume reactions
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

It's not Yggdrasil or Helheim you're facing, it's the cold rule that says the world demands sacrifice in exchange of hope. Destroy that rule and change the world.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGirl

Captain. Huh. Someone lower down the command chain. That might come in handy later. Best not to start things off on the wrong foot though. Peter shook the Captain's hand.

"Major Peter Walsh, Liaison to the Anglo-Iranian Oil Company."

"You're an airmen? I heard we'd have some air support, but I didn't expect to see this many of you. Regardless, your support is appreciated. We're setting up our base camp now, do you need a hand?"

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Yes, yes, I know what you're thinking, what's a captain doing in charge over here? Well, technically, its Brigadier General, but in the army proper I'm a captain they'll think I'm throwing up airs if I start calling myself general. I got medically discharged before getting a chance to be promoted higher. And yes, we need a hanger up, a mission control and some space set aside for an aerodrome later, preferably a lot of it.
    Last edited by The_Admiral; 2012-10-21 at 09:13 AM.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGirl

"I don't have the men to start on your air base this season. We need to get food, water, and shelter for everyone sorted out as quickly as possible.

"Plus, this area is a bit too heavily forested. Do you have any scouts? Things should clear up further uphill. We can build the air base there. We'll also need some proper building materials. Can you requisition those through the portal?"

16. - Top - End - #16

WolfInSheepsClothing

CSF

The CSF has split up in order to cover its task more effectively. Several of them are busy marking down areas for construction, while two of them are working to get the forms for supply requisition filled out. Most, however, are working to clear away some of the trees.

On the return trip from delivering the logs, one of the group breaks off to introduce himself.

"I overheard that you need an air base set up. We're already working on facilities for equipment maintenance and resource processing. We can set aside a space for your hanger and mission control, if you'd like."

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Fair enough, but as soon as you can, we need those long-ranged Mustangs up in the air and to do that, we need an aerodrome so as soon as the basic necessities are taken care of, we need that airfield. But all we really need now are barracks which I think we can share, a "shed" of sorts to construct and house a few scout choppers temporarily and a small clearing to launch it from. Your men can handle that? Sure I'll requisition the materials you need. If it is any help, I don't actually mind what is the "shed" made of since its temporary, just that it can house, four to five small choppers safely, and it's spacious enough for engineering work, you know how cluttered that can get.

OOC: this was in reply to razovor

Turning to the CSF guy, James says Thank you for the kind offer, but maybe we can talk about this later, my ma always told me it was rude to try to hold two conversations at once.
    Last edited by The_Admiral; 2012-10-21 at 10:22 AM.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18

WolfInSheepsClothing

CSF

"I hear you. See you around!"

Respecting the sentiment to hold but one conversation at a time, the CSF member jogs off to rejoin his group in clearing away the trees.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGirl

"We should be able to manage that. I don't know much about engineering myself. I'll send one of our experts over for the specifics."

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Sure, send him to talk to Roger over there. James replies, pointing to the head technician.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGirl

The Office of Liaison to the Anglo-Iranian OIl Company

"Right. That seems to be all for now, so I'll see if the...Russians ... need anything."

Peter looked around warily

"Honestly, it's more than a little worrying having them here. The Soviets are not our allies, for good reason. Hopefully they're not going to turn hostile. But we'll have to wait and see."

Major Peter turned and walked off towards the CSF encampment.
    Last edited by razovor; 2012-10-22 at 11:04 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

The Bureau of Extra Territorial Indigenous Affairs

After stepping through the portal Ambassador Hewitt stepped to the side so his men could bring the equipment and supplies through. In his impeccable grey suit Hewitt was a bit incongruous against the mountainous forest, but even on a completely new world there were certain standards to be maintained.

Looking around Hewitt noted that his men had finished bringing everything over. "Alright people you know what the plan is. Manson, take a few men and get the tents up. I don't know how fast the other departments are going to be building, and I for one don't want to be stuck sleeping on the ground tonight."

"Lawrence, Roberts, take your teams into the woods. I want to know what's around us. Kelly, your team's on point. Go get me some info on the natives. I want something more detailed than these tidbits the first scouts reported."

"The rest of you start preparing some options for the natives. We don't what these people are going to be like. So be prepared for surprises. I want contingencies to account for this magic, and remember just because the scouts didn't see anything more advanced than the Middle Ages doesn't mean they don't have it. It's not like the scouts went far from the portal site after all."

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

James walks towards his engineers and airmen who are only now setting up a simple tarp to keep the weather of the about to be constructed chopper's internals. He say's Good news, I have managed to score us a temporary hanger, lodgings in the about to be built barracks and a promise of an airfield.

A whooping cheer emits from the group.

He continues Sadly, these things are on the waiting list today I'm guessing a few weeks for the barracks and the hanger, so yall have to sleep in tents until the barracks are up.

A sound of disappointment washes over the group

So how's the chopper coming along?

Well, in the few short minutes we were given we managed to drag in most of the gear needed to put the chopper together along with some fuel. The actual parts will start being dragged in on the next portal opening. We estimate a month, tops before this tiny thing is up and running. Sure you want a Sioux?

Only thing we can get up and running in a reasonable amount of time. When the field is built, I'll see about the Mustangs.

EOT
    Extra-Territorial Air Command - End of Turn Report
    1st Special Operations Squadron
    Spoiler
    Show

Begin construction of a scout helicopter under a simple "tent" when the promised temporary hanger is completed, the construction is moved there. Once construction is complete, scouting missions are flown to map out the surrounding areas, taking great care to not be noticed by the natives. More scouts are constructed and flown on mapping missions as soon as possible.

HQ is set up in the temporary hanger
    Last edited by The_Admiral; 2012-10-23 at 05:47 PM.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24

Alpha Squad
    Task: Establish Base camp and start on project Epsilon

As the group emerged from their portal, a hierarchy was easily seen. The top of the groups ladder was a middle aged woman with short hair tucked inside of a military-esque cap, her second in command was a tall man, dark skinned with the companies logo and the US' flag on his uniform.

"Alright boys, our current tasks are establish Base camp and echo task. If you read the report like you were supposed to, you would know what that is. Now, I'll take a look around and find something I like higher up the mountain, the rest of you send Johnson to talk with the other groups."

When no one spoke, Shrin made her way up the mountain a little while the youngest of the group, a white man with brown hair, sheepishly emerged to make his way to the nearest camp to talk. The rest of them went through the gear they had and waited.

After about ten minutes, Shrin made her way back.

"All right everyone, we'll leave Johnson here while we set up a camp on a flat area about five minutes up. Its nice and flat, and should suit our starting purposes very nicely."

(As this is likely to be my only post till Friday, gonna make an EOT now)

Alpha Squad

Research: Find some iron, coal, and other metal deposits nearby so they aren't completely reliant on the other side.

Military/Industry: Build, and fortify a basic base camp.

Industry: Get the basics of production for the metal and more complex parts started.
    Last edited by Durmatagno; 2012-10-23 at 07:43 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25

Armed Security and Militairy Command

1st Extra-Territorial Infantry Division

Lt. Colonel Davids and his man got through the portal later then expected. Seeing the other departments already starting to set up camp he smiles.

I want a defensive perimeter asap! Do not engage the natives unless attacked. For now this is a diplomatic exploration mission.

Davids then turns to the other officer.

Glad you all made it through in one piece. Sorry were late.

Militairy: Guard the perimeter and chop down trees.
    Industry: build simple defenses
    Diplomacy: Talk to encountered natives and try to establish trade for food and water.
    Last edited by Umbranar; 2012-10-24 at 08:31 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26

(I messed up and accidentally wrote over this post. Sorry)
    Last edited by TooManySecrets; 2012-11-12 at 04:50 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27

WolfInSheepsClothing

I wish that I had better internet access at times like this.

CSF:
    Economy - Department: +++++++ [2]: Requisition supplies and materials for construction.
    Economy - U.S. Government: + [5]: Put in a general request for additional personnel.

The Commune:
    Industry: +++++++[5]: Use the requisitioned supplies and local resources to construct facilities for the maintenance and construction of machinery.
    Diplomacy/Morale: Keep the spirits high as we labor to construct the tools we need to establish this outpost of Mother America!

28. - Top - End - #28

AssassinGuy

Data Analysis Panel

A Memo received by all department heads
    Spoiler
    Show

Hello fellow department heads. We have been scouting around the area, looking for anything interesting, in addition to trying to identify native plants and animals. Here is a summary of our findings.

We have a city in the middle of the valley near the river. It contains between 1000 and 2000 people. The surrounding countryside has another 6000 to 12000 people living there.. Mainly farming. The Using the river as a water source will thus likely attract attention. We have found several springs and pools, but we don't expect them to last long. Hopefully there is a tributary close enough to the base to be of use.

The plants and animals while superficially similar are too different to identify easily. It would be risky to eat anything that comes from this side before testing it. Chemically resting it will take a while however, aside form the fact that our department has no research assets. Perhaps one of the other departments could help? Or we could just ask the natives when we eventually make contact.

Worryingly our scouts have found absolutely no signs of any magic. Given that this is completely at odds with the preliminary reports it may be cause for concern.

- Sebastian Mercer

To Extra Territorial Indigenous Affairs
    Spoiler
    Show

We have recently noticed that your men have walked right into town, presumably to greet the natives. While we would have preferred to have a little more set up time before contact it's water under the bridge now. We would like to know what information you have gained through this contact. Also any preliminary observations for about the people living in the valley would be nice to know.

Also next time you meet the natives could you ask about what foods are edible? It would save us a lot of time doing chemical testing.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGirl

Office of Liaison to the Anglo-Iranian Oil Company

Roshan stood under the cover of a small shed, the closest thing they had to an agricultural expert standing beside him, both of them looking out the newly ploughed farmland. It was a dull venture, but Roshan understood the necessity. He was hoping however it won't be so difficult.

"The soybeans won't grow in this climate. The grapes are fine, but will take a couple years to produce a good crop. The grain can't survive the wind, we'll need to something about that."

The expert sighed, gesturing to the one flourishing field of clover.

"Of course, the only crop we can't eat, is doing fine. What more should I have expected?"

Roshan frowned. Why had his department been left with the boring work? Industrial arms and armour were scouring the countryside, finding iron and coal in abundance. Well, not abundance. The tiny size of their find was actually amusing when you thought about it. Maybe next time they'd consult the industrial experts before wandering off on their own.

"Any ideas?"

"Yes, but it's a little... experimental... Just got a report back from earth-side, should be possible."

"Can't we just build a wall?"

"Where's the fun in that!? This is supposed to be an adventure!"
    Last edited by razovor; 2012-10-27 at 05:54 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30

Armed Security and Militairy Command

Memo to all:
    Spoiler
    Show
    This is Lt. Colonel Davids of the ASMC. As you know, my teams main concern is the safety of the camp and its residents. Current problem is the lighting. Bonfires suffice for now but its may attract the wrong attention and it requires alot of wood and labor to keep them going. We can not keep the camp safe without light so not having any is out of the question. My combat engineers will work towards a more permanent means of defence but we need your help. Generators working on wood and coal to generate electricity will be much more efficient than the bonfires. We should try and get those through the portal from Earth together with spotlights. I will ask for machine guns to improve defenses. We want to work together to optimize camp security. Maybe some diplomats should be send towards the nearly settlement.

Lt. Colonel Mason Davids, Armed Security and Militairy Command.