New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Hypocrasy?

1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Hypocrasy?

An off hand remark by someone lead me to thinking about something about this board.
    Why would the act of love between two PCs earn an infraction, whereas acts of violence (such as bashing someone with a weapon) or torture or selling one's soul to a devil or some such evil deity are completely acceptable? And please dont try and differentiate on explictness, because very, very few DMs say, "you hit the beast for 10 points, it dies". Even if they do, its still an act of violence.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Hypocrasy?

I think standard procedure is to bring it up VIA PM with either the mod who made the ruling or some other mod/admin.
    Dark Souls Remake in a Nutshell
    Don't mess with a Primarch

Sometimes I make avatars too. Shoot me a PM if interested.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MikelaC1 View Post
    Why would the act of love between two PCs earn an infraction, whereas acts of violence (such as bashing someone with a weapon) or torture or selling one's soul to a devil or some such evil deity are completely acceptable?
    I doubt a simple act of love between two PCs will learn an infraction. We have the forum rules and these are valid for posting, PM, PbM, and so on.
    Some topics remain off-limits even where they intersect with gaming or other activities discussed on the forum. Explicit sexuality? Inappropriate. Graphic violence? Inappropriate. Bashing someone with a weapon? go for it, the combat part is well expected in D&D.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

I was under the impression that both were perfectly acceptable as long as you didn't stray in graphic territory.

As Killer Angel says, on the list of Inappropriate topics:

Quote Originally Posted by Forum rules
    Graphic violence
    [...]
    Explicit sexuality
    So yes, both explicit sex and explicit, graphic violence are unacceptable under board rules.

"Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot" - N.Gaiman, The Sandman

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Then why do all DMs get away with graphic depictions of the outcome of battles?
    #GoreMutualarejerks

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

I believe the correct answer in these cases is: if you see something you think it's against forum rules, report it.

EDIT: it would depend from the definition of "graphic" you're using, I guess, as well as the definition of "explicit".
    Last edited by Strawberries; 2012-10-22 at 11:59 AM.

"Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot" - N.Gaiman, The Sandman

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

Also keep in mind that the rule tends to be "PG-13, American style" on the forums. There's a level of 'graphic violence' that's acceptable in PG-13 beyond a point where more intimate content would be.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    Also keep in mind that the rule tends to be "PG-13, American style" on the forums. There's a level of 'graphic violence' that's acceptable in PG-13 beyond a point where more intimate content would be.
    I use the "Willow" rule of violence in this case.

In Willow, sword fights explicitly ended in characters being skewered on swords and cut, etcetera, but the only "graphic" thing that had occured was the impalement of the villain on a Sword, and even that was not entirely shown, just obviously infered by the camera angle.

So in my fights what I do is let characters perform actions, but when the obvious occurs, I don't expound on it with every graphic detail, because I, and the players know what happened.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

And this is the hypocritical thing, the bloody violence is okay, but not sex.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I think that the thing with sex is that it's more addicting and stuff, but violence isn't quite as bad.

11. - Top - End - #11

Well, yeah, but you take that up with the entirety of the United States' culture, not with the Giant.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Armin View Post
    I think that the thing with sex is that it's more addicting and stuff, but violence isn't quite as bad.
    That's...just kinda nonsense.

I mean, I disagree with OP, there's nothing hypocritical about this, but it has nothing to do with addiction.

Its a social construct. The board plays by American morality which runs along the lines of Video of a bashed in head - OK! Video of a nipple? Not ok!

It isn't hypocritical because sex and violence are not the same thing. It maybe silly, but it isn't hypocrisy.
    "So...the orphan attacked you?
    "Aye"
    "And so you cut him down with your axe in self defense."
    "Aye..."
    "I don't believe you."
    "Damn...would ye believe that th' orphan was an alien?"
    "No"
    "Damn."

13. - Top - End - #13

...On a re-read, is this just a hypothetical situation and not based on any mods taking action on a post/thread of yours?

Because if that's the case, insulting people for something they haven't actually done yet isn't the best way to make friends and influence people.

14. - Top - End - #14

Well, yeah, but you take that up with the entirety of the United States' culture, not with the Giant.
    This, pretty much.
    It is inevitable, of course, that persons of epicurean refinement will in the course of eternity engage in dealings with those of... unsavory character. Record well any transactions made, and repay all favors promptly.. (Thanks to Gnomish Wanderer for the Toreador avatar! )

Wanna see what all this Exalted stuff is about? Here's a primer!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Sheriff: I'm not even sure what a helpful response to this would be, so let me run through the possibilities.

First, if this is about a specific act of moderation, please PM the moderator with your inquiry/complaint. Then, if not satisfied, PM me. Second, if this is about the Forum Rules themselves, divorced from any specific instance, PM me directly, though you're likely to get a response that they Forum Rules are carefully crafted, frequently reviewed, and well-established; we're unlikely to change them. Third, complaints like this about the Forum Rules or specific acts of moderation are prohibited as Inappropriate Topics:

Rules/Moderator Complaints: Our forum rules have all been carefully considered before being implemented, and we do expect that all users abide by them, even if they do not fully agree with the reasoning behind them. We are happy to answer questions about the rules in the Board/Site Issues forum, but unsolicited whining, kvetching, or general complaining about the existing rules will be removed, as will complaints about specific moderators, moderator actions, or the moderation staff in general. If you have a concern involving a moderator or the forum rules, we ask that you send a PM to Roland St. Jude, the Forum Guru.

I suppose, by the book, I ought to remove this thread entirely, but in the interest of avoiding confusion, I'll leave it.

Finally, what is too explicit or too graphic is not something that can be explained in the abstract and applied satisfactorily to all instances. Posters are advised to err on the side of caution, learn from any Warnings they receive or post scrubbings they see, and ask a moderator for the relevant section (via PM) if they have specific concerns. The standard here has often been described as roughly equivalent to the U.S. PG-13 rating, which is helpful if not definitive. (That standard has changed over the years and is based on a motion picture setting, where images and words can be far more fleeting than in a written medium.)

I'm not going to guess at what the OP is talking about and try to address that. So, I'll leave this with my usual advice: err on the side of caution.
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2012-10-22 at 02:04 PM.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex