New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

Default Millenials to end football?

At least, that's the contention of this article

The emergence of the Millennial generation poses an existential threat to the future of the National Football League.

Pro football, depicted by Mr. Sabol as a confrontation between good and evil in which there can be only one winner, matched the values of baby boomers a half century ago. But this focus is not as appealing to the Millennial generation with its focus on win-win solutions and an instinct for avoiding confrontation.

Furthermore, out of concern for the future health of their children, many protective mothers and fathers of Millennials are deciding their kids should not play tackle football at all. These attitudes could close the NFL’s pipeline to many talented players within the coming decade. But these concerns also have the potential to change NFL culture for the better.
    :Blinks, puzzled:

My initial gut is that this is hogwash. Anyone who's seen Millenial people playing call of duty or reads the game threads here knows that good vs. evil still sells. A LOT. That while we all know we're supposed to be good little boys and girls and talk our problems through, a good old-style kick-in-the-door-and-smackdown-the-dark-lord is still something people love to do.

I'm curious whether the author read Generation Kill , which suggested the opposite -- that violent video games had so normalized violence that millenials are a more violent generation than previous ones.

=============

But then I think, these articles are written by people who are not millenials. And where can I find a couple thousand millenials except at the playground?

So .. any millenials here? What do you think? Are you the wishy-washy diplomats who can't stand conflict that the first writer seems to think you are? Or are you the hyperviolent killers of the second writer? Or neither?

For myself .... I was born in 1971. My mom tried very hard not to let me play with toy guns or play with violent games or watch violent movies. It didn't work. At all. Getting the snot beat out of me in public school more or less permanently cured me of pacifism.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

-Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: Millenials to end football?

I take it that millenials are the generation born starting with the year 2000?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

I'm a child of the 80s; however, my instinct is to cast my vote firmly for the "hogwash" column. There's been a long-running fuss in this country about non-competitive sports days and refusal of parents to let their children engage in competition for fear they might lose, but I don't believe it's either a serious going concern or something which actually has any long-lasting effect: rather, that it's something that certain papers use to sell copy when they can't think of anything better to write.

Health and safety (and an increasingly litigious personal injury culture) might yet put a stop to contact sports, but I think that's a long way off.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Well that's utterly bizarre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

I'm not sure what a millenial is, and I'm certainly no (american) football fan, but you'd be pressed if you tried to find someone with more generally violent tendencies. If not for a significant amount of self-control and a generally rational mindset, I'd probably be in jail over a violent crime by now. I was born in the 80's by the way.

Seriously, my first instinct upon being sleighted is usually something to the effect of, "punch 'em in the throat and take his wallet." Fortunately I never act on that initial instinct.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

6. - Top - End - #6

Yes! Millenials shall crush football, trampling it mercilessly under their iron-shod boots, because they hate conflict.

Wait, what?
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

7. - Top - End - #7

Probably more meant as "They have no interest in playing or watching it". I can't tell, I'm not a sports fan and American Football doesn't exist over here. World Football won't die out any time soon.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

I see some definitions are in order.

Americans name specific generations of families thus:

The Greatest Generation (born 1920-1945). So-called because these are the people who fought in World War 2. Not many of these left. The critical event marking this generation is that they remember WWII. Not many of these left.

The Baby Boom (Born 1945-1965). So-called because there was a massive birth spike when all the soldiers came back from the war, and the Baby Boom is the result. People of this generation remember the assassination of John F. Kennedy, the Vietnam War, and the Cuban Missile Crisis. Also the Beatles , Woodstock, the Rolling Stones. The Civil Rights Movement. People of this age listened to old people rant about rock music and long hair.

This is the most important generation currently because they are more numerous than the succeeding generations, which are smaller. They also tend to be the people in the most important jobs.

Generation X (born 1965-1995) This generation was the children of the Baby Boom's youth. It is quite small, IIRC , because many baby boomers waited until much later to have children. People of this generation remember the Challenger Disaster, The Wall coming down in Europe, the events of 1989. Ronald Reagan. Guns & Roses. Duran Duran. Nirvana. The original My Little Pony, GI Joe, and Transformers. People of this age listened to old people rant about Dungeons and Dragons.

This is the generation I am from, born in 1971.

Millenials (also known as generation Y) (born 1995-??). These are the generation of my children if any of them had lived, and the children of the baby boom's maturity. It is larger because many boomers had to work through college, pay off their debts, and gain financial security before they really started having many kids.

These are the people who are currently going through high school and college. The events so far of their generation are the events of 9/11/2001, the wars of the first decade of the twenty-first century, and the current economic crisis. Not to mention my little pony remakes, Harry Potter, facebook, google. Old people rant about all of the above.

At any rate, that's what Americans mean when they use the word "millenial". I may not be using the definitions quite correctly, but I think they'll do well enough to get on with.

Yes! Millenials shall crush football, trampling it mercilessly under their iron-shod boots, because they hate conflict.

Wait, what?
    I believe the hypothesis is that because their parents will not put them into the "feeder programs" that lead into the NFL, there will therefore be few new players for the national football league. I have a hard time believing this. I have a friend whose son is a vigorous little athlete, just like his father, and he will certainly be on a football track if he can overcome his asthma.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

-Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

I live in the "south" region of the US. From what I've seen around me, I don't expect (american) football to go away any time soon. My younger sister has absolutely plastered my nephew with the logo of her favorite college team. He's only 2 so he doesn't seem to mind.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm a millennial, and honestly, American Football is the only sport I can stand to watch. Although, that may be because I'm Southern...

Sig by Mornings
    My Art!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Any threat to the future of American football will come from safety issues, and lawsuits over those issues, not because some people are less interested in win-lose competitive sports.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post

Generation X (born 1965-1995) This generation was the children of the Baby Boom's youth. It is quite small, IIRC , because many baby boomers waited until much later to have children. People of this generation remember the Challenger Disaster, The Wall coming down in Europe, the events of 1989. Ronald Reagan. Guns & Roses. Duran Duran. Nirvana. The original My Little Pony, GI Joe, and Transformers. People of this age listened to old people rant about Dungeons and Dragons.

This is the generation I am from, born in 1971.

Millenials (also known as generation Y) (born 1995-??). These are the generation of my children if any of them had lived, and the children of the baby boom's maturity. It is larger because many boomers had to work through college, pay off their debts, and gain financial security before they really started having many kids.
    I had always thought (informed by Wikipedia) that Gen Y started around the time I was born (early 80s) and that the "millennials" were the next generation after that.

(Incidentally, I've always felt that "Generation Y" with its inherent unoriginality of terminology was an apt enough assessment of my peer group).

If the article is correct, it's really addressing two completely separate issues. Firstly is the apparent lack of aggression and competitive instinct apparent in modern young people that would lead to a decline in sport viewing and participation. I think this is largely a red herring, but it'd be too early to see a pattern either way I think.

The second is a failure of the supply of contact sports players due to an overemphasis on health and safety on the training field. This isn't really anything to do with the millennials themselves, but rather a policy imposed by their parents (Gen Xers, for the most part). This is probably a more realistic concern, but one I think is largely overplayed.
    League Wiki

Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

13. - Top - End - #13

Hm. I'd feel strange being grouped with people who grew up with the eighties as their childhood. I mean, they define a lot of the stereotypical "Nerd stuff" of today, but you know what? I was born in 1987. I don't remember the eighties. I don't remember the Soviet Union existing. I don't know the NES, or He-Man or GI Joe or most Schwarzenegger and Stalone movies, except as late-night re-runs.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah, calling hogwash on it too.

Everyone know that a little competition is healthy.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Hm. I'd feel strange being grouped with people who grew up with the eighties as their childhood. I mean, they define a lot of the stereotypical "Nerd stuff" of today, but you know what? I was born in 1987. I don't remember the eighties. I don't remember the Soviet Union existing. I don't know the NES, or He-Man or GI Joe or most Schwarzenegger and Stalone movies, except as late-night re-runs.
    Two years makes a huge difference then. I was born in '85 and I remember all of that to at least some extent.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, I'm calling baloney too. I'm just on the outer edge of Gen-X, born in 1980. (I've never heard of anybody using "Gen-X" to refer to a birth year as late as the 1990s - most sources I've seen use something like 1965-ish to 1980-ish, at least for the US).

There's definitely a lot more concern about safety, especially with all of the concussion studies coming out recently. But there's a lot more awareness about the issue, and there have been some youth football rules changes for injuries. (The Pop Warner league has recently changed some of its rules to address just that). I really don't see this as stopping the game generally. As long as high schools are raising money by having football teams, there will continue to be football teams.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    I had always thought (informed by Wikipedia) that Gen Y started around the time I was born (early 80s) and that the "millennials" were the next generation after that.

