New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default I.M.O.T.U.P.H. World Campaign

Character (Player):
    Kassius (Cuaqchi), Grishnik(da prophet), Karak(Eshkigal), Faren Eil(Machuchang)

Level 0: You have been in the city of Sausroi for about two yellow months of relative calm. Adventurers such as yourselves are, however, rarely calm for long, and recently the Society of Antiquarians has posted a calling for the retrieval of a stolen artefact.
    Last edited by Gildedragon; 2012-10-22 at 12:56 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: I.M.O.T.U.P.H. World Campaign

The bill by the Antiquarians directs you to the town of Trieme, about three days journey out of the city on foot into the hill-lands. It does not fully specify the task at hand, merely that an item is to be retrieved from a thief's hideout. Details, it explains, will be provided once you get there.

You know the region to be mostly lawless outside of the roads, and sometimes even on the roads themselves.

You may also know that the days of the Hero are warm, long, mostly cloudless and pleasantly windy, in and near the Aaufian hills. Thin copses of trees dot the landscape, feeding off the rich soils and many streams of the region. Hardier varietals of grape are grown to be pressed into the oaky wines of the region. Wild strawberries are in fruit, and the centuries old roads are mostly dry and level.

However, you are still in the city.
    Sausroi is bustling with the trade of summer, and you are getting ready to head towards to Trieme, via the western gate of the city.
    Last edited by Gildedragon; 2012-10-21 at 03:58 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

standing dumbfounded by the large crowd he stopps in the middle of the road to watch all the people.
    Last edited by da prophet; 2012-10-22 at 09:14 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Standing amongst the throngs of people waiting to use the western gate, and casually dumped into the back of the line due to his peasant like appearance, Kassius waited for his chance to get on road wondering, "How many others here are going to Trieme, and are any of those people the type that would help against the bandits along the way."

As the line slowly moved forward the guard eventually reached his position in line, and after a cursory view of his belongings and papers directed him out the doors and back into the open air where he had always been more comfortable. From there it was only a matter of walking the three days and keeping his eyes open for any bandits that would kill him for the fun of it after learning he had little of value to steal.

Spoiler
    Show
    A couple of things, let's start this off right with a round of good luck to the approved players. Second, I call Lime for all Kassius's speech and thoughts.

5. - Top - End - #5

Faren carefully sidled along the edge of the crowd, trying to get to the gate without pushing his way through. So far, that wasn't working too well.

"Ex- Sorry. Excuse me. Pardon me," He mumbled apologies as moved against the crowd.

By the gods! There are so many people! He thought wearily. "How am I going to make it Trieme at this rate? The artifact will be long found before I even get there!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Flumph

Karak readjusts his goggles, slightly irritated by how many of the taller folk there were around. Normally, he wouldn't even bother with this kind of thing, if it weren't for who was asking. His first contact with a Circle was within a chamber that had been disused for centuries. Who knows what other antiques would have what he seeks?

(Am I allowed to start with a bound vestige? If so, I choose Malphas, thanks to a feat that allows me to bind at +2 my level.)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

BlackDragon

Esh:
    Spoiler
    Show
    As for binders, I was thinking Kn. Arcana would be good for identifying vestiges, their sigils, goals and effects

Everyone:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'd appreciate if you could all post a link to your char sheet in the OOC thread. Just for my convenience :D thanks.

---------------------

The jostle out of the city is intense; with merchants and their guards heading both coming and going.
    The incessant push and shove that threatened to trample smaller travelers eases as soon as you are past the bridge that spans the swamps around the city. The caravans headed west spill over the road, moving in a tight group full of soldiers of fortune, keeping the chance of bandits low; at least this close to the city.
    The first day of travel is uneventful, if unpleasant. Horses, donkeys, mules, camels, and their drivers abound, wagon-wheels trundle over stones and dirt. Nonetheless, the safety of the small company of armed persons surrounding the traders is worth it.
    The crowd slowly thins over the next day; with merchants turning off different roads, and you yourselves abandoning the main road eventually. It does not take you long to notice that the number of travelers on the road has shrunk down to an odd assortment of four.
    An armored copper-red kobold with a bird perched on his shoulder and an inquisitive look in its eyes;
    a powerfully built orc, short for his kind, holding onto an axe bigger than the Kobold and of strange make;
    an aasimar druid, recognizable by the luminosity of his features and the rune-inscribed bronze sickle that hangs from his belt; and
    a northener human from the distant Attian coast, if his cloak and eyes are any indication, heavily armed and appearing competent with them.

