Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 66
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Komodo's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Sunny Florida

    Default The Man With No Words (IC)

    It had been an unusually foggy morning.

    In spite of that, the bazaar was still expecting to go according to plan. Perhaps there would be less vendors, and definitely fewer buyers, but it was still a very profitable venture for the local farms, and there would still be many disappointed citizens if the market day was canceled.

    And, to be sure, it started out promising enough. Steven Black was overseeing some of his fellow workers setting up stalls of produce and their famous fresh milk, aided (perhaps reluctantly) by his daughter, Allison. The dim scene was given a bit of extra brightness by another young girl, one with a young face whose eyes had seen hardships, as she began strumming on a guitar and singing softly. The guitar case in front of her would hopefully have enough of other people’s generosity in it to get her through the week.

    Also entering the scene were two others. One was a strikingly pretty young lady to whom fortune had been kind, coming today, as many did, to take her mind of other worries, although hers were heavier than others might guess. Also present was a worker, a foreign-looking man by the name of Marek Kowalski.

    Aside from these, however, there were few other guests, all of them shopping, talking, browsing, eating, or going to walk on the beach. Even in the fog, the sun still shone nicely, and the wind and water were quite peaceful.

    But the peace would not last.

    Some heard it before others. However, it was very audible before it was visible.

    Coming out of the trees from the north, making a great rustling sound, was an enormous black cloud, the width of the entire parking lot, moving with formidable speed. It was moving quickly toward the lot across the street, where all of the shoppers and vendors had parked their cars, and once it overtook that, it would quickly be upon the bazaar.

    Some people fled to the beach. Some ran toward the cloud, thinking they might reach their cars before the cloud hit them. Some people ran to the one structure on this side of the street: the Manitee café and gift shop. And some just stood there, dumbfounded.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Roll Initiative (1d10 + initiative mod), and also wits+composure. Decide your course of action
    Last edited by Komodo; 2012-10-22 at 10:52 AM.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    sun_tzu's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2006

    Default Re: The Man With No Words (IC)

    Spoiler
    Show
    Dex+Composure: (4d10)[2][7][2][7](18)
    Wits+Composure: (4d10)[6][1][5][7](19)


    Peggy had been hoping to take her mind off her worries by hitting the beach. Oh, in most respects, she had always led a charmed life...but the recent events surrounding her best friend still laid heavily on her mind. What on Earth could drive Stephanie into hiding like that? And what could frighten that private eye so much he just fled? Good Lord, Steph, what have you gotten yourself into?
    OK, no. No worrying right now. If I don't take some time to relax, I'm just going to worry myself sick. I should just HOLY HELL WHAT IS THAT?!


    Looking for the nearest cover, Peggy ran toward the café.
    Saga of Soul: Not your Typical Magical Girl Story.
    Where I Watch: My Little Pony

    Avatar by Lord Iames Osari, Grand Admiral Thrawn by Timothy Zahn. Thanks to both!

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Odentin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Man With No Words (IC)

    Spoiler
    Show
    Damn. Starting quick...

    Also, isn't init 1d10+mod?


    Init: (1d10+6)[8]
    Wits+composure: (5d10)[8][10][1][2][2](23)

    "Dad!"

    Allison moves to get Steve moving towards cover, following to make sure they both reach safety...
    -Odentin, Activist for Equestrians for Paraplegics.

    Quote Originally Posted by IRC
    [00:37] <@Ryo-Wolf> Naki: "Yay, I built this awesome encounter that is awesome and cool and is gonna be so challenging and fun and-" Odentin: "I drop all my dailies in its face." Naki: "And its already over, ****."
    [00:38] <@Naki> He does it EVERY TIME.
    [00:38] <@Naki> EVERY. GODDAMN. TIME.
    [00:38] <Odentin> Only twice....
    [00:38] <@Naki> Which has been every time!

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Komodo's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Sunny Florida

    Default Re: The Man With No Words (IC)

    Spoiler
    Show
    Odentin: Crap, you're right. Lemme fix that...

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    sun_tzu's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2006

    Default Re: The Man With No Words (IC)

    Spoiler
    Show
    OK, so I guess my initiative roll is (1d10+4)[8](12)
    Saga of Soul: Not your Typical Magical Girl Story.
    Where I Watch: My Little Pony

    Avatar by Lord Iames Osari, Grand Admiral Thrawn by Timothy Zahn. Thanks to both!

