New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Default The Lady Vanishes Game idea need to ask advice about

Planning a game where originally a research scientist who had left on leave is being sought by her employers only a couple of her colleagues know where she is and its become urgent enough they've been sent to find her and bring her back.

Sorry had set this out better on an earlier thread but wanted some opinions or rather pick holes in the game so far planned.

So I designed some characters intended for use with this in a game using the Cortex system and I suspect they'd rather go with their own characters since I had this more or less ready for at least a month or so and they went with the One Ring instead (a week advanced notice).

If they go the espionage route I was thinking that they've een brought into find the missing scientist who was thought still in the country (France) but can't be found after the agent assigned to her is found dead.

Her entire research team, project and materials were sent abroad in an illegal transfer where they reportedly crashed after reaching the East Coast of the United States.

Now previous discussions suggested she wouldn't have been allowed to go back to her home in Canada and I'm looking at either the PCs have to try and find out what happened to her since she left in mid-December until she was reported missing early this month (March 2013) or look into other options.

Can you help?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Default Re: The Lady Vanishes Game idea need to ask advice about

Maybe I should elaborate?

Was originally looking at setting up a Traveller game around Mars and humanity's future beyond the solar system but going over the background as I had previously thought up enough holes were poked that I decided I needed to run this as a modern day game and although I got as far as creating characters for it decided Cortex might work better.

That game involved a multinational research project into creating the next generation spacecraft intended for the first manned mission to Mars.

I set it that the program had been running since the early eighties but was finally shelved last September due mostly to the recession but there had been alot of political infighting between the scientists and officials involved on all sides.

Around 2006 an Antarctic Research Mission discovered a prodigy who was working aboard as a medic who was mentored by an ESA Astronomer after she stumbled onto a working form of cold fusion.

Due to the infighting she stayed at his facility in Toronto, Canada until early 2010 when the Canadian Government approached ESA for permisison to start building cold fusion power plants that she had successfully tested.

On their part the news of her research wasn't believed until the Canadian Govt forced them to realise she was legitimate and they had her transferred across to a Parisian Facility to secure her and her project.

However that didn't mean they were willing to work with her forcing her to find other ways to assist the main research such that when the program was shelved it took her a month to gain access to their shelved next generation drive and another month to get it to work!

Unfortunately they wasn't interested in the financially more expensive maneuver drive design but her cold fusion research was worth countless billions what they didn't know was that she not only had married the year before she had been transferred but also had born a child about two months prior and wasn't interested in being stuck away from her family.

The reason why this detail hadn't been revealed was due to her mentor messing up the files he passed onto his superiors it was only once he joined her in Paris did this fact become clear to them.

She left for home after the demonstration of the working drive and her cold fusion power plant in early December but a rival of her mentor used his access to her background files to pass onto his superiors who were alarmed to discover she had links to a wanted Serbian War Criminal and they issued a warrant for her extradition to the US for questioning on the matter.

She had already left by this point and attempts to locate her failed because ESA were unaware she was married, the extradition request arrived in early January and was fought whilst they attempted to locate her.

Whilst they were busy fighting the extradition the rival used the distraction to illegally transfer her research team, project and prototypes across to an American Facility however the plane ferrying them crashed shortly after reaching the East Coast of the US.

To facilitate his deception he had included the missing scientist leading the US and ESA to believe she had died along with her team with the other governments unaware of what had been going on.

They only learned she was still alive when her mentor was called in and he his assistant, a lawyer connected to one of the backer's firms and an agent was sent across to Canada to find her.

However its looking like my players want to create their own characters and I was wondering what you thought about this so far?
    Last edited by Hopeless; 2013-03-14 at 07:44 AM.