New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Question Invented a new board game.

I made a new board game, and it's really cool. I'd love to market it. How much does it really cost these days to get a game printed and on the market? Mine needs a large board, a few hundred cards, and some little cardboard chits. The concept is 4X Galactic Domination against a fairly weird backdrop.
    Last edited by Kislath; 2012-11-22 at 12:53 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Invented a new board game.

This link might help you, maybe?

Basically, you've got no hope of getting a board game to market yourself unless you're already very wealthy, and trying to convince retailers to stock it when you've got no pull is a nightmare. In fact, that second bit goes for everything. Basically, what you're going to want to do is start approaching the publishers who accept third-party submissions, giving them some info and gauging interest, then making tweaks to polish your game. Be ready for rejection and disappointment; thousands of games get pitched every year, and only a couple of dozen of them are actually picked up, developed and sold.

It's a very hard industry to get your foot in the door of. Worse than even authors have to deal with. Don't take it too hard if you don't get anywhere.
    Avatar by the wonderful SubLimePie. Former avatar by Andraste.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Poke Steve Jackson Games when you've got a demo version as proof of concept. They're pretty cool, and if they give you a "No" you're pretty sure not to see it in stores with subtle changes like you would if you approached Hasbro.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Acanous View Post
    Poke Steve Jackson Games when you've got a demo version as proof of concept. They're pretty cool, and if they give you a "No" you're pretty sure not to see it in stores with subtle changes like you would if you approached Hasbro.
    While that was pretty good advice in the past, Steve Jackson Games is currently not accepting third-party board game submissions. As of right now, all they want is pen-and-paper RPGs.
    Avatar by the wonderful SubLimePie. Former avatar by Andraste.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

The way of independent games these days seems to be to first prototype it so you can take it to local and regional game conventions to show off and get feedback, then once you've generated some interest in the community, to create a Kickstarter campaign to raise funds for the initial printing. Once it's in the hands of gamers who then start taking it to their own local conventions and gaming groups, you might get enough buzz for interest from game companies and distributors.

Be aware that the genre of game you're talking about really has a tendency to bog down in bookkeeping and nitpicky rules details, with most of the players mired in downtime waiting for the turn cycle to reach them, so every time you playtest, your mantra should be "simplify and streamline".

For printing, most industrial printers in your area should be able to handle whatever you can throw at them, so contact them for initial cost estimates, then shop around. Just know that because of economies of scale, it's going to be really difficult to keep your retail price below $50 for this first run. Gamers are willing to spend that much, however, for a game with unique and interesting mechanics and gameplay.
    I have my own TV show featuring local musicians performing live. YouTube page with full episodes and outtake clips here.
    I also have another YouTube page with local live music clips I've filmed on my own.
    Then there is my gaming YouTube page with Kerbal Space Program, Minecraft, and others.
    Finally, I stream on Twitch, mostly Kerbal Space Program and Minecraft.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Hm .... there are lots of new board games going the kickstarter route. So I assume that must be a viable option. Provided you can make the advertising material somehow.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

Zombie

start with boardgamegeek, plenty of info there.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Okay, thanks! I was afraid it was going to be tougher than it should be. I've got a pen & paper RPG, too, but it's not D20. It's absolutely original, though, and would make an even better TV show than game, honestly. There has never before been anything like it.

Hey, these are great links! Thanks again.

My game is kinda odd. It's a 4X game, sure, but with a couple of crazy new twists. The other players aren't the only opponents...
    Last edited by Kislath; 2012-11-24 at 03:56 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kislath View Post
    I've got a pen & paper RPG, too, but it's not D20. It's absolutely original, ...
    My game is kinda odd. It's a 4X game, sure, but with a couple of crazy new twists. The other players aren't the only opponents...
    Board Game Designers Forum and BoardGameGeeks
    have already been mentioned, that should cover the basics...

To be original is sure nice, but how many games do you know ?
    And how much playtesting, with how many people has been done yet ?

Also, see how the author of webcomic Schlock Mercenary announced his new game.
    While a newcomer at gaming, he has enough readers to pull this off.
    -HaJo

FLW: Oh, no. We're being rescued. How embarrassing!