(Incidentally, I've always felt that "Generation Y" with its inherent unoriginality of terminology was an apt enough assessment of my peer group).
    Nah, 1980's was definitely Generation X, I remember being called that all the time growing up. My kids are part of Generation Y.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Every media outlet has its own definition for Generation X, Generation Y, and the millennials.

Generation Y are simply the people that don't fit into X or millennials. I think it just represents the gap of people who don't fit into Gen X or the millennials. Likely those who were born around 1980.

Actually, I think the stuff about the millennials being "win-win" is silliness. Upper-middle class millennials have been pressured to succeed throughout their lives. If anything, they may be more competitive than their predecessors.
    Last edited by snoopy13a; 2012-10-21 at 05:32 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by snoopy13a View Post
    Every media outlet has its own definition for Generation X, Generation Y, and the millennials.

Generation Y are simply the people that don't fit into X or millennials. I think it just represents the gap of people who don't fit into Gen X or the millennials. Likely those who were born around 1980.
    Well this is the problem. It's a useless label if everybody has a different understanding of it. There's a world of difference between someone born in '65 or even '75, who grew up during the Cold War and whose formative years were entirely in its shadow, and someone born in '85 whose first memory of any global significance was the Wall coming down. The formative political, cultural and economic circumstances are completely different.

In fact, though, I think the generational labels are too wide and generic as it is. Generations (like centuries) are really epochal and locative rather than strictly chronological.

In any case, I'd consider myself towards the top end of "Generation Y" rather than the tail end of Gen X, although I'm inclined to reject the label altogether. The cultural touchstones I have in common with someone born in 1974 are just as few as those born in 1994.
    Last edited by Aedilred; 2012-10-21 at 06:03 PM.
    League Wiki

Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Well this is the problem. It's a useless label if everybody has a different understanding of it. There's a world of difference between someone born in '65 or even '75, who grew up during the Cold War and whose formative years were entirely in its shadow, and someone born in '85 whose first memory of any global significance was the Wall coming down. The formative political, cultural and economic circumstances are completely different.
    It's the same with baby boomers. Someone born in '46 had a vastly different upbringing than someone born in '62. It is easy to identify the first baby-boomers--those born after WWII, but when is the end date? 1950? 1955? 1960? 1965?

Still, I think millenials can be identified as people whose entire lives have been in the internet era. They don't remember the internet's growing pains, and they don't remember when it was uncommon to have a cell phone.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Personally? I have no interest in football. The complex rules combined with a chaotic warlike atmosphere makes it arbitrary and confusing. Possibly the only good football memory I have was when Eli Manning made an amazing catch for the Giants at the end of a Superbowl game. I think it was Giants vs. Colts, one Manning brother on each team.

However, I can see the appeal for people who care enough to study the rules, and I don't think it's going anywhere. I just wish that the Powers That Be (the TV executives) would stop showing football as the only sport on non-sports channels. Either air regular shows, or show some variety, dammit!
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

I think that realistically millennial should stretch as far back as 1990. Because nothing of real significance happened in the mid/late 90's (or at least, nothing they told me about) the realisation about world events and such started with 9/11 for that generation. We also shared in the Harry Potter boom. Heck, I can remember waiting for the release of 2 and 3 - these were the books that literally taught me how to read.

At any rate, if you look at the popularity of competitive and violent video games then you know that the spirit of competition/violence is far from dead and that in fact if anything was to pose a risk to football it would probably be these acting as competition and drawing kids away.

Not that any sports fan would ever admit that their passion is no longer the best way to get kids fired up, excited and entertained

(OTOH, I live in Australia and sports are obviously far from dead here. Well, maybe Rugby League.)
    *Splendid Goatatar by that cool kid Serpentine
    "Give me a woman who loves beer and I will conquer the world"

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    Two years makes a huge difference then. I was born in '85 and I remember all of that to at least some extent.
    I was born in the 80's and I don't remember any of them... what do you mean being in the 80's for 2 weeks doesn't count?
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

There were a few things that happened in the early to mid 90's. the Gulf War, the OJ Simpson trial, Oklahoma bombing (I remember the front pages), Sydney Olympics being announced, Y2K paranoia (though that was more late). Michael Jackson was still the coolest guy ever, Jurassic Park came out, The Simpsons was well into their stride and we wore bright colours and hyper coloured t-shirts and went to arcades.

I was born in '84 and I consider myself Gen Y. Why? I still remember what it was like before the Internet or even the GUI (computers we had when I first started school we had to manually load program's through the 5 1/4 disks. Internet when having a mobile phone (an enourmous brick) meant you were either a businessman or a tradie.

