New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: General Exalted Discussion XII: One More and Get a Free Deathlord

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    How much soak do objects made of magical materials have? I know they're hard to damage, but is that because they have really high soak or because they ignore damage?
    There are various rules on this subject, all of which are entirely contradictory. Most things that have magical materials threaded through them, like orichalcum doors or first age warships, generally have soak and hardness in the 30-50 range. Most things that are smaller and made of folding magical materials, like basic artifacts, are usually portrayed as utterly indestructible unless people use powers that specifically break artifacts, in which case those powers don't generally do levels of damage so it doesn't matter.

Oedanol's Codex will give you a set of rules whereby artifacts are just normal objects with a soak, hardness, and health level bonus equal to double their artifact rating, but since (a) that's stupidly low and (b) ordinary objects don't have listed soak, hardness, or health anywhere, it's not particularly helpful. It also says you can break them with a feat of strength of (object + Artifact level), which would mean that, as a dramatic action, breaking a daiklave over your knee would require Strength + Athletics 6.

I think we can all agree that is a bad rule.
    If you like my thoughts, you'll love my writing. Visit me at www.mishahandman.com.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Friv View Post
    There are various rules on this subject, all of which are entirely contradictory. Most things that have magical materials threaded through them, like orichalcum doors or first age warships, generally have soak and hardness in the 30-50 range. Most things that are smaller and made of folding magical materials, like basic artifacts, are usually portrayed as utterly indestructible unless people use powers that specifically break artifacts, in which case those powers don't generally do levels of damage so it doesn't matter.

Oedanol's Codex will give you a set of rules whereby artifacts are just normal objects with a soak, hardness, and health level bonus equal to double their artifact rating, but since (a) that's stupidly low and (b) ordinary objects don't have listed soak, hardness, or health anywhere, it's not particularly helpful. It also says you can break them with a feat of strength of (object + Artifact level), which would mean that, as a dramatic action, breaking a daiklave over your knee would require Strength + Athletics 6.

I think we can all agree that is a bad rule.
    There's also CoCD: Autochthonia, which states that when a metropolis of Orichlacum closed her gates, the Minister of Wrath could not get through.

But yeah, the Codex's rule is a really bad one, considering Heaven's Reach states that Orichalcum can be unharmed by blows that crush planets.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

3. - Top - End - #363
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    There's also CoCD: Autochthonia, which states that when a metropolis of Orichlacum closed her gates, the Minister of Wrath could not get through.

But yeah, the Codex's rule is a really bad one, considering Heaven's Reach states that Orichalcum can be unharmed by blows that crush planets.
    However, the magical materials are not entirely indestructable. There is a necromancy spell which hardens soulsteel into true invincibility on one side of a flat plate and the MM can be worked in order to produce artifacts in the first place.
    Many, many thanks to azuyomi244 for the avatar.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Titan in the Playground

So a Quadriplegic GSP can start as a Devil Tiger, huh?

Interesting.....
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

5. - Top - End - #365
    Ettin in the Playground

... I now want to know what their Excellencies would be directed towards.

Maybe... The Neverborn-That-Lived?
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

6. - Top - End - #366
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    So a Quadriplegic GSP can start as a Devil Tiger, huh?

Interesting.....
    I don't think you can, at least not with standard character creation rules.

Technically, yeah, you could take ten points of Flaws and buy Essence up to 6 with all your bonus points, but you still have to meet the prerequisites for Triumphant Howl of the Devil-Tiger: any Yozi Excellency, any Sorcerous Initiation, and any Shintai Charm. (The prerequisites have to come from at least two different Yozis, but that's simple enough.) At Essence 6, that Excellency will cost you 6 Charm slots. You also have to spend one on Sorcerous Initiation of (Yozi), plus one on Ascendancy Mantle of (Yozi) to get your Essence 6. The easiest Shintai to get is Devil-Tyrant Avatar Shintai, which has only 2 prerequisite Charms. Total of... 11 Charms.

But you only get 10, and you spent all of your bonus points raising Essence.

Of course, it is a reasonably common houserule in these parts to give a certain amount of free Excellencies, but banning flaws is common too.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

7. - Top - End - #367
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    I don't think you can, at least not with standard character creation rules.

Yeah, I realised that I miscounted.

Crap
    Last edited by Kobold-Bard; 2012-11-10 at 07:28 AM.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew

8. - Top - End - #368
    Dwarf in the Playground

So, you never see any of Sacheverell's souls running around in any of the published material, which is odd, because you see Oramus's souls and he's equally contained.

One possible explanation is that he knows exactly what he's doing: After all, he can see all things in the present perfectly with no regards to which world they're in or status in relation to fate, so his lesser selves know precisely where to be and how to move around if they wish to remain perpetually unseen.

And perhaps, just once in a while when Lucien's attention wavers for a moment, a great eye cracks open by mere millimeters to make a single unerring proclamation...

9. - Top - End - #369
    Titan in the Playground

On starting devil tigers: You can give yourself a massive boost by buying up all your virtues to 5 with bonus points and then grabbing Hollow Heart Transcendence. That gives you over a hundred XP.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

10. - Top - End - #370
    Titan in the Playground

Isn't there a rule saying you can't start with higher than E4? Or was that missed out in Infernals?
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

11. - Top - End - #371
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    Isn't there a rule saying you can't start with higher than E4? Or was that missed out in Infernals?
    Solars can start with 5, can't they?
    Last edited by Kobold-Bard; 2012-11-10 at 01:38 PM.

12. - Top - End - #372
    Titan in the Playground

The difference would be that Sach is not contained. He is surpressed, prevented from ever forming himself or his component souls.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

13. - Top - End - #373
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    On starting devil tigers: You can give yourself a massive boost by buying up all your virtues to 5 with bonus points and then grabbing Hollow Heart Transcendence. That gives you over a hundred XP.
    That'd have a rather sharp impact on the legend you inscribe upon the world: You were born with near-Unconquered Sun levels of virtue, then plagued by your own psychology chose to take refuge in enlightened depravity.

You're basically stuck being either the Scootaloo to ED's Rainbow Dash or swapping it out when you start developing your own charms for a different drop-all-virtue charm that puts a new spin on it.

14. - Top - End - #374
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by omegalith View Post
    That'd have a rather sharp impact on the legend you inscribe upon the world: You were born with near-Unconquered Sun levels of virtue, then plagued by your own psychology chose to take refuge in enlightened depravity.

You're basically stuck being either the Scootaloo to ED's Rainbow Dash or swapping it out when you start developing your own charms for a different drop-all-virtue charm that puts a new spin on it.
    Well, I know I've considered making a DT of Things Should Not Work That Way, aka Repurposing Basic Definitions And Concepts. This entry would actually work really well for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

15. - Top - End - #375
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Well, I know I've considered making a DT of Things Should Not Work That Way, aka Repurposing Basic Definitions And Concepts. This entry would actually work really well for that.
    Might also work for a clinical, underemotional AI type of personality. Dropping virtue along with most other emotion not because you're a self-centered coward, but because they're distractions from clarity of thought.

Radiant Skynet Shintai.

Dreams of Thundering Livestock.

Can't Let You Do That Prana.

Running With Blades Method.

Cake And Lies Equivalency.

16. - Top - End - #376
    Titan in the Playground

Might also work for a clinical, underemotional AI type of personality. Dropping virtue along with most other emotion not because you're a self-centered coward, but because they're distractions from clarity of thought.
    Having Virtues at 1 is not a great way to represent that; sure, low Compassion might cut down on distraction, but low Conviction is unhelpful, while low Temperance and Valor are actively unhelpful if you're aiming for clarity of thought. You'd be better off going with Cosmic Transcendence of Virtue, or (if you're a Devil-Tiger) developing a Charm that replaces your inefficient human Virtues with automaton Virtues.

In fact, Wonders of the Lost Age presents a couple different possibilities there - simple automata always fail Compassion, always succeed on Temperance, and fail or succeed on Conviction depending on whether it supports their purpose (Motivation). For more complex (but still inhuman) AIs, they suggest an alternate set of Virtues: Reception, Transmission, Stability and Power.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

17. - Top - End - #377
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    Having Virtues at 1 is not a great way to represent that; sure, low Compassion might cut down on distraction, but low Conviction is unhelpful, while low Temperance and Valor are actively unhelpful if you're aiming for clarity of thought. You'd be better off going with Cosmic Transcendence of Virtue, or (if you're a Devil-Tiger) developing a Charm that replaces your inefficient human Virtues with automaton Virtues.
    Well, you could always have the Charm that tears away Virtue, then the Charm with that as a prerequisite that builds up a quasi-automaton replacement that most closely matches your ideas of efficient thought if necessary. However:

I'd disagree with Low Valor not helping though: Bravery and pride are fairly inefficient concepts. Paranoid survivalism isn't necessarily craven cowardice. Low Conviction can also help you re-assess your goals and adapt more readily. With characters like Skynet, Hal 9000, GLaDOS, SHODAN and so forth as your model, "Efficiency" is a slightly warped and flawed concept that the character is only arguably adhering to. And they're not as unemotional as they may claim to be.

18. - Top - End - #378
    Titan in the Playground

Radiant Skynet Shintai.

Umm... I got all of those except Running with Blades Method.
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

19. - Top - End - #379
    Dwarf in the Playground

Umm... I got all of those except Running with Blades Method.
    Blade Runner. Because it's the movie adaption of "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?", and thus works as a name for a charm building on the previous.

...A bit more obtuse than the others, I freely admit.

20. - Top - End - #380
    Titan in the Playground

Blade Runner. Because it's the movie adaption of "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?", and thus works as a name for a charm building on the previous.

*facepalm*

I got the bladerunner one but not the novel reference.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

21. - Top - End - #381
    Dwarf in the Playground

Honestly, the only one of those where I've actually defined what the Charm does in my head rather than just the name is Radiant Skynet Shintai, which literally turns you into a glowing grid in the sky.

...Because once you've defined your Inner World and main Shintai (And Jouten, if someone learns your Cosmic Principle...) as a Grid, you can start with the Tron references.

And you have to have metallic skeleton First Circles who can wear the skin of their victims and a nuke charm, of course. What's Skynet without nukes and armies of robot infiltrators who have trouble disguising their thick Austrian accents?

22. - Top - End - #382
    Titan in the Playground

Really? I didn't know there was a thing called "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?". I just assumed it was a reference to Marvin's song in HHGTTG.
    My Homebrew

23. - Top - End - #383
    Troll in the Playground

Brain the Size of the Universe Sorrow

Want to Kill Your Parents Practice

Haunting the Shell

Unanticipated Progeny as Mate Evolution

Copies Without Original Complex
    Last edited by Exthalion; 2012-11-10 at 07:06 PM.

24. - Top - End - #384
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Exthalion View Post
    I'm pretty sure Kill Your Family Remonstration is a development of Broadcast Announcement Prana.

25. - Top - End - #385
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Exthalion View Post
    Brain the Size of the Universe Sorrow

Haunting the Shell

Unanticipated Progeny as Mate Evolution

Copies Without Original Complex
    And of those I only got the first...
    My Homebrew

26. - Top - End - #386
    Troll in the Playground

Haunting the Shell = Ghost in the Shell
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: 7.

Factors: 2.

Wealth: 5

Magic: 4

Espionage: 4

Military: 2.

Faith: 6.

27. - Top - End - #387
    Troll in the Playground

And of those I only got the first...
    Quote Originally Posted by Turalisj View Post
    Haunting the Shell = Ghost in the Shell
    Brain the Size of the Universe Sorrow: Hitchhikers Guide to the Universe

Want to Kill Your Parents Practice: Prometheus

Haunting the Shell: Ghost in the Shell

Unanticipated Progeny as Mate Evolution: Ghost in the Shell, manga and original movie with the Puppeteer.

Copies Without Original Complex: Stand Alone Complex

28. - Top - End - #388
    Titan in the Playground

Never mind that, I just realized I got it mixed up with Cosmic Transcendence of (Virtue).
    My Homebrew

29. - Top - End - #389
    Titan in the Playground

Radiant Skynet Shintai.

I LIKE you. xD

Fully Functional Assurance.
    :3
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

30. - Top - End - #390
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    I LIKE you. xD

Fully Functional Assurance.
    :3
    Data in first Contact?