New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 52 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: [4E] RB DND Campaign, Thread Six

Felix reads over the paper, then folds it back up and puts it into her pocket (since she's not in armor right now). She then coughs slightly "...okay then. So...Adalhard. I know that you're..in mourning, but I have to ask. Can you tell us about Ilya? You mentioned your wife, she died 20 years ago, and that's...far too long ago for Ilya to have been, well, born from her. But we uh..asked Carric last night, and he assured us she was of your blood. And..." she looks over to Juniper and Bast "I think you might go a long way towards being trusted if you told us. I'm sorry"

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ettin in the Playground

Adalhard adds a minuscule amount of Alchemical Frost to his tea and chucks it all in one go.

He takes a deep breath.

"It is both something very complex and something very simple I'm afraid. Her full name is Alexandra Ilyasviel Adeldóttir; she has seven years, five more until she starts having open manifestations of either of the bloods running through her.

To properly understand the situation you need to comprehend what blood means in the Seasonal Courts. Each was born from the blood a God; those whose blood was blessed by Pelor, one that actually shines and burns, remained at the lands in the south and became the Summer Court; those blessed by Sehanine and whose blood is orange and slow moving migrated to the west and became the Autumn Court; the ones who remained with Corellon instead where rewarded with green and fast moving blood, they went east into an endless spring and became the Spring Court; finally, those who worshipped the goddess of winter, the Raven Queen, where given blueish blood which froze if left unflowing, they marched north and became the Winter Court. Each of those whose blood had been changed received a name for it, with time those became the noble lineages.

With time this new blood became enmixed with the magic of the fey; the sons of summer became marked by bright golden hair and fiery powers, the sons of autumn with reddish hair and mastery of the depths of the mind, the offspring of spring with hair as brown as the land where their verdant fields grew and control over lighting, the offspring of winter with hair as white as snow and control over the aspects of their season.

This blood however has a price. It burns and consumes until the recipient is in tune with it, it takes stronger magic to make it recede and even then it is exhausting and futile. The stronger the blood the more it is obvious, it also means the greater the power behind and the greater the importance of such. Ritters have to actively try for their features to change, Barons barely get to a midway, but starting from Counts they have to fight the change, the greater the power of the blood the greater the power of the individual to keep itself unchanged; Dukes can't fathom anything but the colour their blood imposes unless they are willing to risk death due to exhaustion; no Great Count, no matter their power has been able to keep himself unchanged.

When blood mixes at birth it is a delicate event in which eventually only one remains predominant even if the child has the ability of both. This blood is extremely magical, it not only has the original magic upon the original recipient but the power of two sources, this lead to extraordinary individuals, both from different sources and from a similar origin. The magic inside is perhaps more powerful than that which the individual will be able to produce in his entire live for most cases.

Now, consider the corrupting influence of the Shadowfell, the rotting carcass of a Primordial, Düsterkeit; a being capable of creating gods. It is not only capable of corruption as it normally does but of almost literally everything. From records it is possible to believe it could eventually acquire sentience due to the sheer amount of magic in it. The plane itself is the counterpart to the Feywild, to this measure it is also able to produce a similar degree of creation magic, it just doesn't.

The only missing component are both the prelude and the catastrophe.

The Raven Queen, or the meeting with her is the starting point. The name she called me is unfitting of me; it took me a considerable amount of time to understand what it meant, or rather what it signified. Tranquil Field of Snow, in the dialect of the Winter Ancestors, is Schnefeldstil; this in turn made little sense, it is the last name of a ducal lineage, the dukes of Schnefeldstil. They are, or were, however all dead; the last of them was my wife; Cassandra, Duchess of Schnefeldstil; who died nearly 20 years ago on the night of the Silent Uprising. At first I believed it to be what is known as an "enblooding" which is the procedure under which noteworthy individuals acquire blood through a mean different of birth. The first men and women of the winter where enblooded by the Raven Queen, and through history it has been a rare but real procedure. In the case of already noble blooded individuals however this procedure is slightly different. When one is born with magic blood there are obvious signs, in the case of the Seasonal Courts it is called the Mother Circle, it lies on the back, it is always the symbol of the primogenial ancestor, or the first enblooded hero of a lineage; additionally there is the Mark of Belonging which lies on the eye, always on the eye belonging to the sword hand of the original hero, it is worn both by those on the lineage as those they give titles to or particularly exemplar servants of them. When one is enblooded one must rid itself from his previous Mother Circle so that the new blood can properly mark the body, the newer stronger blood will drown out the one before it.

The first night I rid myself from my previous marking; the procedure is not exactly painless and requires bleeding to near exsanguination. This of course is only the prelude. The next day was the day in which I travelled to the Cathedral for the research on a cure for Miss Halfcrescent; at the end of which Elden produced a considered amount of flowers on my room, of which I only left two on the ground based on bibliographical references to this being the break point at which it could only become violent but not monstrous to any degree.

However, I forgot the considerable amount of blood lying on the ground bellow the floor and on the floor boards themselves.
    The plants themselves where nothing but an intermediary that did not intervene in the final procedure, the mix between bloods when touched by the influence of the Shadowfell harnessed it instead of allowing itself to be corrupted and formed a conscience; however, the Shadowfell had already perverted the plants which with the added capabilities of the blood managed to grow beyond it's possibilities. At this point the conscience or soul took over the plant as a temporary vessel and due to an intrinsic nature of self sustenance began looking for materials to consume, eventually growing in size while looking for the source of its blood.

The final realisation came inside the inn when I first talked to Ilya with Carric by my side. She was an independent entity merely using the plant as a temporary vessel, at that moment she could barely control the wholeness of it and the influence of the Shadowfell was starting to leak into her. The only proof I needed was the integrity of her conscience being different from that of the plant and the Test of Blood; she managed to prove to me both and to that I accepted her and she opened the way for us to the roof. From then on, all events are known to you.

She couldn't understand the effect of her actions while inside her previous vessel, she was only searching for me. The plant itself, the actually corrupt entity lies dead. That is all which has transpired, if I could ask of any more proof she has already provided; she can wield Almacia without the gaping crystals of ice tearing her apart, not only this but she can control the magic inside it better than I could at the age of 180; her hair is already becoming that of winter before she even hints the marks of her parents; I can extend my marking into her seamlessly and coordinate our Fey Stepping which is something one can only do with those of their immediate proximity, parents and sons at most, grandparents are already incapable of doing this; finally, on the short time we've been together I have been nothing but a parent to her and she has been nothing but a daughter to me, the short time we've spent in this decaying plane has been the most joyful time I have spent in my two hundred and ten years of living, if that is not enough, than nothing will be."
    The Iron Avatarist Crypt of Fame - Exorcising photobucket from the historic archives of the forum.
    Go and went by many names Ast, Avgvst, Pink-Haired August, araveugnitsuga and nowadays AsteriskAmp.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Firbolg in the Playground

If she's not the plant, how did she spring up, and then gain control of the plant?
    Spoiler: This signature is a historical relic from a long-ago time of regular forum activity.
    Show
    Aww man! Even all the witty self referencing sigs are gone now!
    Excellent Avatar by CheesePirate, Awesome banners by Pink Haired August

Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ettin in the Playground

"She formed from the blood overtaking the influence of the Shadowfell and using its power to form a soul, it was merely using the plant as a temporary vessel; it however could not fully control it when it started getting out of hand in terms of size; the monstrous plant we fought in the roof and slayed was the flowers which where corrupted by the Shadowfell and used the blood to overcome their growth threshold. Ilya is the conscience that formed and then survived by remaining in the plant.

She then allowed us access to the roof unimpeded to finish of the corrupted vessel she could hardly control."
    Last edited by AsteriskAmp; 2012-10-26 at 12:35 AM.
    The Iron Avatarist Crypt of Fame - Exorcising photobucket from the historic archives of the forum.
    Go and went by many names Ast, Avgvst, Pink-Haired August, araveugnitsuga and nowadays AsteriskAmp.

5. - Top - End - #65

Felix stares at Ilya with quite a lot of shock, and says "I...wow. That...that's amazing. All my time here, I've never heard of this happening." She smiles, and glances over to Juniper "I guess hope sprung forth, huh"

Ilya smiles politely and says "Thank you very much, everyone one"

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

Well, Shadowfell or not, plants that size won't usually spring from the blood-stained earth to start with, so that's hardly surprising.

Elden removes the spoon from the cup and places his hand over it. Faint streaks of steam flows up from between his fingers.
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

7. - Top - End - #67

Juniper returns Felix's smile. Aye. Even in the thickest brambles, a seed of hope can be found.
    He turns to Adalhard, sipping his tea. A fascinating and truly fantastic tale. Time will tell if Ilya will truly have the blessing of the gods. I certainly hope so.

Blue Ghost, Lawful Good generalist wizard, at your service.
    Love wins. S'agapo.

I make MtG cards. My portfolio

8. - Top - End - #68

To Elden, Felix says "Yha. I knew the plants here could get feral, but...never anything this monstrous. Which is part of why Commander Theolon wants to show the people who slew it. This was something no one anticipated, and you guys...you stopped it." She then finishes off her cup of coffee, and adds "I'm sure she will Juniper."

Ilya sort of blushes for a moment, quite noticible on her more pale skin, and finishs her tea.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ettin in the Playground

"Blessed by them or not, she already is a blessing to me."

Adalhard then pats Ilya in the head.

10. - Top - End - #70

"Thank you, father." Ilya says politely.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ettin in the Playground

"There is something in turn that I need to know.

How many people apart from those in this room know about Kalindale's death, or more specifically, how many know how and by whom he was killed?"

12. - Top - End - #72

And what makes you think you are capable of taking care of her?
    Spoiler: This signature is a historical relic from a long-ago time of regular forum activity.
    Show
    Aww man! Even all the witty self referencing sigs are gone now!
    Excellent Avatar by CheesePirate, Awesome banners by Pink Haired August

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #73

"Well, he's gone a day with her, and she's fine. That's...more most parents can say, in the Shadowfell" Felix answers.

Also, to Adalhard's question, Teodor will answer. "No one knows it was Juniper who killed him, but his remaining handmaidens know he's dead. You're thinking someone will do an investigation, aren't you" The end of his sentance is more of a statement then a question.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ettin in the Playground

"I'm the only person she has in this realm of existence; I can provide her with care and education, feeding and affection; I also happen to be her father."

He then looks towards Teodor.

"I do not think that; I know it. I also know who exactly is heading it and have a pretty good idea of how it is going to proceed.

You see, Kalindale was never formally exiled; whilst he was no longer the heir, he could not be stripped of his title or his rank by anyone other than a unanimous council of his equals. His equals are the Council of Dukes, and when it refers to unanimous it means every single one has to vote, which was and is impossible due to the fact that the last duchess of Schenfeldstil is dead with no familiar or heir to assume the title and no one single count or margrave with enough power or ambition to overtake the wholeness of the duchy and the seat of Holtsaten lacking a replacement to the late duke.

This means, Kalindale was killed a prince. Even if perhaps he was on "vacations" in the material plane and his father could no longer keep him under control, he was still the prince; and, in the Feywild, peace comes at a balance of powers. Kalindale is the Great Count of Summer's nephew, he himself was the heir to the Great County of Winter, he is betrothed to a princess of Spring, and finally, Astolph, Kalindale's younger brother and current heir to the Great County, is to wed a princess of Autumn in less than a decade. The Drow Courts also uphold a commercial peace with the Seasonal Courts. This means, if something is discovered, there will be no safe haven; the death of a high noble at the hands of outsiders is, even with circumstances considered, something that will not see trial but direct execution or extradition to a place that will.

The someone behind the investigation is most probably going to be the son of the Count of Chernalov, Dmitri Chernalov, better known as Carrot-Nose Vodkanov. Regardless of this, he is an implacable man; systematic to no end and one of the most brilliant Commanders of the Mistral Guard; even with his inability to tolerate any amount of alcohol before ending up as a living snowman. Right now odds are he is already in the Material Plane with a contingent searching for the handmaidens; his procedures are those of the Eladrin military, which, does not bode well if he is to find them and they prove uncooperative."
    Last edited by AsteriskAmp; 2012-10-27 at 04:04 PM.

15. - Top - End - #75

Juniper groans. Well, that's not good. If I'm the one they're after, you should be safe, right?

Love wins. S'agapo.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ettin in the Playground

"I'm afraid that's not the case. All of those involved will be executed after a "trial"; that includes me as well for not reporting this."
    Last edited by AsteriskAmp; 2012-10-27 at 05:14 PM.

17. - Top - End - #77

Juniper sighs heavily. Is the whole Feywild this thick-headed? Kalindale was a diabolist and a murderer; he needed to be stopped. Surely there is someone who would understand the situation and plead for us?

Love wins. S'agapo.

18. - Top - End - #78

For a moment, Felix's eyes go wide "Tha..no, there's no way. No fair ruler would do something like that. Not at all."
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2012-10-27 at 05:44 PM.

19. - Top - End - #79

History check on Feywild politics:

(d20+11)[19]

Love wins. S'agapo.

20. - Top - End - #80

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Ghost View Post
    History check on Feywild politics:

[roll0]
    Juniper:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You're actually fairly sure Adalhard is being accurate. However, the trial wouldn't be a mock trial as he's implying. You're confident you'd have your time to say your side of the story.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ettin in the Playground

"It is not thick-headedness, it is the fact that there was no trial to properly prove he was a murderer or a diabolist, that and the fact that he is the son of the Great Count. For all they know and will care, it was cold blooded murder of a Fey High Noble. There is no way to prove he was crazy or evil, the handmaidens will be mocked and their honour dragged through the ground, any testimony not from a noble will be mocked and called unreliable. It doesn't help that a noble will be presiding and any of them would benefit from convicting the murderers of the son of the Great Count.

There are several someones. But even then, it is not a trivial matter; the only one whose word will matter is Astolph. There are two possibilities at that point; pleading to him, or finding the phylactery before it matters.

Countess Strahovsky has been doing me the favour of searching for bibliography since I left Ashen Snow; as soon as Lenore comes for due correspondence I'll ask the countess to also send a letter to a mentor of mine on the farther reaches of the Winter Court who is rather knowledgeable in dealings with "supranormals", outsiders, the more complex undeads and beings from the Far Realm.

The most simple solution is for me to explain the situation for Astolph and ask him to look for Kalindale rather than investigate his death; I already owe him my life, so pleading again won't at least find me debtor to a new noble. It also might lead to the location of a phylactery on the Material Plane considering he now trawls as a Revenant on the lich side... for the time."
    Last edited by AsteriskAmp; 2012-10-27 at 05:43 PM.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

Seems like we have to move fast, then. Luckily for us, the trail ends in Barricade without any witnesses to tell where we went, and it'll hopefully take their eyes and ears long enough to pick up our current trail for us to get on the interplanar road again. Being publicly declared as heroes won't help us much in that regard, but being incooperative won't get us off this place to start with, so I think we'll just have to tag along.

And Adalhard, can Lenore be traced? Because I'd rather not have her followed by an eladrin strike team if it can be avoided.

Show

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ettin in the Playground

"Lenore can't and won't be traced; Chernalov knows well enough that noble's familiar require for a formal accusation to be made if they are to be inspected, not to mention tracing of the interplanar movement of her would be akin to tracking fey stepping; the trace lasts ten minutes at most and even then the destination is not predictable, just the event.

And indeed, haste is of the essence. There is still the matter of the landing of the portal. The Drow Courts are a death sentence, we are by far too odd not to garner attention and the Drow know well how to profit from information; not to mention we'd be too far south to do anything if the investigation does resolve into something tangible.

Of the Seasonal Court our ironic best bet is the Winter Court. There the two most tempting choices are Flieder in the south eastern border, the capital of the duchy and the margravate of Schenfeldstil, if only due to the absence of a major political authority and the existence of a housing solution which would allow us to be in relative privacy and under low profile; and Ährenot, the capital of the county of Strahovsky and part of the duchy of Holtsaten, the city has a good number of inns and we could expect a moderate grade of safeness in it, it is also rather close to the only trustworthy political ally of ours at the moment."

24. - Top - End - #84

Ilya raises a hand "I'd like to go see my house, at the very least. If that's ok"

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ettin in the Playground

Adalhard softly smiles at Ilya

"That'd be Flieder my snowflake. And we'll be living there after all is over little lilac, so getting there faster isn't that important."

26. - Top - End - #86

Ilya smiles back "Ok. It's best if we were to be safe first. I'm worried about Uncle Elden and the others."

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

Going to the Feywild now would be pointless, because our only reason to do so wouldn't let us remain hidden and stationary to start with. Let's keep going until they find us, and pray that we'll be strong enough to recieve them when they do.

Show

28. - Top - End - #88

"I'll try to help with that, however I can" Felix says. She then says "Also...if need be, I'm sure Ledia would be able to modify the scroll so it sends you to the Natural plane. Then you could find a way to the Feywild from there. Might be safer"

29. - Top - End - #89

I agree. We don't even know where our quarry is. Going to the Feywild would be needlessly endangering ourselves.

Love wins. S'agapo.

30. - Top - End - #90

Teodor finishes off his coffee, and says "When we're done with our little buisness here, I've got a feeling we'll have some idea of where to go. Carric will get his memory back, and if he WAS an ally of the Lich, he'd probably know some information about it."