And back then, video games WERE for kids. Thing is, that generation are or have grown up and are having kids, and they're still playing games. I think we've slowly killed the whole 'games are for kids' thing.

As for sports, I don't mind them. We live near a stadium a d did go to an AFL game, but the world doesn't stop. I don't see sports dying as long as there are people who go (and there are a lot). That guy was being rather hysterical, I think.

Besides, what would we do without the coma imposed on Australian makes every summer by Channel 9?

And I cannot understand gridiron, either how it's played it the methods. So I stopped trying.

Running Tomb of Horrors 4E in all that horrific tombyness.

My Blog The Level 1 GM

25. - Top - End - #25
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

As a member of the U.S. Military I can vouch for the American fighting spirit and can proudly say that I've seen it is alive and well first hand. There are roughly a million people in the military (throughout the different services) and a lot of those folks are the Gen Y/Millennials. So, I don't think we're being conditioned to shy away from confrontation.

I agree that the largest threat to football is lawsuits and the potential for severe injury. But that can happen in soccer too.

*I was also born in 1984.
    Last edited by INDYSTAR188; 2012-10-21 at 09:04 PM. Reason: Wanted to add my age.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Katana_Geldar View Post
    There were a few things that happened in the early to mid 90's. the Gulf War, the OJ Simpson trial, Oklahoma bombing (I remember the front pages), Sydney Olympics being announced, Y2K paranoia (though that was more late). Michael Jackson was still the coolest guy ever, Jurassic Park came out, The Simpsons was well into their stride and we wore bright colours and hyper coloured t-shirts and went to arcades.
    I said mid/late 90's which really excludes the Gulf War if you were born 90-94. The others weren't really big international affairs (except for Billy and the Cloneasaurus/Simpsons, but I was talking about big news type affairs). Maybe they dominated the news of their day, but the morning of 9/11 everyone at my Primary school was huddled in small groups and talking about it and nothing else. I imagine it would have been the same with the fall of the Soviet Union, which is why I draw the comparison.

EDIT: Toy Story. That was bigger for my generation than Jurassic Park by a mile
    Last edited by Klose_the_Sith; 2012-10-21 at 09:09 PM.
    *Splendid Goatatar by that cool kid Serpentine
    "Give me a woman who loves beer and I will conquer the world"

27. - Top - End - #27
    Firbolg in the Playground

I hope so. American football should be destroyed as rapidly as possible.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

28. - Top - End - #28
    Bugbear in the Playground

As someone born in 1993, I would call myself a millenial; I don't remember any of the things you have listed for Generation X. Personally, I love football just the way it is - something about the raw savagery just appeals to me (I think I would have done well in a culture where gladiator fighting was still a thing). And when people talk about how "everyone should be a winner" and "we don't want anyone to get hurt," that just annoys me. Could a kid get hurt playing football? Sure. But if you're keeping that kid from playing sports because he could hurt himself, you're lowering his life expectancy a LOT more than those potential injuries ever would. Seriously, if this article is true (which I wouldn't think it is, the way my peer group reacted to the games today) I'm gonna be really mad at my little cousins.
    Quotes!
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    BY THE HEAVENS! Dimonite! You are even more awesome than I thought!
    Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    *high fives!*
    That was awesome, made me smile.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Witch-King View Post
    THIS aberrant, ancient evil ain't no playa! I'm gonna take care of my little Meduthids and my Spawnling Mama! Besides which--the Old Ones know the Elder Brain keeps pestering me about giving it some Grandspawnlings...
    The Neutralizer - my 3.5 class that attempts to make wizards less OP.
    Fantastic dragonpuppy drawn by my sister in the ancient times.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade Paladin View Post
    I hope so. American football should be destroyed as rapidly as possible.
    I wouldn't buy that for a dollar. I rather like it.

Sig by Mornings
    My Art!

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Klose_the_Sith View Post
    I said mid/late 90's which really excludes the Gulf War if you were born 90-94. The others weren't really big international affairs (except for Billy and the Cloneasaurus/Simpsons, but I was talking about big news type affairs). Maybe they dominated the news of their day, but the morning of 9/11 everyone at my Primary school was huddled in small groups and talking about it and nothing else. I imagine it would have been the same with the fall of the Soviet Union, which is why I draw the comparison.

EDIT: Toy Story. That was bigger for my generation than Jurassic Park by a mile
    Ok, here's another. The death of Princess Di.

Running Tomb of Horrors 4E in all that horrific tombyness.

My Blog The Level 1 GM