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Sep 2012

    Default Re: The Man With No Words (IC)

    Kat knew it was going to be a long day. The fog had driven a lot of listeners away, and to top it all, she didn't even have any seed money for the case. All the same, she played the guitar and sang as though she didn't have a care in the world. As a small concession to her mood, she began playing "Have You Ever Seen the Rain?". Though she's no Fogerty, the old classic always seemed to do well.

    By the time the second chorus starts, Kat has begun to relax and get into the flow.

    "I wanna know, have you ever seen the rain?
    I wanna know..."


    Shocked for a moment by the sudden appearance of the strange cloud, Kat drops the guitar into the case as gently as possible, and begins running towards the café, hoping to find shelter inside.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative:(1d10+5)[12]
    Wits+Composure:(5d10)[2][2][9][2][8](23)
    10s:(5d10)[9][7][10][7][5](38)

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Komodo's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Sunny Florida

    Default Re: The Man With No Words (IC)

    The dark cloud quickly advanced. From it came a strange sound: rumblingly loud, but strange, quick, repeating, and rather high-pitched. It soon overtook the cars, as well as the poor sod who had tried running toward his own vehicle. The cloud covered him, obscuring his fate.

    Some of the patrons of the market began running toward the café. Between them and their hope of safety stood a row of tables, baskets, and buckets that held goods for sale, and behind them, the trucks that had been used to carry the goods. And was it just the panicked imagination of the runners, or was the fog getting thicker?

    Spoiler
    Show
    Roll Dexterity+Athletics to climb over the obstacles. Wits+Survival to quickly find the fastest path through them, or Strength+Brawl to force your way through. You could go around, but that might cost you some time...

    If there's something else you might want to try, go ahead and roll it. I will just lay out the first options that come to my mind, to save time.

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    sun_tzu's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2006

    Default Re: The Man With No Words (IC)

    Oh crap oh crap oh crap...
    Running for dear life, Peggy decided to save time by leaping over the nearest table, jumping from there to the table after that, and so on until she had gotten past the obstacles.


    Spoiler
    Show
    Dexterity + Athletics: (3d10)[3][1][3](7)
    Saga of Soul: Not your Typical Magical Girl Story.
    Where I Watch: My Little Pony

    Avatar by Lord Iames Osari, Grand Admiral Thrawn by Timothy Zahn. Thanks to both!

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Morty's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Poland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Man With No Words (IC)

    Marek had been loitering around the bazaar, having come there to buy fresh food. This sort of thing was one of the few things he misses about his grandmother's home.

    Of course, all that went to hell when the... cloud appeared. Marek didn't run like all the others, though. It would have been a coward's way out, and he'd had enough of that in his life. Instead of running, he backed away slowly, trying to pierce the fog.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Kid Kris. Sigatars by Gulaghar, Kid Kris, Zefir and billtodamax, respectively.

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Odentin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Man With No Words (IC)

    Allison doesn't even flinch, running straight up a parked truck's bumper and hood to the roof, where she pauses a moment to make sure her father and his companions make it through the crowd alright before continuing off the truck and towards the cafe.

    Spoiler
    Show
    I love you, Komodo.
    Dex/Athletics: (8d10)[1][10][1][6][4][6][5][1](34)
    -Odentin, Activist for Equestrians for Paraplegics.

    Quote Originally Posted by IRC
    [00:37] <@Ryo-Wolf> Naki: "Yay, I built this awesome encounter that is awesome and cool and is gonna be so challenging and fun and-" Odentin: "I drop all my dailies in its face." Naki: "And its already over, ****."
    [00:38] <@Naki> He does it EVERY TIME.
    [00:38] <@Naki> EVERY. GODDAMN. TIME.
    [00:38] <Odentin> Only twice....
    [00:38] <@Naki> Which has been every time!

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Komodo's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Sunny Florida

    Default Re: The Man With No Words (IC)

    As the group of runners reached the stalls, the noise coming from the cloud became louder, and clearer. Could it be...?

