New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 51 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: General Exalted Discussion XII: One More and Get a Free Deathlord

Quote Originally Posted by Turalisj View Post
    Source please. Developer quote or direct book quote, no implied.
    Here's the closest thing I could get to it:
    Quote Originally Posted by Scroll of Errata
    New Charm Concept: Impossible Actions
    Characters who attempt to perform an action with zero dice automatically fail at that action, regardless how many successes they may garner from Charms or other sources.
    Ebby has zero in Attributes and Abilities for actions outside the purview of his Excellency, and can't channel Virtues for easy dice, so he literally can't perform any action outside the purview of his Excellency.

Note that Swilly likewise can't perform actions outside the purview of her Excellency, since her Virtue Charms turn those dice into successes, and, as it points out, successes don't do anything if you don't roll dice in the first place.
    Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 2012-10-24 at 11:39 AM.
    It is inevitable, of course, that persons of epicurean refinement will in the course of eternity engage in dealings with those of... unsavory character. Record well any transactions made, and repay all favors promptly.. (Thanks to Gnomish Wanderer for the Toreador avatar! )

Wanna see what all this Exalted stuff is about? Here's a primer!

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

What about stunting? I'm unsure if you can stunt if you have 0 dice...
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

3. - Top - End - #93

In Ebby's case, stunting still doesn't work, as another one of his Charms turns his stunt dice into auto-successes, and again, successes do nothing when there's no dice behind them.
    Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 2012-10-24 at 11:50 AM.
    It is inevitable, of course, that persons of epicurean refinement will in the course of eternity engage in dealings with those of... unsavory character. Record well any transactions made, and repay all favors promptly.. (Thanks to Gnomish Wanderer for the Toreador avatar! )

Wanna see what all this Exalted stuff is about? Here's a primer!

4. - Top - End - #94
    Troll in the Playground

Except you can stunt to make something within the purview of your excellency with certain degrees of plausibility.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: 7.

Factors: 2.

Wealth: 5

Magic: 4

Espionage: 4

Military: 2.

Faith: 6.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomePirate

Stunting add dice so it is probably allowed even for Ebon Dragon.

Autochton have that big machine that probably works as auto-stunt giver and give him around 10 dice on actions outside of his purview. Not to shabby and explains a lot why his ideas outside of his normal gimmick are so mundane.

Quote Originally Posted by Andreaz View Post
    Ktula could not learn any solar magic that exploited her new form. It's why she learned Emulation Principles in the first place to get Kimbery charms.
    Learn, yes she couldn't ... develop, probably as E6+ shaenigans since Solar Shard thematics are built around guy who looks normally like tentacle Godzilla.

But creative use of what you have ? I think it should work. For example Archery charms could be used with breath weapon, as it is ranged weapon like any other. Emulating dragon-fear with Mob Dispersing Rebuke was also fun.

On the discussion about Autobot "unable" to create Celestial Exaltation Shards ... if people claiming that would be right it mean that Unconquered Sun, Luna and Maidens found theirs in the gift box from Santa. There is no other logical explanation.

IMO, Golentan very accurately described why Autobot would see Alchies as superior to Celestial Shards. He needed Champions/Protectors and not walking nukes.
    Youth and strenght alvays lose to age and treachery.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

Except you can stunt to make something within the purview of your excellency with certain degrees of plausibility.
    Swillin is still unable to show empathy for individuals, no matter how hard she stunts, and Ebby can't be a shining heroic figure ever.

Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

7. - Top - End - #97
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Andreaz View Post
    Chill, man. I'm talking only on cecelyne's end. There's a very specific list of what she can give you and "She has to have it" is not in there. The receiving end is fairly simpler: If he can have it, it works.

Curiously enough, mortals can't have solar charms, who knew?
    Do note that the discussion wasn't about the canon charm, but a potential charm that wouldn't have those weaknesses.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

8. - Top - End - #98
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    Swillin is still unable to show empathy for individuals, no matter how hard she stunts, and Ebby can't be a shining heroic figure ever.
    Which doesn't prevent Ebby from using melee or Swillin from using socialize.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: 7.

Factors: 2.

Wealth: 5

Magic: 4

Espionage: 4

Military: 2.

Faith: 6.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

No, but it does prevent him from using melee unless it qualifies for his excellency, or that one charm where if you're cornered you can do things against theme. You know, like the rules lay out.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

Primordials are incapable of acting in certain ways. This is how they're supposed to work. It's why they find it so hard to relate to mortals and why they suck to be ruled by.

Primordials are not human.
    Last edited by Yuki Akuma; 2012-10-24 at 12:42 PM.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    Primordials are incapable of acting in certain ways. This is how they're supposed to work. It's why they find it so hard to relate to mortals and why they suck to be ruled by.

Primordials are not human.
    Also, the fact that their rolls use an ability is only because the system must represent it somehow. In reality, the abilities are not intrinsic to their themes, they created them in the same way they created Fate and Reincarnation. (The Virtues are not like this which is what makes them suitable as a source for the UCS's nature). Assuming they emerged from the Wyld full-wrought that is, in which case they never even had ability dots.

Also, they are not nice. Sociopathically myopic they have always been, now they are angry and mean.
    Many, many thanks to azuyomi244 for the avatar.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ettin in the Playground

I would argue that some of them are "nice", in their own way.

Adorjan is trying to enlighten you; it's not her fault that you're overly possessive of your life and other such attachments.

Szorezny opposes you so that you can be a better you; isn't that altruistic?

Swillin' just wants everyone to fit in a nice, rigid hierarchy, where there is no strife or problems at all.

Kimbery loves her children to bits, like a good mother.

The problem is that their definition of "nice" is so different from ours that, well...

I think the best thing I've read on it is that the Primordials are adults from the point of view of small children. You know, big, weird, and doing important things that seem utterly nonsensical to us.

It was a dev comment, and I'll see if I can find it...
    Last edited by Amechra; 2012-10-24 at 03:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

13. - Top - End - #103

The Ebon Dragon is perhaps the only Yozi who doesn't think of himself as nice, or in the right, or possessed of a goal that is actually the best possible outcome if only these mortals would actually understand etc.

And that's because such a world view is, as noted, not in his theme.

(Adorjan might also count by virtue of being totally insane, so who knows how she views herself)
    "Not trusting me might be the smartest decision you made since getting off of your horse."

Avatar by Ifni, who is rightly awesome.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maugan Ra View Post

(Adorjan might also count by virtue of being totally insane, so who knows how she views herself)
    Her goal is salvation isn't it? She frees you of your pain and suffering by ripping you to shreds.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ettin in the Playground

Adorjan's a real sweet-heart, if you think about it...

I think we should let her out!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. No. That would be a terrible idea.
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post
    Adorjan's a real sweet-heart, if you think about it...

I think we should let her out!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. No. That would be a terrible idea.
    Really, if you had to let one out it would probably be Adorjan, since she's the only one that bears no malice towards Creation and the Exalts. You just have to sort of funnel her into the Wyld and find a way to keep her out there. Then she'll have infinite playmates and no reason to return except by accident/the machinations of the Raksha.
    Last edited by Kobold-Bard; 2012-10-24 at 06:23 PM.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Troll in the Playground

Oh I think most of them revel in their malice. Malfeas wants to make you hurt because he does. He doesn't think this is good, he thinks you can't do anything about it.

The Endless Desert will grind you down to dust, physically or spiritually, and enjoy your degradation.

She who lives is perfectly fine killing you if it is in service to her Greater Good, which happens to be doing what Malfeas wants. Meaning the fact that killing ALL the prayer batteries is inefficient and thus loathsome to her is meaningless. She is working for a loathsome world because her king wants it.

Part of the Maiming was to make their myopia into active adversity (TED didn't need much work.) The Yozi do their best to try to kill each other, stopped only by the fact that they can't. Isodorus prevents Malfeas from Crushing Things, Adorjan really, truly, would kill them all if she could, The Endless Desert oppresses even her own souls with her arbitrary law. Think about Kimbery and all her spite and hate and poison. The line between love and hate is very easily crossed with her.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    Really, if you had to let one out it would probably be Adorjan, since she's the only one that bears no malice towards Creation and the Exalts. You just have to sort of funnel her into the Wyld and find a way to keep her out there. Then she'll have infinite playmates and no reason to return except by accident/the machinations of the Raksha.
    Unfortunately, it's possible that Adorjan loves Creation too much to leave it alone. Hard to predict.

Myself, I'd pick Qaf as the safest to release. I'm not sure what releasing him would actually do, but "unsure" is a lot better than any other Yozi I can think of.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

19. - Top - End - #109
    Titan in the Playground

Well he does seem like the most passive of the Yozis….Qaf seems more like some monk who sits in the corner and when you go seek him for wisdom, all you get is some weird koan or question back and you have to figure it out yourself, but when you do and you come back to him, all he does is nod then pose another koan…..
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    Unfortunately, it's possible that Adorjan loves Creation too much to leave it alone. Hard to predict.

Myself, I'd pick Qaf as the safest to release. I'm not sure what releasing him would actually do, but "unsure" is a lot better than any other Yozi I can think of.
    We do know at least some ways to control and distract Szoreny, although it still is dangerous for a few dedicated Exalted... And he is also the one who seems to think it possible to obtain 'parole' of a sort. Perhaps some bindings can be released without releasing all of them.
    Spoiler: Quotes Collection
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    I think we can pack it up and move to a different thread. aetherialDawn has won this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortuna
    Sufficiently advanced paranoia is indistinguishable from complacency.

Avatar by me - sketch of Skywing.
    Exalted: Scriptures of the Castes PM me suggestions!

21. - Top - End - #111
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'm still interested in how exactly one might go about "sort-of" freeing the Yozis. The crux of the Dragon's plan is abusing Heaven's marriage laws to acquire metaphysical ownership of the Blessed Isle and then gradually corrupting it so as to be more habitable. Is the reverse possible? No one but the Bronze Faction uses Meru anymore; would it be possible to construct an Artifact N/A geomantic array atop and beneath the city to make it a part of the Demon City? Surely Malfeas would cool off "enough" from the pleasure of sitting atop humanity's greatest capital to want to keep you alive a bit longer without turning you akuma. And then that gives you the opportunity to broker deals with his subsouls, so on and so forth.

But paroling Yozis "as-is," your best bets are:
    Szoreny, who will take forever to actually act against you
    SWLIHN, when given enough paperwork
    Isidoros, when dared to live as a human adventurer for an indefinite period of time
    Qaf, who doesn't care about much of anything
    Adorjan, when placed inside a giant hamster wheel

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm now imagining Isodoros as a cross between Pumba and an 18th century British explorer.

It is an awesome image.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Troll in the Playground

She Who Lives would likely be the safest bet if you can get her to legitimately submit to be subservient to you. You are now dictator forever, but that is nothing but good for you. She even offered it at the end of the war.

24. - Top - End - #114

RedWizardGuy

I've always wondered if Qaf was a warden of the Yozis, not a fellow prisoner. He's in his own pocket universe and doesn't seem to be suffering much.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ettin in the Playground

Hell is only particularly awful and horrible for Malfeas himself and for demons of the 1st circle.

Most of the other Yozis are just locked in there, but generally not in continuous physical agony.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

26. - Top - End - #116
    Titan in the Playground

Guys, is the Diablo 3 Monk inspired by Exalted?

I noticed that they keep going on about being champions of the gods, have supernatural, holy martial arts, skills such as Exalted Spirit which give additional reservoirs of holy power, and of course have access to a class specific headgear which can resemble a golden sunburst affixed to their forehead.

So the similarities are obviously there, I was wondering if anyone has Word of God to the effect that yes, Exalted was a source of inspiration/homage.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

27. - Top - End - #117

Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    Guys, is the Diablo 3 Monk inspired by Exalted?

I noticed that they keep going on about being champions of the gods, have supernatural, holy martial arts, skills such as Exalted Spirit which give additional reservoirs of holy power, and of course have access to a class specific headgear which can resemble a golden sunburst affixed to their forehead.

So the similarities are obviously there, I was wondering if anyone has Word of God to the effect that yes, Exalted was a source of inspiration/homage.
    There's a cycle of cause and effect that gets rather confused. Championing the Gods has always been around, as well as the format used in eastern religions that the Monk uses. Same with the jewelry.

Quote Originally Posted by Rikandur Azebol View Post
    Learn, yes she couldn't ... develop, probably as E6+ shaenigans since Solar Shard thematics are built around guy who looks normally like tentacle Godzilla.

But creative use of what you have ? I think it should work. For example Archery charms could be used with breath weapon, as it is ranged weapon like any other. Emulating dragon-fear with Mob Dispersing Rebuke was also fun.
    That's complicated. Sol having other forms does not figure into solar exaltations. What he poured in was the whole arete thing. The exaltations work from a baseline human form. Natural, not-human stuff cannot have solar charms made for it.
    It's not that current charms don't work, but they work as sheer happenstance. Excellencies still work for example. But no MA charm for extra-tentacly grapples.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm of the opinion that Solar Exaltations are more thematically flavored by the Unconquered Sun; an actual Solar Exaltation is, thematically, what you'd get if Humanity was a Primordial and you were acting within it's potential (not actual) themes.

Actually, if you worked within Humanity's actual themes, what kind of charms would you be getting? Easily Crushed Sutra? Like Tissue Paper Understanding? Hide and Pray Shintai?

I kinda wish I knew more of the Exalted rules set, so that I could Devil-Tiger this...
    Last edited by Amechra; 2012-10-25 at 07:49 AM.

29. - Top - End - #119

Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post
    I'm of the opinion that Solar Exaltations are more thematically flavored by the Unconquered Sun; an actual Solar Exaltation is, thematically, what you'd get if Humanity was a Primordial and you were acting within it's potential (not actual) themes.

Actually, if you worked within Humanity's actual themes, what kind of charms would you be getting? Easily Crushed Sutra? Like Tissue Paper Understanding? Hide and Pray Shintai?

I kinda wish I knew more of the Exalted rules set, so that I could Devil-Tiger this...
    Forget primordials. Exalted is a game about how awesome humans are!

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ettin in the Playground

Ah, but I want to Devil Tiger humanity...

They'd get an Essence 6 charm that let's Essence 3 Enlightened Mortals hit Essence 4 without dying!

And just as a note... could Solars design charms that make them better Prayer Batteries? After all, it is something that humans are...