You come across a clearing as the sun approaches the western horizon; it is the first flat piece of land you have encountered all day that is not covered in rocks, roots or trees. It is obviously a popular rest stop for travelers, with a rock-lined firepit already excavated, full of cold ashes. You can hear a brook running nearby.
    Last edited by Gildedragon; 2012-10-21 at 10:47 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8

Faren walked over to the site, obviously relieved at having found a place to rest. Soon enough, he had plopped himself down by the brook. After he had finished cleaning off the dirt of the road, he turned to inspect what remained of his roadside companions.

It's amazing how so many could be become so few. He thought as he viewed the other three travelers.Interesting sorts too...

"Say," He called out in Common, hoping that the others would be able to pick up at least a few of his words. "What brings you folks this far off the main trail? Are you all headed to Trieme as well?"

9. - Top - End - #9

WolfInSheepsClothing

Seeing there is still good light left but tired from the yourney the stout halforc takes out a fishingrod and start fishing. Asking the wanderer that spoke can you repeat in eitadu? I do not understand.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Flumph

Karak looks at the two bigger people, muttering in draconic.
    "This might be a longer trip than I thought..."
    He then speaks up.
    "Draconic? Dunley? Ritkasi?...Ancient Skorath?"
    He manages to speak them all in common, but that is the extent of his knowledge.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Moving to the fire pit the aasimar does a quick check of the coals, hoping to see if the fire could be restarted quickly. While doing so he replied in his own broken common, "Yes, Trieme. Have work with a missing artifact."

Having determined the condition of the fire pit he then began collecting dead fall, and piling the material within easy reach of who ever had fire picket before starting the flames. During his work he looked to the kobold and shook his head trying to communicate while speaking in Zraich, "Sadly, I don't speak any of those languages. I have never been that far north, though I speak a number of languages from the regions of Pellia along with a few more obscure ones."

DM:
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+9)[26] Survival to prep the camp site, since it seems like this is the best spot to stop.

12. - Top - End - #12

WolfInSheepsClothing

The small ork, fastens his fishingrod between two sticks before he turns into his big backpack finding a big kettle full of a foul smelling stew made with blood, big lumps of meat and something you dont want to know what is. In eitaidu he says man-things should eat to grow strong as the sons of the woodwatchers. he says with a very wide grin it is corteous to eat other peoples food grinning offering al of you what is in that foul kettle.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

BlackDragon

Thankfully, before any of you can answer, you hear footsteps trundling through the woods west of you.
    ------
    Perception check:
    DC 19:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You hear whispering, three voices, one female and two male

DC 29 & Common:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You understand fragments of the conversation "..." "..." "...opportunity...gear...Renny...orc"

DC 29 & Speak Garais:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You understand what they're saying."...Travelers. You think they've spotted us?" "We ought to..." "Back away? Not a chance. Look they have food and gear. We take on them and we can head back to camp. So pipe down and do as I say. Renny, bow, go after the greenskin."
    Last edited by Gildedragon; 2012-10-22 at 07:01 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Flumph

Karak tenses slightly, before sending his bird out. He seeks them out through his link, to try and determine their intent, and feeling glad that Malphas allows temporary invisibility. Didn't feel comfortable with the non reptilian...
    (1d20)[11]-perception
    Last edited by Eshkigal; 2012-10-23 at 05:24 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Looking towards the sound of voices Kassius calls out in common, "Come join our fire. The orc has made dinner."

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception(1d20+10)[25] - Damn; came close but a Level 1 it's hard to meet a 29...
    Last edited by Cuaqchi; 2012-10-22 at 09:38 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16

Faren nodded at the aasimar, and nodded.

"Excellent! That's my purpose for the journey as well!" He said excitedly. Allow me to apologize, I'm not sure if I've introduced myself. I'm Faren. Faren Eil. It's a real pleasure to meet all of you."

He smiled as the orc proffered the kettle and took a good deep whiff, before hearing the slight crackle of leaves underfoot. He cautiously rested his hand on his quarterstaff as he turned toward the sound.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+3)[12]
    Last edited by Machuchang; 2012-10-23 at 12:43 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17

WolfInSheepsClothing

starting to eat at a terrible pace he dont hear anything exept from the fire cracling lustily and of course his own eating

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20)[17]
    Last edited by da prophet; 2012-10-23 at 06:07 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

BlackDragon

Moments after your invitation you hear rustling, and a two humans, a male and a female, and a male half elf come out from the trees. They are all armed and wearing matching breastplates that have seen better days, with previous heraldry crudely scraped off and a wolf stenciled atop with rust and wax. "Well met" says the woman in common. "Very kind of you to invite us. I am Joan, and my comrades Martin and Renny." she says, gesturing to the human and half elf respectively. The latter looks at you carefully and returns the arrow in his hand to its quiver.

