New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default The Iron Tower [IC]

You've been drawn here. So here you are, standing in front of the tower. You've managed to find a few others who can see it too, and you're ready-you think-to go in.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Iron Tower [IC]

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    You've been drawn here. So here you are, standing in front of the tower. You've managed to find a few others who can see it too, and you're ready-you think-to go in.
    William Waugh chuckles. "Well, we might as well get started."

If there's not an entrance immediately in front of him, he turns to look for one.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Paula grips her(well, her brother's) baseball bat tighter, and takes a deep breath. She didn't really know who the people around her were, but they were all here, and seemed to have the same goal. And she didn't really want to explore the tower on her own. "Yup. Let's do it."
    Avatar of Lukas Stormlord the Paladin done by the Lovely Ceika!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Lets figure out what this is.

Spoiler: What does The Cole Train see?
    Show

With that passive 24 perception does he see anything weird besides the large tower?

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamD40 View Post
    Lets figure out what this is.

Spoiler: What does The Cole Train see?
    Show

With that passive 24 perception does he see anything weird besides the large tower?
    Spoiler: Perception DC 24
    Show
    Nothing seems to be popping out at you-though there is a slight crack in the side of the tower. It's square-shaped-perhaps a hidden door?

Show
    Show

Show

6. - Top - End - #6

GreenSorcererElf

WC Moves up to the square crack, and presses on it, looking for any traps.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Judging that William Cole has the task of finding an entrance well in hand, William Waugh stands well back in case there is a trap and pulls out his camera. He points it at the tower such that if the tower was visible, it would fill half of the frame, and then slowly moves it until the tower should completely fill the frame.

Still invisible?

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by whiteflash View Post
    Judging that William Cole has the task of finding an entrance well in hand, William Waugh stands well back in case there is a trap and pulls out his camera. He points it at the tower such that if the tower was visible, it would fill half of the frame, and then slowly moves it until the tower should completely fill the frame.

Still invisible?
    Through the camera, an ordinary street is visible.

Show
    Show

Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Through the camera, an ordinary street is visible.
    I pause to compose a decent looking picture of that street and then snap the shot. Then I look to the other William to see how his checking for traps is coming along.

Edit: Actually, I think I'll also snap a shot that the tower should half-fill. Just for comparison's sake.
    Last edited by whiteflash; 2016-07-20 at 04:59 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Paula raised an eyebrow at the shutterbug, but made no comment. She then approached the one examining the tower. "Find anything?"

11. - Top - End - #11

The door suddenly cracks open, a small pall of mist coming out. It begins to slowly open all the way, revealing a dark passageway.

Show
    Show

Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

The door suddenly cracks open, a small pall of mist coming out. It begins to slowly open all the way, revealing a dark passageway.
    I point my camera to see if the open passageway visible through the door is visible through it.
    Last edited by whiteflash; 2016-07-24 at 06:20 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13

I point my camera to see if the open passageway visible through the door is visible through the viewfinder.
    Spoiler: Camera
    Show
    Still just an ordinary street.

As he points his camera through, it suddenly sparks, and the lights die on it.

Show
    Show

Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Camera
    Show
    Still just an ordinary street.

As he points his camera through, it suddenly sparks, and the lights die on it.
    William lets out a string of harsh-sounding words in what sounds like several different languages at the sudden light exactly where he was looking, and then takes a second to compose himself.

" ... Well, that probably means we won't be listening to my mp3 library in there."

I try to take stock of the damage. Is it just reacting weirdly to the Tower and fine once I point it away, or is it obviously no longer a functioning camera under these or any other circumstances? Also, is there a series of damaged bits of camera that can be individually targeted by the Mending cantrip, or is the camera just totally borked?
    Last edited by whiteflash; 2016-07-24 at 06:39 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15

William lets out a string of harsh-sounding words in what sounds like several different languages at the sudden light exactly where he was looking, and then takes a second to compose himself.

" ... Well, that probably means we won't be listening to my mp3 library in there."

I try to take stock of the damage. Is it just reacting weirdly to the Tower and fine once I point it away, or is it obviously no longer a functioning camera under these or any other circumstances? Also, is there a series of damaged bits of camera that can be individually targeted by the Mending cantrip, or is the camera just totally borked?
    The camera looks like the battery had a minor combustion. It's likely fine, if you can replace the battery.

Show
    Show

Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

The camera looks like the battery had a minor combustion. It's likely fine, if you can replace the battery.

"... Interesting."

How smooth is the surface in front of the tower? Could my character slide one of his spare laptop batteries into the Tower, rather than having to carry it in in his hand?

17. - Top - End - #17

"... Interesting."

How smooth is the surface in front of the tower? Could my character slide one of his spare laptop batteries into the Tower, rather than having to carry it in in his hand?
    The door, which has fully opened by now, forms a perfectly smooth ramp into the tower.

Show
    Show

Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

The door, which has fully opened by now, forms a perfectly smooth ramp into the tower.

"Hm. Before we go in, there's something I want to try."

I walk past the other William, take out a spare laptop battery, hesitate for a second, and then shift it from my right hand to my left and try to slide it into the Tower with my left hand. I have my eyes closed and pointed away from the battery, and try to push it with a sudden quick thrust without needing my hand to be on the battery at the moment it enters the Tower.

19. - Top - End - #19

The battery sparks, and, as it enters the tower, explodes in a shower of more sparks. Burnt casing is left behind.

Show
    Show

Show

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

The battery sparks, and, as it enters the tower, explodes in a shower of more sparks. Burnt casing is left behind.
    "... Can we spare ten minutes? I'd like to run home for a second to stash some things that I don't want to have on me in the tower."

21. - Top - End - #21

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    (1d20+1)[16] Stuff and things.

Spoiler: Passive Perception 16
    Show
    Something is moving in the darkness.
    Last edited by JNAProductions; 2016-07-24 at 07:25 PM.

Show
    Show

Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Paula frowned at the tech guy as the battery exploded. "I think the tower doesn't like tech." But at least he seemed to have figured that out. When he asked if they would wait for him. Paula sighed, but didn't object. Truth be told, she did want to avoid being alone here.

23. - Top - End - #23

GreenSorcererElf

William pulls out his Security Baton and waits for the other William to come back from his house. he attempts to see more about the moving shadow.

Spoiler: scarey shadow thingy
    Show

(1d20+9)[15]

24. - Top - End - #24

Spoiler: Perception DC 15
    Show
    It's gone now.

Show
    Show

Show

25. - Top - End - #25

GreenSorcererElf

The Cole Train waits for his allies. Then, The Cole Train will enter the building.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

William Waugh heads back home as quickly, somewhat relieved that his parents are still out as he can't explain himself to them; they can't see the Tower and would probably think he was hallucinating... which to be fair, is a reasonable explanation and one William briefly flirted with. He unlocks the door and goes in.

He hurries back to his room, takes his laptop bag out of his waterproof duffel bag, and sets it on his bed. He quickly verifies that the laptop, its cable, the spare battery that didn't explode in the tower, his LED flashlight, his now useless camera, its two spare memory cards, and the encrypted thumb drive that contains the bare minimum notes on the new "programming language" he developed are in there. He leaves most of those things on his bed, and starts to put the thumb drive in the same part of his sheet he's hiding the more complete version of his notes in. He then hesitates, and decides to put it somewhere else. After struggling to think of a fairly safe place for ten seconds, he remembers that there are people waiting on him and decides to go with the underwear drawer even though it's a fairly obvious place.

This means that the only version of my notes I'll have on me are the hard copy... which I can't edit anything like as easily. After reflecting on that for a second, he grabs about half again as much paper as he'd had previously, two regular ballpoint pens, a pencil with an eraser, a handheld pencil sharpener, and a pen he'd picked up for a laugh that was advertised as being capable of working at zero gravity. He puts them in the waterproof duffel bag with the papers containing the notes on his spells. He then starts to head out, hesitates, and decides he could do with two more pencils (and erasers) before running back out to rejoin the group. (He makes sure to lock the door after him.)

"Sorry for the delay. All I can say is that those items seemed like good ideas at the time. Oh, speaking of which..."

He throws the space pen a short distance into the tower. Does it explode?
    Last edited by whiteflash; 2016-07-25 at 04:34 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27

William Waugh heads back home as quickly, somewhat relieved that his parents are still out as he can't explain himself to them; they can't see the Tower and would probably think he was hallucinating... which to be fair, is a reasonable explanation and one William briefly flirted with. He unlocks the door and goes in.

He hurries back to his room, takes his laptop bag out of his waterproof duffel bag, and sets it on his bed. He quickly verifies that the laptop, its cable, the spare battery that didn't explode in the tower, his LED flashlight, his now useless camera, its two spare memory cards, and the encrypted thumb drive that contains the bare minimum notes on the new "programming language" he developed are in there. He leaves most of those things on his bed, and starts to put the thumb drive in the same part of his sheet he's hiding the more complete version of his notes in. He then hesitates, and decides to put it somewhere else. After struggling to think of a fairly safe place for ten seconds, he remembers that there are people waiting on him and decides to go with the underwear drawer even though it's a fairly obvious place.

This means that the only version of my notes I'll have on me are the hard copy... which I can't edit anything like as easily. After reflecting on that for a second, he grabs about half again as much paper as he'd had previously, two regular ballpoint pens, a pencil with an eraser, a handheld pencil sharpener, and a pen he'd picked up for a laugh that was advertised as being capable of working at zero gravity. He puts them in the waterproof duffel bag with the papers containing the notes on his spells. He then starts to head out, hesitates, and decides he could do with two more pencils (and erasers) before running back out to rejoin the group. (He makes sure to lock the door after him.)

"Sorry for the delay. All I can say is that those items seemed like good ideas at the time. Oh, speaking of which..."

He throws the space pen a short distance into the tower. Does it explode?
    The pen does not explode, but does begin expelling ink at an alarming rate.

Show
    I had to google how those things work to figure out how it would malfunction.

Show
    Show

Show

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

The pen does not explode, but does begin expelling ink at an alarming rate.

Show
    I had to google how those things work to figure out how it would malfunction.
    William takes his other two pens out of the duffel bag, drops them on the ground, and hastily rushes to grab the space pen. Does it stop malfunctioning when taken out of the tower?

29. - Top - End - #29

William takes his other two pens out of the duffel bag, drops them on the ground, and hastily rushes to grab the space pen. Does it stop malfunctioning when taken out of the tower?
    It continues to spurt ink, though it';s quickly running out.

Show
    Show

Show

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

It continues to spurt ink, though it';s quickly running out.
    William sighs, casts it aside, and goes back to the other pens. He throws them into the tower. Do they react the same way?