New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 28 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #811
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomePirate

Default Re: General Exalted Discussion XII: One More and Get a Free Deathlord

Quote Originally Posted by Doran View Post
    What would happen to the solar and sidereal shards if humanity went extinct?
    Solar shards would float indefinitively, until someone matching their specifications happens eventually as they have ETERNITY for that. Siddy shards are tied to Fate, thus they would simply reassign and I think in factor of chances slightly better than Solar ones.

Loonar Shards are the most mutable ones, but as Canon says, beings without compatible souls can't Exalt. Sure, if animals of your story have human-alike souls (because normal animals from Exalted have only the perishable P'o soul) then they would be fully legible for Exaltation.

Except for the Solar ones, these are quite picky. When compared with Lunar ones. Only twin-souled mortals, preferable un-Enlightened, non-CoD's etc.
    Youth and strenght alvays lose to age and treachery.

2. - Top - End - #812
    Ogre in the Playground

In fact, the extinction of humanity followed by a fortuitous Wyld mutation giving a certain class of equines split souls is precisely the story behind the Ponyxalted setting which is slowly coming together.
    If I creep into your house in the dead of night and strangle you while you sleep, you probably messed up your grammar.

I'm always extremely careful to hedge myself against absolute statements.

3. - Top - End - #813

GnomePirate

How is the Ponyxalted faring ? Did gods exist still there ?

4. - Top - End - #814
    Ogre in the Playground

Ponyxalted is coming along well! There's an occasional hiccup... I thought that the split souls happened for a totally different reason, for instance, and I'll need to clear that up.

As for the Gods, they still exist as a group. There's just... fewer of them kicking around.
    Please feel free to draw your own conclusions as to why, although the answer is pretty obvious once you see it.
    Spoiler: Quotes Collection
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    I think we can pack it up and move to a different thread. aetherialDawn has won this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortuna
    Sufficiently advanced paranoia is indistinguishable from complacency.

Avatar by me - sketch of Skywing.
    Exalted: Scriptures of the Castes PM me suggestions!

5. - Top - End - #815

GnomePirate

How the Kejop Thejak called it, careful pruning ?

At least gods don't cause so much trouble as Exalted. You could simply program their fate to die.

6. - Top - End - #816
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Doran View Post
    What would happen to the solar and sidereal shards if humanity went extinct?
    Lytek would flip his lid because human extinction means he loses his place in the Yu Shan hierarchy since no Humans = no Exalts. From that point it's just a matter of badgering the appropriate beings (be they Gods, Yozi, Dragon Kings or Autobot) until they make at least 700 more Humans and/or alter the Exaltation Shards so that they can bind with non-Humans.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

7. - Top - End - #817
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    Lytek would flip his lid because human extinction means he loses his place in the Yu Shan hierarchy since no Humans = no Exalts. From that point it's just a matter of badgering the appropriate beings (be they Gods, Yozi, Dragon Kings or Autobot) until they make at least 700 more Humans and/or alter the Exaltation Shards so that they can bind with non-Humans.
    Altering the Exaltation shards has not historically been terribly effective at relaxing the binding requirements.

Also, if humanity just outright disappeared, unless some god has a special Panoply charm to make more out of nothing I think Lytek's lid-flipping will be lost amongst the collective lid-flipping of all the prayer going away.
    Spoiler: Quotes Collection
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    I think we can pack it up and move to a different thread. aetherialDawn has won this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortuna
    Sufficiently advanced paranoia is indistinguishable from complacency.

Avatar by me - sketch of Skywing.
    Exalted: Scriptures of the Castes PM me suggestions!

8. - Top - End - #818
    Troll in the Playground

I can see now a party of Lytek, the Shogun of Artificial Flight, and a few other gods that depend on the things mortals do raiding First Age biogenesis labs to create new humans.

So long as the Well of Souls hasn't been destroyed, that is.
    Most excellent Rising Echo avatar created by GryffonDurime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardea View Post
    That is the scariest two lines I have read in a forum of any kind.
    Take two internets, a cookie and a vorpal sword, please.
    Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, drunkeness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.

Don't be stupid.

9. - Top - End - #819
    Troll in the Playground

Or, someone with a WST technique, such as Gaia, just takes a break from whatever they are doing and makes more. The first 700 or so Exalt more or less instantly leaving the one who did this with an army of doom since they got to pick the new human's motivations.

Among other things, Sol could spend 1 mote and have She Who Lives in Her Name do it. (All things considered, she is probably the most likely to not do anything too egregious if the command is worded precisely enough.)
    Last edited by Exthalion; 2012-12-26 at 08:34 PM.
    Many, many thanks to azuyomi244 for the avatar.

10. - Top - End - #820
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Exthalion View Post
    Or, someone with a WST technique, such as Gaia, just takes a break from whatever they are doing and makes more. The first 700 or so Exalt more or less instantly leaving the one who did this with an army of doom since they got to pick the new human's motivations.

Among other things, Sol could spend 1 mote and have She Who Lives in Her Name do it. (All things considered, she is probably the most likely to not do anything too egregious if the command is worded precisely enough.)
    Could you recover Terrestrial Exaltation from Human extinction, eg. could a Neomah increase the likelihood of Dragonblood Exaltation in a Second Edition Human from 0 to 1? Or are they gone for good in that situation?

Maybe Gaia can grant a Breeding score through some Panopoly Charm, or Scoured Perfection of Form can grant it as a positive mutation?
    Last edited by Kobold-Bard; 2012-12-27 at 06:18 AM.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew

11. - Top - End - #821
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Exthalion View Post
    "It Took Four Thousand, Seven Hundred And Fifteen Re-Evaluations Of Potential Loopholes To Give Them This Little Free Will. What Remains Is Of Course Sickening, But I Feel It Was Nonetheless A Worthwhile Endeavor To Rewire Their Emotions To Derive More Intense Pleasure From Maximized Efficiency Than From Their Primitive Reproductive Impulses."

12. - Top - End - #822

GnomePirate

Kobold-Bard, all it takes is Five Elemental Dragons to do it again. ^^

13. - Top - End - #823
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rikandur Azebol View Post
    Kobold-Bard, all it takes is Five Elemental Dragons to do it again. ^^
    The Five Dragons have absolutely nothing to do with the Terrestrial Exaltation.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: 7.

Factors: 2.

Wealth: 5

Magic: 4

Espionage: 4

Military: 2.

Faith: 6.

14. - Top - End - #824

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by Turalisj View Post
    The Five Dragons have absolutely nothing to do with the Terrestrial Exaltation.
    Go check your memory then. If canon didn't changed behind my back the dragon souls of Gaia do have everything in common with Terrestials.

15. - Top - End - #825
    Troll in the Playground

If you make the claim, it is your responsibility to back it up.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #826
    Titan in the Playground

Go check your memory then. If canon didn't changed behind my back the dragon souls of Gaia do have everything in common with Terrestials.
    As I recall, the 5 Dragons have the same influence over Terrestrial Exaltation that the Incarnae do over Celestial; they were the template for them and they have some honorary authority but no actual power over it.
    Last edited by Kobold-Bard; 2012-12-27 at 08:51 AM.

17. - Top - End - #827
    Troll in the Playground

We're in Houserule territory.

Whether or not the Five Dragons are capable of replicating Exaltation is a question that has been left open, probably rather deliberately. Thus, it's really up to the individual ST about what would happen to the Dragon-Blooded if humanity was obliterated.

I will say that granting Breeding is something that should not be doable by Charms that grant Backgrounds or mutations. It's too powerful and too easy a fix for the Dragon-Blooded lineage problems.
    If you like my thoughts, you'll love my writing. Visit me at www.mishahandman.com.

18. - Top - End - #828

GnomePirate

As far as I know, Terrestial Exalted (as there is no Terrestial Exaltations like Lytek could confirm) are propagated by blood ties. Right ?

Thus were there a need, like order from Gaia, the Five can drop their full-time jobs and go produce more of them. Because Terrestials are somewhat modified God-Bloods and that's it.

EDIT: At least in my opinion. Similarities are too great to ignore. And Turasjil it is You who made claim that Elemental Dragons have nothing to do with Terrestials, remember ? Where's your proof then ?
    Last edited by Rikandur Azebol; 2012-12-27 at 09:14 AM.

19. - Top - End - #829
    Firbolg in the Playground

Terrestrials aren't just simply descendants of the Five Dragons. That's the thing.

20. - Top - End - #830
    Firbolg in the Playground

I've always been a bit confused by Breeding, honestly. In some sources, Breeding is a relatively new thing, as careful marriages and eugenics programs have been increasing the strength of the Terrestrial blood through each generation. In other sources, at one time every Dragon-Blood had Breeding 5 or so, and it's only because they started sleeping with mortals that the purity of the lines have been decreasing.
    "Not trusting me might be the smartest decision you made since getting off of your horse."

Avatar by Ifni, who is rightly awesome.

21. - Top - End - #831
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maugan Ra View Post
    I've always been a bit confused by Breeding, honestly. In some sources, Breeding is a relatively new thing, as careful marriages and eugenics programs have been increasing the strength of the Terrestrial blood through each generation. In other sources, at one time every Dragon-Blood had Breeding 5 or so, and it's only because they started sleeping with mortals that the purity of the lines have been decreasing.
    Both of those facts are true.

Originally, every Terrestrial had Breeding N/A, and their children always Exalted. Over the course of the First Age, they gradually diluted their bloodlines by occasionally sleeping with mortals. Over the course of the Shogunate, they did it even more, and immediately post-Contagion they did it a freaking lot because most dragon-bloods were dead.

Since then, the Empress has been using careful marriages and eugenics to improve the Breeding of her Dynasty back to a reasonable level.
    If you like my thoughts, you'll love my writing. Visit me at www.mishahandman.com.

22. - Top - End - #832
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maugan Ra View Post
    Both in a way. At one time they all had breeding N/A before they had intermingled with mortals at all. Then they started sleeping with everything that moved and it rapidly fell off. Now the Left Hand of Power and the Empress are arranging to have the Dynasts breed more pure strains to regain a breeding score. It is possible that Breeding N/A cannot be regained and that breeding five is the best that can be done now.

As for the new Terrestrials, there is a possible way it might be regained. There are humans who have become gods. If they had any of the dragon's blood in them, then by mating with humans they could reintroduce the bloodlines. After that, you get into the genesis labs and breeding manses to try to get something sufficient to get an Exaltation out of it.

Edit: Siderealed!
    Last edited by Exthalion; 2012-12-27 at 11:12 AM.
    Many, many thanks to azuyomi244 for the avatar.

23. - Top - End - #833
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Friv View Post
    Since then, the Empress has been using careful marriages and eugenics to improve the Breeding of her Dynasty back to a reasonable level.
    And by eugenics, Friv means inbreeding. Marrying your cousin who exalted as a fire aspect is a common- Oh god. Tenshi Muyo: Exalted. Someone needs to do this.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #834
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Turalisj View Post
    Oh god. Tenshi Muyo: Exalted. Someone needs to do this.
    Pure win. That is all.
    Most excellent Rising Echo avatar created by GryffonDurime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardea View Post
    That is the scariest two lines I have read in a forum of any kind.
    Take two internets, a cookie and a vorpal sword, please.
    Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, drunkeness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.

Don't be stupid.

25. - Top - End - #835
    Troll in the Playground

You could even do it with the cast being the unwitting inheritors of the Incarna's power after-the-end of Creation.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #836

GnomePirate

Dragon blooded suddenly popping up on WoD Earth would be super fun.

"John ! Don't burn the neighbourn's cat !"

"Don't talk to me like that mom ! I hate you !"

"Aaa ! My son is on fire !"

EDIT: And another option for Terrestials with sullied Breeding, asides from in-breeding, is breeding with Elementals of the proper sub-type.
    Last edited by Rikandur Azebol; 2012-12-27 at 12:47 PM.

27. - Top - End - #837
    Ogre in the Playground

Cousin marriage isn't harmful within a generation, and I'm pretty sure the concept of overdoing it is known to the Realm. The reason the west has a cousin marriage taboo is that the nobility did it so much that they actually had inbreeding occur (which takes successive generations), not because cousin marriage is automatically harmful. It's also really uncommon to marry anyone close to you in the Realm, because that isn't politically useful. marrying out of your House (and thus out of your immediately tracked extended family) is normal.
    Last edited by RPGuru1331; 2012-12-27 at 03:57 PM.
    Asok: Shouldn't we actually be working?
    And then Asok was thrown out of the car.

28. - Top - End - #838
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    Could you recover Terrestrial Exaltation from Human extinction, eg. could a Neomah increase the likelihood of Dragonblood Exaltation in a Second Edition Human from 0 to 1? Or are they gone for good in that situation?
    Well, there is the 'terrestrial bloodline' merit. While bloodlines are dumb, it would make sense to be able to up that to breeding for the purposes of making new exalts.

EDIT: And another option for Terrestials with sullied Breeding, asides from in-breeding, is breeding with Elementals of the proper sub-type.
    Yes, but pretty much everyone thinks this is a stupid rule.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

29. - Top - End - #839
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    Yes, but pretty much everyone thinks this is a stupid rule.
    To be fair, it's an okay rule as long as doing so is not strictly superior to marrying an actual Dragon-Blood of decent Breeding. The idea of properly-aspected elementals being able to up Exaltation rates compared to a mortal parent is fine. The dumb rule is the one where elementals give you a 100% Exaltation rate.

30. - Top - End - #840

GnomePirate

Why properly aspected Elemental as a breeding partner shouldn't be better than a human breeding partner for a Dragon-Blooded Lixie ?

Also there is that Manse power that give increased chance of having Dragon-Blooded child that is conceived inside. Auspicious something. One wonders IF it works on normal mortals as well ?

And now a question about Lunars. Since Exalted Wiki died some time ago, and I learned it only recently having not visited that site for over 4 months, now I am in a pinch. Because there was listed a Knack, I vaguely remember, requiring Essence 3 and Appearance 3 that let your Lunar assume War Form without manifesting Mutations (that would probably mean you just look like really big and Hulked out human) inherent from Spirit Shape. I am almost sure it wasn't fan-made but something from Ink Monkeys or other officially canonical source.

Could someone please help me out here ?