Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 237
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Harthar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2012

    Default Harthar's Kingmaker Part One: The Stolen Lands

    Harthar's Kingmaker
    Part One: The Stolen Lands
    In Character Thread

    The call for those willing and able to explore the Stolen Lands was answered by a crowd of people from all ways of life. They, as you also did, gathered at the Lord Mayor’s estate to not only be given more information on what this ‘exploration’ entailed, but to also undergo a sort of interview process. After all it would be foolish of the Swordlords to send just anyone into the Stolen Lands with an agenda of their own and no loyalty to Brevoy. Whether your own loyalty was faked or genuine, it was found to hold just what they were looking for. You were chosen and each given a charter, signed by the Mayor on that very day, which read:



    With charter in hand, you were assigned to a particular portion of the Stolen Lands that you would explore, with the help of some other companions. Your group, one of the smallest and least equipped given the fact that your particular area of the Stolen Lands was believed to be quite peaceful and safe, consisted of seven in total, with an additional retainer following one of the ‘fighter’ types. Gathered together you are informed by one of the Mayor’s many stewards that you should prepare yourselves immediately and set off in the morning, it will be a three day journey and the Swordlords are eager for you to begin. With that you all agree to meet outside the city gates at first light and then part ways to gather what belongings you can carry yourselves into the Stolen Lands.

    The morning is perfect travel weather, sunny with clouds, but not the wet variety. There are many more gathered here than just your group and, in the interests of safe and expedient travel, you all agree to travel together with the three other, much better supplied, exploration teams headed into the Stolen Lands. Those in your own party who did not have horses found themselves hitching rides on carts.

    Day Three
    Toilday, 28th day of Calistril, 4710 AR

    After three days of uneventful travel your party parts ways with the other exploration teams and are left to carry on by yourselves. It is late afternoon when finally you spot on the horizon a small outpost of sorts. It appears to be an old fort that has been rebuilt, albeit haphazardly in some areas. From where you stand looking up at the crest of the hill, you can make out the ten foot high wooden palisade that surrounds the buildings within. At each corner of the palisade are square watchtowers roughly twice as high as the walls themselves; each of the towers has a large mechanism atop them that could only be catapults. Recalling the Mayor speaking of a small trading post on the northern border of the greenbelt, known as Oleg’s Trading Post, you make the connection to this humble fort; it must be Oleg’s.



    Making your way up the slope, via the dirty road, and toward the thirty foot wide wooden gate, which stands open and inviting, you have the opportunity to confer with your companions about the location and how you should proceed before actually entering the trading post itself.

    Spoiler
    Show
    OOC:
    Ok, so, you have arrived at Oleg’s. Once you actually enter the old fort I will put up a map to show you its insides and a new description as to what you are all aware of upon entry.

    Let’s get the party started, and have fun.
    Last edited by Harthar; 2012-10-20 at 08:20 PM.
    Characters:
    Harthar Damon, Playtest 5e
    Gedriwyn, Pathfinder, Aasimar Cavalier

    GMing
    Spoiler
    Show

    Harthar's Zombie Survival Game - IC - OOC - Repository - Signup
    Harthar's Kingmaker - IC - OOC

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    PhilMeyer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2011

    Default Re: Harthar's Kingmaker Part One: The Stolen Lands

    Dhovanu reins in her horse, stopping to consider the fort.

    Humans.

    The elf scout knows that this is how it begins. A trading post here, a fort there. Then a few cabins. Then villages, towns, cities. Farms, so many farms. Soon the wilderness is lost, replaced by 'civilization'.

    In her youth, she would rail against the expansionist ways of humans. In recent years she has started to see it as simply inevitable. Like a force of nature. May as well complain about the tides, for all the good it would do.

    The elf shakes these dark thoughts out of her head, for the time being anyway. She's here to hunt bandits, and that's what she means to do.

    Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: I figure we'll just ride up to the gate and go in, but if someone has a more elaborate plan I'll probably follow along.
    Last edited by PhilMeyer; 2012-10-20 at 10:49 PM.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground
     
    ApatheticAbacus's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Harthar's Kingmaker Part One: The Stolen Lands

    "Well well well," the halfling known as Crimson Vill says as what he surmises to be Oleg's Post comes into view. He lets out a private chuckle; not so long ago it would have been a prime target. Now, it's something else. "Let's go meet the locals, eh?" he says with a smile that makes his cheeks crease and dimple. "Speak for yourselves if you aim t' be stupid, but for me, I could do with a roof an' maybe even a little in the way of a stiff drink. Assumin' of course that they're the nice sort of local, that bein' the ones who ain't gonna start trying to fill us full of arrows soon as they see us comin'."

    He claps his hands together. "So 'til we find out, maybe someone big and burly wants to go first, hm?"

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Freeport, IL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Harthar's Kingmaker Part One: The Stolen Lands

    How can people live like this?, complains Winter as she approaches the fort. No snow, no cold, no mountains? No wonder this place is littered with bandits. They've probably got nothing better to do.
    Always write your character sheet as if you had to give it to someone else to play, and you had to accept and use the character sheet written by a different anonymous player.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DwarfFighterGirl

    Join Date
    Jul 2010

    Default Re: Harthar's Kingmaker Part One: The Stolen Lands

    Elanore Dulac


    Ela looks at the fort with its wooden palisade and smiles with her customary optimism.

    "It doesn't look bad at all. I'd certainly be glad to sleep indoors again, maybe even in a real bed."

    She slides off her seat in the cart and winces at the muscle aches. Her body was entirely unused to such exercise, and now she was paying the price of years of relative lassitude.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mari01 View Post
    How can people live like this?, complains Winter as she approaches the fort. No snow, no cold, no mountains? No wonder this place is littered with bandits. They've probably got nothing better to do.
    Ela glances furtively and curiously at the cold human woman. She nibbles thoughtfully on her lower lip as she considers.
    Last edited by Frivolous; 2012-10-21 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Forgot that Dhovanu is also female, so that makes total of 3 females.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    North_Ranger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Finland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Harthar's Kingmaker Part One: The Stolen Lands

    "Looks can be deceiving" comes a terse remark from the side of the cart as the young rider on a heavy-set bay brings his horse forward. "These lands eat careless travellers like children eat candy", the young man continued as he stood in his stirrups. His eyes did not look at the half-elven woman, but instead were observing the trading post with cool, almost disinterested eyes.

    Nothing unusual for Vasili, one would think. The red-haired youth with his worn boiled leathers and mended clothes was a far cry from jovial company, always on his guard, always caressing the brass decorations of his strange, Alkenstar-made weapon in its hip holster. Small brass studs tarnished with age decorated the old, worn leather of his gun belt and boots, and even now he tapped his fingers against the flintlock, as if contemplating whether or not to draw.


    Spoiler
    Show
    OOC:
    Wanting to roll Perception to see if there's anything suspicious about this place. Shall I do it, or is that the DM's prerogative? ;)
    IN MEMORIAM 1983-2013. Bot as necessary.

    Avatar courtesy of Elder Tsofu

    Halforums.com - For the love of God, don't ask about the steak.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DwarfFighterGirl

    Join Date
    Jul 2010

    Default Re: Harthar's Kingmaker Part One: The Stolen Lands

    Elanore Dulac


    Ela speaks absently as she does a few stretching exercises in her blue studded leather armor.

    "No candy, dear, not unless you finish your vegetables."

    Then she blinks and smiles brightly to cover up her embarrassment.

    "I'm sure we'll be fine."

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    North_Ranger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Finland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Harthar's Kingmaker Part One: The Stolen Lands

    A small, amused chortle pushed past Vasili's lips at the "scolding" he received. Lo and behold, he even smiled ever so briefly - certainly a rare sight on his face ever since they had rode out of Restov.
    IN MEMORIAM 1983-2013. Bot as necessary.

    Avatar courtesy of Elder Tsofu

    Halforums.com - For the love of God, don't ask about the steak.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Harthar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2012

    Default Re: Harthar's Kingmaker Part One: The Stolen Lands

    Gedriwyn drew his own horse up beside Dhovanu, the wartrained beast ever alert neighed and then side stepped twice away from the other animal before standing still. His own stare was directed toward the restored fort, dark cavernous orbs scanned the palisade and towers for any sign of life and further more danger. It was strange, he thought, that there was no one manning the towers even in look out for danger. That cold stare was torn from the fort and moved to each and every one of the companions that spoke, a slight smile appearing upon the usually expressionless features at the play between the cleric of Sarenrae and the red-haired man with the strange weapon at his side.

    ”Aye, a still drink would serve well after that journey. Perhaps even a soak in a bath, though with all this travel dust there won’t be much soaking, only a lot of scrubbing.” His slight smile escalated into a grin and then he turned that intense gaze back to the trading post. ”Let’s get up there and see what waits us. Follow me in but be ready for a fight, or to retreat, if there is any trouble. The inside of a fort like that is a terrible place to be ambushed...” He said last grimly, the grin faded. Without further talk he heeled the mount into a trot and moved toward the open gates, as he did he made sure to equip the heavy steel shield that is usually found on his back, but whilst riding is secured to his saddle for ease.

    Spoiler
    Show

    You can do a Perception Check, but at this stage it’s probably not necessary, maybe wait until we are in Oleg’s?
    Characters:
    Harthar Damon, Playtest 5e
    Gedriwyn, Pathfinder, Aasimar Cavalier

    GMing
    Spoiler
    Show

    Harthar's Zombie Survival Game - IC - OOC - Repository - Signup
    Harthar's Kingmaker - IC - OOC

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    North_Ranger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Finland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Harthar's Kingmaker Part One: The Stolen Lands

    "What did you think I was looking for... sir?" Vasili asked roughly, frowning somewhat at Gedriwyn's words. "I was trying to see if there's smoke rising from the chimneys, or if the trading post has been deserted. I wouldn't be surprised if it was, it is quiet as the grave in here."

    That being said, Vasili clicked his tongue and urged Ember on, one hand on the reins, the other on the handle of his gun.

    Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: Better safe than sorry, I reckon ;) Rolling Perception...
    (1d20+6)[14]
    IN MEMORIAM 1983-2013. Bot as necessary.

    Avatar courtesy of Elder Tsofu

    Halforums.com - For the love of God, don't ask about the steak.

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Harthar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2012

    Default Re: Harthar's Kingmaker Part One: The Stolen Lands

    The final ride up to and into the trading post was uneventful, and whilst it did appear that there were no great amount of people inhabiting this area it was tidy and well maintained. Once they passed through the gates the entirety of the trading post was laid out for them to see. As with most forts there was a large yard in the middle of the fort and the buildings were all spaced around the outsides, close enough to the walls for cover but far enough away so that if they, or the wall, caught fire the other would not go up as well.

    Vasili: You notice a few more of the finer details than the other members of your party at this stage; not only about the fort itself, but its location. Obviously it is on the southern edge of Rostland with the trees that mark the Narlmarches only a few miles further south. The trading posts remote location and inconvenient distance from any river trade is most probably the reason for it being so deserted and basic looking. Now that you are up close and personal with the fort, you can see that whilst the repairs were done well, they are not the work of an engineer or sapper, the usual professionals who build walls. Other than these small details there is nothing else that pops out at you.

    All:

    Spoiler
    Show

    OOC: Ok, so I need to photoshop an image of a wagon, heh, but for now just take it as that cart that is in front of the PCs. The other tile of the drawn picture on the front of the cart is the hireling who is in control of it. I used tiles made from the pictures in your sheets, and because Elanora didn’t have a pic, I took one from my massive stockpile and chucked it in there. If anyone wants a different picture, feel free to link me to what you want made into a tile and I’ll see what I can do.


    As the horses and wagon move through the open gates a large middle aged man and a slim, beautiful homely young woman move out from one of the houses. The man doesn’t come to greet the newcomers but rather moves off into the stables to the left. The woman, though, is much more friendly. She comes forward with a welcoming smile. ”Welcome, welcome. We have been waiting for your arrival. I have been telling Oleg that you would be here any day now, and here you are! Come, come inside, I have a nice hearty stew, some freshly baked bread and a refreshing drink ready for you within.” By the time she has finished speaking Oleg has returned with another young man, obviously a stable hand, and they see about the wagon and its mules. If the PCs leave their horses in the yard Oleg will see to them as well before joining the companions inside.

    ”How rude of me!” The woman suddenly cries, ”in my excitement I didn’t even introduce anyone.” She tisks herself, and then motions toward her husband, ”Oleg over there is my husband, and that is Gregory, a helping hand around here. I’m Svetlana, and this is Oleg’s Trading Post.” She is positively beaming with the presence of the PCs, so much so that she continues to speak whilst they do whatever they need to do before coming inside. ”Finally our letters to the swordlords have been answered and they’ve sent the reinforcements we asked for. See, Oleg, I told you to have some faith. Our bandit problems are over now that these guardsmen have arrived!” Although she is very happy, this last statement does take a bit of the excitement from her as she is mentally and physically tired from worry about the trading post and her husband.

    Should the PCs follow her inside, she will bring them to a round table upon which is a stack of wooden bowls, mugs and a chopping board with two large loafs of still warm crusty bread. ”Help yourselves, the stew is over there...” She points to the fireplace, above which is a large black pot with steam rising from it. ”and I’ll get you all a drink.” She hurries over to a table at the side of the room and grasps two bottles of mediocre wine, pouring each of the companions and drink. When finally each mug is full, she clasps her hands in front of her, ready to ask any questions the PCs might have of her before she rails them with yet more of her own.
    Characters:
    Harthar Damon, Playtest 5e
    Gedriwyn, Pathfinder, Aasimar Cavalier

    GMing
    Spoiler
    Show

    Harthar's Zombie Survival Game - IC - OOC - Repository - Signup
    Harthar's Kingmaker - IC - OOC

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    PhilMeyer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2011

    Default Re: Harthar's Kingmaker Part One: The Stolen Lands

    Dhovanu accepts her serving of stew and mug of wine gratefully. She gestures for her horse to be taken by the stable-hand.

    "Miss Svetlana, we are pleased to have found you unharmed. I am Dhovanu Tyreplith, and we are indeed here to end your bandit troubles."

    The elf gives an intense look.

    "Tell us of your predicament, and I swear that we will end this threat. Those who use force of arms to subjugate the weak deserve no mercy."

    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm trying to establish that Dhovanu really hates bandits, especially human bandits. Forgive me if my writing gets too cheesy.
    Last edited by PhilMeyer; 2012-10-21 at 08:48 PM.

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    North_Ranger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Finland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Harthar's Kingmaker Part One: The Stolen Lands

    "Indeed, what the elf said", Vasili added as he leaned against the wall, the bowl of stew in one hand, the spoon in another, the tankard of wine on the table. He had taken his time in the yard, making sure Gregory the stablehand was up to speed and coming inside only when he was sure the lad would know not to leave their horses and mules waiting for grooming.

    "Though, begging your pardon, I'm curious why they'd trouble you. You seem to be somewhat out of the way here", the red-haired youth added as he tasted the stew. His eyebrows perked a little, and he smacked his lips appreciatively. "Unless they're after your recipies, that is..."
    IN MEMORIAM 1983-2013. Bot as necessary.

    Avatar courtesy of Elder Tsofu

    Halforums.com - For the love of God, don't ask about the steak.

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DwarfFighterGirl

    Join Date
    Jul 2010

    Default Re: Harthar's Kingmaker Part One: The Stolen Lands

    Elanore Dulac


    Ela stares steadily at Svetlana as the human woman talks.

    The half-elven cleric of Sarenrae looks nauseated and grim for a few moments, then musters a return of her smile, but for once it looks forced.

    In a deliberately casual and joking manner, Ela says, "Wow, I think the number of women in 10 miles increased by a factor of 4 when we arrived!"

    "You must be pretty tired of being the only female around, Svetlana. Do any of you have medical problems? I am Elanore, servant of Sarenrae, and while I am no real healer, I'll see what I can do while I am here."

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Harthar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2012

    Default Re: Harthar's Kingmaker Part One: The Stolen Lands

    Gedriwyn dismounted after being greeted by friendly faces, instead of the angry potentially hate filled ones he had expected, and removed the shield from his arm, securing it this time to his back. He removed the saddlebags and grasped his backpack, following the others inside before depositing the bags in a corner out of the way. ”Thank you most kindly, Svetlana, this meal will do doubt be the best we’ve had in days.” He flashed her a charming smile before taking a bowl and helping himself to the stew. Instead of sitting at the table though, he moved to a wall and leant against it, eating the stew quietly whilst he listened.

    He was slightly confused when their host mentioned that she believed them to be guardsmen sent by Restov to protect their trading post and get rid of the bandits. Whilst their charter did specify that any bandits caught were to be killed, it did not exactly say that they should go hunting them down. It merely tasked them with exploration of the greenbelt and reporting what they found back to Restov. Being the man of honour that he was he could not allow her to remain disillusioned, though obviously he was going to deny helping them. ”Svetlana, I must apologise on behalf of all my companions, we are not the guardsmen you sent for. We have been tasked with the exploration of the Stolen Lands and no more than that. However, we will still give you aide.” He then fell silent, allowing the woman to answer the questions posed to her.
    Characters:
    Harthar Damon, Playtest 5e
    Gedriwyn, Pathfinder, Aasimar Cavalier

    GMing
    Spoiler
    Show

    Harthar's Zombie Survival Game - IC - OOC - Repository - Signup
    Harthar's Kingmaker - IC - OOC

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Harthar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2012

    Default Re: Harthar's Kingmaker Part One: The Stolen Lands

    Svetlana looked relieved at Dhovanu’s words, she was indeed glad that finally after so many months someone had come to help them. The words of Elanore the cleric broke the mood up slightly, allowing Svetlana a slight smile, though she denied any medical treatment as they were all quite healthy despite the bandit issue. To Vasili she replied with a broad smile in appreciation for the compliment on her food, however before she could start to explain Gedriwyn’s words were spoken. It also just so happened that Oleg chose that moment to arrive after seeing to the horses. He heard Gedriwyn’s words and growled angrily, throwing his hands up in the air in frustration, ”I told ye, woman, Restov don’t care ‘bout the borderlanders.” He fell silent and Svetlana gave him a stern look to indicate that he should remain silent for a while.

    She then spoke up, ”It is unfortunate that you are all not the guardsmen we had sent for, and I am sorry to have to ask you this but could you please help us? You see the bandits have started coming here three months ago. They take all of our trade goods that the hunters and travelling merchants bring in and then leave. They threatened to burn down the trading post and abduct me if we didn’t agree to hand over all of the goods we have accumulated over the last month. Since then the bandits have returned twice more, arriving each time within the first hour of sunrise on the first day of the month. The bandits seem eager to leave each time and so we have taken to preparing for their arrival, but for them to be so eager their camp must be within a days ride from here.”

    She paused for a moment and then began to fill in some more details, ”The first time they arrived there were two dozen of them; around twenty-two thugs led by a cloaked bowman and a woman who carried two small hatchets. The woman did most of the talking and she seemed delighted to tell me what the bandits would do to me back at their camp.” Svetlana seemed visibly distraught by this, thus it didn’t take much for the companions to make the connections as to what the woman threatened. ”She even, in a cruel bit of mockery, nearly chopped off one of my husband’s hands. I managed to persuade her not to but she took my wedding ring as payment for ‘not shortening Oleg’s reach’. She tossed the ring to one of her thugs and then they all left with the trade goods. The second and third times that the bandits came back, only the hooded man lead them and they came with fewer men each time. The Second time was only a dozen in total and the third was the hooded man and eight of the thugs. Oleg and I think that this time they will come with even fewer men.”

    She began to weep then, having finished her tale. Oleg moved over and draped his strong arms around her shoulders to console her. She managed to sniffle back some of the tears to ask for the companions help once more, ”Please, can you help us? You are free to use whatever is at the trading post in exchange.”
    Characters:
    Harthar Damon, Playtest 5e
    Gedriwyn, Pathfinder, Aasimar Cavalier

    GMing
    Spoiler
    Show

    Harthar's Zombie Survival Game - IC - OOC - Repository - Signup
    Harthar's Kingmaker - IC - OOC

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    PhilMeyer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2011

    Default Re: Harthar's Kingmaker Part One: The Stolen Lands

    Dhovanu's anger grows hotter as the woman tells her tale. She is somewhat put off by the accompanying tears, however. Weak, like a child.

    At the end of the story, Dhovanu answers.

    "There is no need to beg, or weep, or make such offers. We are neither mercenaries for sale nor are we heartless scoundrels to be unmoved by your plight."

    The elf turns to the horseman.

    "This falls well within our charter. We know when they are coming and have the element of surprise. I strongly advise an ambush."

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground
     
    ApatheticAbacus's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Harthar's Kingmaker Part One: The Stolen Lands

    Vill raises an eyebrow as Dhovanu speaks. "Speak for yourself, Ears," he quips at her. "I might be a mercenary for sale and a heartless scoundrel. And I damn well might think that it's a damn fool thing to do go an' sell things in a place where bandits live without any way to stop 'em."

    "But anyways, Ears here has it just about right besides that. We need t' kill them anyhow, might as well let 'em come to us while we sit nice and sound 'til they do. And when they get here... well..."
    A knife suddenly twirls into his hand. "I'm sure we can accomodate."
    Last edited by ApatheticAbacus; 2012-10-22 at 08:08 PM.

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    North_Ranger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Finland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Harthar's Kingmaker Part One: The Stolen Lands

    "For once I agree with you, Vill", Vasili spoke gruffly as he still held his post. He had spoken not a word during Svetlana's tale, the only sound made by the scraping of the spoon against the bottom of the small earthenware bowl. Now he stood there, his arms crossed over his chest, his scrawny back pressed against a support beam. "I am sure we can... accommodate them a few feet's worth of steel in the kidneys."

    The red-haired man's eyes then turned to Svetlana and Oleg. "You're right, though. Restov doesn't give a bent copper penny for borderlanders, as far as I know. Borderlanders do", he spoke, with a sudden flare of ferocity in his voice and eyes. "I myself grew up not far from here. And I think it's high time these bandits got what's coming to them. Count me in for an ambush."
    IN MEMORIAM 1983-2013. Bot as necessary.

    Avatar courtesy of Elder Tsofu

    Halforums.com - For the love of God, don't ask about the steak.

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    PhilMeyer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2011

    Default Re: Harthar's Kingmaker Part One: The Stolen Lands

    Dhovanu gives the halfling a cool look, but says no more. He didn't disagree with her plan of action, after all.

    The elf makes a mental note to keep an eye on the little person with an unhealthy fondness for blades.

    Halflings count on being underestimated, I must not make that mistake.
    Last edited by PhilMeyer; 2012-10-22 at 11:09 PM.

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Freeport, IL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Harthar's Kingmaker Part One: The Stolen Lands

    Sitting comfortably whilst others walk themselves into their own death? I'm all for it. From the sounds of your story, it seems like the woman you described might be in charge.

    Winter leans back in thought, scowling at the nearby fire.

    Even better, if their camp is nearby. We could just follow them to their camp and kill the whole lot at once. I'm sure you'll sleep a little bit better knowing that the people who tried to shorten your husband's reach got a little bit shorter right around the neck area.

    She draws her index finger across her throat at the last sentence.
    Always write your character sheet as if you had to give it to someone else to play, and you had to accept and use the character sheet written by a different anonymous player.

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    North_Ranger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Finland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Harthar's Kingmaker Part One: The Stolen Lands

    "No", Vasili spoke up at Winter's suggestion, giving the cold woman a stern look. "You heard what the mistress of the house said. There are more than twenty of the brigands. And they will give us battle if we chase them like rats."

    "No. Let them that come to take Oleg and Svetlana's goods come to us. But let none return to warn their comrades. Kill the ones that fight, spare the ones who yield - or whom we can take captive." Vasili's tone softens at this point, his eyes suddenly falling to the notched old sword at his side and the gun at his hips. His fingers run over the dented old pieces as he seems to drift off for a moment, borne by the current of memory. "Captives may give us the location of their camp, when facing the noose."

    The man looks up again, the earlier hardness returned to his eyes. "But we cannot suffer any of the brigands to escape and warn the camp. They yield - or they die."
    IN MEMORIAM 1983-2013. Bot as necessary.

    Avatar courtesy of Elder Tsofu

    Halforums.com - For the love of God, don't ask about the steak.

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DwarfFighterGirl

    Join Date
    Jul 2010

    Default Re: Harthar's Kingmaker Part One: The Stolen Lands

    Elanore Dulac


    Ela gasps in horror at Svetlana's recital.

    "A woman leads this band of animals? I can't believe it."

    "But if it's true, then she deserves death, most assuredly."

    "And of course we'll help you, Svetlana. And we'll get back Oleg's wedding ring, too, assuming they haven't melted it down or sold it."


    Quote Originally Posted by North_Ranger View Post
    "No", Vasili spoke up at Winter's suggestion, giving the cold woman a stern look. "You heard what the mistress of the house said. There are more than twenty of the brigands. And they will give us battle if we chase them like rats."

    "No. Let them that come to take Oleg and Svetlana's goods come to us. But let none return to warn their comrades. Kill the ones that fight, spare the ones who yield - or whom we can take captive." Vasili's tone softens at this point, his eyes suddenly falling to the notched old sword at his side and the gun at his hips. His fingers run over the dented old pieces as he seems to drift off for a moment, borne by the current of memory. "Captives may give us the location of their camp, when facing the noose."

    The man looks up again, the earlier hardness returned to his eyes. "But we cannot suffer any of the brigands to escape and warn the camp. They yield - or they die."
    Elanore nods three times in silent but emphatic approval of what Vasili suggests.

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Harthar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2012

    Default Re: Harthar's Kingmaker Part One: The Stolen Lands

    Gedriwyn also listened to the suggestions made by all and nodded at some, making no movement at others. Finally, after Elanore had spoken, he voiced his approval of Vasili’s plan also. ”Aye, that is the soundest plan. We ambush the bandits here, take one prisoner and get what information we can from him about where the bandit camp is and their leader, if it is in fact this twin bladed woman. If what Svetlana says is true about the hooded man being the leader the last few visits then I would suggest he be our focus to capture. But it won’t be easy, they will smell something is not right if the trading post appears deserted, or if we are seen.” He paused for a moment, taking a deep breath before looking over at Oleg.

    ”Oleg, I know that it is a big thing to ask, but would you consider being the bait? You are familiar to them and so if they see you going about your business as usual, gathering the supplies for the bandits, it will make them secure in their ignorance and give us time to spring our trap?” He hated asking a civilian to do what he suggested, but then again it was Oleg’s trading post and the man had to contribute to its defence somehow.
    Characters:
    Harthar Damon, Playtest 5e
    Gedriwyn, Pathfinder, Aasimar Cavalier

    GMing
    Spoiler
    Show

    Harthar's Zombie Survival Game - IC - OOC - Repository - Signup
    Harthar's Kingmaker - IC - OOC

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Harthar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2012

    Default Re: Harthar's Kingmaker Part One: The Stolen Lands

    Svetlana and Oleg both listened as the newcomers discussed their options, it all seemed geared toward helping them and that was a boon. Oleg spoke up however after everyone had said their peace, ”If an ambush is what must be done, and I am to be bait, then so be it. The trading post and its resources are at your disposal, take a look around and come up with a strategy for this ambush and we can meet again to discuss the finer details. Once everything is ready to go, you are free to rest up tonight and awaken before sunrise to prepare for battle. We will be here if you need us.” With that Oleg and his wife sat the table, not speaking at all but rather taking comfort in each other’s company. They will answer any questions posed to them during this time.

    Now, with the camp open to the party they are able to explore to discover what resources Oleg was talking about, and to devise a strategy that will see the bandits contained within their trap and helpless long enough for them to be slain or captured.

    There are many places to explore, among them is:
    Market Yard: This open area is where the companions first arrived into; it is also where most of the trade takes place. The two tables near the fire pit are used to display wares and serve food to visitors, while bulky trade goods are offloaded into the storage pen.

    The Guesthouse: Oleg rents out the beds in this guesthouse to anyone who wishes to stay the night at a rate of 5 sp a bed per night. A rustic breakfast and filling dinner is included in that price. But for the companions they are able to stay here, for tonight, free of charge.

    The Stable: Oleg keeps his jittery horse Claptrap here. He rents out the other stalls to visitors'€™ steeds at a rate of 2 sp per stall per night - that price includes a day's worth of water and feed and a complimentary rub down for the horse.

    The Storage Pen: This fenced area has a wooden roof to keep off most of the rain and snow. Trade goods like furs and other goods are stored here until enough build up to warrant a trip to the city to sell them off.

    The Middens: Three 3-foot-deep composting pits and middens.

    The Main Hall: This squat but solid wooden building is Oleg and Svetlana’s home and the storeroom for the trading post. The double doors leading out into the market yard can be barred but not locked.

    The Dining Room: This is a comfortable room with a few chairs and a table - the Levetons use this room primarily as a dining room. It is also where the companions ate their first meal at Olegs.

    The Office: This room is where Oleg keeps his ledgers and meets with important visitors - in theory. As of yet, no one of importance has bothered visiting the trading post.

    The Stockroom: This room is used to store the trading post’s stock. The stock changes as trappers and traders move through the area.

    The Storeroom: This room normally contains non-trading items such as two barrels of drinking water, a half-full barrel of lantern oil, three common lamps, a dozen candles, a week's worth of firewood, a hooded lantern, 70 feet of hemp rope, a tent, and enough food (mostly cheese, hard bread, and dried venison) to last for 2 weeks.

    The Bedroom: This modest bedroom is where the Levetons sleep.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Ok, so if you’d all like to discuss a strategy for how you want to ambush the bandits, now is the time. What you need to decide on is: Positions of the characters, when you’re going to spring your trap (is there a signal from Oleg? Do you just wait until the bandits get inside? Do you wait until they are leaving?), What your trap entails exactly. You can discuss this ICly here, or OOCly in the OOC thread and then gloss over it in here as your IC post. You can move this forward as you will. If you post ICly that you get setup, then sleep until before sunrise and then get into your positions then my next DM post will be bringing the bandits into the scene. Other than that I can obviously reply to any questions you have of Oleg and Svetlana, and obviously reply to any checks you will need to make.

    Good Luck!
    Characters:
    Harthar Damon, Playtest 5e
    Gedriwyn, Pathfinder, Aasimar Cavalier

    GMing
    Spoiler
    Show

    Harthar's Zombie Survival Game - IC - OOC - Repository - Signup
    Harthar's Kingmaker - IC - OOC

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    PhilMeyer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2011

    Default Re: Harthar's Kingmaker Part One: The Stolen Lands

    "Excellent. Your bravery is commendable." Dhovanu says to Oleg.

    To the group she says: "We'll want them all out in the open here, if possible. I will be positioned somewhere elevated." She gestures up to the catwalk. "Up there would do nicely. Somewhere with clean site-lines and cover. I can use some crates to shield myself from return arrows, and to hide behind before we spring the trap. I'll raise the ladder once I'm up there, of course."

    She continues:

    "We may want someone to close the door and trap them all in, if such a thing can be done quickly. If not, I suggest that Gedriwyn and his beast charge from the outside and block the exit with steel."

    Finally she adds:

    "My hawk Ouray can scout the approach, returning when she spots them in transit to this post. The bird would not likely draw suspicion." The elf strokes the feathers on the bird's back.


    Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: It's hard to tell relative elevations of the catwalk and the buildings. I want to be somewhere that I can easily shoot enemies in the square. If the catwalk isn't the best place for that, I could instead use a rooftop.
    Last edited by PhilMeyer; 2012-10-23 at 10:30 AM.

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DwarfFighterGirl

    Join Date
    Jul 2010

    Default Re: Harthar's Kingmaker Part One: The Stolen Lands

    Elanore Dulac


    Ela says, "Do you think we stand a much higher chance of success if we just attack from ambush?"

    "I ask because I want to one of us to offer the bandits a chance to surrender before we kill them. It may be that not all of them are evildoers. Some might be in group against their will."


    Ela seems quite sure the party will succeed.

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    PhilMeyer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2011

    Default Re: Harthar's Kingmaker Part One: The Stolen Lands

    Dhovanu at first has trouble understanding what the cleric is suggesting.

    "You wish us to forfeit our strategic advantage? I think that unwise. Those who survive the initial attack can surrender if they wish." Dhovanas does not add how unlikely she thinks that is. "Though I must remind you, the penalty for banditry is death. By sword or rope."

    Or arrow.

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DwarfFighterGirl

    Join Date
    Jul 2010

    Default Re: Harthar's Kingmaker Part One: The Stolen Lands

    Elanore Dulac


    Ela just waves her hand. "That's why I asked if it was a feasible idea."

    "Sarenrae teaches that anyone can be saved, but that the unrepentant and destructive evildoer must be destroyed. I just don't want to assume every bandit is the latter type."

    "I am willing to risk myself to do it. I'll be bait with Oleg and ask them to give up their ways. I'll wear a loose robe to cover up my armor."

    "Does that suit the rest of you?"


    Ela also asks Oleg and Svetlana, "Do the bandits arrive on horse or on foot?"
    Last edited by Frivolous; 2012-10-23 at 12:46 PM.

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    North_Ranger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Finland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Harthar's Kingmaker Part One: The Stolen Lands

    "I like your thinking, Dhov", Vasili weighed in. "An elevated position like that... Yes, that would work for the two of us, harrying the brigands and picking up any sorry fool trying to make a run for it." A small smirk plays on the young man's face. "Or would you want me to be somewhere a little further off? You know, so I don't make you jump?" he asked with that devilish little smile of his, tapping his thumb against the butt of his pistol.

    "I think one of us should stay near Oleg until he can get back inside and bar the door behind him, and another should be at the gates if we can't close them swiftly. And I'm guessing we all should stay out of your way, eh, Winter?" he went on, turning his eyes towards the cold-hearted lady.
    IN MEMORIAM 1983-2013. Bot as necessary.

    Avatar courtesy of Elder Tsofu

    Halforums.com - For the love of God, don't ask about the steak.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •