Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    WolfInSheepsClothing

    Join Date
    Oct 2012

    Question V's gender - released by the giant himself?

    First I just want to point out that I've only been reading Oots about a year or two. I joined the kickstarter and got all the books and am re-reading through everything. I'm not saying we could gather from in character mentions the gender/sex (I understand that can be a debate of it's own) of V - but I think we may know from the creators own words...

    Now, in Book 2 "No Cure for the Paladin Blues" there is a paragraph (before comic 174a) where Rich is writing about "The Lizard Who Roared". Now I'm not sure if this has been brought up before (there are a lot of threads and a lot of posts) so please forgive me if this has been brought up before. The second and third paragraphs refer (and I'm only using a small bit) to V. "When he's first transformed, he spells out three spells that he can still cast." "...he finds uses for all three..."

    Thoughts/considerations? If this has been brought up before, please let me and everyone else who may be looking into this know.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Lira's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007

    Default Re: V's gender - released by the giant himself?

    It's been brought up many, many times before. Rich himself said that he used "he" simply because it was easier than using he/she all the time*. He said it doesn't mean anything.

    *And I think also because in the English language, "he" is technically supposed to be the appropriate pronoun to use when the gender of a person is unknown.
    Last edited by Lira; 2012-10-21 at 10:00 PM.
    Credits to half-halfling for my adorable avatar.

    ...............................................

    Come visit the Discussion Thread Index II.
    Looking for a new webcomic to read? Take a look at the Webcomic List.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2007

    Default Re: V's gender - released by the giant himself?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lira View Post
    *And I think also because in the English language, "he" is technically supposed to be the appropriate pronoun to use when the gender of a person is unknown.
    He can be used as a Gender Neutral pronoun yes though it's fallen out of fashion because it's not "PC".

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Ravens_cry's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008

    Default Re: V's gender - released by the giant himself?

    I personally use a singular they in such a role, which has its own history.
    That being said, I think of V as male and homosexual.
    Though a certain guest strip (likely not canon) seems to suggest they are some kind of hermaphrodite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Lira's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007

    Default Re: V's gender - released by the giant himself?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tebryn View Post
    He can be used as a Gender Neutral pronoun yes though it's fallen out of fashion because it's not "PC".
    And because it's simply a terrible way of referring to a person when you don't know their gender. When someone says "he" we all think "male" not "male or someone whose gender is unknown".
    Credits to half-halfling for my adorable avatar.

    ...............................................

    Come visit the Discussion Thread Index II.
    Looking for a new webcomic to read? Take a look at the Webcomic List.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2007

    Default Re: V's gender - released by the giant himself?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lira View Post
    And because it's simply a terrible way of referring to a person when you don't know their gender. When someone says "he" we all think "male" not "male or someone whose gender is unknown".
    Well, not to get into a semantic argument here but I guess I am going to. That's obviously untrue considering that it was used as a Gender Neutral Pronoun up until recently. So at least until recent times, people were able to parse it out as "He" can mean "A male or a gender unknown". It wouldn't have been the popular term if people thought of it as one but not the other. It has only been in recent history that we've started to distinguish that He is meant as exclusively a Male. But it's still in use. I still use He to be Gender Neutral and Male Gender. I understand when you say "All" you don't actually mean every English Speaker in existence but it's not like it's a minority usage even today. Read a teaching manual printed after the 1980's and He is still used to denote the general Person regardless of gender.

    In fact. We've got an example of someone who uses He to refer to a person as gender neutral. The Giant. In the example above.
    Last edited by Tebryn; 2012-10-22 at 01:57 AM.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Imp

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: V's gender - released by the giant himself?

    The Swedes started using hen as a gender neutral pronoun.
    Giant could always adopt that.

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    The Succubus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: V's gender - released by the giant himself?

    Quote Originally Posted by Xelbiuj View Post
    The Swedes started using hen as a gender neutral pronoun.
    Giant could always adopt that.
    Sounds a like a chicken way to avoid the issue though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dallas-Dakota View Post
    Succubus gets grongratulatory cookies from me. You have stepped into the realm of puns that only the likes of Death, Your Friend the Reaper have seen.

    Posting schedule likely to be erratic for the next few weeks - sorting out some personal stuff.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Winter's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2012

    Default Re: V's gender - released by the giant himself?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Succubus View Post
    Sounds a like a chicken way to avoid the issue though.
    He is not avoiding the issue out of shyness, but because wants to let it stay ambiguous. For fun - and also because "gender" should not always define who we are. I find Vaarsuvius makes case makes that very clear.
    Male? Female? Homo-, hetero-, bi-sexual? Asexual? Who cares? It is not a defining quality of the character (any character). I find that to be a very good thing.
    Ser Ilyn, Ser Meryn, Queen Cersei, King Joffrey, The Tickler, The Hound, Ser Amory, Polliver, Raff the Sweetling, Weese, Dunsen, Nale, Ser Gregor Clegane and Chiswyck: Winter is coming!

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    WolfInSheepsClothing

    Join Date
    Oct 2012

    Default Re: V's gender - released by the giant himself?

    I do want to thank everyone for their replies, and especially letting me know that it had previously been addressed by Rich himself and what was said.

    The other thing, and why this has generally begun such a huge debate, (as I read, there were four other threads - the last closed because it reached over 50 pages) is because we as gamers tend to want to know something that is hidden from us. It's in our blood as "born adventurers" to seek and find the unknown. V's gender is sort of like the MITD except it's more openly mocked that we, the readers, have no guarantee to ever find out. Good job Rich!

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Imp

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: V's gender - released by the giant himself?

    Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    He is not avoiding the issue out of shyness, but because wants to let it stay ambiguous. For fun - and also because "gender" should not always define who we are. I find Vaarsuvius makes case makes that very clear.
    Male? Female? Homo-, hetero-, bi-sexual? Asexual? Who cares? It is not a defining quality of the character (any character). I find that to be a very good thing.
    I agree with this.
    I like the theory that hes in a homosexual relationship and they had to adopt, hence their children's skin tones.
    In real life, most people would let this define them or other people would do it for them, not with V though.

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    pffh's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009

    Default Re: V's gender - released by the giant himself?

    Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    He is not avoiding the issue out of shyness, but because wants to let it stay ambiguous. For fun - and also because "gender" should not always define who we are. I find Vaarsuvius makes case makes that very clear.
    Male? Female? Homo-, hetero-, bi-sexual? Asexual? Who cares? It is not a defining quality of the character (any character). I find that to be a very good thing.
    A hen is a female chicken. I do believe that the comment by Succubus was a pun or a play on words.
    "Elephant trunks should be used for elephant things only. Nothing else."

    Thank you Geomancer for the Death avatar.

    My lets plays:
    Alien vs Predator: marine chapter - Completed
    Singularity - Canceled

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •