New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Pokemon in D&D

1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Pokemon in D&D

So, here's my idea. I would like to make a d&d character that would basically be a pokemon trainer. He would catch monsters instead of killing them and use them to fight for him. Has this ever been done before? What is the best way to try and do it?

Ideally the character could be able to catch monsters and store them away, but could also summon them when needed. Bonus points if he can include some kind of spherical magic items in the mix.
    Great avatar by Serpentine!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Pokemon in D&D

Ring of Sustenance + Keep each one in a Portable Hole.

Dominate Monster and/or Mindrape to keep them under your control.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Flumph

Summoner? I choose you, 1d4+2 Celestial Eagles!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Dominate monster + Bag of holding typing IV
    Admiral Cranthis, Inventor of the Cranthis (Sandwich) and the Gnomish Paratroopers, and rider of Chuckles, the dire pig.

Awesome avatar by TinyMushroom!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

The easiest way is going to be with charm or dominate style tricks. Handle Animal's ability to rear a wild animal would work if you caught it in its infancy (and you could use the epic usages to use Handle Animal on non-animals).

But let's see. You normally attack a wild pokemon until it is weak, then throw something at it to catch it. Then you store it and release it later.

Weakening the enemy can easily become debuffing the enemy and keeping it in place, so I can charm it. If you want to keep the pokeball, maybe Alchemist Savant to add a charm effect to a splash weapon? Then you can throw a spellvial at your target, and when it hits, they will be targeted with Charm Person/Animal/Monster.

For shrinking it down, maybe Statue + Shrink Item?

Alternatively, your pokeball could be Bands of Steel or Ectoplasmic Cocoon, and then you could debuff the enemy heavily and charm them. A sublime chord could do this particularly well, especially because you could use your bardic music to fuel Doomspeak, which is a pretty nice way to soften up an enemy for a charm effect.
    Optimization Showcase in the Playground

Former projects:
    Shadowcaster Handbook
    Archer Build Compendium

Iron Chef Awards!
    Spoiler
    Show

GOLD
    IC LXXVI: Talos
    IC LXXV: Alphonse Louise Constant
    IC XLIX: Babalon, Queen of Bones
    IC XLV: Dead Mists
    IC XL: Lycus Blackbeak
    IC XXXIX: AM-1468
    IC XXXV: Parsifal the Fool
    IC XXX: Jal Filius

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

*is now having trouble breathing because of irony induced laughter*

Link
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

roll malconvoker from complete scoundrel. it's all about summoning monsters and making your summons stronger, bigger, meaner, auto-extending them, and giving you more of them. take "spell thematics" too. the example is literally "when summoning a monster, you may have it appear out of a sphere when conjured"
    Last edited by Venger; 2012-10-21 at 01:42 PM.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

8. - Top - End - #8

GreenSorcererElf

Enchanter (or Conjuror?) with Mindbender PrC from Complete Arcana.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

You didn't say PF, but there is the Preservationist archetype for the Alchemist class.

Here the synop :

Some alchemists are obsessed with collecting and preserving exotic creatures. These preservationists may use bottled animals and monsters as teaching tools, but some learn how to reanimate them for short periods to battle on the alchemist’s behalf.

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Roncorps View Post
    You didn't say PF, but there is the Preservationist archetype for the Alchemist class.
    Oh my god, that souds really spot-on. Thank you!
    Great avatar by Serpentine!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

No prob, but the only drawback I see from what you wanted is that the creatures are destroyed after the end of the "summoning". And you can only summon via Nature ally, but there is a discovery adding Ooze to the list. I'm pretty sure that there could be a house ruling over monster summoning via the preservationist.

Good thing is that Augment Summoning feat (+4 con / +4 str) is applicable and the best part is that you only lose the poison part of the Alchemist.
    Last edited by Roncorps; 2012-10-21 at 04:12 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

The Ball Master prestige class in Son of A Portable Hole is exactly this class.

The face of magic has changed. New times bring new methods, and the children of this new age have begun to challenge even the mightiest archmagi with their new-found powers. These magics involve strange new foci, each with their own specific tricks and powers.

The ball master is a very specialized summoner, able to bring forth the same creature again repeatedly, using a foci dedicated to that creature. In time these creatures rise in power as the summoner does, becoming larger and more potent with each level.

Some ball masters take up the summoning spheres for their deity, or out of faith, while others seek only power and fame. Some do it primarily not to fight with their summoned creatures, but to collect as many different varieties of summoned creature as possible and to train them and advance them into much more powerful creations.
    While SoPH is a humor book, there are a lot that can be actually used. On the Ball Master from the "Seriously?" sidebar:
    The Ball Master, while obviously based on a stereotyped anime television series / toys / video games and so forth, is playable exactly as written as an alternate conjurer prestige class that is reliant upon magical foci and trinkets for its most powerful magics. If being used as such, change the name to something less silly, and add Craft Wondrous Item to the requirements to join the class (so they can make their own foci instead of relying on other casters).
    No fair! They're using brains against us.