Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 121 to 150 of 237
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Harthar's Kingmaker Part One: The Stolen Lands

    Dern

    " I am with you, Vasili. I will guard Winter. But after ranged pleasantries have been exchanged, let me take on Kressle, or whatever she is called. I am encouraged by my Bosses to do such stuff. And I can be quite good at it."

    Dern 's answering smile is like the one cats give when they see the canary 's cage open...
    Last edited by ProudGrognard; 2012-11-13 at 01:45 AM.

  2. - Top - End - #122
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    PhilMeyer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2011

    Default Re: Harthar's Kingmaker Part One: The Stolen Lands

    Eeeem sorry, madam. But since we are here, would you like our help? I mean, we do have some arms and armor which could be useful.
    "Of course. We'll be outnumbered, and I expect a difficult fight. If you wish to engage the leader of the band, I would not object. It might be that when she falls, her men will lose spirit."
    Last edited by PhilMeyer; 2012-11-13 at 12:09 AM.

  3. - Top - End - #123
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Harthar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2012

    Default Re: Harthar's Kingmaker Part One: The Stolen Lands

    Gedriwyn clears his throat and speaks once more, acting as a voice of reason it would seem whilst everyone discussed their tactics, “Whilst planning here and now is all well and good, we won’t know for sure what to do until we see the bandit camp with our own eyes. Who is to say that the bandits will follow us into the woods? Perhaps the reason why these prisoners of ours are so young is because they are the newest members of the gang and they have been stuck with the most unwanted job and the one that is seen as needing the least amount of expertise considering how pacified Olef and Svetlana had become... No offence.” He shot the last words to Oleg and Svetlana, before continuing with the practiced ease of one who had commanded men and seen war. “What we should be working out here and now is which of the three we will be taking, how we will ensure they will not escape and that they are leading us to the bandit camp and not into a trap. We need to work out what provisions we need to take, how long this journey will take and what we might need to transport whatever we might find at the camp back here.” He motioned to Vasili.

    “Joef said your father is pretty much subjugated. I know that you do not wish to think on this, but what if he has been turned over by Kressle... what if he attempts to fight you? Don’t answer; it is merely something to think on. We are no longer a bunch of adventurers here. We are essentially at war with these bandits and we need to start thinking of the brutality that will come from it.” He turned his cavernous orbs to Dern. “As for you taking on the leader? I think any one man attempting to take her on would be foolish. There are no lone wolves here anymore, we are a team, a unit. We need to find our place together, establish what we are all good at and what our failings are so that we can eliminate them. We work together as a cohesive fighting force or we die, especially against superior numbers. Us toe to toe again fifteen men on unknown territory: we will be defeated. That is not defeatism; that is being practical.”

    Hopefully having instilled in them a sense of gravity with the situation he takes a deep breath and continues. “Dern, you hold yourself as if you are skilled with the axe. Walters, since you are carrying that longarm I am guessing that you know how to use it? Good. We have a moderate amount of defence against cavalry there. Walker, I am unsure as to what you do but by the looks of you and the way you hold yourself I am assuming your some sort of holy man. That is good considering our cleric has been sent back to Restov, I hope you have some tricks up your sleeve that will see us prevail against our enemies?” It was a rhetorical question. “As for us, we have an elf ranger with a keen eye for seeing her arrows placed right where she wants them and has an animal companion who does a very good job at distracting, disorienting and slashing up whomever she commands him to. Then we have Winter, a sorceress of some description with some as yet unseen powers that are useful from afar as well as up close.” His eyes move as he speaks, taking in each as he addresses them and their abilities that he has seen so far. “Vasili and his weapon are a deadly combination, a ranged combatant that likes to get up close and personal, which seems only to make him more deadly. And lastly there is just me, a horseman with a sword and a bow and willingness to defend his companions and ensure the enemy does not survive the encounter. Essentially we have four members of the group whom are best in close quarters, one holy man who hopefully possesses some healing ability, a mid ranged sorceress and a ranged bow woman. How do we capitalise on these traits?” He raised a questioning brow, his cavernous orbs boring into them as he probes for the answers.

