New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 24 of 29 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920212223242526272829 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #691
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Adventures in Equestria IC.

It's a first-hand account of Icarus and his deeds, hand-written. It even includes a few things Godwyn has never heard of before, though, rather unhelpfully, not his ultimate fate.

It appears that, at one point, the lying liar who lies (Better known as Aurora), was good friends with him, Discord before his fall to Chaotic Evil, and you guessed it, Anacra.

Despite the book depicting rather ancient happenings, it was clearly written rather recently, likely by whoever owns this place, and has somewhat of a bias to it. Icarus is depicted rather well, while Discord is depicted with a bit of a bitter bent, and Anacra is depicted as somebody who the author feels guilty for.

It's possible the answer to why for that last thing is in another of these books. Of course, this may be a case of incredibly unreliable narrator, as again, this was written rather recently. Things can be forgotten, or made up over time, and it's entirely possible the person in question was never actually there to begin with, and this is their bad fanfiction.

"I'd advise avoiding the book about Aurora. It's not a particularly fun read."
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2014-10-22 at 03:49 AM.

2. - Top - End - #692
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Godwyn, naturally, turns around to see who's talking, dropping down into a defensive stance as his wings flare out to take flight if need be.
    Anemoia: Nostalgia for a time you've never known.

3. - Top - End - #693
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Godwyn, naturally, turns around to see who's talking, dropping down into a defensive stance as his wings flare out to take flight if need be.
    It's just Amaranth. Though, how she suddenly knows about a book in here, when she previously expressed no knowledge about this place's existence is anyone's guess.

Also, her mane and tail look more faded than they were before.

4. - Top - End - #694
    Troll in the Playground

"And what makes it not particularly fun to read?" Gearstride asked with a playful smile on her face. She trotted over to the lines of the books and plucked that particular book and began to thumb through it, well, the equivalent of that for an earth pony.

5. - Top - End - #695
    Troll in the Playground

Foxglove's been looking at the book about Anacra, since her name seems to keep popping up.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Moemon Leafgreen (Complete)
    Long Live the Queen (Complete)
    Harvest Moon 64 (Complete)

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)
    Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    I... wow. I feel like I'm in the presence of royalty. The LP Goddess herself has graced this thread with her presence. I just... what...

6. - Top - End - #696
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Benson
    Show
    It appears to be about a pony named Aurora. Who could have guessed.

Anyway, this is an entirely different Aurora than the one you guys have met, judging by the book.

THIS Aurora looks somewhat like a young Celestia. Pink mane, white coat, but her cutie mark is a stylized A, and she's pretty much Celestia's opposite in every way. Whereas Celestia is probably something resembling Lawful Good (Last I checked anyway), this mare is pretty much inarguably chaotic evil. She was, at one point, apparently public enemy number one, and the only reason she stopped being public enemy number one is she dropped off the radar enough everybody assumed she was dead.

Nobody is quite aware of when she fell off the deep end, or even if she was simply born evil, but the book lists several times that various people tried redeeming her, and it never stuck.

Additionally, the book mentions that the Aurora you met, despite being Chaotic Good, is also this mare's daughter, and utterly despises her. Given how literally everypony in Equestria seems to have a different name, it probably also says something about this mare that she named her own daughter after herself.

The book also mentions that Aurora is the most likely candidate for the guilty party of murdering Anacra's husband. It also states she's probably still around somewhere, though she was never exactly easy to find, and the one most suited for destroying her would be Anacra.

It's pretty obvious what the problem there is.

Spoiler: Deme
    Show
    The book about Anacra is basically a biography, the kind of which starts bad, gets better for a while, then goes straight downhill.

Anacra was born to a mother and father in a small town a long time ago, along with her twin sister, Aurora. Their mother skipped town shortly after that, and it was a very long time before they met each other again. The two sisters had a fairly rough childhood, living with their father who was apparently both a drunkard, and verbally abusive at the best of times. Then one day, he finally crossed the line, and actually hurt his daughter Aurora. This sent Anacra into such a blind rage, she completely blacked out, and when she came to, the house was burnt down, their father was gone, and Aurora was hugging her sister in tears.

Anacra was forced to be both father and mother to her little sister, raising her until they had both reached adulthood.

This was when their mother had come back the first time. It's unknown whether she knew they were her daughters at the time, but she tried to kill both of them. Obviously, she didn't succeed. Anacra and Aurora spared her, since they didn't want their own mother's blood on their hooves. They found the closest thing to a jail they could find, and locked her up, at which point they went adventuring. The country they lived in was filled with all sorts of abominations, but this was their home, and they wanted it to be safe.

Along the way, they were joined by a Griffin named Icarus. Through much effort, and a lot of time, they were able to purge the land of enough abominations that the average town no longer needed their own military for everyone to be safe. They could have towns just like Ponyville, without worry of things like Windigos or Parasprites attacking.

Unfortunately, one day, they were attacked by a particularly nasty dragon named Incendia. It took a lot of work to bring her down, and both sisters almost died in the process, but they eventually killed the evil dragon, and Anacra ascended. Everyone could clearly tell she was different after the battle. She was not only the first known alicorn, she was also the first mortal to ever become a goddess.

After this, there was peace in the land for a very long time, and Anacra was basically the undisputed Queen. She made Aurora her right-hand advisor, and gave the unicorn wings, making her her official archangel. Anacra largely used her free time to build golems, as tinkering with machines had always been her favorite hobby.

Despite being a goddess, there wasn't much difference between what she did as a queen, and a normal queen. She worked out conflicts between people, had to deal with trade and such, and even had to deal with rather annoying suitors. Eventually, she was just about to officially declare she wasn't willing to deal with them any more, when someone finally did something for her that actually impressed her, as cheesy as it was. He'd walked a thousand miles just to get the chance to ask her on a date. She gave him a chance, and eventually ended up marrying the pegasus, having a single daughter with him.

This is where things start to go downhill once again.

A few years after her daughter had been born, Anacra's husband was murdered. It was never quite clear who did it, though the sisters had their suspicions. Ever since that day, Anacra had been different, and not quite all there. Her friends were sure she'd get better with time, and she even agreed with them, but it would take a while.

And then her daughter was taken from her, and turned into Queen Chrysalis.

Anacra's shout of fury could be heard around the world that day, and her mind fractured completely. Aurora did her best to help her, but there was nothing she could do to restore her sister, leaving her with only one option. She used most of the power Anacra had granted her to create a prison for her sister, and hopefully make it so that it could never be opened back up. She wasn't hopeful though, so she gathered the Elements of Harmony to use as a focus to cast a spell to make it so nobody would ever remember her sister, and therefore never be able to break her out, save those who were actually present when it happened.

The book ends with a small bit of writing from Aurora, stating that she hopes her sister can forgive her for what she did, because to her dying day, she will never forgive herself.

The kingdom went on in peace, so despite the loss of Anacra, and complete disappearance of Aurora, their legacy at least lived on.

7. - Top - End - #697
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Godwyn raises an eyebrow at the mare, particularly her faded mane and tail. "Are you alright?" That's rather odd, and perhaps a cause for concern. "And how would you know it's not a fun read, if you've never been in here before?" Also odd. Very odd.

8. - Top - End - #698
    Titan in the Playground

"...I'm not-" She looks like she's about to say "Sure" but then goes stiff as a board, and her pupils shrink, somewhat like when a character in the show goes crazy. They then become stark black, with lots of zeros and ones flowing across them.

"Systems functional. Alien presence purified and purged. Restoring systems to default settings."

Her eyes then default back to her normal green color, and she gains the rest of her color back. She even seems...significantly more...well, for lack of a better descriptor, normal. The fog appears to be disappearing as well.

The one thing is, she definitely seems surprised that you're here.

"Umm...you're really not supposed to be in here. The mistress doesn't really like anyone in her private study...I can show you the rest of the castle if you'd like though." She offers to the group.

9. - Top - End - #699
    Troll in the Playground

Foxglove didn't particularly mind the mental shift -- she was pretty much a penny on the tracks of the train of thought. But she did notice it.

"...Oh, then I guess we shouldn't... Will she be back soon? ...Your mistress...?"
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

I... wow. I feel like I'm in the presence of royalty. The LP Goddess herself has graced this thread with her presence. I just... what...

10. - Top - End - #700
    Titan in the Playground

"I don't know...did I black out? I'm not supposed to do that..."

She looks around at the castle, and is utterly surprised by what she sees.

"Umm...well...given what the castle looked like last time I checked, and what it looks like now...I'm going to have to guess she's dead. What year is it even? And where are the ghosts? They're usually out and singing at this time of night..."

And then they hear...singing. Not something scary, more like a big family getting together to sing Christmas carols. The sort of song that makes one feel warm inside, just because of how much everybody who is singing it is enjoying it.

"Oh, there they are...I was worried for a moment."
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2014-10-28 at 10:47 PM.

11. - Top - End - #701
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Godwyn stares.

And stares.

And stares.

Before finally just gripping his head in his hands, his feathers ruffled up between his talons, as his expression becomes one of sheer overwhelmed confusion. "I don't even know what's going on anymore!" he wails in exasperation, looking quite disheveled and at his wits' end.

12. - Top - End - #702
    Troll in the Playground

"You ain't alone bro," Gearstride said to Godwyn and then glanced at ghostie mare with a raised brow. "So....what was that all about? The numbers...your eyes....and what is with that singing?"

13. - Top - End - #703
    Titan in the Playground

"Oh. That. Well, I'm a golem. I'm basically supposed to be a glorified tour guide for the castle. If you saw numbers in my eyes, that means I needed a hard-reset, which isn't a big deal. It does mean I probably haven't had maintenance for a long time, or that I got infected by something, but that's likewise something that shouldn't be a big deal. I was built to be self-sufficient in the event that nobody was around to work on me...I don't recall anything right now though...As for the singing, that's just the castle's ghosts. They come out every night, and just party. They don't harm anyone, and in fact, visitors are invited to join in." She looks around at the castle, and the fake timberwolves.

"...I did something really bad while I was blacked out, didn't I?" She asks, slightly afraid of the answer.

14. - Top - End - #704
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Godwyn removes his talons from his plumage, and coughs to ruffle his feathers and regain his composure. He takes a deep breath, holds it for a moment, and then sighs.

He then takes a step towards the golem, and gives her a kind, patient smile. "Nobody has been harmed, if that's your concern. You've merely been... protecting the castle, one could say. Fake timberwolves to scare off 'interlopers' and 'looters' and the like," he explains, careful not to startle or worry her. "Though, I am curious. Is there anything in your programming regarding the Goddess of Death?" he politely asks, tilting his head inquisitively.

15. - Top - End - #705
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Godwyn removes his talons from his plumage, and coughs to ruffle his feathers and regain his composure. He takes a deep breath, holds it for a moment, and then sighs.

He then takes a step towards the golem, and gives her a kind, patient smile. "Nobody has been harmed, if that's your concern. You've merely been... protecting the castle, one could say. Fake timberwolves to scare off 'interlopers' and 'looters' and the like," he explains, careful not to startle or worry her. "Though, I am curious. Is there anything in your programming regarding the Goddess of Death?" he politely asks, tilting his head inquisitively.
    "...Oh...I'm honestly not sure how I could have pulled something like that off...maybe some sort of contingency spell made in the event of...I just don't know. As for the goddess of death, I've got quite a variety of information on her, why do you ask? Is there something in particular you wish to know about her?"

16. - Top - End - #706
    Troll in the Playground

"Mmmm...I dunno...uh....maybe....how long has...no wait..uh.." Gearstride rubbed her head with her hoof. "Uhm...pffft.....uh.....does she uh...gosh I don't think I have any questions, at least none I can think of at the top of my head. Ya know, I never really have questions until later....something about being suddenly bombarded about if I have questions throw me off heheh." She awkwardly laughed.

17. - Top - End - #707
    Troll in the Playground

Foxglove mostly hung back and listened to this, examining the room from her spot by the book she'd been reading. When it came to the goddess of death, though, she had to ask...

"Has she been here?...You were saying that before."
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

18. - Top - End - #708
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    Foxglove mostly hung back and listened to this, examining the room from her spot by the book she'd been reading. When it came to the goddess of death, though, she had to ask...

"Has she been here?...You were saying that before."
    "It's likely, but it's one of those things that's hard to get a solid answer on. The goddess of death, from the data I've collected, can appear however she wishes, though she most often appears as a form comforting to the one or ones she's appearing to. There is a legend that the goddess of death visited this castle upon its creation and dedication to her, but I was crafted years after it was built, so I can't be sure." Amaranth says.

"I was saying she had been here before you say?...What else did I say?" She asks.

19. - Top - End - #709
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Godwyn smiles sheepishly. "You said quite a few things. In fact, you could say we... just finished helping you perform a ritual of consecration on the room behind you so as to sanctify the caste in the name of the Goddess of Death. Er, again, apparently..." he shrugs, not entirely sure how to tactfully explain all this to her.

20. - Top - End - #710
    Titan in the Playground

"...That...makes no sense...I can tell you aren't lying, but I'm not sure why I would ever do it. I don't worship the goddess of death. It would make no sense for me to. I'm a golem. I don't have a soul.My worship would mean nothing, as I have no way to get into the afterlife, and I'm not programmed to worship her. If something is beyond the bounds of my programming, I shouldn't be capable of doing it, since I basically, by definition, have no free will." She explains.

"...What likely happened is either some sort of contingency programming took over, or some sort of foreign entity did." She says.

21. - Top - End - #711
    Troll in the Playground

Foxglove did not really like all of this 'don't have a soul' talk. It just made her a little unhappy, thinking that if something happened to Amaranth, that would be the end of her -- even crazy, she wasn't a bad pony, after all. It just seemed a little unfair, and to be honest... She wasn't sure how much she understood of all this programming stuff, either.

"...Contingency programming?"
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

22. - Top - End - #712
    Titan in the Playground

"Basically, when I was created, I was given a specific, albeit very wide, set of direction from which I cannot deviate. There may be other sets of instructions lying dormant that I"m unaware of that tell me how to act within certain situations, or something else that was making me act oddly. It's hard to know without an expert on these matters which it was."

23. - Top - End - #713
    Troll in the Playground

"I like to entertain the romanticized idea that maybe...you will somehow find yourself with a soul......that would be cool...that would make a great story....like something...happened...some nebulous something and the spark of a soul made its way into you~ ooo," Gearstride could not help but grin as she got caught up in her own head.

24. - Top - End - #714
    Troll in the Playground

Foxglove listened to this idea and nodded in a dreamy, happy way -- she liked this idea. Still, finding a soul in this castle, nothing but the ghosts -- who had stopped until she rebooted, at that -- that seemed... Well. You couldn't leave, not when it was what you were, watching the castle. But when you weren't just "watching the castle," then how could you not leave a place descending into wreckage, all alone...? She lowered her head, looking at Amaranth through her lashes.

"...Was it like that? Like being and not-being? ...That sounds hard. It's better not to be anything."

She did not really say this to Amaranth -- after all, since she didn't remember what happened before, so she couldn't answer. Nevermind that her statement made, to someone not following along her own thoughts, very little sense.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

25. - Top - End - #715
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Benson View Post
    "I like to entertain the romanticized idea that maybe...you will somehow find yourself with a soul......that would be cool...that would make a great story....like something...happened...some nebulous something and the spark of a soul made its way into you~ ooo," Gearstride could not help but grin as she got caught up in her own head.
    "Heh. As nice as that sounds, I have no idea what it would take to get a soul, or if it's even possible for a golem to have a soul." Amaranth responds to Gearstride.

Foxglove listened to this idea and nodded in a dreamy, happy way -- she liked this idea. Still, finding a soul in this castle, nothing but the ghosts -- who had stopped until she rebooted, at that -- that seemed... Well. You couldn't leave, not when it was what you were, watching the castle. But when you weren't just "watching the castle," then how could you not leave a place descending into wreckage, all alone...? She lowered her head, looking at Amaranth through her lashes.

"...Was it like that? Like being and not-being? ...That sounds hard. It's better not to be anything."

She did not really say this to Amaranth -- after all, since she didn't remember what happened before, so she couldn't answer. Nevermind that her statement made, to someone not following along her own thoughts, very little sense.
    "Well...it's...I'm not really sure." Amaranth admits.

"It's like being deathly allergic to sunlight. You can't go outside at basically any time, because the primary life-giving light on the planet will kill you. You can't see the sun, the flowers, the blue sky, because you are never able to leave your house. You don't get to see the world for yourself, only pictures, and things specifically brought in to be shown to you. You can never interact with the world outside, and it can never interact with you. Worst, is the knowledge that this will never change." Explains someone else that wasn't in the room before.

26. - Top - End - #716
    Troll in the Playground

"Oh, I see... But that's not what it's like, either; I mean, I knew that part."

She shakes her head. That this was delivered by someone else didn't seem to bother her -- or maybe she didn't notice. She did not look at anyone, so maybe it was just a form of talking to herself.

"...That's not talking about the determination, the l-love, the memory like craving that drives salmon up waterfalls..." At last, she lifted her head a little, and said to Amaranth, "It must be sad, and kind of happy -- not remembering."
    Last edited by Deme; 2014-11-17 at 09:57 AM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

27. - Top - End - #717
    Titan in the Playground

"Oh, I see... But that's not what it's like, either; I mean, I knew that part."

She shakes her head. That this was delivered by someone else didn't seem to bother her -- or maybe she didn't notice. She did not look at anyone, so maybe it was just a form of talking to herself.

"...That's not talking about the determination, the l-love, the memory like craving that drives salmon up waterfalls..." At last, she lifted her head a little, and said to Amaranth, "It must be sad, and kind of happy -- not remembering."
    "For me, it's mostly sad." Amaranth says.

"I wouldn't know. I've never been able to forget even the tiniest detail. And I can honestly say, I prefer it that way." The other person says.
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2014-11-17 at 11:58 AM.

28. - Top - End - #718
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Godwyn tenses up, wings flaring slightly as his feathers ruffle. He narrows his eyes, rising up on his hind legs as his talons ball into fists. "It seems we have another guest?" he mutters, scanning the room cautiously to see who - or what - has joined them. He's rather on edge enough as it is, with all this confusion and magic and constructs and ghosts and other things he can't really keep up with or comprehend. He can't afford to lower his guard, but at the same time, being too brash or aggressive could result in... problems.

He'd rather not get bitchslapped into another wall...

29. - Top - End - #719
    Titan in the Playground

Well, it's...not who Godwyn was expecting. At all.

In fact.
    Spoiler: What Godwyn Sees
    Show
    It's a very attractive lady griffin, with a stylized 'O' mark on her head, that doesn't look quite natural. She gives a polite bow to the griffin Paladin.

"Yes, it appears you do." She responds.

Spoiler: What Foxglove Sees, assuming she ever turns around
    Show
    A crow, quite a bit larger than a standard crow, with a stylized 'o' mark on its forehead.

Spoiler: What Gearstride sees
    Show
    A damn fine looking, smiling unicorn mare. Dark blue coat, light blue mane and tail, and a stylized 'o' for her cutie mark. She gives Gearstride a wink.
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2014-11-18 at 12:08 AM.

30. - Top - End - #720
    Troll in the Playground

Gearstride found herself grinning as she adjusted her hat. "Why...hello there cutie pie...." Gearstride walked up to the unicorn.