New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Rise of the Runelords - Atessia

"thanks for the drink" I say to the man sitting at the table "the names slithir, and by the sounds of the convesation you were just having with the waitress your about as new as I am around here"

2. - Top - End - #32

The group gathered around a table, introducing themselves, talking about their pasts and plans. Bethana and her employer, the elf Ameiko Kaijitsu joined in on the conversation, until it was interrupted by Father Zantus taking the podium to deliver a speech consecrating the new chapel. This speech was more long-winded than the previous speeches, culminating in the release of a swarm of bright blue swallowtail butterflies, a delightful scene.

At that moment, the goblins attacked. Heralded by the yelps of a dying dog, the goblins leapt from hiding places in back alleys, armed with torches and pieces of scrap metal. The group leapt into action, taking down over a dozen goblins, including one of the magic-using drummers and the goblin commander atop his ratlike “dog,” as the townsfolk fled and Sheriff Hemlock gathered the guard. The goblins fled, doing relatively little damage to Sandpoint or its people, but ending the festival prematurely and setting everyone on edge – never before had the goblin tribes attacked Sandpoint, this new aggression bodes ill.

After the battle, the party conferred with Sheriff Hemlock, who asked for their assistance in keeping Sandpoint safe. Ameiko offered the group free room and board at the Rusty Dragon, Father Zantus healed their wounds. Aldern Foxglove, a noble from Magnimar whom the group rescued from goblins invited them to visit him at the White Deer the next day, falling over himself with praise for the group (especially for Telra, who stood between him and danger and then slew the goblin leader). Sheriff Hemlock informed the group that his guards had captured one goblin alive, and promised to let them know when the goblin awoke so they could be present for an interrogation.

Most of the group went to their new rooms to rest and recover; Tarth set off for the edge of town to try to pick up the goblins’ tracks.

Spoiler
    Show
    Gains (let me know if I missed something):
    20gp, 4 to everyone
    potion of cure moderate wounds (to Tarth)
    shortbow with 18 arrows (to Slithir)
    whip (to Tarth)

484 xp to everyone (we’re using the fast track)

3. - Top - End - #33
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    So....when do I find out if I found anything?

4. - Top - End - #34
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

Thinking on the efficacy of his firebombs, Tavi resolved to experiment and improve or alter his design. If goblins were to be a threat, he was determined to exterminate them. A nearby glassblower doesn't happen just anywhere, after all. As well, one of them had almost killed him. A rat could just about take that personal.

With that in mind, Tavi retired to his room, Arugula in tow, and unpacked his makeshift laboratory from the bags on her back, eyes already distant, focusing on a possibility no one else in town was likely to see.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+12)[31]

5. - Top - End - #35
    Orc in the Playground

Dukark spits the remnants of blood in his mouth onto the street, tensing as he feels the healing potion re-knit the ragged hole in his side, a wound caused by a lucky arrow sent from the blasted Goblin leader.

In any case, Ar Feiz had taken another three souls into the fold for little in the way of permanent damage. A good result he thought, as he wiped his blade clean on the ragged apparel of the Goblin chief.

He grins briefly, exposing his bloodied teeth, the little ratfolk certainly caused a mess, those explosives of his... Very effective, but then again... Maybe that was just Goblins being damn stupid.

Last he saw of him he was scurrying off to his room, muttering about casing size and powder burn, should be fun to see the results.

Again, he grins, broadly this time. He was out in the greater world, he'd already met one companion with skills that the cadre would find useful and he was about to go searching for the Sheriff to sort out payment... It was a good day. And it's going to get better.

6. - Top - End - #36

upon waking up the next day Slithir decides to begin his morning ritual of praying to torag by meditating on the battle and probing for weaknesses in the goblins attack.

once satisfied he reaches for the whet stone in his pack, but realises it's missing, it must of fallen out during the battle yesterday, he says a minor curse in tengu under his breath and decides he'll need to grab another one later today.

with that he heads out to find the shops within this town, and buy some new supplies.

Spoiler
    Show
    updated my sheet - I purchased a weapon cord, a whetstone, and sold some of my weapons, since I hadn't used them yet or referenced them I just sold them for full price, I didn't realize how few weapon I need since I have natural attacks.

after completing his shopping he spends some time honing his weapons with his new whet stone, and returns to the inn to meet the others he met yesterday.
    Last edited by calisk; 2012-10-29 at 09:52 AM.

7. - Top - End - #37

The next day dawns quietly; the townsfolk are still somewhat subdued after the events of yesterday. After everyone was accounted for, Sandpoint lost two citizens yesterday, with a dozen more wounded to various degrees. It's a bad situation, but everyone in town knows it could've gone much worse, and everyone in town knows the five of you were instrumental in stopping the raid from being worse. Your names spread around the town astonishingly fast, and soon people you've never seen before are walking up to you to thank you by name.

Ameiko greets you in the morning with a fresh-cooked breakfast, eggs and biscuits and fresh milk, and with a message from Sheriff Hemlock - the goblin prisoner's awake. It's (he's? Hard to tell with goblins) chained and under guard, and Hemlock is waiting for you to arrive before he starts the interrogation.

Spoiler
    Show
    We're going to be in roleplay mode for the next week; looking at schedules it appears that Sundays and Mondays are the only days everyone can gather for any substantive amounts of time. I'll be on Skype as often as I can to run individual scenes (already gone through a couple); scenes where the group is staying together will go through the thread.
    Last edited by Mirior; 2012-10-29 at 02:28 PM.

8. - Top - End - #38

Slithir steps up to listen to what the goblin has to say, whether he wants to say it or not

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground

Telra basked in the adoration of the crowd, happily taking on the role of being one of the towns heroes. He'd been wandering around the town for a little while now, doing little more than greeting people and shaking hands. Before too long he heard that the Sheriff wanted to see him.

When he arrives, Slithir is already there. He gives the Tengu a warm smile and a nod before turning his attention to the Goblin before them.

GLaDOS Avatar and Pokémon Sig. by me

Spoiler: Alternate Avatars
    Show

Leah and Saura, Summer Rose, and Firebrand by me

10. - Top - End - #40
    Orc in the Playground

Dukark stepped into the Inn just as the sun sets across the horizon, he had just spoken to the Sheriff concerning to the Goblin issue and made himself a decent stipend while doing so, he would have to inform the rest of the party about that at some point.

Shrugging his shoulder's he approached the Inn-Keeper, somewhat gratified to note that his board was free for the night, glancing around the abandoned main-room he set off towards his bed for the night.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The small amount of light filtering through the banded shuttered wakes Dukark from his sleep, that and the continued loud scratching and muttering coming from the adjacent wall, obviously where the Rat-folk was still tinkering.

Levering himself from bed following his daily devotions and only stopping only to thank the Inn-keeper and receive Hemlock's message to meet him at the Guardhouse, Dukark set off into the dusty plaza, which was, again, filling with the people of Sandpoint.

He turned into the Guardhouse shortly after Noon, being waved in by the Militaman at the door and being immediately greeted with a constant barrage of profanity.

Again Dukark grins. It's going to be a good day.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Tarth crawls into his apartment through the door that opens to the outside near the stables with Ajax close behind. He was waiting for Tarth at the entrance to the town, back from where ever he went the other day.

Its been months since they slept in a bed, and Tarth quickly throws himself on top of the bed. Ajax Climbs in as well taking up as much or more space then Tarth, but he is use to the giant hounds presence and quickly falls asleep tired from the days events.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Near noon Tarth is rocked out of sleep by Ajax forcing open the side door. Tarth smiles as he sees the hound push outside and wandering off again. I have to figure out where hes going lately" he says to himself as the beast rushes off.

Gathering his equipment he unpacks his bag looking for his coin. He moves out to take part in some of the inns services and joins some other guests at a meal. He is quickly aware that the town has been talking about him and the other outsiders as town heros. Not use to this many people in a long time he doesnt quit know what to do and simply smiles while eating.

He heads out to find the sheriff since he was unable to talk to him the night before about what he found on his trip around town. Entering into the his office he sees a group of the others waiting to hear from the goblin prisoner.

[COLOR="Sienna" I need to tell you all what I found. This isnt as simple as we once thought"[/COLOR] He says before they know he was even there. The attack on the village seems to have been only part of their plan. I was able to track the group back east a ways. It seems the goblins were summoned by someone or thing able to call goblins from multiple places to the east and north. They were also brought by wagon, one far to big for mere goblins, which makes me believe someone was guiding them with a purpose here. Looking at the sheriff, he tries to sense the motive of the man before he goes on. Is there anything you can think of as to why the village was a target? Anything here that we dont know about?
    Spoiler
    Show
    waiting on the reply before going on

12. - Top - End - #42

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+4)[8]

^Tarth's sense motive check, and also me making sure I know how the site roller works.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

Upon waking up, Tavi resolves to try to find the rest of the group from the other day, that they can call upon the frowning human the prancing swordsman saved.

After casting around for the rest of the party, though, it became clear that they did not have the same goal in mind, as they all seemed to be heading towards the gaol to find what the goblin had to say. With a sigh, Tavi too heads for the worthless use of incarcerated flesh.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Unable to figure out if the sheriff knew anything, tarth went on to explain how part of the goblin horde passed the town and went into the cemetery. There were tracks to large for goblins mixed in with this group. He doesnt know what they were after or did once over the walls but they left the same way they got in and headed back east.

15. - Top - End - #45

Sandpoint's guardhouse is a stocky, lowset wooden building; the door's unlocked. A guard welcomes you in, thanks you for your help with the raid, points you towards Sheriff Hemlock.

Hemlock listens to Tarth's report, concerned. "We found a wagon in one of the back alleys, almost certainly the same one you're describing; you're right that something other than goblins must be going on here. I have no idea what they're after, but if there's goblins coming from multiple tribes, we may be in a heap of trouble."

Tarth doesn't sense anything off in the sheriff's reaction; his concern seems genuine, as does his ignorance of anything specific the goblins could want.

"You say they went to the cemetary? That's just bizarre. I'll have to check it out after we talk to the goblin."

16. - Top - End - #46

Hemlock leads you down a set of stairs to a basement jail cell. Inside, a single goblin is trying desparately to squeeze between a set of iron bars - his hands are bound behind his back, and he's nowhere near small enough to slip through. As soon as the goblin catches sight of you, he jumps away from the bars and starts shrieking in an ear-splitting high voice.

"Lets me out! I bes a good goblin! I didn't do nuttin bad, I's always good, let me goes home!"

17. - Top - End - #47

"you want to be a good goblin, then tell us everything we want to know, if you cooperate I might go find a nice shiney sword for you to take back to your village" sltihir spins one of his weapons around on his fingers to entice the goblin as he speaks.

Spoiler
    Show
    trying to figure out the roller fora bluff/diplomacy check check...

[roll]1d6[/roll] I see you can't do it in an edit
    Last edited by calisk; 2012-10-30 at 02:37 PM.

18. - Top - End - #48

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+7)[14]bluff

19. - Top - End - #49

The goblin's eyes go wide at Slithir's blade. He starts to reach for it, despite the distance and bars in the way, then catches himself.

"Yes yes yes! I knows lots of stuff! I tells you all the things, you gives me stabby and let me go home!"

20. - Top - End - #50

slithir smiles pulls a chair up and sits 5 feet in front of the bars facing the goblin taking note to sit where the light best illuminates his face. he then places the blade on the ground beside the chair.

"so first why'd the other goblins attack the village yesterday?"

slithir stares at the goblin to see how he responds.
    Last edited by calisk; 2012-10-30 at 09:17 PM.

21. - Top - End - #51

"Ooh I know this! Big goblin said we gets to stab all the things! Burn all the things!"

The goblin suddenly lowers his voice. "I mean, other goblins were gonna do that. I didn't wanna, I just wanna be a good goblin and not hurts anybody."

Hemlock chuckles. "He was chewing on Alma's cat when we caught him."

22. - Top - End - #52

"ah so, these big goblins brought you here then?" slithir asks the goblin
    Last edited by calisk; 2012-10-30 at 11:51 PM.

23. - Top - End - #53

"No, no, big goblin just show up and kills chief and tells us we gets to smash stuff. Longshanks brings us to the wagon and makes the sneaky plans."

The sheriff leans over and whispers, "Longshanks means someone tall and not-goblin, like us."

24. - Top - End - #54
    Orc in the Playground

At this Dukark turns his head to stare directly into the goblins eyes.

"You say that a "Long-Shanks" let you into the town? Where did you find the wagon? Had you ever seen the Long-Shanks before? What did he or she look like?"
    Last edited by Molosse; 2012-10-31 at 07:15 AM.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Standing near the back of the room, just watching the goblin spill its info for a knife Tarth cant help but smile. Feeling blessed for the stupidity of goblins is something hes done a lot the last two days.

"Tell us more about this Longshanks" speaking over Slithir. Interested in who or what would be able to control groups of goblins from different tribes and focus them on a town miles away.

26. - Top - End - #56

The goblin turns towards Dukark. "That's what I says, inn't it? Longshanks leads us through the trees to this big wagon, tells us all to cram inside and be super-super-sneaky-quiet, we stays in the wagon until it stops moving and then we stays beside the wagon until we sees the butterflies. We all crams in wagon, well not all we the longshanks takes a couple of we on a super-secret mission, but most of we gets in wagon and it takes us into town and then I gets to stab a dog, I mean, other mean goblins gets to stab a dog."

Pause for breath. The goblin's eyes keep drifting back to Slithir's blade, and his hands are opening and closing slowly.

"I never sees this longshanks before today, he tall and smelly and his ears are pointy -" he points at Telra's ears "- and he always writing in his book, which is stupid dangerous, everyone knows when you writes words from your head you can't never get them back."

27. - Top - End - #57
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

" Why am I not surprised its an Elf"

You would think they would get tired of messing with the fiefs when their own lands are supposedly so perfect.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Orc in the Playground

Dukark nods slightly, an elf? Maybe, not definite by any means, but a starting point none the less.

"Goblin, when you say "We", other than the group that left with the "Long-Shanks" would that be your entire group? If so are there any other groups of goblins within the area? Do you know if the "Long-Shanks" met any other groups?"

A slight pause.

"Finally. How many goblins left with the "Long-Shanks"?"
    Last edited by Molosse; 2012-10-31 at 08:48 AM.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

" you expect him to be able to count? I saw multiple groups meeting up with the wagons trail. They came in bands of 4-5 so I would think we fought the bulk of the horde. As far as other group sin the area, I saw only the tracks from the east and those that headed back"

Looking back at the goblin, Whats your name little one. Taking out a copper coin he flips it to the goblin threw the bars. Not gold, but its shiny, and all yours. Might have more for you too if you keep being such a good little one.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Orc in the Playground

Lifting his eyes roofward, Dukark begins to speak again

"Tarth, the Goblin doesn't need to count, it simply needs to make a decent guess, if we need to follow this "Long-Shanks" do you not think it would be best to know what sort of force he has brought with him?"

Again he turns back to the Goblin

"Now, how many of your group left with the Long-Shanks? Was there anyone else with him?"
    Last edited by Molosse; 2012-10-31 at 09:08 AM.