1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Advice for My World

A near future earth with the presence of magic -I know it isn't that original but it is unique ;). Also I'm sorry if I ramble a bit... I have a bunch of notes that I'm trying to convince.

A couple of facts before I fill you in.
    --"Magic" is just another part of physics. It isn't a fairy tale. The universe is filled with dark energy, scientist do not really know what this is. There an energy plane that people can tap into, to transfer energy from there to here. Strange beings live here as well spirits of the Aether.
    --Dragons exist, they are purely physical creatures, think "Reign of Fire" types. Two wings, two legs, one tail, one head.
    --This is not post apocalypse game, the world as we know it has been destroyed, this is an age of adventure, in order for us to discover new things the safety of the modern world has to be removed. I want it to feel like a new Dark Ages, many civilizations exist because of the vacuum left from the collapse of a superpower. So lets call it apocalypsey, okay?

So 2500 some odd years ago, there was the great empire of Atlantis (great by old world standards not modern day) They influenced all of the Mediterranean, & much of Africa & the Middle East. The vastness of their empire was upon their prowess in two areas; nautical supremacy & advanced magical skill.

At this point in time there were dragons, several different races of "man" walked the earth, & magic was used by those that knew the art. The races of man would later become the general ethnicities of the world we know now, but at the time there where more physical differences between them.

Atlantis falls though & this leads to the world as we know it. The most powerful of Atlantean magic users had created an imbalance in the energies of the magical realm (the Aether) & it caused an enormous backlash, fearing the destruction of our world, they in their last moments constructed a barrier between the mortal realm & that of the seething magical realm. This veil saved the world, but not Atlantis, being the epicenter, it was annihilated.

A few races of man could not physically continue functioning, they themselves were too reliant on astral energies from the Aether & started to die. One of these races, the alfar, found an asylum to protect themselves until the Veil fell. A ritual that removed the victim's heart & replaced it with a seed of a strong tree would allow the subject to pass it's soul to the tree & as it grew they would be able to exist within the tree & it's descendants.

Fastforward>>>

In the early 21st Century the world's economy is failing & nations begin to war. People, reluctant to call it WWIII dub it "The Resource War". The United States & China declare all out war. Canada & the USA merge to become the United American Providences. During this time the human genome project pays off & allows for the creation of supersoldiers. Hockland & Brisker Enterprises with funding from the government start project TITAN their create the Homo Sapien Vitas, humans with stronger bones, more efficient muscles & cardiovascular systems. The supersoldiers are built with one flaw to keep them under control, they lack the ability to naturally create a protein. So they must take a routine dose of R-23 to continue living.

The Resource ends with a cease fire treaty, & because an emerging weapons company (Valor Industries) has produced the ability to create a better battery. "Nova" Cells are the size of a pack of cards but can contain huge amounts of stored energy. This allows for the creation of power armor & slimmer military vehicles, not to mention countless domestic uses. Valor Industries also engineers satellites that collect solar energies & successfully beam them to receivers on the ground. With the new satellites, the old grid is no longer maintained as such a vital infrastructure. After the war it was found that the supersoldiers who were thought to be unable to procreate others of their kind are able to breed, they are treated like second class citizens

Then the Veil falls.

Magic returns, the ground quakes across the world causing destruction. Dragons awake from the frost (This is do to tectonic activity interrupting their hibernation cycle). Soon after ordinary citizens start to cause chaos & panic with use of magic. Law enforcement doesn't know what to do, people that can use magic are placed into camps clustered near Seattle. There is a revolt. so begin the Witchfire Wars.

The west coast falls into chaos, & the TITAN project comes back, with the creation of a new creatures; Promethean, 9ft tall giants of speed strength & agility, Atlas, hardier think boned soldiers for use in extreme conditions. But the true heroes created for the Witchfire Wars were the "Karkori" dogs enhanced to human-like intelligence with the ability to sense magical energies. (They may be as smart as a human but they can't talk, they are also inhuman & do not always think the same as we do). Design to be mage killers the karkori become an incredible addition to military forces, most squads have at least one karkori assigned to it. Treated almost as well as humans & with actual military ranking & retirement. They do not require handlers & hold a place above normal animals within the justice system. With the progressive civil rights acts of General Throkk, Homo Sapien Vitas become full fledged citizens, taking the name Throkk for themselves. (Throkk is the singular & plural)

With the return of magic so to do the alfar return, they find themselves in a foreign world, their numbers severally diminished do to deforestation, & their bodies fragile to modern diseases. When first discovered they are treated with disdain, fear & suspicion. Because of their physical appearance they are called elves by the layman & Homo Sapien Acer to scientist

The Witchfire Wars were a dark time for everyone on earth. Common men declared war on those that could conjure fire at a whim or bind otherworldly creatures of pure energy to kill. The old relocation camps became the heart of the resistance, the leaders, a small group of unrivaled magic users, The Covenant of Thirteen. The war ended when thousands of TITAN soldiers, karkori, men & magician lay dead. So many wars & civil unrest strained our countries infrastructure.

The UAP grant the Dakotas & the surrounding land to the rising elven population. The UAP. Losing control of the west coast to the Covenants rule, & isolation from the Dakota Landgrant. The UAP pulls back it's influence to the east of the Mississippi. In a military base within Nevada a General takes command of those left, the southwest becomes a few large megacities in constant war with the Covenant, with the rest of the population taking on a nomadic culture travelling routes between the mega cities.

