New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 24 of 51 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920212223242526272829303132333449 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #691
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: General Exalted Discussion XII: One More and Get a Free Deathlord

I believe it is specifically called out that Malfeas still has the ability to lift the geas.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

2. - Top - End - #692
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

With all that talk about war gods, what about Yo-Ping (the god of peace)? He just materialises in front of the invading army and tells them to "cut it out". Invasion over.
    Now I'm thinking with ponies!

3DS friend code:
    2449-5207-9736

3. - Top - End - #693
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SKarious View Post
    With all that talk about war gods, what about Yo-Ping (the god of peace)? He just materialises in front of the invading army and tells them to "cut it out". Invasion over.
    Or, considering the distopic nature of creation, he probably proceeds to open a bigger can than all the war gods combined. [/1984]

Hmmm, or he is like "Hmmm, I was going to try to salvage this situation, but you are all far too happy with it, so NO MORE PEACE FOR YOU!" Then all the Autocthonians start attacking eachother.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

4. - Top - End - #694
    Troll in the Playground

From the Tome of the Great Maker: Yu-Shan 8:13-14

"And there went out another dragon that was of air: and power was given to him that sat thereon to give peace to world, and that they should not kill one another: and there was given unto him a Superlative Sign.

The Emerald Voice said unto him, 'TO THEY WHO WILL NOT BOW BEFORE ME, FROM THEM YOUR FAVOR WITHDRAW. ALL SHALL ENDURE IN I ALONE!'"
    Last edited by Exthalion; 2012-12-14 at 04:45 PM.
    Many, many thanks to azuyomi244 for the avatar.

5. - Top - End - #695
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by omegalith View Post
    The thing about Sol's Titan-Summoning power is that he's explicitly only allowed to assign tasks whilst leaving the specifics of how the task is accomplished up to the Yozi... Which is why he has never once used it.

So if he called Malfeas up and told him to "Fetch me a bagel", there's not really anything keeping big green from forging four million gods into a vast Starmetal oven in which to bake a palace-sized bagel with flour formed from the ground bones of somehow still living mortals.

"I DID NOT THINK YOU WOULD WANT A BAGEL LESS MAGNIFICENT IN SCOPE THAN THE ONE I HAVE PROVIDED. IS THERE A PROBLEM WITH IT? I COULD MAKE A LARGER ONE IF IT IS IN ANY WAY UNSATISFACTORY."
    I'm really starting to like you. Keep doing this.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

6. - Top - End - #696
    Bugbear in the Playground

Could Sol somehow be tricked or coerced into using the Titan-Unleashing Clarion? It seems like a good way to destroy... well anything I guess. Could a Neverborn leverage themselves into position to blue screen all reality and ransom Sol to command Malfeas to get him a bagel?
    Quote Originally Posted by HerrTenko View Post
    TimeWizard, you've got to do something about all that Clarity you've got. It starts by just ruining jokes, but soon you'll be dreaming of electric sheep and stuff. It can't be good for you.

7. - Top - End - #697

Quote Originally Posted by aetherialDawn View Post
    Malfeas can lift it on Sol on a temporary basis (but fighting back refreshes the duration...)

The Unconquered Sun has no particular power to attack Primordials, except as Malfeas allows him to. If anything, should the Yozis find out about this, Malfeas might negotiate lifting the ban so that the UCS can attack Autochthon directly. But probably not.
    You actually have the bolded bit there kind of backwards: A Primordial attacking Ignis Divine allows the Sun to attack that Primordial in self-defense and IIRC makes it so that the Sun doesn't have to accept orders from them (until an event I can't remember). I'd need to go over the exact wording in Glories again to see the exact details.

Autochthon attacking ol' Iggy means that the Most High could get up and open a can of Glorious Solar Kickass on him.

8. - Top - End - #698
    Ettin in the Playground

Why restrict yourself to bagels?

"Malfeas, I want you to make me a summer house."

And that's how the Elemental Pole of Water became a sweet-ass swimming pool, and why the Realm is now referred to as "Sol's Crib."

Any questions?
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

9. - Top - End - #699
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post
    Why restrict yourself to bagels?

"Malfeas, I want you to make me a summer house."

And that's how the Elemental Pole of Water became a sweet-ass swimming pool, and why the Realm is now referred to as "Sol's Crib."

Any questions?
    Just one.
    Why is this a bad thing?
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

10. - Top - End - #700
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Exthalion View Post
    He can do that. The charm lets Sol call up any primordial Joten and command them as though they were bound by sorcery. So for the low, low price of 1m Sol can command Malfeas to order him to kill Autochthon.

As for it all being Sol's fault: Without Autochthon they couldn't have made Exalted in the first place. Without Autobot Sol will still be driving the sun around being unhappy.
    Sorcerous bindings cannot compel a being to act against certain aspects of their core self. See Angyalkae and playing music for a great example: You can order them to stop, but they don't stop.
    Instead, they gain Limit and get closer to breaking the Sorcerous Bindings and being free.

In Creation.

And now you know why Sol doesn't try to order around Malfeas, who cannot be ordered. Similarly, Ebby could not be ordered around by the Most High in Virtue, SWLiHN can't be ordered around by a rebel, Cecelyne can't be ordered around by anyone under E11...

(As for fighting back: I meant the primordial fighting back against Sol. if they direct attacks at him, it refreshes the duration, or so I thought, allowing more Glorious Solar Kickass time. Honestly, I'm not 100% sure how that bit works anyway.)
    Spoiler: Quotes Collection
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    I think we can pack it up and move to a different thread. aetherialDawn has won this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortuna
    Sufficiently advanced paranoia is indistinguishable from complacency.

Avatar by me - sketch of Skywing.
    Exalted: Scriptures of the Castes PM me suggestions!

11. - Top - End - #701
    Ettin in the Playground

Darn, we can't have the Glorious Solar Crib, which is hella awesome?

But yeah, that's a good point. Actually, which Primordial would he be able to boss around?

And could he get Malfeas to build the Glorious Solar Crib if he asked nicely, and got him to think it was his own idea?

What if he threw in a dance club?
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

12. - Top - End - #702

GnomePirate

In short, Primordial with Death Aura can just sit around watching Sol raising his hands against it ... while PD-ing it all. And since it isn't attacking, Sol runs out of motes first.
    Youth and strenght alvays lose to age and treachery.

13. - Top - End - #703
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rikandur Azebol View Post
    In short, Primordial with Death Aura can just sit around watching Sol raising his hands against it ... while PD-ing it all. And since it isn't attacking, Sol runs out of motes first.
    Probably this... Except Sol can throw out a LOT of damage in one scene, and many of his Unbound Sun abilities work best if you don't strike him constantly with a wide variety of attacks. He might not be able to singlehandedly beat a Primordial, but he can definitely force them into a fight...
    Spoiler: Quotes Collection
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    I think we can pack it up and move to a different thread. aetherialDawn has won this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortuna
    Sufficiently advanced paranoia is indistinguishable from complacency.

Avatar by me - sketch of Skywing.
    Exalted: Scriptures of the Castes PM me suggestions!

14. - Top - End - #704

If you want to be fully mechanical about it Sol is literally unbeatable with all of his virtues up. A death aura means less than nothing to a being with a permanent PD, and besides that, if the Yozi isn't attacking back Sol has no reason to spend motes on HIS attacks either. He'll hit anyway, more than often enough.

15. - Top - End - #705

Fluffy Slippers of Ultimate Authority

One morning, Sol was woken with a truly epic hangover, the natural consequence of going on a prayer binge that had lasted the entire Contagion. Adding alcohol and intoxication to his List Of Things Unholy In Sol's Eyes (accidentally killing a dozen surviving Elder Solars when the booze they were drinking reacted to their holy intestines), he pulled on a shirt and stumbled perfectly to the door (stepping over Luna, who woke long enough to confirm that Sol looked perfect, even three sheets to the wind and without His pants) and opened it.

"What do you want?" Sol asked, perfectly irate.

"Package for a Mr. Unconquered Sun, in Yu Shan," was the nasal reply of the messenger spirit.

"Fine. Give it to me." Was the Daystar practicing its martial arts again? Sol wondered as the pounding between his temples increased.

"Need a proof of identity," the annoying imp drawled, pulling the box back instants before Sol caught it.

"Do you know who I am?" Sol growled, radiance gathering about him.

"It doesn't say 'thoroughly senile' on the list, nor anything about wearing nothing below the belt," was the bored reply, as a form was consulted.

"Then you shall have PROOF!" Sol roared, and expended a mote.

"WHO DARES SUMMON THE ALMIGHTY MALFEAS, LORD OF ALL, DANCER UPON... oh. It's you. How was the bagel?"

"Nah. The package isn't for any male fleas, sorry."

"TREMBLE, PUNY GODLING! WHERE I NOT CONSTRAINED BY OATHS TERRIBLE AND PUISSANT BEYOND YOUR PUNY IMAGINATION, YOUR FATE WOULD BE SUCH THAT CREATION ITSELF WOULD WEEP IN HORROR TO HEAR OF IT. YET I AM COMPELLED. WHAT COMMAND DARE YOU ATTEMPT, sonny-boy?"

"About that... this insignificant worm, as you call him, won't accept my ID. And could you cut down the volume?"

"NONE MAY GAINSAY MALFEAS, AND THIS IS HIS INSIDE VOICE! Ahem. MUAHAHAHAHA! MALFEAS LAUGHS AT YOUR REQUEST, AND MOCKS YOUR FASHION SENSE. NEVER SHALL HE SERVE YOU, UNLESS IT BE THROUGH COMPULSION!"

"You know what? Fine. I, SOL INVICTUS, command you to instruct the messenger spirit here before me and inform him of My identity."

"WELL, SPIRIT? MALFEAS IS MERCIFUL AND JUST. WHAT MAKES YOU DOUBT THAT THE WRETCH BEFORE YOU IS INDEED SOL, HE WHO ORDERS BAGELS AND VACATION RESORTS ON THE CHEAP?"

"Well, mostly it's the description. According to this, it's only House Cynis folks you can see everything of from the toes on up. And, as you can tell..."

"MALFEAS UNDERSTANDS YOUR CONFUSION, AND WILL RESOLVE IT. BEHOLD! GO THOU TO LIGIER TO BE MADE INTO SUCH PROOF AS WILL CONVINCE YOU!"

The messenger vanished, taking his package with him. Ten days later, a crate marked "Adressee absent. Return to sender" was delivered at Sol's palace. Inside, he found a pair of Fluffly Slippers, ensuring that his toes would be covered when he opened the door forever after. Luna approved, as it meant she had an excuse to keep Sol's pants hidden.

The moral: it's a foolish Raksha that tries to prank the Unconquered Sun after a really good party.

Commoner Worker
    Essence 3
    Assumption of Bunny Form
    Assumption of the Person's Heart
    Assumption of Dreams and Passion
    Emotion Weaving Style
    All Consuming God Monster Stance

The Slippers link themseles to their rightful owner (probably Sol), manifesting as supremely comfortable bunny slippers. While in this form, the Slippers can allow their owner (Sol) to issue truly powerful commands, capable of rewriting the Motivation of any un-Exalted being (including Incarna, Yozi, and the like), and operating as if with 2 Essence higher than the owner's actual score.

Thus, while the Slippers cannot compel the obedience of Malfeas or Cecelyne on their own, Sol (or any Essence 9+ being) can use them to issue commands bearing the authority of an Essence 12 (or 11+) entity.
    Last edited by meschlum; 2012-12-15 at 02:22 AM.

16. - Top - End - #706
    Ettin in the Playground

Meschlum...

What have you done?

17. - Top - End - #707
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    Just one.
    Why is this a bad thing?
    Because Malfeas probably built Sol's Crib with the remains of the hundreds of millions of people native to the Isle.

Continent-wide genocide is generally considered to be a bad thing.

18. - Top - End - #708
    Titan in the Playground

Your mind scares me meschlum.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

19. - Top - End - #709

Now I'm waiting for the FLUFFY BATHROBE OF INCOMPREHENSIBLE RIGHTEOUSNESS.

You might want to get on that. (also no one answered my ransom question :( )
    Quote Originally Posted by HerrTenko View Post
    TimeWizard, you've got to do something about all that Clarity you've got. It starts by just ruining jokes, but soon you'll be dreaming of electric sheep and stuff. It can't be good for you.

20. - Top - End - #710

Quote Originally Posted by aetherialDawn View Post
    Sorcerous bindings cannot compel a being to act against certain aspects of their core self. See Angyalkae and playing music for a great example: You can order them to stop, but they don't stop.
    Instead, they gain Limit and get closer to breaking the Sorcerous Bindings and being free.

In Creation.

And now you know why Sol doesn't try to order around Malfeas, who cannot be ordered. Similarly, Ebby could not be ordered around by the Most High in Virtue, SWLiHN can't be ordered around by a rebel, Cecelyne can't be ordered around by anyone under E11...
    Limit breaking doesn't free[1] bound demons, it just makes them do some undesirable things because they have gone somewhat crazy.

[1]unless they have the Slave binding, in which case it sometimes does.
    Remember: Hope springs eternal. The dark days will pass and the sun will shine again.

The best way to learn something is to ask, so ask without shame.

Many thanks to smuchmuch for the awesome Ponytar.

21. - Top - End - #711

So, I've been interested in exalted for quite a bit, and the possibility for me to get my hands on the book and some splats (sidereal and DB) for Christmas has opened up.

But 3e is around the corner, so should I go for what's in front of me, or should I wait for 3e and scratch the books from my Christmas list?

Pirate Justin avatar by myself. Emmi avatar by Gulaghar, Much Thanks!

My Characters

22. - Top - End - #712
    Titan in the Playground

Wait for 3ed. Seriously, just wait.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

23. - Top - End - #713
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post
    Meschlum...

What have you done?
    FOOL, the One and Truly Meschlum's actions are not to be questioned. They simply are.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

24. - Top - End - #714

Quote Originally Posted by OrchestraHc View Post
    So, I've been interested in exalted for quite a bit[...]
    Welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by OrchestraHc View Post
    But 3e is around the corner, so should I go for what's in front of me, or should I wait for 3e and scratch the books from my Christmas list?
    Wait. For the sake of all that is sane in your own mind, wait. I know that patience can be less than desired at times, but it's simply the better and wiser choice to wait for an Edition that functions as written.

Second Edition's errata manual is incomplete. According to the hear-say that manual is going to remain incomplete indefinitely. So...my recommendation is to look to play a complete game than to pick up one which is already confirmed as being broken.

Please have a nice day?

25. - Top - End - #715
    Ogre in the Playground

I have a few Yozi related questions. How exactly do Yozis and their souls work? What's a Fetich Soul? Is their such thing as a yozi, or are they just a bunch of souls?
    If you need me somewhere, don't hesitate to PM me. I have bad mental health days sometimes, so if I vanish that's probably why. PMs will help break me out of that.
    ~~~~~
    Games I'm Running:
    Digimon: Recollections (OoC)
    Fate/Grand Order: Chaldean Irregulars (OoC)
    ~~~~~
    Kyoko-atar by Coronalwave

26. - Top - End - #716
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord pringle View Post
    I have a few Yozi related questions. How exactly do Yozis and their souls work?
    Yozi's souls/minds/etc. are too big and complex for single body to contain them, so they are split along thematic lines and each get their own body in the form of a 3rd Circle Demon. Likewise each of these new creature's souls are still too big for a single body, so they get seven sub-souls each in the form of 2nd Circle Demons.

What's a Fetich Soul?
    A Fetich soul is the most important 3rd Circle Demon a particular Yozi possesses. It's the one that encapsulates the core of that Yozi's mindset, the one that exists as a definition of what that Yozi is all about. If another 3rd Circle soul is slain, the Yozi loses a part of itself, but it can create a new one as that was just a part of them.

The Fetich however is their heart, kill that and you take from the Yozi everything that they are. Hence if you do so, their entire remaining soul structure implodes entirely, and when the Yozi rebuild's it is different, because it cannot have the same Fetich it used to, so it's whole mindset is altered permanently.

Is their such thing as a yozi, or are they just a bunch of souls?
    I asked this exact question myself, that's kind of suspicious. I'd ask that you stay out of my mind without permission please.

Anyway, the Yozi's do exist. Their bodies are called Jouten, which is how they interact with existence (otherwise they can only temporarily possess their Souls to act). Killing a Jouten kills the Yozi, which sinks down to the Labyrinth and gets stuck just above Oblivion, becoming a Neverborn.

They can have multiple Jouten meaning they can be in multiple places at once, eg. Malfeas dancing down his own streets. However if one dies, they all die.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

27. - Top - End - #717
    Firbolg in the Playground

The different Third Circle souls of a Yozi express different parts of their personality. Erembour, for example, generally encapsulates the Ebon Dragon's physically corruptive aspects (what with her horn that turns those who hear it into monsters), as well as his creative side in her music. A fetich is the representative of a Yozi's sense of self, their knowledge of who they are, which is a big deal for something that's basically a personification of some theme. Kill that, and the entire Yozi goes into shock while they attempt to redefine themselves.

I'm fairly sure killing a Jouten doesn't do anything immensely serious or fatal to the overall Yozi. They'd be a damn sight easier to fight if that were the case...
    "Not trusting me might be the smartest decision you made since getting off of your horse."

Avatar by Ifni, who is rightly awesome.

28. - Top - End - #718
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maugan Ra View Post
    The different Third Circle souls of a Yozi express different parts of their personality. Erembour, for example, generally encapsulates the Ebon Dragon's physically corruptive aspects (what with her horn that turns those who hear it into monsters), as well as his creative side in her music. A fetich is the representative of a Yozi's sense of self, their knowledge of who they are, which is a big deal for something that's basically a personification of some theme. Kill that, and the entire Yozi goes into shock while they attempt to redefine themselves.

I'm fairly sure killing a Jouten doesn't do anything immensely serious or fatal to the overall Yozi. They'd be a damn sight easier to fight if that were the case...
    Killing a jouten is impossible to do without Ghost Eating Technique equivalents (and impossible even with GET equivalents from the unexalted or infernals). Killing a jouten with such a technique does immediately and permanently transform the primordial in question into a neverborn. Killing a Jouten, having as it does an essence pool in the thousands, health levels in the hundreds (at a minimum), a literal army of subordinate demons in the millions it can call on at any time, and charms spanning to essence ten at the highest power level available in the setting, is no easy matter.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

29. - Top - End - #719
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    Killing a jouten is impossible to do without Ghost Eating Technique equivalents (and impossible even with GET equivalents from the unexalted or infernals). Killing a jouten with such a technique does immediately and permanently transform the primordial in question into a neverborn. Killing a Jouten, having as it does an essence pool in the thousands, health levels in the hundreds (at a minimum), a literal army of subordinate demons in the millions it can call on at any time, and charms spanning to essence ten at the highest power level available in the setting, is no easy matter.
    Yeah. The Brass Dancer can take just as many punches as the demon city. He isn't any easier to fight just because he's smaller.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

30. - Top - End - #720
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    Yeah. The Brass Dancer can take just as many punches as the demon city. He isn't any easier to fight just because he's smaller.
    Of course, in that particular case, it's just about impossible to fight one without fighting the other. If you fight the Brass Dancer, he's in the City. If you fight the City, it won't take long for the Dancer to get to where you are.

Are there any Yozis who don't wander around inside themselves?
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew