New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 51 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: General Exalted Discussion XII: One More and Get a Free Deathlord

Unrelated note, but there's an idea that's being fielded for a game at the moment, involving a small group of Devil Tigers busting out of Hell and doing their best to avoid Yozi retribution for their actions. Which might involve running to the Unconquered Sun for sanctuary. Or any number of other possibilities.

Mostly proposed because I'd love to see some potential RP involving the various power players in Exalted done well. And because the game is in need of a Storyteller, before I cave and sign myself up for running another game I almost certainly have no time to do properly. Blasted interesting ideas...
    "Not trusting me might be the smartest decision you made since getting off of your horse."

Avatar by Ifni, who is rightly awesome.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    So, I've been considering a terrible idea.

Imagine no Green Sun Princes. Instead, the yozi have been creating Akuma with a little more freedom, letting their own personalities twist their goals, and allowing this freedom to render them safe if the Incarnae order them retreived.

Would anyone be up for a game where you play Dragonblooded Akuma? Your urge would be a variation on 'Work towards the freedom and safety of (patron yozi) as best you can'

This is just checking if there'd be interest.
    Of course there is Lix.
    Youth and strenght alvays lose to age and treachery.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Titan in the Playground

So, I've been considering a terrible idea.

Imagine no Green Sun Princes. Instead, the yozi have been creating Akuma with a little more freedom, letting their own personalities twist their goals, and allowing this freedom to render them safe if the Incarnae order them retreived.

Would anyone be up for a game where you play Dragonblooded Akuma? Your urge would be a variation on 'Work towards the freedom and safety of (patron yozi) as best you can'

This is just checking if there'd be interest.
    Sounds like a nifty concept to me.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

4. - Top - End - #184
    Titan in the Playground

Could ageing/being old be considered a Crippling effect? Maybe Sickness?

Could a stunt allow "curing" it with a Charm?
    Last edited by Kobold-Bard; 2012-10-27 at 04:53 PM.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Titan in the Playground

Aging and being old are intrinsic parts of a being, not a sickness or crippling effect. You could use mutations to extend someones life, or use certain life extending drugs, but you can't just stunt a medicine roll to do it.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

6. - Top - End - #186
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    Could ageing/being old be considered a Crippling effect? Maybe Sickness?

Could a stunt allow "curing" it with a Charm?
    Nope, but Plague did some solar charms a while ago that basically made you ageless.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: 7.

Factors: 2.

Wealth: 5

Magic: 4

Espionage: 4

Military: 2.

Faith: 6.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Titan in the Playground

Well, I think I've just made the freakiest character I've yet made for exalted. He's a blind smelly fish person who navigates by echolocation and who infects people with contagious hallucinations by physical contact, as well as fleshwarping and summoning hideous mutants and demons. And he hangs out in swamps and is always hungry... always the hunger...
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

8. - Top - End - #188

GnomePirate

Seems decent, Golentan. Real family guy person.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    Well, I think I've just made the freakiest character I've yet made for exalted. He's a blind smelly fish person who navigates by echolocation and who infects people with contagious hallucinations by physical contact, as well as fleshwarping and summoning hideous mutants and demons. And he hangs out in swamps and is always hungry... always the hunger...
    So . . . an Infernal with Kimberry favored?

10. - Top - End - #190
    Titan in the Playground

Seems like a good candidate for that one swamp based primordial. Starts with a m.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    Satomi by Elagune

11. - Top - End - #191
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tavar View Post
    Seems like a good candidate for that one swamp based primordial. Starts with a m.
    Metagaos? (Also known as "That Primordial Whose Jouten Is Totally Audrey")

12. - Top - End - #192
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kyeudo View Post
    So . . . an Infernal with Kimberry favored?
    Kimberian Dragonblooded Akuma.
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #193

GnomePirate

Achem, I bet Meschlum could provide us with truth on that matter as well.

14. - Top - End - #194

Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    Kimberian Dragonblooded Akuma.
    For Lix's potential game? Has that started recruiting?
    "Not trusting me might be the smartest decision you made since getting off of your horse."

15. - Top - End - #195
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maugan Ra View Post
    No it certainly has not. I'm not even sure I'm going to run it. (Although the feedback is pleasing, so I'm tempted.)
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maugan Ra View Post
    Yes, should she allow it if she does decide to run it. Though he's family unfriendly enough I'm working on an alternate character.
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #197
    Titan in the Playground

Bluh... I wish I had the Dragon-Blooded book. There's no way I'm getting it now, though, not with it being one of 3e's first books and 2e's badly balanced books.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2012-10-28 at 06:08 PM.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

18. - Top - End - #198

Yeah, the DB book is problematic; I like it, but nearly every Charm ended up receiving errata, and for good reason.
    It is inevitable, of course, that persons of epicurean refinement will in the course of eternity engage in dealings with those of... unsavory character. Record well any transactions made, and repay all favors promptly.. (Thanks to Gnomish Wanderer for the Toreador avatar! )

Wanna see what all this Exalted stuff is about? Here's a primer!

19. - Top - End - #199
    Titan in the Playground

No it certainly has not. I'm not even sure I'm going to run it. (Although the feedback is pleasing, so I'm tempted.)
    You totally should, because it's an awesome idea and makes you an awesome person.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

20. - Top - End - #200

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    You totally should, because it's an awesome idea and makes you an awesome person.
    Pretty much this.

And yeah, I do like the Dragon Blooded book and charms... but there were a lot of erratas made to it.

Terrestrial Ability Reinforcement is still an awesome charm, though, especially when used on other members of a sworn brotherhood.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
    Yeah, the DB book is problematic; I like it, but nearly every Charm ended up receiving errata, and for good reason.
    Well, it was written really early on in the cycle. A lot of the later books were just better written from a mechanical point of view.
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #202
    Troll in the Playground

This raise an interesting question for 3E though. As Solars are once again the system baseline (since they are in core so everything will inevitably be compared to them) and DB are again early in the cycle: Will the same problems arise as with 2E?

Power creep and system baseline meant Solars were the focus of most of the errata cycles. As mechanics changed or improved DB were left behind. Are we going to see Solars getting stealth errata in other people books every time someone has a cool idea? Are we going to see Solars getting propped up when the later books come out and the writing has gotten better and the mechanics tighter?

No doubt 3E will start better than 2E is now. The question is will it suffer the same kinds of problems?
    Many, many thanks to azuyomi244 for the avatar.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ogre in the Playground

The problem with DBs wasn't that they were written early. It's that they were written before the core rules were finalized. This is why without errata many of their Charms don't make sense or just don't do anything.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sanguine View Post
    The problem with DBs wasn't that they were written early. It's that they were written before the core rules were finalized. This is why without errata many of their Charms don't make sense or just don't do anything.
    The Solar errata bloat is still a concern though.
    Many, many thanks to azuyomi244 for the avatar.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Exthalion View Post
    Power creep and system baseline meant Solars were the focus of most of the errata cycles. As mechanics changed or improved DB were left behind. Are we going to see Solars getting stealth errata in other people books every time someone has a cool idea? Are we going to see Solars getting propped up when the later books come out and the writing has gotten better and the mechanics tighter?
    You know what charm cements Solar Power over Dragonblooded? I(A)M, which is in the core book. Well, it was that and the Perfects, which were also in the core book.

There actually wasn't much power creep in Exalted, due to the design of the system.
    Satomi by Elagune

26. - Top - End - #206
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'm sort of interested in seeing a trend here: which is your preferred order of splats? Just interest-wise; not actually playing as them in 2e. Let's not chat about the topic until three or four people have already posted. Please and thank you.

01) Infernals
    02) Dragonblooded
    03) Alchemicals
    04) Abyssals
    05) Dragon-Kings
    06) Spirits
    07) Lintha
    08) Raksha
    09) Sidereals
    10) Lunars
    11) Tyrant Lizards
    12) Mortals
    13) Godbloods (non-Lintha)
    14) Jadeborn
    15) Solars

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm going to separate the list into groups to show when some are really close together.

01)Alchemicals
    02)Dragon-Blooded
    03)Sidereals
    04)Infernals

05)God-Bloods
    06)Spirits

07)Solars

08)Raksha
    09)Abyssals
    10)Dragon Kings

11)Lunars
    12)Jadeborn

13)Mortals

That seems about right.

28. - Top - End - #208

Quote Originally Posted by Gensh View Post
    Let's not chat about the topic until three or four people have already posted.
    (grumble, grumble)

This is as said stuff currently stands.
    01) Solars
    02) Infernals (non-DT)
    03) Raksha (sans Shaping Combat)
    Spoiler
    Show
    These three are both awesome and amazingly versatile. I scoff at anyone who calls Solars boring. Especially you. Scoff, scoff. Having run Infernals, I know how awesome they are. Raksha are one of the most versatile toolboxes out there, of course.
    04) Abyssals
    05) Dragon-Blooded
    06) Sidereals
    07) Alchemicals
    Spoiler
    Show
    These four are both reasonably cool, but can be kinda niche cases sometimes. Sidereals, for instance, can make fun antagonists or companions for the circle, and their Charms are all kinds of fun, but it's a worrisome prospect to introduce them without dragging the game into Yu-Shan. Likewise with Abyssals and Alchemicals. I like Creation. It's an interesting place. Yes, the other places are there, and they're interesting, but for the most part, I see little reason to jettison a game there.

Also, the whole "become a city at elder Essence" bit confuses me, or at least, the bit where people keep saying they want to play such.
    08) Demons
    09) Jadeborn
    10) Dragon Kings
    Spoiler
    Show
    These aren't things I want to play, but that I find fun to read over from time to time.

11) Infernals (DT)
    Spoiler
    Show
    The forums are what did it in for me, for Devil-Tigers. Like other elder Essence stuff, it's a very interesting prospect, but once this stuff was released, it's like everyone's in a race to get there.
    12) God-Blooded
    13) Elementals
    14) Gods (living in Creation)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Elementals seem fun, but I'd like to see more done with them. Gods living in Creation are in the same boat.
    15) Mortals
    16) Gods (living in Yu-Shan)
    17) Lunars
    Spoiler
    Show
    Mortals would be cool, had they not been in Scroll of Heroes. Lunars and Yu-Shan's gods both seem like they could have been fun, had the stuff for them not been so ****dark.
    18) Least god of a small stone
    19) Raksha (using Shaping Combat)
    20) Ghosts
    21) Lintha
    22) Haltans
    Spoiler
    Show
    These are things that I absolutely don't want to play or even use; heck, it's probably going to take outright miraculous writing to get me to want to play these in 3e.
    Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 2012-10-29 at 07:07 PM.
    It is inevitable, of course, that persons of epicurean refinement will in the course of eternity engage in dealings with those of... unsavory character. Record well any transactions made, and repay all favors promptly.. (Thanks to Gnomish Wanderer for the Toreador avatar! )

Wanna see what all this Exalted stuff is about? Here's a primer!

29. - Top - End - #209
    Titan in the Playground

In order of preference and subdivided by category -

Actually care about:
    01) Lunars
    02) Infernals
    03) Dragon-Kings
    04) Dragonblooded
    05) Sidereals
    06) Godbloods (non-Lintha)
    07) Spirits

Indifferent/little interest in:
    08) Mortals
    09) Solars
    10) Alchemicals
    11) Abyssals

Never thought about it:
    12) Tyrant Lizards
    13) Lintha [no idea what these are]
    14) Jadeborn

Despise beyond belief:
    15) Raksha
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Titan in the Playground

Strong Favorites:

1) Alchemicals
    2) Terrestrials
    3) Infernals/Sidereals (they're just about tied after errata)

Like:
    5) Lunars

Dislike Mildly:
    6) Spirits/Godblooded
    7) Solars
    8) Mortals of all stripes

Strong Distaste:
    9) Abyssals
    10) Raksha

Others (Ghosts, Jadeborn, Dragon Kings, Etc.) are unlisted due to insufficient information. Note that this is a commentary on what I like to play, not what I like as a setting piece.
    Spoiler
    Show