When all seems to be unraveling a new man is elected President of the UAP. Johnathan Delfayyn. He makes peace with the rogue spellcasters, helps codify a set of laws for their use, opens universities to their exclusive practice, & helps create ways to contain those that are a danger to themselves & others. When it came to his second term the Senate voted to suspend laws forcing a two term limit. Thus began what would end up the Merican Empire with Emperor Delfayyn ruling it as a reluctant Dictator.

When the UAP took measures to restrict civil freedoms the southern states fell to unrest & took arms to secede from the the UAP, joined by Ohio, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois & Indiana. This unrest spiraled into another small war. The southern states kept most of the original USA form of government, being called the Liberated States of America. Ohio, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois & Indiana fragmented to internal pressures to become a mass of smaller city-states being self ruled in a strong federation with a Senate Council to decide matters dealing with the whole. They are called the Midwestern Kingdoms or the Greatlakes Federation. The last of the UAP, being so changed by war & politics became the Merican Empire.

So thanks for reading all of that mess :) I'm sure it has some typos & stuff & I'll fix them when I find them.

So some questions for you guys

I want to call magic users something other than "magic users" it seems like a mouthful. The mechanics of my game create a difference between Wizards & Sorcerers, & magician just sounds like a guy pulling a rabbit out of a hat, if anyone could maybe give me some insight to alternate names for magic & magic users I'd appreciate it.

Is Throkk a dumb name for a "race"? They pretty much like Orcs from Shadowrun in appearance, they have deep tan to black skin with large stripe patterns of freckle like spots that are darker tones than the surrounding skin.

Should I add more fantastical elements? I prefer it to be a rather rational game, yes magic exists but it doesn't break reality or anything. It can be understood scientifically.

Should I add more races? So far the only races a character can be is Man, Elf, Throkk, Karkori & Promethean. All of them are technically human (except for the mage dogs), it not like they are truly fantasy races. I have a friend who really wants dwarves but idk it seems like it every setting have elves & dwarves so I don't want to include them unless they actually have a reasonable way to exist.
    Last edited by Anderlith; 2012-10-24 at 11:33 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Advice for My World

What is the difference compared to Shadowrun?
    Spriggan's Den - Thoughts on RPGs and some of my personal creations.
    Ancient Lands - PF/d20 Sword & Sorcery campaign setting

3. - Top - End - #3

So I added a bunch more paragraphs & finished up the backstory. The characters are supposed to be introduced to the world & adventrue into the old ruins of the world , fight lawlessness, become mercenaries, & hunt dragons. Whatever they want to do really.

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    What is the difference compared to Shadowrun?
    Shadowrun is all about espionage (or at least greatly skewed to support that playstyle over others) Also it has a much greater technological level. This world doesn't have the "matrix" or cybernetics. (Biotech & some genetech does exist though)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

I do like the Magic-as-Physics thing you have. If you're strapped for names for the 'magic users', I favour 'thaumaturgists' myself. Thaumaturgy is the study of magic, after all. But traditionally, 'sorcerer/sorceress', 'magus/majae', 'mage' and 'wizard/witch' are used.

Some more fantastic elements would be nice, but the question is 'what to add?' and that can be tricky. I feel you have enough intelligent races, but that can be a quick fix to that.

Of course it can be just as easy to add things like, places of power where magic naturally congregates and odd things. Or animal-level-intelligent ents. Ultimately, it is a matter of taste. Only add stuff that you are comfortable with.

I've already given my stances on races. Basicaly, don't add them if you don't need too. Not only should they fit in the backstory and world dynamics, they have to serve a purpose in terms of the system.

On the otherhand, I have problem with this. The whole Second-Dark-Ages just...isn't quite there. Too much remained, too little to be reclaimed. It doesn't feel empty enough. Now I'm not saying that the entire world should have collopased. Just that there should be a few more cracks in the system.

Of course I could be underestimating what was lost in the war.

Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by FallenEco View Post
    I do like the Magic-as-Physics thing you have. If you're strapped for names for the 'magic users', I favour 'thaumaturgists' myself. Thaumaturgy is the study of magic, after all. But traditionally, 'sorcerer/sorceress', 'magus/majae', 'mage' and 'wizard/witch' are used.

Some more fantastic elements would be nice, but the question is 'what to add?' and that can be tricky. I feel you have enough intelligent races, but that can be a quick fix to that.

Of course it can be just as easy to add things like, places of power where magic naturally congregates and odd things. Or animal-level-intelligent ents. Ultimately, it is a matter of taste. Only add stuff that you are comfortable with.

I've already given my stances on races. Basicaly, don't add them if you don't need too. Not only should they fit in the backstory and world dynamics, they have to serve a purpose in terms of the system.

On the otherhand, I have problem with this. The whole Second-Dark-Ages just...isn't quite there. Too much remained, too little to be reclaimed. It doesn't feel empty enough. Now I'm not saying that the entire world should have collopased. Just that there should be a few more cracks in the system.

Of course I could be underestimating what was lost in the war.
    Thanks for the advice.

But to explain. After the collapse of Rome, it's not like people in Europe disappeared. It just fragmented. People lost communication with each other. & they lost tons of technology & education. The same thing happened in my world. Any high tech item is something of legend. The common person doesn't have much (or any) formal schooling. The world is full of nation-states, with a few major nations thrown in. The PC's need to feel like there is a larger, organic world, but have the option to ignore set pieces. Just like any adventuring game.