New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Slang. I want it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobra_Ikari View Post
    Used by bros? Have you tried all the various versions of bro? Bro, Broski, Broduski, Broseph, Broseiden, Brochacho...I'm sure there are more. Generally, the more complex the bro, the more...unsavory the person, in my experience. >.>
    I classed all those word under "broism" "a word, the meaning of which has been altered by the substitution of 'bro' for one or more of its syllables"
    Many thanks to Ceika for my Avatar

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion
    Hmm, I had a lot of friends start using "epic" as a replacement word for awesome.
    Based on listening to my 11 year old daughter and her friends, I'll confirm this one.

Another they use is "fail" as a noun. "That was such a fail," for example, is something that they might say when they do something really bad in a video game.

And, of course, you can combine the two - epic fails, apparently, happen all the time. At least, judging by how often they say it...
    John Ling
    Frog God Games Lead Pathfinder Developer

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Another couple.

Mint = Awesome.
    Hundy = Awesome.

Wow... I didn't realize how many slang ways of saying awesome there are... Seems a bit redundant to me .

Peeking Druid and Sleepy Kitty Avatar by Kurien and Awesome Party banner by Akrim.elf .

4. - Top - End - #34
    Bugbear in the Playground

How have we gotten this far without mentioning "pwn" (that "w" makes a long "o" sound, for those who don't know) and it's various spin-offs -pwnage, pwnihilation, etc.? Most of the other slang I've learned is... forum-inappropriate, but that's the most common one I can think of.
    Quotes!
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    BY THE HEAVENS! Dimonite! You are even more awesome than I thought!
    Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    *high fives!*
    That was awesome, made me smile.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Witch-King View Post
    THIS aberrant, ancient evil ain't no playa! I'm gonna take care of my little Meduthids and my Spawnling Mama! Besides which--the Old Ones know the Elder Brain keeps pestering me about giving it some Grandspawnlings...
    The Neutralizer - my 3.5 class that attempts to make wizards less OP.
    Fantastic dragonpuppy drawn by my sister in the ancient times.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ettin in the Playground

Malaysian slang INCOMING!

Lah
    Use: I don't know lah, What your problem lah?

gostan
    Meaning: REVERSE!

kacang putih
    Meaning: Very easy

Macha
    Meaning: Bro

Walauweh
    Meaning: wow
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Sagara
    It's not Yggdrasil or Helheim you're facing, it's the cold rule that says the world demands sacrifice in exchange of hope. Destroy that rule and change the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fox Mulder
    I did not lie, I wilfully participated in a campaign of misinformation

Murdered by Furthur Maths.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

Weird NW portmanteau of hipster and bro speak INCOMING

Deck
    Cool. Not casually cool, but something that is really, really cool, in a cutting-edge kind of way.
    Have you heard the new Arcade Fire album? It's super deck.

Chill
    Also means cool, but in a more laid-back way, like when something unexpected goes in your favor or someone does you a solid and has your back.
    Yeah, I was late to class but my professor totally didn't care. So chill.

Pleb/Plebeian
    A person who is "mainstream" or not knowledgeable about indie culture. Often used tongue-in-cheek.
    Kyle and I were talking about new albums last night and he hadn't even heard the new Mountain Goats stuff. What a pleb, yeah?

HID
    A hipster in denial. The standard "hipster who hates other hipsters for being hipsters".
    He threatened to punch me after I complimented his hipster scarf for being so deck. Yesterday he was wearing flannel and rocking thick glasses. He's such a HID.

YOLO
    Alternate Definition: Used in situations of great caution or care. Used ironically to poke fun at people who use it seriously.
    I never drink and drive and I always wear a helmet while riding my bike. YOLO.

Swag
    Wealth or status. Often used ironically.
    Check these mechanical pencils, dawg. I got swag.

Dope
    See: Chill
    Man, Fight Club is dope as hell.

Bro (Also Brah, Broseidon, David Browie, and many more)
    Can either be a term of affection for a friend who has your back, or sardonically for guys who act stereotypically macho.
    Hey bro, what's up?

Ugh, those guys at The Vaccines concert were such bros. I could barely hear the band over them.
    Last edited by Raistlin1040; 2012-10-22 at 05:55 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by YPU View Post
    Real life doesn’t happen, it surprises you like a trap of a CR way above your level.

7. - Top - End - #37

Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tebryn View Post
    Certainly, but what's Bunny-Hugish about a hoody? I mean, Hood-y like Kitt-y, pupp-y. It's the diminutive form of Hood.
    How is it a diminutive? It's adding another syllable!

I have almost resisted the urge to add 'bro' to this post, bro.

I'm going to pretend to assume we call them bunnyhugs because if you use the pockets most of them have in the front they make you look a bit like you're hugging someone, and also it covers your ears maybe, I don't know. All I know is its a better name than hoody. In my personal, Saskatchewonian, always-used-bunnyhug opinion.

And also you don't have to figure out if the singular is a "y" or an "ie" because one never uses the word and honestly that's just more trouble than its worth and what do I look like, some guy who's not lazy?

[edit] ALSO.

During my highschool years I often heard the term 'balling" used in the same way as 'cool' or 'awesome.' Thus I can actually contribute to the thread.
    Last edited by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins; 2012-10-22 at 09:01 PM.
    The above post sponsored by Fullbladder Manufacturing.
    And so begins the Age of Extinction! The Year of the Dinosaurs! And the Reign of the Predacons!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avatar Credit: Kalirush, Lord Herman, Stoneburr, Simius Dr. Bath, Abardam, Fayt, Keris Rain, The Extinguisher, Qwernt, Kwarkpudding, Tiffanie Lirle, Djinn in Tonic, Coplantor, Crown of Thorns, and many more
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Festy View Post
    Fullbladder's awesome.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

How has no one mentioned "Shiny," meaning cool or awesome, I know there's Browncoats on this here site. And before you say it's from a show, I've known people to use it in real life, specially since other shows (mostly Castle) started to reference it. Also Frack and Frick as substitutes for the F word. I can't help but feel that I'm forgetting some other TV show originated slang, but that's all I got right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ertier View Post
    A good background is like a skirt. Short enough to keep my interest, but long enough to cover the important bits.
    Quote Originally Posted by FistsFullofDice View Post
    Derailed in the best way, thank you good sir.
    Spoiler: Homebrew Links
    Show

9. - Top - End - #39
    Firbolg in the Playground

Smeg! Red Dwarf :D
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

10. - Top - End - #40

To add to the discussion on Bunnyhug, it is primarily a Saskatchewan thing, I do hear it from time to time elsewhere though.

Re-reading the first post I realized most of my favourite slang really doesn't fit. The only really bro-y slang I know has mostly already been mentioned.

Dawg: Synonym for bro
    Hipster: it's pretty obscure one you probably wouldn't have heard of it.
    Easy: Slag for someone being, well easy to get in the sack.
    Stud: As in a fine male specimen
    69: ...

That's all I've got that I can think of that I didn't see mentioned already, based on the category you were looking for.
    Last edited by celtois; 2012-10-22 at 10:17 PM.

11. - Top - End - #41

Around here, it seems that the new word going around the teenage community is "childish"

meaning, in order of commonality:

stupid
    rude
    immature
    unfair
    unpleasant
    or as an adjective used to describe someone in authority (ex. You won't let me loiter in the hallways between classes with my twenty other friends? Stop being so childish!)

Other examples include:

Talking in a movie theater? Stop being so childish!

That garbage outside sure smells childish.

First graders have a childish intelligence level.

etc.

Edit: Also, around the gaming community there's "natural", stemming from a "natural twenty" meaning a critical hit.

It's used in the same way "boss" is. Essentially, radical, awesome, unpredictable, victorious, etc.

ex. That backflip you just flawlessly performed was so natural!
    A lightning bolt struck right outside my house? How natural was that???
    Last edited by Cealocanth; 2012-10-22 at 10:35 PM.
    Currently RPG group playing: Endworld (D&D 5e. A Homebrewed post-apocalyptic supplement.)

My campaign settings: Azura; 10,000 CE | The Frozen Seas | Bloodstones (Paleolithic Horror) | AEGIS - The School for Superhero Children | Iaphela (5e, Elder Scrolls)

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins View Post
    How is it a diminutive? It's adding another syllable!
    Don't blame me. Blame the language we speak.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

Speaking from New Zealand, I hear a number of these around - bro, swag, etc. - but we also have an extremely common one which I haven't seen mentioned yet. The usual slang term here for 'you' is G or gee or however the hell you spell it, pronounced as in the letter. Example uses include "You wanna fight, G?" and "Aw na, G, we're coo'."
    If I creep into your house in the dead of night and strangle you while you sleep, you probably messed up your grammar.

I'm always extremely careful to hedge myself against absolute statements.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Random_person View Post
    Speaking from New Zealand, I hear a number of these around - bro, swag, etc. - but we also have an extremely common one which I haven't seen mentioned yet. The usual slang term here for 'you' is G or gee or however the hell you spell it, pronounced as in the letter. Example uses include "You wanna fight, G?" and "Aw na, G, we're coo'."
    I have noticed, being from New Zealand myself, that this generally more associated with following of musical tastes.
    "G" is a shortened form of "Gangsta", and so it is more widely used by the fans of Rap and HipHop than by fans of other musical genres. Though I do admit that others have picked it up.
    Scary thing is, I can clearly remember when it first started getting used... Does that mean I'm old?

Peeking Druid and Sleepy Kitty Avatar by Kurien and Awesome Party banner by Akrim.elf .

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

There's also the -ster suffix.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by historiasdeosos View Post
    "Wicked", used as an intensifier. e.g. He's wicked smaht. It's wicked cold in heeyah.

Seems limited to the Northeast, to my knowledge. And it's an entirely different monster than using it as a plain-old adjective to mean "cool". e.g. That's wicked!
    Wicked is used in the SE as well. I use it all the time.

I also use Epic, Uber, Sick, Tight, Legit, and Clutch, all of which mean pretty much the same thing.

Twel: used in upstate SC as a way to say "bull****" without cussing.

Pigs, Bacon, 5-0, Po-Po: all mean cop

Go Tigers!

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ettin in the Playground

MORE SLANG!

teok
    cut of the "privates"
    If he win, I teok.

tembak
    Randomly pick answer
    If you don't know the answer, just tembak lah.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Sagara
    It's not Yggdrasil or Helheim you're facing, it's the cold rule that says the world demands sacrifice in exchange of hope. Destroy that rule and change the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fox Mulder
    I did not lie, I wilfully participated in a campaign of misinformation

Murdered by Furthur Maths.

18. - Top - End - #48

Sort of off topic, but on "yolo..."

I don't get it. You only live once, right? So why be stupid.

Exact conversation I had with a coworker:
    Him "I know cocaine is really bad for you, but it sounds awesome, so YOLO."
    Me "... I quit doing ecstasy cause YOLO."

I feel so damn old every time I hear it. And I'm only 20. Every stupid thing I did in highschool was done with a "**** it" attitude, but I always had that nagging feeling in the back of my mind that "This is the only life i get, why am I doing this?"

19. - Top - End - #49

Ah, but the argument is...

At the end of your life, you're dead. Any "accomplishments" you have cease to matter. Unless you're one of the few lucky folks who get remembered for centuries, you'll get forgotten before long. Nothing you do will last. Your children will pass. Their children will pass, until eventually your descendants don't even know your name, if your line doesn't die out. Anything you build materially will be destroyed. Your comfortable, cautious life will have amounted to nothing.

What, then, has meaning? What has meaning in your life?

The one thing that will never go away: the fact that AT THAT MOMENT you enjoyed your life to the fullest. Because your MOMENTARY enjoyment will never cease to have been. The passing of time does not erase a past moment. Caution leads to a continuation of moments of mediocrity, that in the end mean nothing. Risk-taking leads to a continuation of moments of AWESOME, that in the end still mean nothing, but you got to be AWESOME.

I lied, that's not THEIR argument. That's MY argument. THEIR argument is, yeah, basically "**** it, it feels good and seems like a good idea in my inebriated state right now"

I like my argument better. "Je ne regrette rien" > YOLO, if only because it's French and thus classier.

- Albert Camus

What. Is. This. Madness.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ettin in the Playground

I don't know how current this is in England, since my advisor uses these and he's definitely in his early 60s, but I've noticed two that stand out from his use of them in lecture.

Chappies. Mostly in the context similar to "So after he killed the king, Cyneheard killed all the king's chappies."

Wacko. Intensifier, almost always with a word of bigness. "And you have to wonder why it was that this king, if that's who he was, left this wacko huge load of goodies lying about."

Also, goodies to stand in for treasure, but that's smaller scale use for him than the other two.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ballar: A very hip, cool, and badass person, the word is used 90% of the time in a sarcastic sense. Inanimate noun: Ballard
    \A/ Why play fair when you can "Technically" play fair. \A/
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ah say ah canno' jump, ya' jus' 'ave ta' toss meh!

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quite sadly "rape" has become slang for overkill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AtlanteanTroll View Post
    Quite sadly "rape" has become slang for overkill.
    In all fairness I'm pretty sure using rape as a synonym for destruction does a have a history in literature, so I’m not sure how recent of a thing that it.
    "It doesn't matter how much you struggle or strive,
    You'll never get out of life alive,
    So please kill yourself and save this land,
    And your last mission is to spread my command,"

Slightly adapted quote from X-Fusion, Please Kill Yourself

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I suppose, but calling the pillaging and the destruction of Nanking "rape" and calling a 10 to 0 win in a football game "rape" are sort of different.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

25. - Top - End - #55

OldWizardGuy

Let's see...
    I've heard "Shotty" from my sister, which is supposadly the new "Cool", and "Shotty Not" being the "Uncool".

Aside from that, we've got;
    Pokey: Employment Insurance ("He's on the Pokey")
    Numpty: Someone unqualified, inexperienced, or lacking mental fortitude. Usually reserved for slow-learning new employees. ("Send a numpty to get it, I'm busy")
    Fung: F'ing New Guy. Usually these evolve into Numpties before reaching the final stage of Wage Slave.
    Gangnam Style: Op Op Op, Oppa Gangnam Style!~

26. - Top - End - #56

Quote Originally Posted by Acanous View Post
    Let's see...
    I've heard "Shotty" from my sister, which is supposadly the new "Cool", and "Shotty Not" being the "Uncool".

Aside from that, we've got;
    Pokey: Employment Insurance ("He's on the Pokey")
    Numpty: Someone unqualified, inexperienced, or lacking mental fortitude. Usually reserved for slow-learning new employees. ("Send a numpty to get it, I'm busy")
    Fung: F'ing New Guy. Usually these evolve into Numpties before reaching the final stage of Wage Slave.
    Gangnam Style: Op Op Op, Oppa Gangnam Style!~
    Shotty derived from Shawty, which means "Woman" from Shorty because women are short see. obviously.

- Albert Camus

What. Is. This. Madness.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    I like my argument better. "Je ne regrette rien" > YOLO, if only because it's French and thus classier.
    Carpe Diem > any other form of YOLO. Latin always wins.

Go Tigers!

28. - Top - End - #58
    Troll in the Playground

Not sure how appropriate it is, but Save My Dolphin made the rounds in this neck of the woods.
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #59
    Orc in the Playground

I've heard rad used a fair bit, but never without a trace of irony.
    Fiberoptic Elflord avatar by Guest#1!

"It's like we fell down the rabbit hole and ended up in Stephen King's basement..."

30. - Top - End - #60

Post Re: Slang. I want it.

"Ratchet" used an an insult. This is a pretty "urban" insult, and wouldn't be used by bro's except jokingly.

"Alright" pronounced "aiiight."

A bro wouldn't really say yolo except as a joke (just like ratchet)

"ball:" can mean either to have sexual intercourse, spend a lot of money...or play basketball. Mostly it's used as a joke, except when referring to basketball. So a baller/ballah would be somebody who does one of those things.

Legit. Bro's wouldn't say "clutch" or "uber." They might say "tight," often in reference to a really good hip hop song.

"Game": Used in a couple different ways. Somebody who "has game" is somebody who is good with the ladies. "Spittin game" is flirting. "The game" refers to the industry of hip-hop.

I'm pretty up to date on all this stuff. PM me if you have any questions.
    Extended Signature here.

Darth Vader avatar by Kymme

SWSE Campaign:
    IC Thread
    OOC Thread