They partake hungrily of whatever food you offer them, sharing their own meager rations with you in return. "You seem like adventurers" says Martin. "Any chance you'd be looking for work?"

19. - Top - End - #19

Faren's eyes lit up at the mention of a job.

"What sort of thing did you have in mind?"

20. - Top - End - #20

WolfInSheepsClothing

dont understand what they say Grishnik does what any honorable man would do in the same situation nod, eat, pretend to understand what they say and say small ords he have picked up in the last weeks.

Spoiler
    Show
    bluff roll: (1d20)[14]

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Flumph

"Depends. What's involved?"
    He tries to keep his calm. Bloody nine hells, why did there have to be a half elf? Malphas always gets vocal at trying to impress anything with a drop of elf in them.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

Lizardfolk

"As my companions have said," Kassius asks, looking at the three new comers, "What is required for this job? We already have one job that shouldn't take very long; but, if yours can be in concert we may be able to take it on."

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

BlackDragon

The trio exchange looks upon hearing you have a job. Renny's brows furrow as he nods at his companions.
    "It is nothing complicated" says Joan, obviously the group's diplomat. "My friends and I are a group of free-lance adventurers. We've recently completed a retrieval for this genassi lady, but it was more difficult than expected. To make a long story short, we're having trouble getting paid, and with her in Trieme it's hard to go into town for supplies without risking getting robbed by her thugs; so we're going to Sausroi to get goods, but if you would get us rations at Trieme we can be with the rest of our company and ready up for when she sends sell-swords at us. If you were to join us against her thugs we'd be grateful; you guys could even join the Red Wolves. A wizard and a druid would be great additions"

24. - Top - End - #24

WolfInSheepsClothing

Smiling as knowingly as possible, trying to get a grasp of the conversation while setting out a fishingnet for the night.

25. - Top - End - #25

Faren listened to the new arrivals, nodding occasionally.

"The Red Wolves, huh? Well, I can't tell you that I'd be interested in fighting for your group or not, but I wouldn't mind gathering up some supplies for you at all," He said.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sense Motive: (1d20+7)[19]

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

Lizardfolk

"I honestly have no desire to fight," Kassius says, looking at the condition of the trio's armour. "And even if I did I would have no desire to do so for a leader with as little compassion for their troops that they are given shoddy, rusting armour to protect themselves."

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

BlackDragon

Faren:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You notice that after they learned of you having a job in store their pose and attitude towards you has become more guarded. They exchange more glances with each other, as if unsure of maintaining their work offer.

The trio's faces sour as the aasimar speaks. The half elf mutters something under his breath.
    "It might not be dwarvencraft adamantine, but it is certainly better than that hide you drape over yourself" replies Martin, standing. His voice drips with disdain for Kassius. He makes a move as if to draw the sword on his belt, but Joan stops him, standing to bring him back down to his seat. "We are immensely grateful for your hospitality" says she, courteously. "But I must ask for your druid to retract his words, and refrain from insulting us or our company."

Listen (on Renny)
    DC 15, Eitadu:
    Spoiler
    Show
    'should've put an arrow through that sargasso-scented ass-imar.

28. - Top - End - #28

WolfInSheepsClothing

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20)[7]

when the good smelling man thing moves to unsheat his sword grishnik- ever suspicious of man things from outside of his village takes his weapon out of the sheets while continuing to watch the people.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

Lizardfolk

"I was only stating a readily observable fact," Kassius stats, "That your armour is in such a condition means that you either are mistreated by your leadership and forced to wear shoddy materials, or your most recent adventures involved sitting in a pool of brine long enough that your armour began to rust. The problem with the latter case is that none of you show any signs of rash or scaling associated with prolonged contact between your skin and a high concentration of salt; meaning, that if that is the case you likely were not wearing the armour and instead had it stored somewhere in an attempt to conceal your allegiances.

Pausing slightly to allow his comrades to catch up to his description, Kassius moves over to the orc and gently places his hand on the man's shoulder in the hope that he could convey the possible need for a sword arm. "What that would tell me is that your organization is not as well liked as you would have us think; since, it is at least one or both of the cities of Trieme and Sausroi which required you to pickle your arms. Personally, I have no desire to be such a pariah and though you are free to share this fire with us we shall head our own way after the night passes."

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Flumph

"Friend, quiet your concerns a moment. All they ask for is food, something that wouldn't take long to do. Now, I have other things I must seek, and would not be able to join your company, but I do seek certain rumors out. Food for the price of keeping an ear out for tidbits of things I seek, perhaps?"
    Truth is, he could care less for their plight, however, selfishness doesn't do at times. Especially in the world owned by the mammals.