    Suddenly he smiles and looks directly at Dern, “You seem the sort who likes to perform...” He turns that gaze to Vasili and Walters, “I hope you two share that inclination because I have an idea.” His smile turns into a slightly roguish grin, “What would you all say to playing bandit for an evening?” He turned back to Dern and motioned toward the door, "If you'd be able to do me a favour and ask how the bandits within the camp know if a friend is approaching?"
    Characters:
    Harthar Damon, Playtest 5e
    Gedriwyn, Pathfinder, Aasimar Cavalier

    GMing
    Spoiler
    Show

    Harthar's Zombie Survival Game - IC - OOC - Repository - Signup
    Harthar's Kingmaker - IC - OOC

  4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Harthar's Kingmaker Part One: The Stolen Lands

    Dern

    Dern listened to Gedriwyn 's plan with interest in his eyes. But there were holes in it, and needed to be addressed.

    "You are a smart man and as such, you think too much. For the bandits to lead us into a trap, there first needs to be a trap. This means that they must have prepared a trap for what, for them, was an outing to a 'pacified' region. Think of how improbable that is. That they lay traps everytime their force is one day late. In the wilderness. In a bandit camp. Prudence is good and I am with you. But it shouldn't blind us to other possibilities. And yes, I believe we should be very weary on whoever we take as guide with us. I said as much. They are not good, or misguided men.

    Secondly, I never suggested that I take the leader alone. I said that I would tackle her, preferably with someone who would also flank her. If she is the kind of person I believe she is, I am best suited for the task of confronting her. May I remind you, you are not the only one who had knight training. I know why lonewolvishness is deadly.

    Lastly, I will gladly ask about how they identify each other if that is what you want. But I will not lie and I will not cheat."
    Here Dern smiles in an easy, relaxed manner. "It cramps my style and my Bosses don't like it. So, if you are about to suggest that I start talking with an accent and pretend to be a bandit that approaches the hideout, perhaps someone else should get that job. I will keep my performance on different tunes.

    So, what do you want me to ask the captives? "

  5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    North_Ranger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Finland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Harthar's Kingmaker Part One: The Stolen Lands

    Vasili clenched his teeth at the mention that his father might have turned native. He had feared such a possibility in the back of his head, but to hear it spoken out aloud...

    "If he is... then I just have to hope Winter has another of her sleep spells prepared", the young man simply stated, his hand resting on the handle of his pistol. The last option when all others had been exhausted...

    He didn't speak a word as Gedriwyn laid out his plan and Dern offered his rebuttal, his hand rising only to tug mindfully at the small patch of red hair at his chin. "Let's hear the man out first, Dern. I'm certain there's a plan in there somewhere, unless he simply wants to see if me and Walters look good in cloaks. And assuming this plan does not involve the either the word 'bait' or a phrase that involves the words 'could, what, possibly, wrong, go'..."
    IN MEMORIAM 1983-2013. Bot as necessary.

    Avatar courtesy of Elder Tsofu

    Halforums.com - For the love of God, don't ask about the steak.

  6. - Top - End - #126
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Harthar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2012

    Default Re: Harthar's Kingmaker Part One: The Stolen Lands

    “There are many definitions to the word ‘trap’, my friend. The one to which I referred is quite simply a device or method intending to capture. We are in a forest after all, it is the perfect environment for a dead fall and any number of other trapping devices that could be employed to capture, wound or kill unwary travellers or enemies.” His grin never faded throughout the whole of Dern’s very defensive speech. At the man’s last words he raised a brow questioningly, “The very same that I told you, ‘How the bandits within the camp know if a friend is approaching’. What information I mean to glean from this question is whether they have some bird call or signal that is raised to identify approaching parties as friend or foe, it would make sense for them to have one. It is imperative that we know this information, if in fact there is such information, in order for us to pretend to be bandits. If you are not willing to assume the guise due to your ‘Bosses’,” He said the word with skepticism as the only bosses of theirs that they were aware of, were the Swordlords who had issued them with their charter. “then I am sure you can follow us and attack once we have sown descent amongst the camp... assuming our ruse works. This is all dependant on what we observe when we arrive and whether the ruse actually works or not. My intention is to buy us a small amount of time to infiltrate their camp, disallow them from grouping, and potentially locate Vasili’s father before the fighting begins.” He was well aware of the risk involved and thus he continued, “It is a risk that could turn ugly quickly. I will volunteer myself if it is too dangerous and put myself forward as bait. Should things not go according to plan you all still have the element of surprise, with the benefit of their attention being drawn inward, rather than outward.” He inclined his head in thanks to Vasili for his support, but was also aware that he had mentioned or alluded to many of the things that the gunslinger had not wanted to hear.