    Spoiler
    Show
    Everyone's character may know what is written within except for sun_tsu's, who failed his wits+composure roll. I won't demand secrecy, just note that for roleplaying purposes.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Caws. The air around the advancing cloud was reverberating with the sound of a massive flock of crows or ravens, as well as the beating sound of their wings. It had not been clear before because of the sheer magnitude of the sound. There must have been thousands of them, and indeed, the runners began to see outlier blackbirds out of the corner of their eyes.


    Peggy quickly hopped onto a table, trying to bound over it. However, as she went, her foot caught on the handle of a basket of fresh fruit. As she tried to correct her balance, her other foot left the table, and she fell on the round flat on her face. Take one point of bashing damage.

    Kat began moving through the stalls, carefully stepping around tables and over buckets while still going as fast as possible. Her steps moved with a surprising grace, and she bypassed the obstacles quickly. (Four successes on wits+survival roll) On the other side, she was joined in her running by a man no older than herself.
    He seemed to be taking the whole event much more jovially than others were. As they ran, he whistled loudly. It took her a second, but then Kat realized: he was whistling the tune to "Have You Ever Seen the Rain?" The lad winked at Kat, then ran on ahead.

    Marek moved forward more easily, less concerned with speed and more with discovery. As he moved past a truck, he turned his head and gazed into the depths of the raven-cloud...
    Spoiler
    Show
    One Success on a wits+investigation roll. Feel free to look, but only Morty's character knows this...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Marek looked at the cloud, large enough to hold hundreds of thousands of ravens. He noticed that it was not just birds within: the cloud of ravens was intermixed with a dark mist like smoke, that from a greater distance could conceal the avians within. His eye was then caught by motion: close to the ground, there was a space where the ravens were much more thickly concentrated than elsewhere. The birds were flying a bit more erratically there. It seemed as though those birds were fighting over something, although it was impossible to say what. The thick area is moving slower than the rest of the cloud, and isn't currently close to anyone.


    The raven-cloud continued to advance, and the slower of those in the lot began to feel its effects. A woman in heels began to become obscured from view. A young man in truly impractical clothing began furiously swatting the air around him. A father with his daughter ducked under a table. And crows began flying around the heads of Peggy and Marek. They began to find that the birds were decently aggressive, and had no qualms about personal space.


    Kat and Alison have a clear shot at the Manatee Café. If you wish to aid another, that will be a strength+athletics roll as you pull them forward.
    To Marek and Peggy, make a dexterity+brawl to keep the crows away from you, or dex+athletics to sprint your way out. Peggy is prone. She can get up and run, but the brawl option is unavailable to her.
    Last edited by Komodo; 2012-10-25 at 10:26 PM.

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Destrude's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011

    Default Re: The Man With No Words (IC)

    To anyone else, the voice had been lost in the screams and cries of a dozen others, swallowed up by the chaos. But to Steven Black, the panicked call of his daughter pierced through the noise and directly into his chest, freezing his blood in a heartbeat.

    Oh god, that's Ally! He was up and out of the cafe in a flash, straining to look everywhere at once. A distant part of his mind noted the on rushing cloud of black, but the rest of his mind fairly vibrated in panic for several heart-rending seconds before he saw her. Bounding up and onto a series of cars, the nimble form of his raven-haired daughter sent a shot of relief through him. She looked afraid, but alive, and that was the most important thing.

    Cupping his hands over his mouth, Steven shouted out. Allison! Over here! Come on, get inside! He waved his arms overhead, even as panicked citizens shoved past him in their blind, animal panic.

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Odentin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Man With No Words (IC)

    Allison grins as she sees her father at the cafe, already safe. For the rest of the way to the door was just for fun. The arch of her foot finds the edge of the truck's roof, and without conscious thought, her knees bend and straighten, launching her into a flying leap over the bed of the truck and onto the ground behind it, where she rolls with the momentum and back up to her feet, never slowing in her charge towards the safety of the cafe and her father's arms.
    -Odentin, Activist for Equestrians for Paraplegics.

    Quote Originally Posted by IRC
    [00:37] <@Ryo-Wolf> Naki: "Yay, I built this awesome encounter that is awesome and cool and is gonna be so challenging and fun and-" Odentin: "I drop all my dailies in its face." Naki: "And its already over, ****."
    [00:38] <@Naki> He does it EVERY TIME.
    [00:38] <@Naki> EVERY. GODDAMN. TIME.
    [00:38] <Odentin> Only twice....
    [00:38] <@Naki> Which has been every time!

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    sun_tzu's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2006

    Default Re: The Man With No Words (IC)

    Ugh...That smarts...
    Peggy looked up from her prone position. The cloud was still advancing, and...
    She gritted her teeth. Oh like Hell I'm dying here or whatever! Getting up, she ran as fast as she could.


    Spoiler
    Show
    Spending a Dot of Willpower. Dex+Athletics: (6d10)[5][1][4][9][3][9](31)
    Saga of Soul: Not your Typical Magical Girl Story.
    Where I Watch: My Little Pony

    Avatar by Lord Iames Osari, Grand Admiral Thrawn by Timothy Zahn. Thanks to both!

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Sep 2012

    Default Re: The Man With No Words (IC)

    Surprised by the guy's flippant attitude towards the crazed murder of crows, Kat stares at his retreating back, until she almost collides with a table. She shakes her head slightly. The kid was obviously either crazy, or just stupid.

    Reaching the door of the café, Kat turns and looks back for a moment - just a moment. It was a pity; those people probably didn't deserve to get torn to shreds by crows. But there was no way for Kat to save them, unless she wanted to get herself killed along with them.

    Tearing the door of the café open, Kat stumbles inside, slamming the door behind her. Panting for breath for a moment, she then turns to check if the windows needed closing as well.

    Yeah. She'd find a way to save or replace the guitar somehow. It was best to look out for your friends.

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Morty's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Poland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Man With No Words (IC)

    Marek really, really had no idea what was going on, but a greater concentration of those weird-ass birds seemed like a target to him. It wasn't like he had a better option. So he grabbed the first thing he could get his hands on and threw it.

    Athletics + Deterity -1:
    Spoiler
    Show

    (1d10)[4]
    (1d10)[10]
    (1d10)[2]
    (1d10)[10]
    (1d10)[5]
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Kid Kris. Sigatars by Gulaghar, Kid Kris, Zefir and billtodamax, respectively.

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Komodo's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Sunny Florida

    Default Re: The Man With No Words (IC)

    As the world around her became immersed in darkness, Peggy jumped up to her feet and summoned all her will power. Bolting with all her might, she rushed out of the cloud and bolted into the café. Perhaps not the most graceful entrance, but she was safe. For the moment, at least. She stood just inside the door to catch her breath.

    Marek became more aware of the danger coming upon him, and unsteadily reached for whatever he could find to throw. This happened to be a small, wooden crate of milk, freshly bottled from the local farms. He heaved it toward the birds closest to him and hoped for the best. The crate smacked at least one right in the face, and a few pained caws told a story of a few more being hit by stray bottles. A couple more flew up to Marek and began pecking at him, but he ducked his head and brushed them off as he entered the café.

    Allison, having cleanly cleared the seller’s stands, moved with ease into the Manatee Café. There, her loving father, Steven, was waiting for her. Kat reservedly slipped passed them as she entered. As the dark and steadily noisier cloud approached, Steven pulled his daughter inside and pulled the door shut.

    Within, the café smelled of breakfast. Aromas of eggs, pancakes, sausages and other morning foods wafted in the air, and various works by local artists hung on the walls, most of them colorful scenes of a beach or underwater. These, along with smooth instrumental music playing low over speakers along the walls, created an atmosphere that starkly contrasted with the rising chaos just outside.

    Within a few moments after the door shutting, the cloud reached the restaurant, and the room was shrouded in darkness. Only the electric lights within kept the room from becoming pitch black. Scrapes of claws and beaks could be heard along the glass doors to the front and back of the restaurant, which faced parallel to the flight of the crows.

    Any other Saturday, the café would have been stuffed with people, however, it seemed that the early morning fog had kept away the usual crowd, although there were still a few customers. A family of four sat in the corner to the left of the door, huddled together. The daughter was crying, and the son was staring out in sheer awe. To the right of the door, the waitress and kitchen staff stood , not sure what to make of the whole scene. Next to the front door stood a boy in his early twenties, dressed in an odd, old-fashioned robe with strange symbols embroidered into it. He had come in just behind Kat, but had been less lucky with the crows, and had a few nasty scratches along his face and arms. Dusting himself off, he moved to the left wall and stood on a booth to look out a mirror facing north, directly into the incoming ravens. He appeared visibly worried.

    In the back sat a crowd of young men and women, ranging from late teens to early thirties. They sat next to a set of sliding-glass doors to the east. These were usually shuttered to block out the light of the rising sun, but they were currently lifting these shutters to deliberately get a better look while talking excitedly to one another. They seemed to be the only ones there who weren’t in some way frightened or even disturbed by the sudden appearance of the ravens.

    As the people inside huddled together, the lights began to flicker. The chef cautiously reached under the cash register and pulled out a small bottle, and began to nervously sip from it.

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    sun_tzu's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2006

    Default Re: The Man With No Words (IC)

    Within the relative safety of the café, Peggy was finally able to get a good look at the black cloud. "What the Hell?!" Crows? A murder of crows was trying to murder us all?! "Are those birds pulling a hitchcock?" I thought crows only attacked people in Japan, and even then not on this kind of scale!
    Saga of Soul: Not your Typical Magical Girl Story.
    Where I Watch: My Little Pony

    Avatar by Lord Iames Osari, Grand Admiral Thrawn by Timothy Zahn. Thanks to both!

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Sep 2012

    Default Re: The Man With No Words (IC)

    Animals were just something you had to contend with, living on the streets. Dogs were the worst, since they'd happily give you a few bites before taking off with your food. Kat had been attacked by birds a few times, though. Yet she'd never seen any group of animals so crazed by god knows what. Shaking her head, she tried to put the mystery out of her mind, before it became too much for her.

    Snorting at the guy dressed up like some sort of wizard, Kat looks around for the source of the smell. It reminded her that she'd not eaten since yesterday afternoon, and in the chaos, hopefully nobody would notice her taking one or two little bits of food, or at least care about it.

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Morty's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Poland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Man With No Words (IC)

    "Right, looks like not everyone here is as confused as we are. Those young fellas in the corner over there... they behave as though this was fun."
    Marek sits down and looks at the crowd of young people suspiciously. Hopefully, if something goes down, others here will back him up.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Kid Kris. Sigatars by Gulaghar, Kid Kris, Zefir and billtodamax, respectively.

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Komodo's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Sunny Florida

    Default Re: The Man With No Words (IC)

    For escaping the swarm, everyone may be awarded one experience point.

    The lights flickered again, then shut off for a few seconds. An electrical buzz could be heard above the ruckus outside. In the cover of darkness, Katherine moved toward the kitchen's counter and carefully lifted a plate containing a sausage and cheddar omelette garnished with orange slices. In the next few moments, the lights returned. If any of the kitchen staff noticed that the food had been taken, they didn’t mention it.

    After Peggy’s outburst, the man in the robe dismounted the booth and moved toward the door, keeping his eyes fixed on the storm of birds outside. “Hitchcock?” He said, speaking loudly to be heard over the commotion. “I don’t think so. They aren’t attacking us in here. It’s almost like they’re going somewhere, and we were in the way. “ He reaches into his gown and pulled out a note pad and pen and began furiously scribbling notes.

    In the back, the group was gathered together, their gaze fixed outside, and excitedly talking amongst themselves, loud enough so that they could be clearly heard, even over the commotion outside. Marek leaned in to hear what they were saying.

    During the whole of their conversation, one lad merely stood to the side facing the others, whistling a solemn tune loudly, to be heard over the birds and the conversation. The others seemed to pay him no heed.

    “He’s not here!”
    “He has to be! Why else would…”
    “Would you two shut up?”
    “No need to shout. Everything will be all right soon.”
    “Why is it dark?”
    “Because of…oh…you mean…”
    “There’s no doubt that the shadows we’re looking for are here. But we aren’t the ones to remove it. He will make that known when he comes.”
    “And will he come? Is he here?”
    “Of course he’s here, because the murder is here, and the murder…”
    “ZIP IT!!!” (Three of them shouted in unison).

    “Excuse me!” This comment came from the father of the family of four in the corner, directed at the group in the back. “Would you mind quieting a bit? You’re starting to scare my family, and things are bad enough as it is!”

    With that remark, the group turned toward the father, their faces set in dark stares. Even the one lad stopped whistling to glare at him. The lights flickered again.
    Last edited by Komodo; 2012-11-03 at 09:43 PM.

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Sep 2012

    Default Re: The Man With No Words (IC)

    Within a minute or two, the plate is completely empty of everything except orange rinds. It was amazing how fast you could eat when you were at risk of losing every meal to animals or other people.

    Having eaten her fill, Kat turns her attention to the people arguing in the back of the room. She pays particular attention to the guy whistling, wondering if it was the guy who whistled to her as she ran earlier. Tensely, she watches to see how the altercation with the father will turn out. Though it's never a tragedy when some middle-class idiot gets a punch in the face, the kids at least deserve better.

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    sun_tzu's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2006

    Default Re: The Man With No Words (IC)

    Peggy approached the group in the back. "Excuse me, but what were you talking about? It sounded like you know something about...this," she said, pointing at the murder of crows outside.
    Saga of Soul: Not your Typical Magical Girl Story.
    Where I Watch: My Little Pony

    Avatar by Lord Iames Osari, Grand Admiral Thrawn by Timothy Zahn. Thanks to both!

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Odentin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Man With No Words (IC)

    Once inside, Allison give Steve a quick hug, "Didn't know where you were. I'm glad you're safe."

    She calms herself, practicing her breathing exercises and bringing her heart rate back down to normal level. Once she notices the people in the corner, she watches them intently, until they decide to glare at the family.

    Allison marches towards them, her own face set in a dark scowl, "Hey! Where do you get off being so rude? You know what's going on? Share it with the group instead of just freaking people out."
    -Odentin, Activist for Equestrians for Paraplegics.

    Quote Originally Posted by IRC
    [00:37] <@Ryo-Wolf> Naki: "Yay, I built this awesome encounter that is awesome and cool and is gonna be so challenging and fun and-" Odentin: "I drop all my dailies in its face." Naki: "And its already over, ****."
    [00:38] <@Naki> He does it EVERY TIME.
    [00:38] <@Naki> EVERY. GODDAMN. TIME.
    [00:38] <Odentin> Only twice....
    [00:38] <@Naki> Which has been every time!

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Morty's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Poland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Man With No Words (IC)

    Mark got up and approached the two people who had confronted the group, standing behind them menacingly. They obviously knew something about what was going on, or at least more than the rest of them. And they were behaving like jackasses, to boot.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Kid Kris. Sigatars by Gulaghar, Kid Kris, Zefir and billtodamax, respectively.

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Komodo's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Sunny Florida

    Default Re: The Man With No Words (IC)

    The talkative group shifted their gaze from the father to the group gathering in front of them. Peggy and Allison were asking them for information of the raven-cloud, with the latter being a touch more assertive. Behind them, they were silently backed up by two tough-looking gentlemen with stern looks on their faces. Behind them, Katherine observed the scene from over her licked-clean plate. Scanning the group, she saw that the lad who had been whistling earlier, a thin and starkly blonde lad no older than twenty, was indeed the same one who had whistled her song back at her earlier. He had not opened his mouth except to whistle since the events of the day started, and he did not become any more talkative as the tension in the room began to rise.

    A boy and a girl from the group, of whom there were seven (counting the whistler), rose from their seats and stood before Allison and Peggy, staring them eye to eye. They stood there a few moments, staring, and the lights flickering. Irritatingly, when they finally did speak, they addressed their companions, and spoke as though the young athlete and socialite were not even there. In spite of this, they did not break eye contact with the girls.

    For the sake of clarity and brevity, a dash in front of a line of spoken dialogue will represent a line spoken by one of the two standing up front.

    -“What do you think?”
    -“You mean, touched?”
    -“Yeah”
    “Could be”
    “No way, he’s not here yet”
    “But it’s the right place.”
    *”Uh, excuse me?” This line came from the man in the robe, at the other end of the café, where he was currently being ignored.
    -“They want to know what’s going on”
    “Where is the light?”
    “Precisely. Someone needs to light the candle.”
    *”Hey, guys?”
    -“But them? I don’t know. That one looks funny.” The boy looked at Marek as he spoke.
    “That isn’t safe to say”
    “In this world what is?”
    *”HEY! They’re turning!”

    At this line the group ended their cryptic chatter to look out the window again. The man in the strange clothes was telling the truth: The massive murder of ravens was doubling back on itself, effectively making a complete 180° turn.

    The group still seems slightly on edge, but don’t appear to be ready to snap. If you want a more straightforward conversation, a roll of Presence + Persuasion may be in order (Presence, not manipulation, because their minds are clearly elsewhere and they need to be convinced you’re important). Intelligence + Socialize may be used to try and gain some clues from their chatter. As usual, if there is another action you think would be worthwhile, by all means, pick and roll it.
    Last edited by Komodo; 2012-11-05 at 03:09 PM.

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    sun_tzu's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2006

    Default Re: The Man With No Words (IC)

    Ignore us, will you? Then I guess I need to keep your attention for a couple minutes!
    Peggy stepped in the middle of the group this time, loudly clapping her hands to gather their attention. "Listen, ladies and gentlemen - I'm sure your little conversation is deeply fascinating, but right now, the rest of us here are scared, upset, and a pair of torches and pitchforks away from doing something stupid. So how about you try actually explaining what's going on here instead of acting all cryptic?"


    Spoiler
    Show
    Presence+Persuasion: (7d10)[4][10][9][4][3][6][10](46)
    Saga of Soul: Not your Typical Magical Girl Story.
    Where I Watch: My Little Pony

    Avatar by Lord Iames Osari, Grand Admiral Thrawn by Timothy Zahn. Thanks to both!

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    sun_tzu's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2006

    Default Re: The Man With No Words (IC)

    Spoiler
    Show
    Re-rolling 10s:
    (2d10)[4][7](11)
    Saga of Soul: Not your Typical Magical Girl Story.
    Where I Watch: My Little Pony

    Avatar by Lord Iames Osari, Grand Admiral Thrawn by Timothy Zahn. Thanks to both!

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Destrude's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011

    Default Re: The Man With No Words (IC)

    As soon as his daughter was safe, Steven's eyes were riveted to the nightmarish flock whirling by outside. The chatter of the cafe's patrons was just noise to him, until his daughter stepped forward.

    Oh Jesus, Ally. Does it always have to be feet-first into everything? You were footling breach too, I should have known from the start.

    Shaking his head in part worry, part amusement, Steven steps forward to position himself between the two parties.

    "Hey, I'm sure everyone is confused and scared here, but demanding answers from strangers or being rude isn't going to help. Now I know everyone wants to know what's going on, but the first thing we need to do is make sure we're safe here."

    Pointing at the cafe staff, he continues. "You guys know this place the best, go and make sure any vents or doors are sealed off. Check any screens or plates to make sure they won't come off." Turning back to face the group of kids, "And we all need to check the glass and doors, make sure they're not breaking through or anything."

    Without waiting for a response, Steven turns and heads for the door he came in.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Presence + Persuasion + Cooler head speciality:
    (7d10)[4][1][10][9][5][10][5](44)

    Also, looking to see if anyone is near the door outside, or if there are any signs of breakage in the glass. Wits + Composure:
    (4d10)[2][6][3][9](20)

    OR:

    Wits + Crafts:
    (5d10)[7][8][3][6][10](34)

    Re-rolls for 10s, left to right:
    (10d10)[10][2][9][10][10][3][8][6][5][9](72)

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Komodo's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Sunny Florida

    Default Re: The Man With No Words (IC)

    The group suddenly appeared at a loss. First, Peggy had brought them all to attention for the first time, and then Steven had spoken up with a surprising amount of authority. For the first time they stopped their cryptic chatter and eased up a bit. Some seemed like they were genuinely guilty with how they had been acting. Some appeared to be sizing up Peggy with an approving eye. The young man who had approached the girls, however, grunted, and moved over to the taciturn lad who had whistled earlier. The former whispered something inaudible to the latter.

    Steven's speech brought the kitchen staff (of whom there were three; two cooks and a waitress)to attention for the first time. Up to that point, they had been dumbfounded by the chaos outside, and too frightened to act. Spurred to action, they began checking around the small kitchen for any weak or open points. And as it turned out, not a moment too soon: after the swarm had turned, some had begun to fly into and crawl down the steam vent above the grill, which had no grating. The kitchen crew began to try and build a makeshift plug for the vent shaft out of two rolls of paper towels and some rubber spatulas. However, a few slipped through: three blackbirds slipped through the cracks as the cooks sealed it up. The birds began to harass the waitress for a bit, but quickly proceeded to join with their flock, moving in the direction the rest of the birds outside were. When they found a wall in their way and the window unyielding, they proceeded to perch on the ceiling rafters in the middle of the dining room. The little girl sitting in the corner with her family began to hold her mother tightly and began crying harder, eyes fixed on the cruel ravens. The man in the robe found them fascinating, however. He pulled out a small book from his interior pocket and tried to read from it, scribbling notes, and look back at the birds in on the rafters, all simultaneously, even as the lights flickered off again.

    Back at the table of the Cryptic-Speakers, the girl who had gotten up to confront Allison and Peggy for the first time actually addressed them by pulling up chairs for them, and sitting in one herself. She also waved her fingers to summon over Marek.

    "We might have underestimated you earlier," she began, talking gracefully despite having to rase her voice to be heard over the swarm outside. "But you're not as ignorant as we thought. A pitchfork away from something stupid, indeed." She turned her face toward the window. "You see this? This thing you leapt over cars to run from?" She said, looking at Allison. "This thing that made you bump your head out of fear?" She looked at Peggy, who suddenly became aware of a bit of dried blood that had run down to the bridge of her nose. She hadn't noticed in the rush. "You're demanding to know about it, because you're refusing to believe that this is just something that could happen. You won't believe that this just bad luck, on par with a dog nipping your leg, or a deer wrecking your car."

    "That may seem obvious to you, but you see them?" She pointed to the mother and father, trying to calm their children. "Right now, they're trying to convince themselves that this will all be over in an hour, and then nothing like this will ever happen again. Them?" She nodded toward the kitchen crew. "They're not convinced this is even real. And him?" She began to point at the guy in the robe, who was eagerly pulling out his book and trying to flip through it as the lights went out, but changed her mind. "Actually, nevermind him."

    "I can't tell you everything, because I honestly don't know all the details. But I'll let you in on a little clue:" Here, she turned to her companions, as though expecting confirmation. Most of them just turned away uneasily. Undaunted, she turned back to Peggy, Allison, and Marek. "You mentioned lacking only a pitchfork and torch before going insane. Well, this is the pitchfork. A literal riot against the strange and unwelcome." The girl took a sip of iced tea. "You know that someone's holding the pitchfork, but you might find it more immediately relevant to ask where the torch is." The lights slowly flickered back on.

    Meanwhile, the young man who had talked to the whistler moved to the opposite side of the restaurant. Ignoring the conversation between the girls, he went and sat next to Kat. Leaning in, he whispered to her, soft enough so she could just hear: "I saw you take that food. The idiots working the kitchen haven't even realized it's gone. It was going to that kid, by the way," he said, motioning to the son in the family, "not that it matters to me. I need you to do me a favor. That fool in the robes? He has something in his pocket: a small obsidian trinket. You can sneak, so lift it. He's not paying much attention anyways, and you can wait 'til the lights go back out. I promise, it'll be worth your while." Without waiting for a response, the young man returned to his seat.

    Standing by the front door, Steven did not notice anyone outside, nor did he see any structural fault in the glass. Only problem was, there didn't need to be: the glass was designed primarily to let in light. It was not strong: the only reason it was undamaged was because the birds were flying parallel to it, first one way, then the other. The door wouldn't withstand a direct assault. However, it was not without precautions: the door was equipped with a folding storm shutter... on the outside. If only...ah ha! There was a mechanism to shut it from the inside above the door! He reached up to test it. It was jammed. He could feel the chain stuck in two different places, and couldn't reach both of them at once. Even if he did try to fix it on his own, it was too high to see. He would have to rely on touch...or else go out and risk the swarm...
    Last edited by Komodo; 2012-11-09 at 11:46 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •