New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Harthar's Kingmaker Part One: The Stolen Lands

Deran

As Deran piles things up and appraises them, he also joins the conversation, as he usually does.

"I would also like to meet the disappearing fellow again" grunt, crash, bump.
    "I have developed a burning desire to meet him intimately and inside out" grunt, crash, bump
    "And I think the coin we got is the key, so when everybody is done, I would like the arcanely educated members of our company to take a look at it".

'As for our invited guests over here, why try to reinvent civilization from scratch? We take them to Oleg's, have a trial, even ask the Bosses their opinion and then sentence them appropriately according to Brevoy law." grunt, crash, bump "It is a Brevoy charter we have after all, and our only authority comes from that. Otherwise, we are just the people with the weapons playing enforcing our opinions as laws."grunt, crash, bump

Old man Talos had warned him that being an adventurer is mostly menial work, but Deran had not believed him. How right he had been! It seemed he had been stacking things for ages.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ogre in the Playground

"But does that mean we have to blindly follow Brevic law?" Vasili interjected, his eyes kept at the prisoners. "Does the charter mean we have to sign away our free will and do as the swordlords wish in all things? I'm not saying we should piss on the charter and see if we can make this place a new River Kingdom... but haven't we got a chance to try something new here? Something not bound by the past?"
    IN MEMORIAM 1983-2013. Bot as necessary.

Halforums.com - For the love of God, don't ask about the steak.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ettin in the Playground

Deran

Deran poses and wipes his brow of sweat.

"No law should be followed blindly, not even those made by Gods. That is why I suggested a trial. This is why you need a judge. Perhaps there is indeed a chance to create something new here. The, jurisprudence would be assigned to wiser heads than mine. But we cannot wait since then, can we?

And after all, is the conviction and punishment of people judges to be such by a trial the first point from which should we start implementing new things? As far as I know, in most kingdoms, punishments for murder, rape and theft are remarkably similar. Petty theft and highway robbery are another matter, as is yet a third the participation, unwilling especially, in a robber band.

But I am open to suggestions. My forte is not legal theory, after all. It is identifying and confronting bad people. And look good doing it!"

Deran smiles, visibly satisfied that he managed to make a joke even in such a conversation, and takes up stacking again.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Elanore Dulac

Ela shakes her head a little.

"I'm not sure a trial would be feasible... I've seen them conducted. They take a lot of paperwork and ceremony and pomp."

"I did a little thinking and there is a reason why the charter is so simple. We're out in the frontier here. No one in our situation can afford to take too long to decide."

When Deran mentions legal theory, Ela hesitates, then she gives her own opinion.

"I am not an expert on legal theory, but I can speak with some authority about doctrinal issues."

"If I were to go along with bandits and aid them in killing and robbing and even raping innocent people, you know what would happen?"

"Sarenrae would turn her face from me. I would lose all the powers bequeathed to me. She might even slay me, if the crimes I helped others commit were really evil. And it would not matter in the slightest if I were threatened with death. There are some things more important than your own life."

"These bandits may have been threatened with death or pain if they did not do as Kressle and her barbarian loverboy wished, but I believe that does not excuse them from their actions. Not completely."

She watches and listens to see how the others react.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ettin in the Playground

Deran

Deran, still piling, responds.

"You and I chose a stricter path, Elanore. Other people didn't." grunt, crash, bump.
    " Don't judge them by what would happen to us. They did not choose to become us. And you know, even among the Good Guys upstairs, there are actions that some would consider inexcusable, and other would just laugh at."grunt, crash, bump.

"I don't know if a trial necessarily needs a lot of pomp. I think it just needs someone who is impartial and some basic interrogation." grunt, crash, bump.
    " The really bad acts leave a stain on someone. This, I can smell on them. This, I would not wish to leave unpunished.

But for others, I think there are more ways than one for someone to be judged.
    " grunt, crash, bump.
    " I do not wish to fill the trees of this land with corpses, because I have the leeway to do it. There is a reason, I believe, that most legal systems allow for a variety of possible punishments for the same crime. And yes, within that framework, it matters why someone did what it did." grunt, crash, bump.
    "If it did not matter,"grunt, crash, bump.
    " then I am just a killer with an axe. And you too, but your axe is spiritual. Is that what we are? People who are right because they have backing from Up There? I don't think so.

So, I vote for Brevian law, with quicker proceedings."
    grunt, crash, bump.
    " Harsh punishment for serious crimes, restitution and second chance if possible for less serious infractions. We need people for these lands, laborers, workers. Not corpses.

And all this wisdom is making my head hurt."
    Deran, done, stands up and stretched.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Ogre in the Playground

"Well said, Deran", Vasili nodded approvingly. "The only people in this world who benefit of corpses are gravediggers. And I don't think Oleg would much appreciate such fruits hanging from the trees, either", he added wolfishly before turning to look at the prisoners.

"You there. Redhead", he spoke up, nodding towards the girl who had spoken earlier. "I'm curious... what is your name? And what was your profession before taking up brigandry?"

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ogre in the Playground

Walters

The large man continues with his labors. He listens but does not contribute: it ids above his pay grade and they didn't ask his opinion.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Elanore Dulac

Ela listens carefully to what the paladin says.

"Of course I don't judge them by the same standards you and I must uphold. But you do see my point about culpability, yes? Idly standing by or even mildly abetting evil is in itself evil. That's why we have "accessories to the crime" back home."

"And your statement about 'filling the land with corpses' is a terrible exaggeration of my point. I'm not advocating executing someone for helping a mass murderer... at least not without considering carefully."

But then she shakes her head when Deran talks about his paladin power.

"You place too much trust in your power to see evil."

"You know, or at least should know, that below a certain... level, that power does not detect evil at all. I can cast that spell myself, and I know its limitations."

"Someone would have to be very experienced in evil, or directly serve a dark god or goddess, before a paladin could sense evil in that person. Or undead, of course."

OOC: Pathfinder Detect Evil Rules
    Spoiler
    Show
    http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/s...l#_detect-evil

Detect Evil only detects level 1 evil creatures if they are clerics or antipaladins or undead or outsiders.

Otherwise, the spell only detects evil if the creature is level 5 or higher. Below that level, no evil is detected. For example, level 4 evil fighter? Nothing.

"I don't mind if you outvote me on this. I'm just an acolyte of Sarenrae; what do I know about laws and justice?"

"But consider the consequences at least of setting a bandit, even that Jax fellow, completely free on his own recognizance. We don't know what he will do with his freedom. And any action he takes, any harm he causes, will be in part -our- responsibility."

"At least if we put them to work, we'll get a better idea of their character while they serve. It's easy to pretend to be nice and harmless for a day. Much harder for a whole year."

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ogre in the Playground

"Would you be more inclined to let them go if someone were to vouch for them? No man's an island, y'know... I'm willing to bet most of our guests have their fair share of kinfolk."

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ettin in the Playground

Deran

"But you see, that is my point exactly. Let them work of their debt and give the benefit of the doubt to those we cannot be reasonably certain they are guilty.

I did not mean to exaggerate your point. If I did, please accept my apology. But idly standing by when you either join or die is too broad a stroke. And I see your point about possible evil. However, consider the possible good that could come out of it. How much good do we stamp out because we did not give a man the chance to turn around, or prove that he was actually good at the first place? What good would we miss if someone that could help built something better, and become better himself, was not given the chance, because we did not trust him?

This goes both ways, Elanore. I think we are basically in agreement here. I am just saying, if we want to really do good, we must believe that good can exist and give the benefit of a doubt. Not blindly, not foolishly, not carelessly, but perhaps we could err in the side of possible redemption rather than strictness.

If something new is to be born here, it will probably be by men and women desperate enough to leave their original homes. Or people determined enough to brave the wilderness. These people sometimes are often ... cornered. I say we could, if we can, give them a chance for a new start. Without of course disregarding the past."

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ogre in the Playground

Vasili fell oddly silent when Deran started talking about second chances, of possible good that could be lost by being too eager to play hangman. His free hand rose to his throat for a moment, rubbing it slowly. He could still remember the chafing of the hempen rope, the smell of rot and onions that even the executioner's hood could not properly contain...

"Would you consider me a good man, Ela?" the young man asked, while still waiting for the redhead to come up with an answer.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Elanore Dulac

Ela stares and squints at Vassili. Then she shrugs.

"Of course you're a good man, dear. You just need to keep your shirt on more often in company."

13. - Top - End - #223
    Ogre in the Playground

Vasili Kozhek

"I'll try and remember that, ma'am", Vasili chuckled, a small smile splitting his usually sombre face. "My point is... well, let's just say that I wouldn't be here if Gennadi had not thought to give me a second chance." With that, the young man lifted his arm, imitating the tightening of a noose around his neck. "It's a long story, I'll tell you all about when we get back to Oleg's."

14. - Top - End - #224
    Troll in the Playground

"Grrhhhrhmmm..." groans the redheaded reaver, scratching her neck as she stirs back into wakefulness.

"...wot 'e means issat 'essa dead man walkin'. Summin' like that." she says offhand, then continues, "Name's Tessalonika Konstantinova, thanks for the decency. Will y'all be givin' us the decency of a quick chop or be jawin'-an'-jawin'-an'-jawin' us to death? "

She snorts and shrugs at Walker. "Sorry. Humour."
    Avatarcred: HELL YEAH to THE Oneris! Ma'am, thank you, ma'am.
    Previous Avatars: by Dr Bath, Strawberries, zimmerwald1915

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ogre in the Playground

Vasili Kozhek

"Vasili Kozhek, on another occasion at your service", the young frontiersman answered, giving Tessalonika a nod and a smile. After that he holstered his gun and looked around a bit in the camp site. Noticing a discarded waterskin. Taking a whiff at the contents he grimaced a little. "And whoever cooked this stuff is probably blind as a bat from his own concoctions", he said as he handed the wineskin and its bad moonshine to the redhead. "Still, pass it around while we wait."

No harm in giving them something to drink, Vasili thought to himself. With a bit of luck, they might prove more talkative with some liquor warming their bellies.

"We should get a fire going", the young man suggested to his comrades. "Those fire pits need only a little stoking, and there's bound to be some vittles in that carriage. The least we can do is feed our guests before we make them march."

"As for your question", he continued, turning to look back at Tessalonika. "Well, that depends on you. And I hope you will answer my question as well. I am curious to know who Tessalonika Konstantinova was before she was a reaver", Vasili said with a smile and sat down to continue his watch over the prisoner. Clearly he didn't intend on pressing the matter. The ball was in Tessalonika's court now.

Spoiler
    Show
    BTW, I'm okay with it if we fast-forward the eating and the march back to Oleg's. Vasili can wait for Tessalonika to answer him... no point in trying to press her for answers.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Walker's eyebrows raise as Tess jokes as Vasili's expense. He let's out a small breath of relief when Vasili's seems unaffected. Good to avoid any further aggravation today. "You keep talking like we're going to be executing you? Why is that?"
    Do not provoke, Saint Walker
    Looking over his shoulder at the prisoners, he can't help but feel uncomfortable. Seven of their companions were dead, it would take some time before any attempt at truce could be made. Still, best to get back to Oleg's; put some distance, literal and mental, between them and the battle.

As much as he'd rather stay and rest by the fire, Walker pulls himself up and heads to where Walters keeps vigil over the captives. "Soup's on. While you're there, see aboot sending someone over with chow. Once you all got the wagon packed and the bodies dealt with, we can get gone."

Spoiler
    Show
    Do we have a plan for the dead bandits?

Also, Walker has no particular use for any of those items, though he'll be picking up the ability to cast witch spells on the way back to Oleg's at which point he'll spellcraft the coin and detect magic everything else. When he has free time he'll open the 'empty' chest with a hatchet. I'm thinking he doesn't have a reason to be literate, so won't be able to read through the journal.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Ogre in the Playground

Walters

Quote Originally Posted by Nexus-R.C._Mina View Post
    "...wot 'e means issat 'essa dead man walkin'. Summin' like that." she says offhand, then continues, "Name's Tessalonika Konstantinova, thanks for the decency. Will y'all be givin' us the decency of a quick chop or be jawin'-an'-jawin'-an'-jawin' us to death? "
    Walters stifles a chuckle from the the redhead's comments.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Presumably still keeping everybody tied up, yes?

Tessalonika's face seems unnaturally composed for someone contemplating their own mortality. She answers Walker, "You can't ransom any of us, none's high-born or high-placed enough to be worth anything to anybody. A trial? By whom? By the victors of a battle? PFF. Summary execution at dawn? Madre and Mr Professional there look like they miiiiiiiiight be up for it, but all o' y'all don't have the looks of cold-blooded killers. Enslave us? Feel free ta correck me, ye don't seem it."

She gives Vasili a slow smirk and says, "HAH, another occasion. Another occasion... another occasion..." Her words echo themselves, drifting into mumbling and shadows like the cold night breeze.

She sighs, forces a smile and says, "Loosen these bonds. Let us eat and drink some dinner. Nobody here's a circus contortionist t'be able ta sup using just their feet, tha's fer sure. And then, you'll get your tale, comrade Kohzek."

19. - Top - End - #229
    Ogre in the Playground

Vasili pulled out his dagger, taking a close look at Tessalonika to see if she was playing him false - or if she could be trusted not to run off.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sense Motive (1d20+3)[14]

"Deran? Shall we let them eat? Their legs will remain bound. And the one who runs gets a shot through his guts. A much, much slower death than one in the gallows."

Spoiler
    Show
    And Intimidate for good measure: (1d20+8)[12]

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ettin in the Playground

Deran

Deran, with the appraisal done, was getting ready settle for lunch. He actually seems surprised by the question.

'Of course we will let them eat. And drink, and sleep, and walk to stretch their legs, and give them blankets and built them a fire at night. They are prisoners, not animals.

And my campfire jokes need a big audience. So, it is sort of mandatory you see. '

21. - Top - End - #231
    Ogre in the Playground

"I was not suggesting they were, you wise-ass", Vasili chuckled. "And fire and blankets were a given, if we intend to stay here for the night."

With that, Vasili leaned closer to Tessalonika and firmly but calmly lifted her bound arms. "If you give me your word you will not try to run away, I will cut your bonds so you can eat and stretch your legs. I trust you will not make me regret it."

"Laughing at Deran's jokes... well, that's optional", he whispered when the paladin wasn't looking.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ettin in the Playground

Deran

Deran will help with feeding them and getting them to walk and stretch, one by one. That, with a bow and arrow in hand.

He will also, if noone objects, try the Big Maniac's axe. Seeing that it is very well made, he will clean it obsessively, oil it, sharpen it, clean it again and adjust the straps to accommodate it in his sheath.

He will also put hos own axe in the loot and keep one of the bows and some arrows.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Ogre in the Playground

Vasili Kozhek

Sometimes during the evening, when someone else took over watching the prisoners, Vasili took for himself the sad but necessary task of going through Gedriwyn's gear. The brave cavalier had perished of his wounds before Elanore had gotten to him, and he lay in state at the edge of the camp, hands crossed over the crossguard of his sword.

Vasili had respected the man, talkative as he was, and as such he made no move to remove the body's arms or armor. Gedriwyn had been a warrior in life; it was only fitting he would meet the Accidental God in the great alehouse in the sky decked in his armor and bearing his sword. Of the other goods, Vasili opted to take his backpack in place of his sack, using the latter to keep the things someone else might like - a whetstone, flint and steel, such things. His trail rations would go with the rest, as would the warhorse's saddle and bridle which Vasili managed to pull off from the dead beast with some difficult. The useful things - rope, pitons, a grappling hook - he filled the backpack and saddlebags with, and carried them over to Ember. The heavy mare was at first skittish to carry such things, but with a kind word and some carrots Vasili persuaded his old friend to carry them.