    “Obviously this is only a plan that I have brought up and is therefore up for debate or rejection completely. If you are all willing to go with it or a variation thereof we need to decide on whom to take, find out if there is a signal for friendlies, and decide whether to take the wagon or just horses, and lets be about the business of destroying that bandit camp...”
    Last edited by Harthar; 2012-11-13 at 10:36 AM.
    Characters:
    Harthar Damon, Playtest 5e
    Gedriwyn, Pathfinder, Aasimar Cavalier

    GMing
    Spoiler
    Show

    Harthar's Zombie Survival Game - IC - OOC - Repository - Signup
    Harthar's Kingmaker - IC - OOC

  7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Harthar's Kingmaker Part One: The Stolen Lands

    Dern

    "I like the plan. I do not mean to refute it or refuse it. I am in favor of coming up, close and personal. I do some of my best work that way. Especially if I know that Vasili, Dhevanu and Winter will be somewhere close to fill the air with projectiles. It is I believe better than to have Dhevanu act as bait.

    But I would not tell a lie. I will wear the clothes of a bandit, but I would not lie at being one, even if directly asked. But either way, by then it will be too late because by then it will be obvious I am not one of them. Come to think of it, this is where the prisoners could come in handy, if we are to trust them. They could announce that 'we' are coming back. Consider that as a possibility.

    I now go to ask our new best friends of their mode of identification, signals and so forth. I should have thought of that myself, actually"


    Dern then leaves the table and goes back to the cell to ask the men how they are identified when they approach their camp. He also brings some apples to them, if Oleg agrees. If not, he pays for them.

  8. - Top - End - #128
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    PhilMeyer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2011

    Default Re: Harthar's Kingmaker Part One: The Stolen Lands

    "Who is to say they will follow? If the bandits would not pursue when an enemy shoots at them with an arrow, then it would seem a second arrow is in order. Then a third. I would not likely run out of arrows before I run out of targets to shoot them at..."

    The elf looks confused.

    "...and why would we need to take one of them with us? They've shown the location on a map. Taking an enemy with us would not seem necessary. A liability, at best."

  9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    North_Ranger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Finland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Harthar's Kingmaker Part One: The Stolen Lands

    "Hmm... That might work, Ged. Especially if we can get one of the bandits to co-operate. But that's a big if. I best go with Dern, just in case... If he's reading of our guests is correct, we'd be fools to take their word at face value", the young gunslinger offers as he stands up. "After all, we don't want them to turn their coats the second they're back with their former mates. In such a case they would definitely be a liability, as Dhovanu said."

    Spoiler
    Show
    OOC:
    If memory serves, to aid another you have to pass a DC 10 check so that the primary actor gets a +2 for his roll, right? Would that work with Diplomacy, Intimidate and Sense Motive - all or some of which I think such persuasion would need?
    Last edited by North_Ranger; 2012-11-13 at 11:17 AM.
    IN MEMORIAM 1983-2013. Bot as necessary.

    Avatar courtesy of Elder Tsofu

    Halforums.com - For the love of God, don't ask about the steak.

  10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    shugyosha's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Harthar's Kingmaker Part One: The Stolen Lands

    Walters

    Having kept his mouth silent and heard the voices around him he decided to finally say something. "If these bandits act like highway men then we should give them an easy target to draw them out. Once they are out she should spring a trap of our own."

  11. - Top - End - #131
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Aug 2010

    Default Re: Harthar's Kingmaker Part One: The Stolen Lands

    "There has been plenty of talk. Go get as much information as you can from the captives, then we should make ready to attack the bandits' camp." Not bandits, Saint Walker, murderers. They will try to kill you.

  12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Harthar's Kingmaker Part One: The Stolen Lands

    Dern

    Dern left the table, his mind swirling with plans. At last, action was near! He walked to the makeshift cell, nodding to Vasili who once again helped him. Going in, he takes his position opposite the captives and wordlessly gives them the apples, the bread and the cheese he took for them. As they eat, he addresses them, with the air of someone continuing an earlier transaction.

    "I believe that our deal is in a good track. The information you provided was well received. Now, I need the rest of it. You marked in the map the location of the camp. What I want to know is how you identify each other. As you approach, do you give a signal? Do you take a specific path? What happens if you approach by night?"

    Dern relaxes back, theatrically stifling a yawn.

    "Just so we are clear. This is your chance to do good and play nice. Kassel and her merry band do not stand a chance. If the information you give us is accurate, this will be a mark in your favor, as it will make what we have to do easier. If, however, we get there and you have misled us, someone will have to pay for the extra discomfort. And that will be you."

    Dern passes a bucket of water around, for them to drink.

    "So. Talk to me."

    Spoiler
    Show
    If needed, Diplomacy (1d20+10)[29]

    Edit: Nice! 29! I think I just converted them to sainthood!
    Last edited by ProudGrognard; 2012-11-16 at 07:09 AM.

  13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    North_Ranger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Finland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Harthar's Kingmaker Part One: The Stolen Lands

    Vasili followed Dern into the cell, and leaned back against the wall while the paladin made his offer. It was a good one, indeed. No binding promises, a decent veiled threat or two, requesting for the information they wanted concisely and clearly.

    "Were I in your shoes, I would take the offer - and make every precaution that we return safe and sound", he spoke calmly as he eyed the three young men with their meal and water. "Because quite frankly, we are the only friends you have this moment. If we don't come back, I'm sure the captain who just arrived will not think twice to hang every last one of you as brigands. So it is in your best interest that we come back with Kressle's head in a bag."

    Spoiler
    Show
    Aid another check for Dern:

    Diplomacy
    (1d20+4)[17]
    IN MEMORIAM 1983-2013. Bot as necessary.

    Avatar courtesy of Elder Tsofu

    Halforums.com - For the love of God, don't ask about the steak.

  14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    shugyosha's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Harthar's Kingmaker Part One: The Stolen Lands

    Walters

    In the background the prisoners might catch a glimpse of Walters sharpening his fauchard and eye them with a wicked grin.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Aid for diplomacy using intimidate
    (1d20+2)[5]

  15. - Top - End - #135
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Harthar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2012

    Default Re: Harthar's Kingmaker Part One: The Stolen Lands

    Dern
    The bandits appear eager to talk, which is of course once they have finished eating; a task that takes a very short amount of time to achieve. Joef seemed to be the most talkative of the bunch and thus it was not a surprise that he would be the first to talk once he had finished devouring his meal, ”There is a signal of sorts. It is a whistle. Happs could do it real well, none of us could really do it right though. Bran is probably the closest.” Bran swallowed some bread and then, after clearing his throat, he whistled a small tune. It sounded like a chorus of birds chirping. ”Happs did it better, but that is roughly it.” Bran whistled the tune again and would continue to do so with the companions if they wished to try and mimic it. ”You gotta be nice and close to the camp to do it. Happs would go forward, since he was the stealthiest, and whistle the signal at which point we would all come out and enter the camp in the open.” If the companions asked for one of them to accompany the party then Bran would offer for the reason that he was the best at the whistle.

    All
    With all of the questions now answered and the prisoner’s complying, nothing stood in the companion’s way to making the journey to the bandit camp. To ensure the element of surprise remained they would need to leave immediately, disallowing Vasili the time he required to fashion his very unique ammunition. Gathering the things they needed and the wagon if that was the decision they were making, they would set off a few hours after midday. The journey, which consisted of roughly fifteen hours of non-stop travel, was uneventful. Though by the time they arrived in the general area which had been described to them, they were so tired that perhaps leaving at midday might not have been the best option for the party. The last few hours were crossed slowly as they knew they were close to the bandit camp but being that it was the middle of the night they didn’t want to run headlong into the middle of the camp and throw away their chance for a surprise attack.

    Luckily the moon was quite bright that night, despite the fact that many of the party could see quite well in the dark, and thus everyone was able to make out a few fires and torches that were lit. One large fire was at, what was assumed to be, the centre of the camp, whilst two torches were each at the watchtowers that they had been told about. Four bandits could be clearly seen, one in each watchtower, and two lounging next to the camp fire. The other bandits, if there even were more on watch, could not be readily seen at this point in time. The party was just far enough away that they could not be seen or heard, but if they were going to gather any more information about the camp someone would need to close the distance, remain hidden, and take a look around.
    Characters:
    Harthar Damon, Playtest 5e
    Gedriwyn, Pathfinder, Aasimar Cavalier

    GMing
    Spoiler
    Show

    Harthar's Zombie Survival Game - IC - OOC - Repository - Signup
    Harthar's Kingmaker - IC - OOC

  16. - Top - End - #136
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    North_Ranger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Finland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Harthar's Kingmaker Part One: The Stolen Lands

    Vasili waited impatiently, fear and enthusiasm making his blood roar in his veins. He had not dared hope for his father's survival... yet he dreaded the prospect that somehow this woman Kressle and her men had managed to subdue the proud man he had once known. With a bandit's cloak over his clothes, his loaded pistol in its holster and the newly-appropriated bow in his hand, he waited for the tacticians to give the order.

    While waiting, he took a close eye at the young brigand who had agreed to lead them to the camp site. Bran, that was his name. Under his hood the gunslinger watched the man, trying to get a read of him. If Bran would try and turn his coat again, things could go wrong very fast...

    Spoiler
    Show
    Rolling Sense Motive... (1d20+2)[19]
    IN MEMORIAM 1983-2013. Bot as necessary.

    Avatar courtesy of Elder Tsofu

    Halforums.com - For the love of God, don't ask about the steak.

  17. - Top - End - #137
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Harthar's Kingmaker Part One: The Stolen Lands

    Dern

    Dern smiles like a lunatic, as fidgety as Vasili. He says in a whisper

    "My new found companions, here we are. We have been discussing this plan for a day now. I just want to say that, so far, I wouldn't have picked a better group of total strangers with which to rain pain at unsuspecting bandits. And in case you see someone of us hitting Kassell too hard, stop us. We need her alive, apparently.

    So, without further ado... Mrs Dhovanu would you do the honor?"


    With that additional attempt at bad humor, Dern somewhat nervously unslings his huge axe.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Edited to cover my screw up with the narrative.
    Last edited by ProudGrognard; 2012-11-19 at 05:10 PM.

  18. - Top - End - #138
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    PhilMeyer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2011

    Default Re: Harthar's Kingmaker Part One: The Stolen Lands

    "Very well." The elf says quietly.

    She checks her gear one last time, and creeps off to see what she can of the bandit camp, bow in hand. She leaves her hawk with the others for now.

    Her elven eyes adjust well to the moonlight, and she tries to use cover of trees and bushes as best she can.

    Spoiler
    Show

    I may need help on the specifics of what rolls are appropriate, but probably will need at least...
    Stealth: (1d20+7)[13]
    Perception: (1d20+9)[20]
    Also note I have the Silent Hunter racial feature, which may or may not help here.
    Last edited by PhilMeyer; 2012-11-19 at 05:43 PM.

  19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    shugyosha's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Harthar's Kingmaker Part One: The Stolen Lands

    Walters

    Before leaving Walters offer, "I can use a bow if you need more arrows in the air."
    Last edited by shugyosha; 2012-11-19 at 09:43 PM.

  20. - Top - End - #140
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Harthar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2012

    Default Re: Harthar's Kingmaker Part One: The Stolen Lands

    Dhovanu
    Spoiler
    Show

    Stealth and Perception are both required here. Could also use Sense Motive if you had it. You don’t know how close you were on that stealth check though... lol


    Dhovanu is able to move quite close to the camp, however she did have to stop suddenly as her boot snagged on a branch which made a rustle that alerted one of the guards around the fire. They cast a look in her direction but must not have seen her as a moment later their conversation continued. From her vantage point she could make out the majority of the camp. There were the two watchtowers, each with a bandit on watch; there was the fire with the two talking around it. Twenty feet away from the watchtower and in-between it and the fire was a tent large enough to hold three or four people, however the flap leading into it was closed so she wasn’t able to see inside. Other than that she could make out two other bandits reclined against a pair of logs in-between the two watchtowers, both appeared to be asleep. In total she could see six bandits, none of which filled the description of Kessle or Vasili’s father. She could also clearly see that Gedriwyn’s horse would serve no advantage here as there were too many obstacles for the horse to be able to charge effectively.

    Dhovanu was able to return to the others without alerting the bandits.

    Map of Thorn River Camp
    Spoiler
    Show




    Spoiler
    Show

    Ok, so here is when you have a bit of leeway with regards to positioning your own PC and can dictate the direction from which you enter. Just assume that all of your horses are further back from where you are, and you came this far on foot intending not to use the horses in battle, Gedriwyn did intend it, but probably won’t given the terrain.


    Vasili
    The bandit seems to be quite genuine about helping them and whilst for the moment he was assisting the companions, this allegiance could quickly change if the bandits were to take the upper hand. He was merely following the stronger party and, since he was bound and under guard, this was the stronger party.
    Characters:
    Harthar Damon, Playtest 5e
    Gedriwyn, Pathfinder, Aasimar Cavalier

    GMing
    Spoiler
    Show

    Harthar's Zombie Survival Game - IC - OOC - Repository - Signup
    Harthar's Kingmaker - IC - OOC

  21. - Top - End - #141
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    North_Ranger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Finland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Harthar's Kingmaker Part One: The Stolen Lands

    "Just so we are in complete understanding", Vasili said to Bran as they waited. "If you try to run or if you try to screw us over... I'll shoot you. And it will not go as pleasantly as it did with Happs. Just something for you to consider", he said with complete and utter calm as he tapped his fingers on the longbow. He didn't even blink or crack a smile as he said that, just letting those words sink into the man's brain.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Intimidate: (1d20+8)[24]


    After Dhovanu returned with the news, the young man frowned and looked at Gedriwyn and Dern, the self-appointed strategists. "It doesn't sound like we can go in with the cart", he spoke in sotto voce. "Any bright ideas? Quick-like, preferably. The more we tarry here, the likelier it'll be someone spots us... or our guide decides to have an unfortunately loud cough."
    IN MEMORIAM 1983-2013. Bot as necessary.

    Avatar courtesy of Elder Tsofu

    Halforums.com - For the love of God, don't ask about the steak.

  22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Harthar's Kingmaker Part One: The Stolen Lands

    Dern

    Dern continues to whisper and grip his axe, almost standing up

    "Too close to debate strategy once more. I say that we give Dhovanu some seconds more, and then go for it. Approach, give the whistle, approach some more and then charge those we see. If more come, they will be too late. Formation-wise, what we discussed"

    Spoiler
    Show
    Self appointed? North ranger, that hurt!

  23. - Top - End - #143
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Harthar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2012

    Default Re: Harthar's Kingmaker Part One: The Stolen Lands

    The horseman, clad fully in scale mail, was crouched beside the gunslinger, one hand grasping his newly acquired composite longbow, whilst the other grasped an arrow that he would be ready to notch and draw at any moment. After making his suggestion over half a day earlier he had remained silent for the most part, merely nodding and agreeing to the plan that they were about to undertake as it developed. He could see not dramatic flaws in it; though he tried to take the pessimists approach and think of what might happen if things didn’t go to plan. These thoughts were kept to just that; he didn’t want to discourage the other members of the party b y asking questions of what they would do if this or that happened. It was a worst case scenario that he doubted would actually happen but it was something that a strategist always thought about and tried to make preparations for regardless of how slim the chance of it actually happening was.

    “Why are we unable to take the cart in?” The knight whispered, he was prepared to go back to his horse and set himself up for his charge into the enemy once the elf scout returned to inform them of the best points of entry into the battle. “As for the formation we use, I am good to go. I’ll try and make as much chaos as I can on my charge in.” He was not one that was fond of battle or killing, but when it came to protecting his companions he would do what was necessary. In this case it was to make himself as big a target as possible to keep the bandit’s attention on him instead of on the leaser armoured members of the group; and he had just the thing to do it. He knew full well that the man named Dern was seeking Kessle, the leader of the group of bandits, but it would be against Gedriwyn’s order not to do what he planned. There was also the fact that the cavalier thought Dern was just trying to make a name for himself with the group, trying to make up for being late and missing the defence of Oleg’s. That was unfortunate for him, but the knight was not about to let an ego see his companions unnecessarily wounded.
    Characters:
    Harthar Damon, Playtest 5e
    Gedriwyn, Pathfinder, Aasimar Cavalier

    GMing
    Spoiler
    Show

    Harthar's Zombie Survival Game - IC - OOC - Repository - Signup
    Harthar's Kingmaker - IC - OOC

  24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    North_Ranger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Finland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Harthar's Kingmaker Part One: The Stolen Lands

    "The camp site looks awfully crowded and twisty, based on what Dhov told us. But if you so wish, take the thrice-damn wagon. At least that'll provide us with some cover", Vasili whispered as he looked at Gedriwyn. "I'll be behind it, then. Just give the signal and we'll unleash Hell."
    IN MEMORIAM 1983-2013. Bot as necessary.

    Avatar courtesy of Elder Tsofu

    Halforums.com - For the love of God, don't ask about the steak.

  25. - Top - End - #145
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    shugyosha's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Harthar's Kingmaker Part One: The Stolen Lands

    Walters

    Getting of the cart, he grabs his weapon and waits. He looks relaxed to the point where he looks bored. However, to the trained eye he is simply calm, a storm of power just patiently waiting to be released.

    "Just tell me where you want me to be and whether you want me to prevent people coming out or help with the charge in."

  26. - Top - End - #146
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Harthar's Kingmaker Part One: The Stolen Lands

    Dern

    Dern 's nerves were sprung high. He could feel the adrenaline pump at his tables. At Walters question, he just shrugged.

    "You will know best, Walters.In any case, it seems we will first swarm the first bandits so it is a moot point. If no reinforcements come, we will then altogether move towards the tent. If Kassel comes out, and you are not engaged, let us take her together. It is time, I think, we moved".

    With that, he motions to the cart handler to push it forward and signals the bandit to give the whistle at the appropriate time. He catches Gedriwyn 's cold eyes cold and serious upon him and nods to him. Dern has fathomed the Gedriwyn seems to think he is some kind of glory hound. But that OK. Strategic decisions seem like that sometimes. How could Gedriwyn know that true evil was his target in this earth?He would have time to prove himself to his companion. Hopefully.

    When he gets close enough and if he has time before the engagement, Dern tries to sense the surrounding area for the miasma of evil deeds on men's souls. Even if some bandits were hiding, their souls had nowhere to hide.

  27. - Top - End - #147
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    PhilMeyer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2011

    Default Re: Harthar's Kingmaker Part One: The Stolen Lands

    Dhovanu is relieved that her misstep did not lead to calamity. Losing the element of surprise could have ended up costing lives, perhaps even her own.

    When back to the camp she fills the others in on what she saw.

    "The turncloak was telling the truth about their camp. Two watchtowers, each with a sentry. Six men visible, probably more unseen." She then turns to the gunslinger.

    "Vasili, I didn't see your man. There was at least one tent that he could lie within, it was large enough. The woman who leads the rabble was not visible, could be she's in there, if present."

    "The terrain was rough, difficult for horse or wagon. It does open up a bit to the north where the stream forks. I would advise an approach from that direction, but any other direction would also suffice."

    --------------------------------------------------------------

    When it comes time to head back to the camp, the elf takes no chances. She moves slowly, noting any potential snags.

    Dhovanu will look for an appropriate spot to snipe from, in a bush or partially behind a tree. Hoping for some degree of cover and concealment that doesn't obstruct her shots.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Taking 10 on Stealth this time: 10 + 7 = 17
    Last edited by PhilMeyer; 2012-11-22 at 11:10 PM.

  28. - Top - End - #148
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Aug 2010

    Default Re: Harthar's Kingmaker Part One: The Stolen Lands

    If he was going to die, he might as well die doing something good. Walker calls on the voices while he waits for the stealthier characters to get into position. This may be it. If your prophesies are worth a damn, protect me tonight. Please.
    You will not die Saint Walker. Your destiny is greater than this.
    Trying to follow the elf's example, he picks his way through the underbrush. His sweaty hand firmly clutched the haft of his longspear readying himself to charge at a moments notice.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Stealth: (1d20-1)[16], Perception: (1d20+2)[6]
    Cast Protection from Evil and Divine Favor.
    Last edited by Angstrom; 2012-11-23 at 12:56 AM.

  29. - Top - End - #149
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Stormwracked verdant hive
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: Harthar's Kingmaker Part One: The Stolen Lands

    The horseman begins at a walk, the tall grasses swaying aside before his mount's chest and bridle. Then he spurs his trusty steed on into over five hundred pounds of thundering flesh and blood and iron.

    The young knight's nerves are askitter, his high speech fleeing a suddenly dry tongue as he lets loose with a wordless warcry. "HRRRAAAAAAH!"

    Wan morning light flashes across three feet of steel. The sword slashes down on one of the bandits by the campfire, eating a leisurely roast fowl breakfast, lopping his right arm off at the shoulder, hot blood spattering across his horse's flank. The stricken bandit screams, squeals, stumbles back, clutching his stump, breakfast smeared into a paste by the horse's ironshod stamping.

    The other man, a pock-marked youth in a ratty fur cloak and leather cuirass spits ale at the horse's nose and eyes, causing it to rear dangerously, heavy hooves lashing out blindly, neighing fiercely. Black-feathered shafts arc in from the watchtowers, one clattering off Damon's shield, the other grazing his neck.

    The young bandit catches up a short, flaming branch from the campfire in one hand and a crude iron mace in the other, smashing into Damon's left thigh as the horse and rider reel. "WAKE THE FRAK UP, WHORESONS! MAD KNIGHT JUST ABOUT KILLED BENNY!"

    Meanwhile, with Damon providing the mad charge and distraction that he had promised, the bandit camp is unaware of the other hunter-explorers about to fall upon them...

    Spoiler
    Show

    Meatspace-rolled for brevity's sake.

    For the record? Now I see what's one clear danger of running a GMPC.

    Do what y'all are gunna do, folks. Ball's rolling, conflict's roiling.
    ~~>DAEMONICA ELECTRONICA.
    Severe technical difficulties. Sorry for inconvenience.


    OOC Ratcatchers: Iiiiiiiiinves-ti-gate! Good times, come on! Investiiiii-gation!
    OOC Finding Paths and Making Kings: STANDOFF AT BOKKEN"S HUT.
    OOC Curse of the Crimson Throne Bandits incoming at 12-o-clock and 9-o-clock.

  30. - Top - End - #150
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    North_Ranger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Finland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Harthar's Kingmaker Part One: The Stolen Lands

    "Time to wash this land clean with blood", Vasili mutters to himself as he moves in after Gedriwyn's charge. Using the trees for cover, he pulls the string of the longbow back and fires at the sentry in the tower. For now he intends to stick to the longbow, waiting either for a more prominent target to fire at - or the sight of his father.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Move within range of the sentry tower, then shoot the arrow.

    (1d20+4)[20]
    Damage on a hit: (1d8)[6]

    And if possible, Perception check to see any sign of Gennadi - or anything that might've belonged to him.
    (1d20+6)[22]
    IN MEMORIAM 1983-2013. Bot as necessary.

    Avatar courtesy of Elder Tsofu

    Halforums.com - For the love of God, don't ask about the steak.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •