New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: General Exalted Discussion XII: One More and Get a Free Deathlord

Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    Sure she can: Other exalted. She's got some of her own after all (admittedly once removed). And it's already been demonstrated that her exalted can Zerg Rush celestials even at their most powerful.

And now I'm stuck with the mental image of a hundred thousand dragonblooded rushing into Meru during the usurpation shouting "KEKEKEKE!"
    Could she do it alone though? She could likely overcharge the Terrestrials, but making new ones? Also, the DBs did have help from the Sidereals.
    Many, many thanks to azuyomi244 for the avatar.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Exthalion View Post
    If the humans are championed by the Exalted I don't think Gaia can design a more fit predator. What then?
    Solar Host, meet Dragon Host with full Primordial Power.

At that point, it's less zerglings rushing and more ultralisks. With battlecruisers strapped to their backs riding on top of archons.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: 7.

Factors: 2.

Wealth: 5

Magic: 4

Espionage: 4

Military: 2.

Faith: 6.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ogre in the Playground

So I'm going to pose a question to you guys that has been bugging me for a while.

Is Batman a Night Caste Solar with the Joker being his (next thing to) Chimera Lunar Mate? Or is he a Bat Totem Full Moon with the Joker being his Scourge Caste Infernal Mate?

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ettin in the Playground

inb4 meschlum:

They're a pair of Raksha.
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

5. - Top - End - #155
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomePirate

True, Batman isn't insane. In the Great Curse sense.
    Youth and strenght alvays lose to age and treachery.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rikandur Azebol View Post
    True, Batman isn't insane. In the Great Curse sense.
    Oh, Batman is definitely affected by the Great Curse. He gains Limit whenever a new author starts writing for him; his Limit Break involves drastic personality changes and out-of-character actions, generally lasting a single issue (but potentially as long as the current author's entire run).

All comic book superheroes have this Virtue Flaw, actually.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

7. - Top - End - #157
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I'm looking for a play-by-post Exalted game, and I've found two proposals, here and on Mythweavers. But they're both looking for STs as well as players, and having trouble finding one. This got me thinking about what experience you have to have to be an ST. Presumably you need to have played a complete game as a player before running one as an ST. Or maybe you can just learn as you go, and accept the higher workload.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ogre in the Playground

Well if no one ever ran a game without having played one before then no games would ever be played. Still, having some experience with the system is recommended for an ST.
    Last edited by Sanguine; 2012-10-26 at 03:33 AM.

9. - Top - End - #159

RedWizardGuy

True. But I think the play-by-post format makes it more challenging to be an ST. The constant communication in a face-to-face game would make it easier to run - there's less opportunity for confusion and mistakes can be corrected faster. I suspect most of the play-by-post STs got their start on face-to-face games, although I can't know for sure.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Turalisj View Post
    Solar Host, meet Dragon Host with full Primordial Power.

At that point, it's less zerglings rushing and more ultralisks. With battlecruisers strapped to their backs riding on top of archons.
    Assertion is not Evidence. I could say, "1 Sidereal Uses the capstone charm of 'Extinction of the Living World' an SMA just for this purpose, which allows an attack against Gaia's fetich from anywhere which they combo with GET."

This isn't directed at you specifically, but it does seem to be a problem around here.
    Last edited by Exthalion; 2012-10-26 at 04:30 AM.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth3 View Post
    True. But I think the play-by-post format makes it more challenging to be an ST. The constant communication in a face-to-face game would make it easier to run - there's less opportunity for confusion and mistakes can be corrected faster. I suspect most of the play-by-post STs got their start on face-to-face games, although I can't know for sure.
    For myself, as awful an ST as I am in either medium, I find that PbP is quite a bit easier than face to face. For one thing, it gives you the time to plot and plan, time which any ST worth their salt will use to weave schemes incapable of failing, drawing all Creation into their net!

You do need to understand that things move slowly. Expect a single scene to take weeks or, in extreme cases, months to resolve. Give as much agency to your players as you can. If possible, make use of chat software so you can communicate in realtime, even if actual play remains PbP.

Others can do better with general advice for running Exalted, or for running PbP, or for doing both together. Not much point in me telling you any of this, really. But that's my token contribution.
    If I creep into your house in the dead of night and strangle you while you sleep, you probably messed up your grammar.

I'm always extremely careful to hedge myself against absolute statements.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth3 View Post
    I suspect most of the play-by-post STs got their start on face-to-face games, although I can't know for sure.
    I'm not sure that's true; many people turn to PbP because they don't have RL gaming groups, particularly with less popular (read: not D&D games). In any case, GMing a game in person and GMing a game online are different kettles of fish. Online play demands writing ability rather than acting; it gives you more time to think and plan between posts, but presents challenges with pacing and keeping players active and interested. Playing in person demands more ability to improvise and think on the fly.

There is some overlap, and I'm sure having experience in one medium helps a little with the other, but I don't know if I'd say that one is objectively harder than the other. Depends on your preferences, really.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

13. - Top - End - #163
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sanguine View Post
    So I'm going to pose a question to you guys that has been bugging me for a while.

Is Batman a Night Caste Solar with the Joker being his (next thing to) Chimera Lunar Mate? Or is he a Bat Totem Full Moon with the Joker being his Scourge Caste Infernal Mate?
    Nah, he's a Third Circle Soul, or possibly a jouten.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

14. - Top - End - #164
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    And now I'm stuck with the mental image of a hundred thousand dragonblooded rushing into Meru during the usurpation shouting "KEKEKEKE!"
    This is why I love you.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

15. - Top - End - #165

RedWizardGuy

Thanks for the feedback. I might volunteer to be ST if the games go long enough without finding one.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Titan in the Playground

So, I've been considering a terrible idea.

Imagine no Green Sun Princes. Instead, the yozi have been creating Akuma with a little more freedom, letting their own personalities twist their goals, and allowing this freedom to render them safe if the Incarnae order them retreived.

Would anyone be up for a game where you play Dragonblooded Akuma? Your urge would be a variation on 'Work towards the freedom and safety of (patron yozi) as best you can'

This is just checking if there'd be interest.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Titan in the Playground

I'd be interested, but I'm not sure I'd have the time.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post

Imagine no Green Sun Princes. Instead, the yozi have been creating Akuma with a little more freedom, letting their own personalities twist their goals, and allowing this freedom to render them safe if the Incarnae order them retreived.

Would anyone be up for a game where you play Dragonblooded Akuma? Your urge would be a variation on 'Work towards the freedom and safety of (patron yozi) as best you can'

Yes. All my interest. The idea of corrupted Dragon-Blooded working for the release of the Yozis is a very interesting concept. And it even makes sense, since it allows for considerably greater numbers of forces in service to the Yozis.
    "Not trusting me might be the smartest decision you made since getting off of your horse."

Avatar by Ifni, who is rightly awesome.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground

Absolutely interested.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

20. - Top - End - #170

Sure, sounds like it would be interesting.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ogre in the Playground

My interest. It has been captured.

22. - Top - End - #172

Assertion is not Evidence. I could say, "1 Sidereal Uses the capstone charm of 'Extinction of the Living World' an SMA just for this purpose, which allows an attack against Gaia's fetich from anywhere which they combo with GET."
    But you'd be wrong, as Ghost-Eating Technique is a Solar Charm.

Plus, as badly-written as SMAs are, it probably wouldn't be Combo-OK.
    It is inevitable, of course, that persons of epicurean refinement will in the course of eternity engage in dealings with those of... unsavory character. Record well any transactions made, and repay all favors promptly.. (Thanks to Gnomish Wanderer for the Toreador avatar! )

Wanna see what all this Exalted stuff is about? Here's a primer!

23. - Top - End - #173

Has anybody written Sidereal Martial Art styles that are actually decent? I'm kind of fond of Prismatic Arrangement of Creation style myself, but the other canon styles don't really grab my interest (or are so hilariously broken it's almost unreal).
    "Not trusting me might be the smartest decision you made since getting off of your horse."

Avatar by Ifni, who is rightly awesome.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Titan in the Playground

Interested, yes. I was wondering why the Yozis didn't just give their Akuma wider Urges, I mean they've had thousands of years to come up with some Urges that would work….
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

25. - Top - End - #175
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Interested, yes. I was wondering why the Yozis didn't just give their Akuma wider Urges, I mean they've had thousands of years to come up with some Urges that would work….
    See earlier discussion re: "Primordials are not human".

They think differently to us. Something that seems obvious to a human may not be obvious to a Primordial, and vice versa.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

26. - Top - End - #176
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Angst and rage are not efficient emotions. So they haven't really had thousands of years, they've been busy being all insane and stuff.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

27. - Top - End - #177

Quote Originally Posted by Maugan Ra View Post
    Has anybody written Sidereal Martial Art styles that are actually decent?
    Sapphire Veils of Passion Style, from GotMH: Maidens.

Quote Originally Posted by Maugan Ra View Post
    I'm kind of fond of Prismatic Arrangement of Creation style myself, but the other canon styles don't really grab my interest (or are so hilariously broken it's almost unreal).
    Eh, even PAoC is pretty bad as far as balance goes.
    Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 2012-10-26 at 04:59 PM.
    It is inevitable, of course, that persons of epicurean refinement will in the course of eternity engage in dealings with those of... unsavory character. Record well any transactions made, and repay all favors promptly.. (Thanks to Gnomish Wanderer for the Toreador avatar! )

28. - Top - End - #178
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
    But you'd be wrong, as Ghost-Eating Technique is a Solar Charm.

Plus, as badly-written as SMAs are, it probably wouldn't be Combo-OK.
    You seem to be missing my point. I was giving an example of how it is easy to say any bs you like, but doing so doesn't make it real. You have to give evidence as well.

29. - Top - End - #179

You seem to be missing my point. I was giving an example of how it is easy to say any bs you like, but doing so doesn't make it real. You have to give evidence as well.
    Nah, I was just poking fun, hence the "" smiley.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Titan in the Playground

Actually, it doesn't work because Terminal Sanction (the Sidereal GET) is based on treaties and so only works on Gods, Elementals, and Demons (which Gaia and her souls are explicitly not). So you have to teach a solar to do it instead. Or a lunar akuma. Actually, that's probably the best and most ironic option, and I'm pretty sure the yozis would be willing to loan an akuma to the task of ganking gaia.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.