"We heard he's alive, Ember. Gennadi is alive", Vasili whispered in the mare's ear, running his hand through her mane. For the last three months he had though he and the mare were the only survivors of the blaze that had claimed their homestead. Ember, if anyone, deserved to know that they might not be alone after all.

Spoiler
    Show
    I took the liberty of taking a good chunk of Gedriwyn's common adventuring gear, since Vasili pretty much had nothing but his gun and some basic tools of the trade. Nothing unusual: hemp rope, pitons, lantern and oil, that sorta stuff. Stuff I already had or didn't believe useful for my character are in the common loot. Whetstone, for instance, would be more useful for some who's needed in melee. If you want to take Gedriwyn's fighting gear, do it yourself. Vasili's not a graverobber.

Okay, he's technically a graverobber since he looted the corpses, but that's different. We're adventurers, dammit!

I also put the team's horses in the common goods list, for bookkeeping purposes. If memory serves, of our team only Vasili and Gendry have horses, right?

24. - Top - End - #234
    Troll in the Playground

Vasili feels little resistance as he prepares to cut Tess' bonds. Far as he could tell, her gaze and posture are neutral enough to not merit suspicion of treachery. On the other side of things, the other bandits are noticably grateful as well for the small mercy of temporary liberty as well as compliably submissive and are all too wary of the chuckling fauchard-toting juggernaut, the half-dead holy warrior and the dagger-stare and sharp tongue of the solar nun. They don't seem to be too cowed by the friendly frontiersman and the pike-wielding puke-boy.

Once both legs and arms are free...

"Stretch my legs, eh?"

...Tess explodes into a fluid flurry, trapping the dagger against the ground with a solid boot, the other striking out against Vasili's legs, knocking him forward and down. As he reflexively catches himself against the log where he'd sat her down, he finds a jagged sliver of wood tickling his throat. Mere inches away from him is an almost grotesquely stretched smirk only for her to flourish the makeshift stiletto between her fingers and let it drop into the grass.

"Now THAT's a joke. Ha-ha-hah--- OW! Heh." just as a thrown duck's legbone hits her square on the noggin. The greasy-handed Jax yells, "Gorum's guts! Wot dah frak eesss wrawng witchu, Red?!"

Tess pats Vasili's shoulder and helps him down to the log. "No worries. Any of y'all could peg any runners afore they clear the trees." She then stands and stretches, plucking the bird's bone out of her hair, sucking at the fry-juices. She sighs and laces her fingers behind her head, pacing a bit as she talks, "Well, you asked... Family tradition. Used to serve the house guard of Sarekalls, minor march-warders somewhere along the Great Lake. Assigned to the bodyguard detail of the Boyar's boy, may the Lady rot his bones. Turns out he was amassing his private little fortune in gold and goons through a band of pet pirates. I killed him and some of the bastards, but for his old man's sake, made it look like the lad had died gloriously. I'spec the rest of my unit's either been hanged for failure or have scarpered and are out for my blood. Ditched that march, of course. Did some sword-shows, some guard-rides here and there. Eventually met Mr Jaxon there, and eventually's now the presently."

She nods at their captors over a bowl of Walkers' soup. "And y'all?"

Meanwhile, Deran, tends to his new axe. The haft is a solid length of oak, as long as he is tall. The lower part is wrapped in strips of leather, the butt capped in bronze. Midway up the haft is a series of etchings of a singular design--- an old symbol meaning "bull" in some of the local dialects. The head is anchored in place with four rivets as well as a socket. The double-headed bits have blade-beards long enough to serve as handguards or grapple-aids as well as being broad enough to be able to receive blows without being too badly damaged or exposing the wielder's hand to undue harm. A broadhead spearhead tops the space in between the two axe-bits.
    Last edited by Miraqariftsky; 2013-02-01 at 01:23 PM.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ogre in the Playground

Vasili stood up, feeling his throat where the piece of wood had touched his throat. Surprisingly though, he started to chuckle, then laugh. "Erastil bless you, woman! Remind me to stay on your good side!" the frontiersman laughed as he joined the others for supper. Apparently this one could take a joke... at least at first.

"As for us? Fair enough... you told us yours, we'll tell you ours", he said as he sat on the opposite rock from Tess - close enough to pull his gun if need be, but not close enough to let the young woman show her athletic talent again. "Explorers. Or suicide candidates, if some of the people back in Brevoy are to be believed. Tasked with mapping the Stolen Lands", he answered, keeping the tone of the discussion light and truthful, though keeping out any mention of the Swordlords or Brevan politics for now.

"I think my father would have liked you, had he got the chance. He had no patience for people wanting to wage war just to line their pockets. 'course... he's not my birth-father. He saved me when I was... eleven, or twelve, I guess." he said, lifting his hand to his throat and squeezing, imitating a hangman's noose. "A hanging in Pitax. Me, my birth-father - a sorry son of an exiled lordling with dreams of a kingdom and lord of everything as far as he could piss - and my uncles. Blueblooded highwaymen who kept throwing insults and threats of loyal armies coming to give everyone a bloody smile until the hangman pulled the lever. Gennadi and his wife had been leading the party of adventurers and Pitax guards who had taken them - and when the hangman moved to pull my lever, he demanded that I be released to his custody, throwing the bag of coins they had been paid at Irovetti's feet. 'You paid us gold for their lives. I will pay you gold for this one's life', he said."

Vasili chuckled at the memory. "I swear, Irovetti looked like he was going to burst an artery. There he was, a king barely crowned, staring down at a paladin who demanded mercy for a scrawny, dirty boy with a noose around his neck. What could he do? He accepted the terms, not wanting to lose face in front of the mob by hanging a paladin - especially when there was a pair of guns, two readied spells and a big-ass half-orc Gorumite just behind Gennadi, ready to turn the first guard who attacked into pie stuffing. Gennadi raised me as his own since then... more of a father to me than the prick who sired me". As he spoke, Vasili absent-mindedly mixed his soup with his spoon. When he spoke up again, he looked up, right into Tessalonika's eyes.

"He said he saw something more in me than just a brigand destined to hang. I believe I understand what he saw when I look at Jaxon. And when I look at you", he said, a chuckle rising from his lips. "Heh... he was always better at words than I'll ever be. But I hope you will remember that nonetheless", he said and picked up his spoon.

"Hey Walker!" Vasili called out after swallowing the first mouthful. "Good soup!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry for the long tale, felt like this was the right time and the right place. Ready to move on when you are. I intentionally left that discussion open so that Tess can mull his words over if she so chooses.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ogre in the Playground

Walters

Quote Originally Posted by Nexus-R.C._Mina View Post

...Tess explodes into a fluid flurry, trapping the dagger against the ground with a solid boot, the other striking out against Vasili's legs, knocking him forward and down. As he reflexively catches himself against the log where he'd sat her down, he finds a jagged sliver of wood tickling his throat. Mere inches away from him is an almost grotesquely stretched smirk only for her to flourish the makeshift stiletto between her fingers and let it drop into the grass.

"Now THAT's a joke. Ha-ha-hah--- OW! Heh." just as a thrown duck's legbone hits her square on the noggin. The greasy-handed Jax yells, "Gorum's guts! Wot dah frak eesss wrawng witchu, Red?!"
    This time he couldn't hold in his laughter.

Walters had been half listening to the conversations as he collected the spoils of war. But this really wasn't war. If it was the treatment of prisoners were clear. No, these were civilian matters which were more delicate than he liked.

Sometime later, if he can get anyone away from the prisoners, he will say, "I was hired as simple muscle, for my expertise in fighting, but as I over hear it the main problem is that some of these people might have been forced into banditry. Best to interview them all separately about each other, how they came into that mad woman's service. Corroborated stories will show a glimmer of truth."

27. - Top - End - #237
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Elanore Dulac

Ela looks shocked and horrified when Tessalonika overpowers Vassili, but she quickly calms down when the redheaded woman releases the gunslinger.

She eyes the soldier turned bandit after that. She says nothing, but her lips turn up in a smile.