Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 91 to 120 of 237
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Harthar's Kingmaker Part One: The Stolen Lands

    Dern

    As the party of men approaches the fortress, Dern tries to take the scene in at a glance.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Perception (1d20+2)[7]


    Of course, the most immediate thing to notice is the heavily armored man greeting them in a firm manner in the middle of the courtyard. Dern actually liked the gesture, one man hailing a whole group of armored men. It showed bravery and resolve, even if it could prove to be fatal.

    "Goodmorning to you too, Sir of the Greetings! We are Sir Garess' Travelling Dancing Show, here today for only a limited time of performances! We will astound your friends with acts of amazing dexterity, we will rejuvenate old and tired souls and our touch cures baldness!"

    Dern suddenly remembers that he was also here under the Orlovsky name and that his antics are not always appropriate.

    "But besides that, we have been send from the Mayor and Swordlords of Brevoy to help keep the order around here. Sir Garess here leads these fearless men to do just that. Me,Dern Orlovksy, at your service and these two gentlemen of fine repute, Mr Walker and Mr Winter have been send to help an earlier party which seeks to civilize the region. Since you haven't identified yourself, and since I know from the highest authority that there is no law in these parts, I sincerely hope that you are an esteemed member of that party. Otherwise, I would sadly and regrettably question your right to question us. By any means necessary."
    Last edited by ProudGrognard; 2012-11-11 at 10:34 AM.

  2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    North_Ranger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Finland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Harthar's Kingmaker Part One: The Stolen Lands

    At Gedriwyn's command, Vasili had placed himself behind the corner of the guest house, his pistol drawn. Listening in on the conversation he could not help but laugh a little at the sheer amount of pomp this man Dern was showing. Another knight who's been listening to too many bards, he reckoned as he took a peek from behind the wall. The men didn't seem aggressive... yet.

    "I don't think there's any need for that yet, good sir", he spoke up as he stepped out into the open, holstering his pistol for now. He knew he didn't make as impressive a sight as Gedriwyn did. Not with his old leather armor and Garundi-decorated gloves and boots, but he knew the sword and the bow in his back didn't make him look like a push-over either, despite being only nineteen years of age. He didn't flaunt his pistol, though. If things went sour, better to surprise these buggers with something they didn't expect. "And you would be correct in assuming who we are. I'm sure my friend Gedriwyn here can find the charter to prove that. But I've yet to seen yours. How about it, sir knight? We show you ours, you show us yours."
    IN MEMORIAM 1983-2013. Bot as necessary.

    Avatar courtesy of Elder Tsofu

    Halforums.com - For the love of God, don't ask about the steak.

  3. - Top - End - #93
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Harthar's Kingmaker Part One: The Stolen Lands

    Dern

    Dern flashes a winning smile as he addresses the new man. Obviously someone that means business, by his attire. And the contraption that he holds seems ...efficient enough. As he reaches towards his backpack to retrieve the scroll case he says rather loudly

    "Ah, reciprocity! Makes life worth living. To this I will add good will and show my charter first. As I do so, please note that I will be approaching Sir Gedriwyn, which I take to be the fine boned gentleman standing in the middle of the yard, mounted and having a rather large axe in my possession. These facts please consider to be innocent necessities. And to avoid any surprises all around, may I ask that the rest of the party shows itself? It just so happens that I know how many to expect. On the other hand, in the hypothetical situation that you are imposters that have stolen the true party's charters, you may not have the correct numbers. Hypothetically of course."

    Dern then approaches slowly but steadily Gedriwyn and hands him the charter. As they read it,Dern lets his gaze pierce the two men speaking, seeking in their souls the mark of foul deeds.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Still no color! Please help!
    Last edited by ProudGrognard; 2012-11-11 at 10:48 AM.

  4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    North_Ranger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Finland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Harthar's Kingmaker Part One: The Stolen Lands

    By the Gods, I wonder how many flies he has swallowed, yapping like that, Vasili mused to himself, unable to stifle a small chuckle. Walking forward he took the piece of parchment from Dern and read it next to the talkative knight's saddle.

    "This looks genuine to me, down to the seal and all", he then spoke up, looking at Gedriwyn. "Do you want to take a gander at this?"

    "Unless he finds anything wrong with the charter, I think introductions are in order. Vasili Kozhek, pleased to meet you."
    Last edited by North_Ranger; 2012-11-11 at 11:03 AM.
    IN MEMORIAM 1983-2013. Bot as necessary.

    Avatar courtesy of Elder Tsofu

    Halforums.com - For the love of God, don't ask about the steak.

  5. - Top - End - #95
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    PhilMeyer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2011

    Default Re: Harthar's Kingmaker Part One: The Stolen Lands

    Dhovanu hops down gracefully from her perch, she puts her arrow back in her sheathe and steps out for the new arrivals to see her.

    "And I am Dhovanu Tyreplith, designated scout for this crew. I am pleased to receive further reinforcement."
    Last edited by PhilMeyer; 2012-11-11 at 12:05 PM.

  6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    shugyosha's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Harthar's Kingmaker Part One: The Stolen Lands

    Walters

    The big man steps down from his horse and walks his horse forward, leadinghs horse in one hand and holding his large polearm in the other. "I am Walters," he says as an introduction. "Don't mind Dern. He does like to talk."

  7. - Top - End - #97
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Aug 2010

    Default Re: Harthar's Kingmaker Part One: The Stolen Lands

    Somewhat surprised by the presence of the armour clad knight, he is pleased to see the younger boy step forward. The strangely dressed man, though not any more strange a sight than Walker himself, couldn't be more than a few years younger.

    When the ever-loquacious Dern began what was sure to be another long winded explanation, Walker's forehead descends to meet his palm. While Dern speaks he has time to dismount and walk forward towards the two, now three, strangers.
    This is an important convergence, Saint Walker. Your new family.
    They aren't my family yet he can't help but reply. Ignoring the voices would have been better. They didn't deserve absolute credence, but this time he couldn't help but agree. These folk looked to be the group of cartographers he was to work with.

    "And I am Walker. Thank you for welcoming us. Where is the Oleg who asked for these guards? Sir Garess should meet."

  8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Harthar's Kingmaker Part One: The Stolen Lands

    Dern

    Dern smiles when he sees Walker's reaction. It usually takes months to get at that stage. This is surely the beginning of a beautiful friendship, he thinks. He also dismounts and shakes hands with anyone who would do so.

    "And I am Dern Orlovsky, at your service. As my esteemed companions said, I am good at talking. It is what makes me so adorable. Also, I am proficient at performing crude surgical operations of the bladed kind at unwilling, but deserving, recipients. Pleased to meet you all."

  9. - Top - End - #99
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    North_Ranger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Finland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Harthar's Kingmaker Part One: The Stolen Lands

    "You can find master Oleg over there, with his missus. Talk to him respectfully, and I'm sure mistress Svetlana will find a way to house the lot of you. But that is their call, not mine. We are guests at their house", Vasili answered to the man introducing himself as Walker.

    "As for... surgical procedures, you lot are late. We had our first taste of blood only a few hours ago, when some men tried to squeeze master Oleg for goods and vittles", the red-haired man continued, taking a look at the talkative nobleman. "We put five to the sword, the rest surrendered. To us", he added, turning his eyes towards Kesten and his guardsmen. Something told Vasili to be wary; he reckoned that this man Kesten wouldn't think twice to string up the surrendered men just to prove the length of his sword, so to speak.
    IN MEMORIAM 1983-2013. Bot as necessary.

    Avatar courtesy of Elder Tsofu

    Halforums.com - For the love of God, don't ask about the steak.

  10. - Top - End - #100
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Harthar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2012

    Default Re: Harthar's Kingmaker Part One: The Stolen Lands

    Dhovanu
    Oleg nodded slowly as he listened to the specifications of the woman for her birds armour, he had an idea of what he and Svetlana could do in order to fulfil the elf’s wishes, ”That shouldn’t be a problem, we’ll need to take a few measurements and then give us a few days and we can whip something together.” They both smiled and then turned their attention to the new arrivals. Oleg told Svetlana to wait at the house whilst he moved forward to greet them next to Gedriwyn. He allowed Ged and Vasili to do the talking until finally he was addressed.

    All
    ”I am Oleg,” The big man intoned, moving forward as Kesten did so. Kesten dismounted and pulled a leather folder from his saddlebags before moving to greet Oleg with a handshake.

    ”Pleasure to meet you, Oleg, I am Kesten Garess and we are here to see to the defence of this trading post. You have my apologies for the swordlords taking so long in sending you some aide.” The man produced a piece of parchment upon which were written his orders and the official posting of the soldiers at the trading post for its defence. During the interaction Elanore and Crimson moved out of their hiding places and into the open. Kesten’s gaze found them next and he smiled slightly, ”Ahh, my next two points of interest.” He produced two more pieces of parchment, and then motioned two of his guards toward Crimson. The two guards moved forward and roughly took hold of the Halfling who only then began to struggle. ”By order of the swordlords you are once more under arrest Villem Bransky, for two counts of murder, you have already been found guilty as your signature was found at the scene of the crime.”

    The Halfling rogue smiled, “From ear to ear, aye as good a signature as any...” he chuckled.

    Kesten grunted, ”Throw him in the middens until we can find a proper jail for him until he can be executed.” The guards nodded and began moving the rogue toward the rear of the fort where the middens were kept. Kesten then turned to Elanore, ”Lady Dulac, it is with great displeasure and regret that I am to inform you that you must return to your father’s estates at once. It would seem that there has been a family tragedy and you are needed there immediately. You are free to take my horse to ensure your return is as swift as possible.” He could elaborate no more despite Elanore’s subsequent interrogation, the end result being that the Cleric packed her things and left immediately on the offered horse.

    Kesten moved off with Oleg to discuss a few things with regards to the defence of the trading post leaving the newly introduced companions alone in the courtyard. Svetlana moved forward and offered the stew to the newcomers as well before calling Gregory and Renly forward to see to their horses.

    Gedriwyn
    The cavalier inclined his head respectfully to each of the new arrivals and even shook hands were they offered. He then motioned toward the sables, “Stables are there, you will find your horses waiting for you should you need them. For now Gregory and Renly will be more than enough to see to their needs, freeing you all up to join us for a meal and assist in discussing where next we are to set off to.” Once the introductions had been completed and he had glanced over the charter before returning it to Dern, he turned and made his way to the stew pot, helping himself before sitting down and looking over the very vague and no doubt incorrect map of the Greenbelt.

    “Whilst seeing to the bandits is of high concern, we should see about gathering some more information about the surrounding lands before charging off. Most especially about the surrounds of this trading post considering it will essentially be our headquarters for a long time. Any suggestions on the direction we should take first and whether we should travel light, with only our horses, or whether we should travel with the wagon and go for the long haul?”

    Spoiler
    Show

    You can all discuss where you want to head off to next in the OOC if it will be quicker and easier with just a brief answer IC.
    Last edited by Harthar; 2012-11-11 at 06:18 PM.
    Characters:
    Harthar Damon, Playtest 5e
    Gedriwyn, Pathfinder, Aasimar Cavalier

    GMing
    Spoiler
    Show

    Harthar's Zombie Survival Game - IC - OOC - Repository - Signup
    Harthar's Kingmaker - IC - OOC

  11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    North_Ranger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Finland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Harthar's Kingmaker Part One: The Stolen Lands

    After everyone had settled and goodbyes had been said to both Vill and Ela, Vasili took his seat among the companions. But despite being hungry as a horse, he couldn't help but offer his opinion right away as Gedriwyn opened the floor.

    "I think we have an opportunity we ought not miss", the young frontiersman said after he had swallowed a spoonful of Svetlana's stew. "With any luck, the bandits at Kessel's camp are not yet privy to our arrival. As such, we have the advantage of surprise. But only if we move swiftly and strike them today. If we tarry, the bandits will either seek reinforcements or, more likely, move deeper into the Greenbelt. If we strike now, we won't have to worry about them later, and with a bit of luck we can even keep the Stag Lord unawares of our presence for a while longer."

    "There's also something else... something I think I should own up to. The man Jeoph mentioned... Kessel's slave? I... I think I know who that is. My adoptive father", Vasili blurted out, fearing the reaction of the others. "I thought him dead, but it sounds like the raiders who burnt our homestead took him prisoner instead."

    "So I say we head out today, deal with the camp and return to Oleg's for a day to ask questions about the terrain. And to decide what to do with our prisoners."
    IN MEMORIAM 1983-2013. Bot as necessary.

    Avatar courtesy of Elder Tsofu

    Halforums.com - For the love of God, don't ask about the steak.

  12. - Top - End - #102
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Aug 2010

    Default Re: Harthar's Kingmaker Part One: The Stolen Lands

    "Kessel, Jeoph, a Stag Lord? There is a lot you need to tell us." Walker states as he accepts a bowl of stew.
    The Stag Lord
    "However, there will be time for explanations on the trail. If they have your father, and you know where they are camped, we should leave at once."
    Yes Saint Walker, you must go at once.
    Rushing off into the wild is reckless, and these new companions seem... unusual. This entire situation was strange, but what wasn't these days.

  13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    North_Ranger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Finland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Harthar's Kingmaker Part One: The Stolen Lands

    "Long story short, then... Jeoph is one of the bandits who surrendered, and the one who was most willing to talk. He said that this woman Kessel is the one who runs their merry little band... and she in turn seems to be in cahoots with some bandit king who calls himself the Stag Lord", Vasili explained without a pause. He reaches into his pocket and pulls out the stag's-head medallion he had taken from Happs's corpse. "The bastard's even gone as far as taking the symbol of Erastil as his own."
    IN MEMORIAM 1983-2013. Bot as necessary.

    Avatar courtesy of Elder Tsofu

    Halforums.com - For the love of God, don't ask about the steak.

  14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Harthar's Kingmaker Part One: The Stolen Lands

    Dern

    With a bowl of stew before him, a roof over his head and a seat more comfortable than the saddle, Dern is more content that he has been for the last two days. After he has helped in any way he can in securing the prisoners, he sits down alongside his new companions. After hearing Vasili 's explanation, his face grows more serious and he nods as Walker speaks.

    "I think that what you say Vasili makes sense. After the fine work you did here, the element of surprise is ours. I am ready to go on when you are. By the information you have , I gather that you have questioned the captives. Do you have any idea on their expected strength, any possible fortifications and their location?"

  15. - Top - End - #105
    Orc in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Freeport, IL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Harthar's Kingmaker Part One: The Stolen Lands

    Winter walks over and places her hand on Vasili's shoulder.It seems like everyone you come in contact with has some bandit troubles. As long as this "performance group" is good for more than just parlor tricks, we may as well rescue your old man first.

    Turning to face the newcomers, Winter questions
    What are you lot good for in a fight anyway? From our last encounter I've been voted group arrow catcher, so I hope you can top that at least.
    Always write your character sheet as if you had to give it to someone else to play, and you had to accept and use the character sheet written by a different anonymous player.

  16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Harthar's Kingmaker Part One: The Stolen Lands

    Dern

    "Mrs Winter, I take offense at your description. We are not a performance group, we were a Traveling Dancing Show. There is a difference, and as you well know, style is everything. Now that we arrived, the Show is defunct and I at least am at your service. "

    After that rhetoric tirade was delivered in the usual theatrical manner, the young man becomes more serious

    "As I said. I can use both the axe and the armor I wield and many others beside them. I have been recruited to do a job and my Bosses are very strict. I am good at negotiations and I am good at dealing with what happens when they fail. If you agree, I can try and talk to the bandits, as long as it is clear what I can offer them in return"

    But being serious for long does not come naturally to the young knight. He smiles again.

    "And catching arrows, blades and pointy things and making their owners eat them is my main expertise. Though I prefer to be proactive about it"
    Last edited by ProudGrognard; 2012-11-12 at 05:10 AM.

  17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    North_Ranger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Finland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Harthar's Kingmaker Part One: The Stolen Lands

    You could have knocked Vasili over with a feather when he felt Winter's touch on his shoulder and heard her kind words. He had always pegged her to be as cold and merciless as her name - but it seemed that behind that glacial exterior still beat a warm human heart. Still, he couldn't help but chuckle when Dern started talking - again.

    "Apparently this one likes to talk", he chuckled to Winter and nodded his head in gratitude. "A lot."

    "As for the bandits... I don't know. Those who surrendered to us are barely older than myself. Scrawny young men, half-starved and easily frightened. Now with a standing guard here, we could ask Oleg if he needs someone willing to pay for his crimes with work. And we could use a guide and a camp aide during our travels - that is, if any of the captives can be trusted that much. I'm loathe to kill anyone if their worst crime is taking grain to stay alive."

    "Except... if they have killed. In that case, I'll help build the bloody gallows."
    IN MEMORIAM 1983-2013. Bot as necessary.

    Avatar courtesy of Elder Tsofu

    Halforums.com - For the love of God, don't ask about the steak.

  18. - Top - End - #108
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Harthar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2012

    Default Re: Harthar's Kingmaker Part One: The Stolen Lands

    It was definitely the truth when Vasili mentioned how much Dern liked to talk, it became more and more apparent as the conversation continued, the mostly one sided conversation. By the end of it all he had nodded but once, finally he spoke. “Dern, if you think you can get some more information out of them then by all means give it a go. If you’re not able to then I can try my luck. However let us be clear here,” He leant forward and motioned to Vasili, “As the man has said. If these boys have committed murder than by law they are to be beheaded or hung; plain and simple. I’ll not stand for their indentured servitude here when such crimes hang over their heads. They can join Crimson on the chopping block for all I care. In this we must be particularly careful. How are we to know if they are lying to us or not about their past crimes? It is not like we are able to force them to tell the truth. Make sure you are certain of their pasts before offering them the possibility of a future.” He sat back, that was all that he needed to say on that matter.

    “As for a camp aide, we still have Renly remember, who, if he isn’t driving the wagon, will be accompanying us for the purposes of camp aide. A guide would be nice, if we could trust them not to lead us into a trap or try to escape...” It was not that he was untrusting, it was simply the fact that mere hours before these young men were trying to kill them all. Joef, the one who had been so talkative, was the very same who put an arrow into Winter that could have killed her. The intent to murder was the same as murder in Gedriwyn’s eyes.
    Characters:
    Harthar Damon, Playtest 5e
    Gedriwyn, Pathfinder, Aasimar Cavalier

    GMing
    Spoiler
    Show

    Harthar's Zombie Survival Game - IC - OOC - Repository - Signup
    Harthar's Kingmaker - IC - OOC

  19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Harthar's Kingmaker Part One: The Stolen Lands

    Dern

    Den sits back on his chair, listening to the other men. When they finish, he says:

    "I am no theurge, to be able to tell if one man lies with perfect certainty or to be able to gauge his mind. But as I said, I have been recruited by some very stern Bosses. I can see the stain that dark deeds leave in a man's soul. And I myself am loathe to let men with putrefied souls, who on top have committed obvious crimes, let of the hook.

    So I suggest that you let me work with anyone who has not such deeds in his past. Perhaps giving such men a second chance here, they will be able to help construct, instead of destroy. Would you agree with that?"

    If the rest are in agreement, Dern asks to be shown to the cell of the captured bandits. Beforehand, he secures another room, where he could talk away from distractions. Without saying a word, he goes in, fully armed and sits on a stool, silently watching the captured bandits. He looks beneath their skin, for their soul, for that whiff of the miasma he knows all that well, for that specific feeling of wrongness that dark deeds scribe on men and women.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Harthar, I think you know what I am doing here!


    If he finds some whose souls are still open to redemption, he silently directs them to the nearby room, making sure they are well tied before hand. He also asks one of the guards that came with the relief column to stand guard outside for the few minutes he needs. Going in, he bids them sit on the ground, while he sits on the stool again.

    "I am Dern Orlovsky. I am of what counts as law around here. I know what you did and I know how you got caught. I also know that you are not really bad men. Not yet. So I have a deal for you.

    These lands here, they are about to change. New things are to be born here, new places will be claimed. New chances are to be earned. You could be part of all that. Instead of rotting in a Brevoy cell, you could be working here to pay off your debts. By the time you are through, a new land will be needing strong men. The past will be the past. Opportunities will be plenty for those who know the lay of the land.

    We need to know about your former group. I need to know how many are still under Kessel 's leadership. Where their camp is and what fortifications does it have. How the watches are set and how often. I need to know where the soon to be deceased Stag Lord can be found. How many men he controls and what the camp has in way of protection. If you prove your worth by cooperating, I will make sure that you will get a just period of indentured service, after which you will be considered free men. No cells, no judges, just work here. You have my word that you will be treated fairly.

    I will only ask once. And the offer will stand only for those who will help me and only after they have proven their worth. Choose now. I will be back in a minute."


    Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy (1d20+10)[27]


    After that, Dern will step out of the room and wait for a minute, thinking his plans. After a minute, he will step back in.

    "Your answer?"

    Spoiler
    Show
    Sense motive (1d20)[7]
    Last edited by ProudGrognard; 2012-11-12 at 09:43 AM.

  20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    North_Ranger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Finland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Harthar's Kingmaker Part One: The Stolen Lands

    "Best I come with", Vasili offered as he stood up, his bowl of stew empty. "In case there's need for some 'good guard, bad guard' method of interrogation. Torture won't make a man speak up, but I kept a close eye when dad had a talk with some captured outlaws. He could make a man piss himself with fear after just two sentences - not to mention sing like a nightingale", the young man chuckled, the nostalgia of that memory making his lips tug up momentarily.

    If Dern agreed, the redhaired man helped him haul the three men to somewhere more quiet, and stepped outside when Dern worked his way with the bandits.
    IN MEMORIAM 1983-2013. Bot as necessary.

    Avatar courtesy of Elder Tsofu

    Halforums.com - For the love of God, don't ask about the steak.

  21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Harthar's Kingmaker Part One: The Stolen Lands

    "Sure, I will need all the help I can get."

    Dern feels better knowing that Vasili guards his back. After all he was the one who helped capture these men. When he steps outside to give them (him?) time to decide, he asks

    "How do you think it went?"

  22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    North_Ranger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Finland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Harthar's Kingmaker Part One: The Stolen Lands

    Vasili shrugs. "I'd take that deal if I were in their boots", he simply states, with a smile tugging the corner of his lips. "And incidentally... I won't tell the others what you clearly don't want to say about your... ah, bosses", he adds, leaning against the wall. "Though I reckon they will figure it out for themselves sooner or later. I did, but that's because dad was... is one of yours. Of Erastil's kind, though."
    IN MEMORIAM 1983-2013. Bot as necessary.

    Avatar courtesy of Elder Tsofu

    Halforums.com - For the love of God, don't ask about the steak.

  23. - Top - End - #113
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    PhilMeyer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2011

    Default Re: Harthar's Kingmaker Part One: The Stolen Lands

    we should see about gathering some more information about the surrounding lands before charging off. Most especially about the surrounds of this trading post considering it will essentially be our headquarters for a long time.
    "I am in agreement. I will consult with Oleg, and then my hawk and I will scout the surroundings."

    "We must be careful not to wait much longer. The bandits are expected to be transporting their ill-gotten gains, which would take some time, but eventually their delay in returning will be noticed. We do not want them to wonder what is taking so long."

    Dhovanu cares little for the interrogation. No creature lies as well or as often as a human. She would prefer to strike as soon as is possible.

  24. - Top - End - #114
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Harthar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2012

    Default Re: Harthar's Kingmaker Part One: The Stolen Lands

    The miasma of energies that Dern could discern from the three men were dark, not vibrantly so, but enough for the man to realise that they had performed some dark deeds that could not be forgiven. With the knowledge that none of the men’s souls are open to redemption, they are still questioned. They all listened quietly, all wear hopeful expressions. When the man leaves the room, they glance at each other and nod, answering a silent question. When Dern returns they each agree to his terms. ”I agree to your terms, I will give you the information you seek in exchange for the indentured service here at the trading post helping where I can.” They would not give any of this information until the agreement is taken however.

    Once the agreement is taken they began to speak, Joef first, ”There are about fifteen of them with Kressle leading them, with about half of that number that go out hunting and patrolling each day.” Hansel continued, ”The watch is random; Kessel likes to surprise the men with the randomness of it. I have seen a watch last only half an hour before it is changed. There is usually one on a watch platform toward the middle of the camp and another near some logs toward the west. They are the only assured spots that men are stationed. Another one or two are usually also on watch and they patrol around and through the middle of the camp.” Bran continued, ”The Stag Lord lives further south than the Thorn River camp, we don’t know the location, we never go there. Only Happs and Kressle know, and maybe one or two of the other men who have been with them for longer.”

    Dern is not able to discern their motives, but they appear genuine.
    Characters:
    Harthar Damon, Playtest 5e
    Gedriwyn, Pathfinder, Aasimar Cavalier

    GMing
    Spoiler
    Show

    Harthar's Zombie Survival Game - IC - OOC - Repository - Signup
    Harthar's Kingmaker - IC - OOC

  25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Harthar's Kingmaker Part One: The Stolen Lands

    Dern

    Dern smiles with Vasili 's discretion. He starts to really like the man.

    "Well, it is not actually a secret. But I don't see why I must make a fuss of it. There are plenty of noblemen riding around with attitudes as it is. I am a man of simpler origins. And I would like to be judged through my actions, not my calling. If they are as they should be, then it doesn't matter if I am a paladin or a farmer. I am a mortal sword, not a showpiece.

    But you say that your father is a ...colleague of mine? And if I am not mistaken, he has been taken captive. Well, that won't do. In my profession, we take care of our own."


    Dern turns to face the man. His face has become scarily serious.

    "So, I tell you this, Vasili. I just earned my spurs and I have a lot to learn. But whatever comes, the only way your father won't come back with us is if I am dead. And even then, I am not sure that will stop me. I will make a darn annoying ghost.This is not idle friendship, because I have not earned that yet. It is a promise, from a neophyte paladin to the kin of another. No one lays low Erastil 's Chosen and gets away with it. Not if my kind can help it. And perhaps you can help me be who I should be. Since you have lived with one of us "


    And then, like the sun in a cloudy day, his smile breaks again.

    "Damn, I talk too much. Old man Talos, the knight who made me the paragon of virtue and warcraft I am today, always said that enemies would beg to surrender, just so that I would shut up."
    Last edited by ProudGrognard; 2012-11-12 at 10:26 AM.

  26. - Top - End - #116
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    PhilMeyer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2011

    Default Re: Harthar's Kingmaker Part One: The Stolen Lands

    To the group, after the interrogation is over:

    "We know where they are, and if I had a dozen elven warriors I would suggest we creep up quietly and ambush them. With this crew, however, I am nervous about attempting to approach them at their camp undetected. Metal armor clinks terribly, if your ears are trained to hear it."

    The elf crinkles her nose at the thought of wearing noisy armor.

    "It might be possible, however, to lure them into a trap. If I could get close, perhaps fire an arrow at one of these watchers of theirs, I am certain they would give chase. Bandits are nothing if not cocky in numbers."

    "Gedriwyn, I could lead them to where you and your horse are waiting to charge. And Vasili could lie in wait with his fire-arm. If they are clumped up in their pursuit, Winter could cast a spell to great effect..."

    The elf ignores the new arrivals in her planning. Not seeing what they are capable of, she does not wish to count on them just yet.
    Last edited by PhilMeyer; 2012-11-12 at 11:58 AM.

  27. - Top - End - #117
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    North_Ranger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Finland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Harthar's Kingmaker Part One: The Stolen Lands

    Vasili threw his head back in laughter. "Well, it's good to know we have a back-up plan if things go sour. You start talking and we'll wait until the brigands have had their share."

    "And trust me, I can understand not wanting to be judged for something else than who you are. The man who sired me... I hesitate to call him father, since he did precious little fathering... well, let's just say I would hate to be judged because of something he did. Because of ghosts of the past."

    Having said that, Vasili places his hand on the other man's shoulder. "You're a good man, Dern Orlovsky. And I thank you for your promise. For that, I'll watch your back. Gods willing, we will rescue my father and share a pint after this. That is, unless your code forbids that?" the man said, a wicked grin cutting across his lips.
    IN MEMORIAM 1983-2013. Bot as necessary.

    Avatar courtesy of Elder Tsofu

    Halforums.com - For the love of God, don't ask about the steak.

  28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    shugyosha's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Harthar's Kingmaker Part One: The Stolen Lands

    Walters

    The stout man remained silent through most of the interactions. He ate his food quietly and wondered why they had sent Lady Dulac out by herself.

    After the interrogation, it was apparent to anyone looking that he was anxious to be off. He kept fidgeting with his dagger at his belt.

  29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Harthar's Kingmaker Part One: The Stolen Lands

    Dern

    Dern was not happy with the situation. He had hoped that at least one of them would be more innocent. But no, they were all guilty by judgement higher than his. But perhaps this would be a chance to truly offer redemption by example. Perhaps.

    " Your information seems genuine. But you have not yet earned my trust. Nor redemption. I will go now and see what kind of deal I can make for you."

    @ Vasili

    Dern raises his eyebrow in mock surprise
    " Well, being a good man is part of the job description. As is sharing a pint with companions in arms. But, in return for your protection, I will guard your front. I have found that it is much more useful than the back."

    After the interrogation, Dern goes back to the rest of the team and shares his findings. Then he says
    "I think that one of them should accompany us, to test the validity of their information. If they have been sincere, I suggest that they are offered a specific period of service. Under guard, because they are not good or innocent men. I know this for a fact. As for the length, I propose that it is left to Mister Oleg and Sir Kesten. As long as we impress upon them the need for close scrutiny"

    After Dhovanu presents his plan, Dern 's eyebrows have again shot up in surprise. Haltingly, he raises his hand, like when he was a student in Barthos' seminary.

    " Eeeem sorry, madam. But since we are here, would you like our help? I mean, we do have some arms and armor which could be useful. May I suggest that I stay with Vasili to guard him when he starts to take shots? Also, may I point out that they must see you in order to give pursuit. You must seem like you didn't want to be seen, but you did. And you must run a bit to a place we can assault them from multiple angles. Like you suggested. And all that is dangerous.

    Also, is there a way I can borrow some ranged weapons? Like a bow, daggers or throwing axes? I didn't seem to bring any..."

  30. - Top - End - #120
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    North_Ranger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Finland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Harthar's Kingmaker Part One: The Stolen Lands

    "I believe there's some bows left... liberated from our captives and the bandits who felt Pharasma's call", Vasili offered with a wolfish grin. "And I think I can handle myself, as long as I get an opening to knock an arrow or pull the trigger. Better if there's someone to guard Winter and keep any brigands off her back while she does her thing."

    "Best thing to happen would be if we can get as many of these outlaws in a nice, tight bunch. Throw in one or two of these", he continues and pats the two vials of alchemist's fire he took from the corpses. "and whatever spells Winter might have, then mop up the survivors. This woman leading them, though... Kessel or Kressle? We can't let her run. Kill her or take her prisoner, if we want to question her for the Stag Lord's whereabouts. But she can't be allowed to escape."
    IN MEMORIAM 1983-2013. Bot as necessary.

    Avatar courtesy of Elder Tsofu

    Halforums.com - For the love of God, don't ask about the steak.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •