1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Pittsburgh: What's there to do?

This winter, I will be visiting Pittsburgh to check out a university I'm interested in (incidentally, Carnegie-Mellon IxD and HCI Masters programs, any good?). Since it's a bit of a trip from Toronto, I want to take advantage and visit some cool places. What sort of cool places are there that are easy to get to? I plan to bus there rather than drive, so I'll have to rely on public transportation to get anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by A_Moon View Post
    How many times, when the Fighter says "I draw my sword", did you just want to smack that cheating-optimizer in the face and say "No! You don't draw your sword! You draw Orcus!". When the Cleric says "I run away from Orcus!": "No! You run into Orcus! Rogue tries to hide? He hides behind Orcus! The bard in a tavern on the other side the town tries to order a drink? How about a nice frothy mug of Orcus?
    Quote Originally Posted by Guancyto View Post
    Perhaps this will sate Flickerdart's endless hunger for assassinations.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Pittsburgh: What's there to do?

The best thing to do in Pittsburgh?

Leave Pittsburgh.

I'm sure Pittsburgh is a very nice place to live or visit. I just never pass up an opportunity to make that joke. Please don't yell at me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    I like my women like I like my coffee; 10 feet tall, incomprehensible to the human psyche, and capable of ending life as a triviality.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Marillion View Post

Leave Pittsburgh.

I'm sure Pittsburgh is a very nice place to live or visit. I just never pass up an opportunity to make that joke. Please don't yell at me.
    That was already on my itinerary.
    Quote Originally Posted by A_Moon View Post
    How many times, when the Fighter says "I draw my sword", did you just want to smack that cheating-optimizer in the face and say "No! You don't draw your sword! You draw Orcus!". When the Cleric says "I run away from Orcus!": "No! You run into Orcus! Rogue tries to hide? He hides behind Orcus! The bard in a tavern on the other side the town tries to order a drink? How about a nice frothy mug of Orcus?
    Quote Originally Posted by Guancyto View Post
    Perhaps this will sate Flickerdart's endless hunger for assassinations.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    This winter, I will be visiting Pittsburgh to check out a university I'm interested in (incidentally, Carnegie-Mellon IxD and HCI Masters programs, any good?). Since it's a bit of a trip from Toronto, I want to take advantage and visit some cool places. What sort of cool places are there that are easy to get to? I plan to bus there rather than drive, so I'll have to rely on public transportation to get anywhere.
    Dunno much about what to do in Pittsburgh, but I /do/ know that CMU is very good at interaction design, as well as... pretty much everything else they put their mind to. I'm applying for their MET program for next fall.
    The Feud continues!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbash Kazdar View Post
    - Feud, the: The 'secret' plot to do something to BlackFox for some reason no one seems to really recall. Accusations of a government cover-up concerning the Feud remain unsubstantiated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoseki View Post
    Hoseki looks between Blackfox and El Jaspero. "...I think the Elemental Plane of Fire has frozen over."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

If you're into the whole cupcakes thing, there's a neat little bakery up the hill from CMU.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm pretty sure Carnegie Melon is a top if not THE top school in Human Computer Interaction.

If you're interested in modern art, the Warhol Museum is in Pittsburgh. I thought that was pretty good. I'll ask my brother since he did his undergrad at CMU and I've only visited once.

Edit: Okay, he came back with:

Cathedral of Learning: (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathedral_of_Learning)
    Squirrel Hill is a nice town atmosphere to leisure around and eat food.
    Mount Washington is a nice place to wander around and has a great view of the Three Rivers.
    Three Rivers Park

Here's the official tourist site if you want more information:
    http://www.visitpittsburgh.com/
    Last edited by Joran; 2012-10-23 at 03:11 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

Whatever you do, don't consult Ben Roethlisburger on the matter.

I hear that downtown Pittsburgh closes down a bit early for being a downtown districts. However, I also hear that the bars that stay open are pretty good. A friend of mine just came back from there a couple weeks ago. I'll get some names of places and post them later on.
    Demonlobster.com because we both know that you know that I know that you like fun!

The most intense eight seconds of your life, for real.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by blackfox View Post
    Dunno much about what to do in Pittsburgh, but I /do/ know that CMU is very good at interaction design, as well as... pretty much everything else they put their mind to. I'm applying for their MET program for next fall.
    Are you still at Cornell? Just remembered that you and CoffeeIncluded are the other Corellienians of the board--I'm an old grad of the Arts and Crafts school.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

I know from Pitt-goers that there is a large pot-smoking community in Pittsburgh.
    bees

Iron Avatarist is on hiatus. Feel free to admire my trophies, though.
    Spoiler
    Show

I am not brave enough to say something outrageous and be serious. You'll be happier if you assume I'm joking.
    Stealthy Kurienatar!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by snoopy13a View Post
    Are you still at Cornell? Just remembered that you and CoffeeIncluded are the other Corellienians of the board--I'm an old grad of the Arts and Crafts school.
    Yep, still there. I remember you from way back when I was applying to Cornell. I'm a senior this year, thus the applying to grad programs.
    The Feud continues!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbash Kazdar View Post
    - Feud, the: The 'secret' plot to do something to BlackFox for some reason no one seems to really recall. Accusations of a government cover-up concerning the Feud remain unsubstantiated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoseki View Post
    Hoseki looks between Blackfox and El Jaspero. "...I think the Elemental Plane of Fire has frozen over."

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

Okay, my time to chime in! Skip the Warhol if you are not already a fan (you will HATE Warhol afterwards). Check out the Mattress Factory or the Carnegie Museum of Art/Natural History (same group runs the Warhol, but I personally only end up there for events, after the first time). Definitely hit the Carnegie Library, it's beyond awesome!

Other than that, depends on what you like to do. Do you like to eat? What kind of food. Do you like to go to bars? What do you like to drink. Do you like to see live music? What kind. Lots of good bookshops around, a few good record shops still. Lots of good parks, but visiting in the winter might not be the best for that sort of thing. The zoo is pretty good too...the science center has nothing on Toronto, so don't bother there! There are local sports teams too, if that's your thing. Let me know what you like and I'll give you some more pointed recommendations!

Public transport isn't bad, but not great. From downtown you can get to most of the main neighborhoods you'd want to fairly easily. But it'll be good to know where you want to go and plan accordingly. Weekly bus passes will save you a lot of hassle if you plan on jotting around a lot.

Oh, and CMU is a pretty good school.

I've been here for about 15 years now. A lot has changed in that time, for the good and for the bad, but overall, I do love it here.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Marillion View Post

Leave Pittsburgh.

I live near Pittsburgh and I can vouch for this one.