New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 51 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627282930313247 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: General Exalted Discussion XII: One More and Get a Free Deathlord

Quote Originally Posted by Dragnar View Post
    (And as for the math: Yes, those sets are the same. The set of rational numbers is however larger than the set of integers. Just as an example.)
    /off-topic math pedantry

Hmm? The rationals are countable, as are the integers. Did you mean real numbers?

/end off-topic math pedantry

EDIT: ... oh dear, that's going to be the first thing everyone sees until we start a new page? That was not intended.

All right, then, on an actual Exalted question... I have an Eclipse who is fortunate enough to be teamed up with a Dragon-Blood, Infernal, Lunar, Sidereal and Nocturnal. In the event that this game actually runs long enough for her to play with charmshare, and that her allies are interested in teaching, does anyone have particular recommendations for Charms that are (a) worth 16 XP on their own, and (b) don't lose value, or ideally get even better, when multiple PCs have them?

(For example, Efficient Secretary Technique doesn't qualify on the latter front, I think; if one person in the group already has googlespider, then a second person learning it doesn't add that much. But Wind-Carried Words Technique does qualify, because fast two-way communication is considerably more useful than one-way, especially when you split the party as much as we have so far.)
    Last edited by Ifni; 2012-12-06 at 02:04 AM.
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    I must not argue on the Internet.
    Internet argument is the mind-killer.
    It is the little death that brings total aggravation.
    I will face my annoyance.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    When it has gone past I will turn my inner eye to see its path.
    Where the irritation has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

2. - Top - End - #632
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ifni View Post
    /off-topic math pedantry

Hmm? The rationals are countable, as are the integers. Did you mean real numbers?

Part of me with that end tag wasn't there.
    Many, many thanks to azuyomi244 for the avatar.

3. - Top - End - #633
    Firbolg in the Playground

Ifni - Well, Elemental Bolt attack is pretty useful. Gives you a decent means of attacking at range, and it can work cooperatively with Zhou to make increased damage. Plus it just looks cool.

That said, I'm not sure it's work 16xp.
    "Not trusting me might be the smartest decision you made since getting off of your horse."

Avatar by Ifni, who is rightly awesome.

4. - Top - End - #634
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ifni View Post
    /off-topic math pedantry

Ack, yes, you're right. Mixed up there, whoops.

5. - Top - End - #635

GnomePirate

Achem, hunting for few Players for a game on Rpol. That happens to be in Jungle initially. Hitchcock style.

PM me.
    Last edited by Rikandur Azebol; 2012-12-09 at 04:57 PM.
    Youth and strenght alvays lose to age and treachery.

6. - Top - End - #636
    Bugbear in the Playground

Just wrote up a hearthstone in a moment of inspiration that straight up woke me up while trying to get to sleep. If anyone would like to take a look over it, please tell me anything wrong with it: I think the "three levels of aggrivated damage" might be on the strong side, but I'd like to get some new points of view here. I'm looking to improve my skill as a homebrewer, so any critique is welcome. Anyway, thanks in advance.

Spoiler
    Show
    Solar Hearthstone: Stone of Heliacal Castigation (Manse ●●●)

This waxy orange, slightly translucent cabochon is always seemingly pleasantly warm to the touch, from the perspective of whomever is in contact with the stone, even if two or more people are in contact with it at once, each of them finds the stone to be how they define pleasant warmth. To a creature of darkness, the stone seems to burn with the infinite heat of the Most High, causing no harm but unbearable to touch regardless of immunity to heat or tolerance to pain nonetheless. As a quirk of the geomancy required to produce such a stone, creatures of darkness cannot bear the hearthstone through any means; attempts to become the bearer simply fail with no "punishment" beyond wasting one's time in the attempt, even having the bearer install the stone into an artifact for the being will find that the stone falls to the ground as soon as the object is in the hands of the creature of darkness even if such a thing was utterly impossible.

The stone grants its owner an ability similar to the anima flux of the Terrestrial Exalted, dealing three levels of aggravated damage unsoakable by the natural soak and unpreventable by the natural hardness of the creature of darkness as a Holy effect at every interval that the current level that the anima banner of its bearer would indicate. This effect does not supersede the normal anima flux of one of the Chosen of the Dragons: both effects work independently of one another. Beings that lack an anima banner such as Dragon Kings, elementals, and enlightened mortals can wreath themselves in a halo of sunfire to gain this effect by paying three motes per level of the effect they wish to bring the effect to (the first being equivalent to the anima flux of a terrestrial's anima at the 8-10 mote level of display, and so on).

7. - Top - End - #637

GnomePirate

Holy anima flux ? Nice one, but I would rate it as 4 dot HS.

8. - Top - End - #638

Yeaaah, that's ridiculously powerful. At the final level of flare, a terrestrial banner deals 1 die of lethal damage every tick. This is 6 times more damage, and aggravated to boot. Unless your enemy has somehow managed to get unarmored agg soak? That stone literally will kill them within 1-2 actions no matter what. It's like getting hit with Green Sun Nimbus Flare every single tick. For free.

Just making it 1 die of agg every damage interval is more than enough to be worth a 3 dot stone.

9. - Top - End - #639

Quote Originally Posted by Dragnar View Post
    Yeaaah, that's ridiculously powerful. At the final level of flare, a terrestrial banner deals 1 die of lethal damage every tick. This is 6 times more damage, and aggravated to boot. Unless your enemy has somehow managed to get unarmored agg soak? That stone literally will kill them within 1-2 actions no matter what. It's like getting hit with Green Sun Nimbus Flare every single tick. For free.

Just making it 1 die of agg every damage interval is more than enough to be worth a 3 dot stone.
    Yes, but you read the soak part wrong. It can't be soaked or bounce off your natural stuff. Armor works fine.
    Still should be no more than 1/interval tho.

10. - Top - End - #640

If I recall correctly, the damage is already unsoakable by armor from the anima flux... But I might be wrong there, and you're right that I read it wrong either way. Whoops!

11. - Top - End - #641
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Andreaz View Post
    Yes, but you read the soak part wrong. It can't be soaked or bounce off your natural stuff. Armor works fine.
    Still should be no more than 1/interval tho.
    Like Dragnar, I can't recall if soak/hardness from armor prevents Terrestrial anima flux - but even if so, that wouldn't be a good design for this hearthstone. Targets with armor would shrug it off effortlessly, while targets without armor die in seconds once the anima reaches 16+ motes. If armor doesn't work, then there's no defense. Bad.

Like everyone else, I'd recommend reducing it to a single die of aggravated damage per interval. It's better than Terrestrial anima flux against creatures of darkness, but ineffective against everyone else (this is a benefit as well as a drawback, since you don't risk hurting allies). Compare to the Gem of White Heat, a 3-dot hearthstone in Oadenol's Codex that basically gives you a Fire Aspect's anima (but requires Essence to fuel it).
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

12. - Top - End - #642

That rule has never really been clarified, and I've seen it done either way.
    But do notice that in any case it's all about artifact armor, as normal armor doesn't give hardness and thus would never avoid the flux's ping.

13. - Top - End - #643
    Dwarf in the Playground

If you're going to do anything like this, your best starting point is probably house ruling anima flux to behave like an environmental hazard with intervals of one action, because tick-by-tick tracking is pointlessly painful.
    what I am interested in is far more complex and nuanced than something you can define in so few words.

ಠ__ಠ

14. - Top - End - #644

Quote Originally Posted by Plague of Hats View Post
    If you're going to do anything like this, your best starting point is probably house ruling anima flux to behave like an environmental hazard with intervals of one action, because tick-by-tick tracking is pointlessly painful.
    Giving it actual potency would be good too. So you're at 1/minute, 1/action, [essence]/action.
    Or something.

15. - Top - End - #645

I think I have almost enough feedback to write a revision, but I do have another question:

Would one level of aggravated damage still be too high?

Some responses:
    Like Dragnar, I can't recall if soak/hardness from armor prevents Terrestrial anima flux - but even if so, that wouldn't be a good design for this hearthstone. Targets with armor would shrug it off effortlessly, while targets without armor die in seconds once the anima reaches 16+ motes. If armor doesn't work, then there's no defense. Bad.
    I was working under the assumption that the soak and hardness from artifact armor would negate terrestrial anima flux, and thus this. If it doesn't then I need to do a more extensive rewrite than I was planning.

My main mechanical goal here was to have the effect be extremely powerful against extras and low-level mooks like zombies, first-circle demons, war ghosts, et cetera, but make it very easy for even high-level mooks to just shrug off without too much effort. The second, now that I think about it, was more or less to create a first-order optimal strategy for dealing with large numbers of weak CoD, while also having it be an interesting tool in the more experienced player's kit.

Compare to the Gem of White Heat, a 3-dot hearthstone in Oadenol's Codex that basically gives you a Fire Aspect's anima (but requires Essence to fuel it).
    I forgot that stone even existed; but I'll make sure to do more thorough research in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Plague of Hats View Post
    I will keep that in mind when my games deal with terrestrials, thank you. Although, all of my games thus far have been Play-by-post, so tick-by-tick tracking isn't terribly difficult in the environment I'm used to playing in.
    Last edited by Justyn; 2012-12-11 at 03:52 PM.

16. - Top - End - #646

So, do we actually have a confirmed release date for 3rd edition? I can't seem to find one, and shall be somewhat annoyed if I'm just overlooking a blindingly obvious source...
    "Not trusting me might be the smartest decision you made since getting off of your horse."

17. - Top - End - #647

Quote Originally Posted by Maugan Ra View Post
    So, do we actually have a confirmed release date for 3rd edition? I can't seem to find one, and shall be somewhat annoyed if I'm just overlooking a blindingly obvious source...
    No release date given. Latest vague notion is "late February".

18. - Top - End - #648

Quote Originally Posted by Maugan Ra View Post
    They're trying to get it done well the first time so that there won't have to be endless supplies of errata this time 'round. The release date they're give out is more or less "when it's done".

19. - Top - End - #649
    Titan in the Playground

Anyone have advice on what to include as special units in an Autochthonian militia? I can include up to 16 units. For reference, this is a force of about five thousand populat conscripted from trantec for the purpose of an invasion of Yu-Shan alongside a joint eight nations task force of equivalent units. They've been outfitted with alchemical weapons and thaumaturgical wards to allow them to carry out their mission (giving them might 2 when combined with charms from their general) and have magically perfect drill and morale and the benefits of most of the alchemical war charms, but otherwise are relatively normal mortals with as much training as can be crammed into a couple months. Most of the heaviest conflict will be handled by elite Estasian units, but the conscript army has to move up behind them, provide fire support, and hold objectives against counterattack by the forces of Yu-Shan.

I'm thinking maybe give them a talon of Enlightened Mortals in warstriders as Heroes, a few powerful spirit and/or exalted allies (the reason that the eight nations are actually cooperating on this is that the Maker is waking up and calling the shots, so I can see the Divine Ministers throwing quite a few of their combat forces behind the nations even though they need to keep most of them fighting the Void) in mixed roles, and some heavy artillery pieces such as heavy implosion bows as sorcerers.

Part of the problem is I'm doing this on behalf of a friend and I'm not sure his end game. Since he's invading Yu-Shan directly, he doesn't have to worry about the gods dematerializing, all well and good, but I'm not sure how he hopes to deal with a celestial lion insurgency when those slain in the fighting reform. Alchemical war charms provide some devastating benefits to the soldiers and Autochthonian artifice provides some mighty equipment, but at the same time it's a combined force of a few hundred thousand mortals with limited supernatural support and little combat experience going up against heaven. I'm not sure to what extent he wants it to be a devastating first strike from surprise (in which case more mobile units like warstriders or vehicles would come in handy) versus a willingness to settle in for a long siege, digging into the rubble and lobbing cannonades at key targets while the special forces do their thing (in which case I'd recommend more heavy implosion bows and defensive structures), and to what extent he's willing to risk the one turning into the other if things go wrong or how to cover an emergency evacuation.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

20. - Top - End - #650
    Troll in the Playground

I suggest priests to pray for their doomed souls.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Besides the Celestial Lions there are the Lion Dogs, the entire aerial legion with first age artifacts, Sky Spanning Awe already assembled, the numerous armories and stockpiles of first age stuff all the important gods have, hundreds of thousands of lesser elemental dragons, and tens of billions of gods.

There are gods who exist to specifically make every possible thing go wrong for this army. All the food will go rotten, disease will be rampant and constant, everything will require constant maintenance, etc.

Then there is Luna, who can spin off copies of herself while still playing the games. She is going to have an absolute field day hunting down your forces. There is also the entire Division of Battles, the fivescore fellowship which includes a lot of elder Essence and SMA, etc.

Finally, there is the distinct possibility that this will get the Sun off his rear to smite you.

It will be a very expensive object lesson on the security of the heavenly gates and will have more of an effect on heavenly politics then it will on Heaven's actual physical make up. The Gold Faction will point out that this never would have happened under the Deliberative, the Bronze Faction will say this is the returned Solar's fault, there will be backroom deals to get on the committees that assign the studies on what Heaven's response will be, the hawk lobby(considerably larger than before) will call for immediate deployment of the Aerial Legion in a counter attack (or they will just do it themselves), a new office will be created for to process damage complaints, etc.

In short, this is a terrible idea that is going to over with before the day is out. Invading Yu-Shan is a fool's errand unless you have a very specific objective that can be achieved with this little smash and grab. Conquering it is essentially impossible for any polity smaller or less advanced than the Solar Deliberative.

To answer your question more in the vein you were asking it in: Small units with very high might. I suggest subroutines that can deal with the Might 8 and 9 opposition you are going to be facing. Destroyers, your own lessor elemental dragons, and the like with support from colossi will have to serve as the tip of your spears.

21. - Top - End - #651
    Titan in the Playground

You mean a Heaven full of dispossessed gods, whose armies were probably weakened as well during the Contagion, full of nothing but bickering politicians and army that hasn't fought in like ever? ruling over a Creation full of elementals and terrestrial gods that aren't on good terms with Heaven?

right. Yu-Shan might not be invade-able in a straight-wise full frontal manner, but I bet that some manipulation here and there and you can turn Heaven against itself enough for you to invade while they are fighting each other, plus maybe with enough terrestrial gods and elementals on your side….
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

22. - Top - End - #652
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Exthalion View Post
    I suggest priests to pray for their doomed souls.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Besides the Celestial Lions there are the Lion Dogs, the entire aerial legion with first age artifacts, Sky Spanning Awe already assembled, the numerous armories and stockpiles of first age stuff all the important gods have, hundreds of thousands of lesser elemental dragons, and tens of billions of gods.

There are gods who exist to specifically make every possible thing go wrong for this army. All the food will go rotten, disease will be rampant and constant, everything will require constant maintenance, etc.

Then there is Luna, who can spin off copies of herself while still playing the games. She is going to have an absolute field day hunting down your forces. There is also the entire Division of Battles, the fivescore fellowship which includes a lot of elder Essence and SMA, etc.

Finally, there is the distinct possibility that this will get the Sun off his rear to smite you.

It will be a very expensive object lesson on the security of the heavenly gates and will have more of an effect on heavenly politics then it will on Heaven's actual physical make up. The Gold Faction will point out that this never would have happened under the Deliberative, the Bronze Faction will say this is the returned Solar's fault, there will be backroom deals to get on the committees that assign the studies on what Heaven's response will be, the hawk lobby(considerably larger than before) will call for immediate deployment of the Aerial Legion in a counter attack (or they will just do it themselves), a new office will be created for to process damage complaints, etc.

In short, this is a terrible idea that is going to over with before the day is out. Invading Yu-Shan is a fool's errand unless you have a very specific objective that can be achieved with this little smash and grab. Conquering it is essentially impossible for any polity smaller or less advanced than the Solar Deliberative.

To answer your question more in the vein you were asking it in: Small units with very high might. I suggest subroutines that can deal with the Might 8 and 9 opposition you are going to be facing. Destroyers, your own lessor elemental dragons, and the like with support from colossi will have to serve as the tip of your spears.
    To be clear, the invasion is coming from within Yu Shan itself, from within the Primal Forge. As mentioned, the major objectives will be handled by estasian elite units and alchemical champions as I understand (I've done up a sample special forces unit called the Estasian 501st: Might 6, all sorts of bonuses, rapid cloaked transports available). But there are only a few thousand of that caliber (on both sides), so the majority of the fighting will need to be handled by weaker soldiers.

Because they're emerging within Yu Shan directly, a lot of the god's advantages disappear. They can't dematerialize, they can't seal off the gates and wait it out for a century or two, and because it's not a one on one fight the majority of divine power gets rolled into a might score. Within the Celestial City, most Autochthonian tactics are applicable. Obviously the Trantec Irregulars can't stand up to the Celestial Lions or Aerial Legion as a whole, but they don't need to. They certainly don't need to face the incarnae: such high level dangers will be handled by colossi. They just need to hold position long enough for reinforcements to arrive and the advance to continue.

To that end, they have thaumaturgical wards and defenses against what many of the gods can do, preventing starvation and horror tactics. They have perfect morale and greater than normally possible drill. And the armies as pants mechanic mean that a competent alchemical leader (which they will have) massively tilts the scale in their favor. The fact that they can count as whatever formation is most advantageous and ignore problematic terrain unless it's to their benefit comes up as a massive plus column. What I need to figure out is the balance of special support in the form of artifacts and low to mid-level heroes which gives the grunts the best shot at holding out or accomplishing objectives, without drawing away elder alchemicals and elite strikers such as the Shogun of Genocide from more important conflicts.

Again though, the attack will be launched with nearly half a million soldiers, 400+ alchemicals, and 5-10,000 spirits bursting into Yu Shan's center overnight, without warning and with magical defenses and some armament. They have comparable might to most foes, they outnumber the armies of heaven, and as I understand they've suborned the pattern spiders. I don't think they can win a prolonged conflict, but I don't think it's anywhere near as one sided as you think.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

23. - Top - End - #653
    Troll in the Playground

Ultimately it is entirely up to the ST how difficult this is. I still say it is suicide, but there are people who say being a Solar and walking into Yu-Shan is suicide.

Then again: the Usurpation is impossible with basic Solar Charms much less the Dreams goodies, SMA allows you to kill everything in the world, most exalts apparently don't have perfect defenses, and it is possible to breed DB by the thousands per hour.

So if you or your ST want to play an invasion of heaven go ahead. Plot or mechanics, whatever works best for you. Just remember, Yu-Shan may be corrupt and decadent, but their crazy survivalist militia types still outnumber your forces by at least an order of magnitude and this act is guaranteed to get most of the power players to both break out the big guns and work together.

Using mass combat rules might mechanically take away most of the fluff advantages of the other side, but those things are still technically happening.There really are thousands of thunderbirds dragon's suspireing down tens of thousands of lightning bolts on your troops. The Bloody Huntress really is stalking your Alchemicals. See about making use of that if possible for actually playing this out. Something this cinematic shouldn't just be reduced to a few dice rolls in mass combat.

However this goes down it should not depict this sort of activity as anything to ever be attempted again under any but the most absolutely dire circumstances.

24. - Top - End - #654
    Titan in the Playground

You seem to massively underestimate the autochthonians. They have Essence 8 devas who can do terribly nasty things. if they're willing to go for Scorched Earth, they can just send in a dragon of smoke who chokes everything. They have living warstriders with charms and perfect defences bolstering their ranks, and they're backed by the might of an intelligent, fully powered primordial.
    Plus, if they can gain some ground, I expect that a colossus could start converting to metropolis inside yu-shan, which would then make it nearly impossible to take that particular point without massive losses.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

25. - Top - End - #655
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    You seem to massively underestimate the autochthonians. They have Essence 8 devas who can do terribly nasty things. if they're willing to go for Scorched Earth, they can just send in a dragon of smoke who chokes everything. They have living warstriders with charms and perfect defences bolstering their ranks, and they're backed by the might of an intelligent, fully powered primordial.
    Plus, if they can gain some ground, I expect that a colossus could start converting to metropolis inside yu-shan, which would then make it nearly impossible to take that particular point without massive losses.
    And Yu-Shan has Essence 9 and 10 gods and elementals, some of whom exist for the sole purpose of war. The Shogun of Genocide would have to contend with dozens of justs as old and powerful lesser elemental dragons. Yu Shan has a fortress on par with a Directional Titan (You know, the thing they tested every few years against Ligier). They have a tiny number of colossi which are all out numbered by orders of magnitude by people like Ghataru. Finally, the Heavenly Host is going to be led either by Luna or Mars (who can tear themselves away from the games long enough to accomplish things). If the whole thing is modeled as mass combat that isn't going to last very long.

There is also the small matter of scale. Yu-Shan is the size of North America. All of it is covered by city. Even with huge estates for everyone, that still results in tens to hundreds of billions of gods. Yu-Shan also has a higher average essence level than Creation since important (high essence) gods go there while lower ranking ones are doing their jobs. Assuming Autochthonia and Creation have the same average distribution of essence levels, this is tantamount to the Realm invading the Pole of Crystal.

Edit: As I recall he isn't all the way awake yet. Also, Alchemicals turning into cities takes months. Months in which they will be large, stationary, targets that Sky Spanning Awe can snipe at with High First Age weaponry. Also, all these gods are going to be coming back after they are killed because none of the Autochthonians have GET.

Edit 2: As I said though, it is up to the ST. If the ST is behind this Yu-Shan will be a walk in the part with only scattered local resistance while the factions continue to fight political games while the city burns. If the ST is not behind this, some Sidereal will use Breathing on the Black Mirror and the invasion will be over very quickly.
    Last edited by Exthalion; 2012-12-13 at 11:06 AM.

26. - Top - End - #656
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Exthalion View Post
    There is also the small matter of scale. Yu-Shan is the size of North America. All of it is covered by city. Even with huge estates for everyone, that still results in tens to hundreds of billions of gods. Yu-Shan also has a higher average essence level than Creation since important (high essence) gods go there while lower ranking ones are doing their jobs. Assuming Autochthonia and Creation have the same average distribution of essence levels, this is tantamount to the Realm invading the Pole of Crystal.
    To be fair, this is probably a situation where the writers didn't consider the implications of their work, because I don't think the Celestial gods were meant to outnumber humanity by a factor of a hundred to one.

*EDIT* On the other hand...

Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    Because they're emerging within Yu Shan directly, a lot of the god's advantages disappear. They can't dematerialize, they can't seal off the gates and wait it out for a century or two, and because it's not a one on one fight the majority of divine power gets rolled into a might score.
    That last line says more about the flaws with the mass combat system than anything else. I would expect the primary advantage of gods in Yu-Shan to be:
    1) Sheer numbers
    2) Knowledge of local terrain and ability to use the Celestial canals to rapidly move through a continent-sized city
    3) Access to Essence 5+ spirit Charms that utterly alter the course of the battlefield in moments.
    Last edited by Friv; 2012-12-13 at 11:57 AM.
    If you like my thoughts, you'll love my writing. Visit me at www.mishahandman.com.

27. - Top - End - #657

I'd probably lean towards Exthalion's point and figure that a full-scale assault on Heaven is suicidal. If anything is likely to draw the Incarnae away from the Games on at least a temporary basis, it's going to be an actual, literal invasion of their home city. That in itself is bad enough, as each of the Incarnae are quite capable of trashing armies by themselves, but then you've got all the gods and Sidereals to contend with.

And, of course, there's always the option of them calling for backup from Creation. Luna appears in the dreams of her Chosen, and bam, in less than a week, Silver Pact everywhere. Tien Yu pays a visit to Lookshy, hires out a Field Force or two. Etc etc.

Sure, with the Mass Combat mechanics, the Autocthonians have a decent force. Except it's still possible to launch direct assaults on individual officers in a mass combat, and if they're taken out, the massive combat bonuses their troops are enjoying goes away.

28. - Top - End - #658
    Titan in the Playground

Also, you may very well get The Unconquered Sun up and about.

And remember, a key part about gods is that they have custom panoply powers. War gods likely have some impressive stuff. And, if needed, Sidereals can always massively buff up gods as well.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

29. - Top - End - #659

GnomePirate

Golentan, I advise you to include as the special units teams of highly specialized psychological warfare people. Several units meant to disturb weather patterns, several teams meant to create smoke-screens and other phenomena meant to confuse and disturb the counter-efforts. Several teams of Exalt killers, who at the very least are capable of making them waste lots of motes. Demolitionists who will set up some sort of nasty anti-god bombs that have reduced effect on mortals. Those who will mask your Essence signatures would be cool as well. I advise recruiting Jadeborn and breaking their Great Geas as well. They have devastating weaponry, more advanced than non-Alchie made Autochtonian stuff. Their war buff charms are awesome and should compliment nicely with properly equipped Alchie command/support.

Stealth and misdirection will be your great assets since Autochtonians are Outside Fate and can largely ignore most efficient Sidereal powers. Super Kung-Fu is awesome, but eats motes like there is no tomorrow and majority of Alchie charms are cheap and have long lasting effects.

The Aerial Legion and stuff ... your Alchies will butcher them. They are there to face serious threats. If your assault is as properly prepared and executed as flawlessly as you seem to indicate, it'll be probably repeat of Primordial War's initial strike. Or Usurpation.

Eliminate/contain major targets for time needed to achieve your objectives. Zerg tactics with cheap spirit warriors isn't out of question, since they can be easily resurrected trough Prayers. Weakened power-houses can be moped up by Strong Spirits and Alchies in "Smack Big, Scary Things" mode.

EDIT: And people who are against "we were prepared so it should work" have their points, but miss that 99% of the gods are wimps. And bureaucrats. In short, civilians. Asymmetric warfare should work and terror tactics would be good as well. Remember that forces you said you will use to the invasion are good for "ambush" but nor much else. Do your stuff as quickly as possible, use the most powerful wards against detection and block LoS. Giving Heaven breathing time will lead to the death of Atuobot and all people inside. Sids aren't keen on being caught with pants down ... and The "Unconquered" likely will not suppress his Valor when deciding how insulting was that affront you did to him. Expect Daystar within days/hours blowing Autochtonia off the face of memory soon.
    Last edited by Rikandur Azebol; 2012-12-13 at 05:02 PM.

30. - Top - End - #660
    Troll in the Playground

Assume that Yu-Shan has the population density of the comfortable suburb of Perth. 15,000 people per square kilometer.

Yu-Shan is the size of North America and entirely covered with city. North America has a land area of 24,230,000 square kilometers. By basic multiplication that gives Yu-Shan a population of 363,450,000,000.

Lets assume 1% of them are war gods. This is somewhat generous all things considered since war is a big deal in Creation and there are not one but two institutions that exist solely for that purpose in Heaven (Aerial Legion and Division of Battles).

That gives you over 3.6 billion war gods. They outnumber the combined Alchemical Forces in this assault by a factor of over seven-thousand one-hundred and twenty.

They have superior mobility since they can use the existing transportation infrastructure. They have superior knowledge of the terrain. They have air superiority since almost all of them can fly by some means. They have superior equipment in the form of High First Age and Primordial crafted Panoplies. They have the Superior Leadership in the form of Mars or Luna. Heck, even without they have superior leadership in the form of the millennial old luminaries like the Shogun of Seasons or the Golden Lord. Finally they have superior tactics since they understand how to fight in the open meaning they can do things like use NLOS weaponry which you lack an appropriate counter for.

Your army's average essence is 1.3. Their army's average essence is at minimum 2 and likely considerably higher since war gods don't tend to be E2 functionaries.

In short, this is so lopsided as to be almost comical.