New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Rise of the Runelords - Atessia

Stepping forward from his spot near the back of the room,

Sheriff, what elves have you seen in the area recently? How many are settled near here? Would they have any reason that you know of for harming Sandpoint?

And on an unrelated note, why are both you and Foxglove named for toxic plants? Is there a human naming convention I am unaware of? Please forgive this question if it offends, I am just naturally curious of such things.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

" Of course we need to know more about our foe, but dont you think you might be asking a bit much of the goblin? I dont know about you but on my travels, Ive never known a goblin able to explain his masters plans.

Turning to stand between the goblin and Dukark, his eyes narrow as he gives him a once over. " We should stick to gathering info he might actually know. Like where HE is from, if he was told anything other then to loot and kill, or if he heard any of his masters plans." No point in asking the impossible unless....you are looking for something...or some reason to kill him. heh, that's what you inquisitors do isn't it though? Push and probe looking for anything that you can use to burn your captive with. What kind of dark god demands their followers to go out and make slaves of men?

Tarths anger flashes for a moment, then his face loses all emotion as he looks away, biting his tongue. "We shouldnt fight, we are suppose to be on the same side, for now at least, if you doubt my claims or skill at tracking I suggest you go see for yourself. "
    Last edited by Tarth; 2012-10-31 at 10:25 AM.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Halfling in the Playground

"I don't think we really need to track the goblins or find out much of anything about why they attacked" he slides in his chair to look at the others and particularly the bickering pair.

"since to goblin reconfirmed what tarth has discovered, it seems like the true problem of this town is this elf and maybe this goblinoid king that's taken over his tribe. we need to figure out what they came for, and what they took away, with their distraction"

"who ever they are they definitely didn't care very much in sacrificing an entire goblin army or the lives of the villagers of this town to get what they came for, so what ever it is, it must be worth more then an army"

"we should take a look around that graveyard once we're done here" he shifts his attention back to the goblin expecting little from the grunt and picking up his blade again "why were the goblins so eager to trust an elf? he must of done something to convince your new chief to attack the village?"
    Last edited by calisk; 2012-10-31 at 10:53 AM.

4. - Top - End - #64

The goblin catches the coin, puts it to its mouth, bites down, makes a sour face, and tosses the coin aside.

"Big goblin says only part of tribe goes with longshanks, other part goes east with big goblin. Other part bigger. Tribe draws straws to see who gets to go burn stuff, I dinn't wants to go but the mean goblins makes me, I'm not a mean goblin, I just wants to go home and not hurts even a yummy fly. Longshanks says only four goblins get to go with him on secret mission."

Tarth, four goblins and an elf more or less matches up with the number of footprints you saw heading into the cemetary.

The sheriff turns to Tavi. "Only elves I know of around here are the Kaijitsus, but old Lonjiku's been here since the beginning of the town, and his daughter grew up here. No reason either of them would want to see this place come to ruin. As for your other question, who do you mean Foxglove? I don't know anyone by that name."

5. - Top - End - #65

The goblin turns back to Slithir. "Big goblin tells chief to tells tribe to work with longshanks elf, promises lots of burning, chief says no, so big goblin tears chief's head off and now we listens to big goblin. Big goblin says longshanks is friend, and we gets to burns and stabs stuff, so longshanks is friend."

6. - Top - End - #66

"very well, their isn't much else I need to ask, we should check out this graveyard and find out where these tracks tarth found lead." with that slithir stands up and sheathes his blade.

"when we return you have my word that we'll set you free, and you'll have a blade to take with you." with that slithir steps away from the cage and speaks to quietly to his companions and the sheriff.

"if we stop this elf and kill this chief the goblins should leave this village alone, and if I understand their culture correctly all we need to do is say this goblin is our leader they'd name him the new chief and if we give him a big enough weapon they might just believe it, shouldn't be hard to convince him that he wants to be in charge . I doubt he'd cause much trouble for your village sheriff either way, regardless if we need to find their village we can release this goblin with some kind of scented weapon and tarth can use his tracking ability he's so proud of to track him back to his home, assuming he doesn't lead us their of his own free will so he can be chief"

"traps and ambushes are likely so we'll need to tread carefully if we follow them through their own territories"

Spoiler
    Show
    followers of torag are supposed to be planners, strategists, perfectionists one of the reasons why I liked this god so much and why I wouldn't let myself have a 9 in wisdom, anyway this will mean i'll be trying to lay plans down alot.
    Last edited by calisk; 2012-10-31 at 12:14 PM.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

Surely, Sheriff, the man that our pointy-eared companion saved just the other day was named Aldern Foxglove? Perhaps he was just passing through, I will admit I wasn't paying too much attention to his words.

Tavi is clearly a little unsettled by the Sheriff's lack of recognition of a, he is told, quite prominent name. Even if the man in question is maybe just passing through this relatively small town.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sense Motive

(1d20)[11]

Knowledge-Nobility

(1d20+5)[8]

8. - Top - End - #68

"Oh, that guy. I know who you mean," Hemlock says. "He just showed up the day before the festival, I haven't spoken with him before. Aldern Foxglove, got it. Can't say I know of any connection with the name."

As far as Tavi can tell, the sheriff's confusion is genuine. He doesn't seem to recognize the name of Foxglove - then again, Tavi hasn't heard it before either, except from the lips of the man you saved.

The goblin's face contorts at Slithir's words, and he starts to shriek again. "You says stabby and goes home now! Want to goes home now!"

The sheriff, speaking quietly, turns to Slithir. "If you think it'll help, I don't see this guy causing much more trouble if we let him out, once you're done investigating."

9. - Top - End - #69

ignoring the goblins comments slithir continues to speak with the sheriff, looking far more stern then he did when speaking with the goblin. "he's of little threat on his own, if not for the fact that we might need him I'd say let him go now, toss him a chicken or something for his help till we return".

slithir turns to the group "as for the rest of you, keep your wits about you, I intend to clear up this towns problems as quickly as possible, this elf..." slithir shakes his head "something feels off about this" with that slithir heads outside while looking at the broken ring on his finger contemplating what our next step will be.
    Last edited by calisk; 2012-10-31 at 12:56 PM.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

"We gave him our word. We must see it through"

Spoiler
    Show
    Was making a general statement about letting him go in the talk with the sheriff. you just posted while I was typing. Im only in a fight with Dukurk since im fairly sure hes evil as all get out. he doesnt HEAL!!! Clearly hes evil if gods and spells cant heal him.
    Last edited by Tarth; 2012-10-31 at 01:33 PM.

11. - Top - End - #71

"I said he'd get a weapon and we'd release him if he helped us and he will get both, but I never said when, he's safer in this cell then out their right now, obviously the goblins are being controlled, and the ones in charge don't care how many goblins die to accomplish their task, besides if he returns to the village and attacks us later, will you be the one to kill him?"

Spoiler
    Show
    if you weren't talking to me or about releasing the goblin then ignore this comment
    Last edited by calisk; 2012-10-31 at 01:27 PM.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ettin in the Playground

Telra had been standing in silence up until the Tengu commented about planning on honouring his agreement with the Goblin.

He leaned close to Slithir and, in a lowered voice so as the Goblin didn't overhear him, said "I'm sorry? This Goblin is clearly lying, but you're going to release it with a weapon?"

GLaDOS Avatar and Pokémon Sig. by me

Spoiler: Alternate Avatars
    Show

Leah and Saura, Summer Rose, and Firebrand by me

13. - Top - End - #73

With the goblin's shrieks in the background, the group fell into bickering over what to do with the goblin prisoner. Dukark and Tavi were strongly against the idea of releasing the goblin, certain any attempt to make use of him would backfire; Tarth was strongly opposed to killing the helpless prisoner, which was Dukark and Tavi's suggestion.

The sheriff ducked out to write something up, telling the group to let him know when they were ready to investigate the graveyard. The group continued debating, and nearly came to violence; Tarth revealed that he had scant trust for Dukark, viewing his inability to be healed by the grace of the gods as a clear sign of malignancy, and prepared to strike Dukark down if he moved against the goblin.

Fortunately, cooler heads prevailed; Slithir and Telra proposed the compromise of leaving the goblin to Sandpoint's justice system. Dukark agreed, deciding the goblin wasn't his problem and just wanting to move on; Tarth and Tavi agreed as well. The group left the basement jail, resolved to leave the goblin to the people of Sandpoint, and returned to Hemlock ready to investigate the cemetary.

14. - Top - End - #74

Sheriff Hemlock nods when he hears your decision to leave the goblin in jail. "We'll figure out what to do with him, don't worry."

The five of you, and the sheriff, leave the guardhouse. While you were debating, Hemlock sent a guard over to the chapel to fetch Father Zantus; the priest is waiting at the cemetary's rusting iron gates when you arrive.

"Good morning to you all," the priest says when he catches sight of you. He's holding a keyring, and as he speaks he's unlocking the cemetary gates. "I'd just finished the chapel's first ceremony when your guard showed up; it was supposed to happen last night, but as you can imagine noone was in a fit state to worship then. Can you tell me anything about what sort of disturbance you're investigating?"
    Last edited by Mirior; 2012-10-31 at 07:08 PM.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Orc in the Playground

Following Tart's emotional, if somewhat misguided outburst, Dukark had remained mostly silent, why question the prisoner further when, despite certain interruptions,the Goblin had furnished him with the information he required.

He fails to see how why the Goblin was needed after this juncture, if released it would simply attempt to preform other atrocities upon other villages and travelers, it was amusing to see the human ranger seethe so after he suggested simply killing the Goblin, it was almost like he wished to strike him for pointing out the option. He grins slightly, it would be fun to watch him try.

Seeking to end the arguments put across by the various parties and noting the lack of logical thought among his compatriots, he decided that whatever the result, the issues of the town where only linked with his own while the group fulfilled the agreed upon contract, thus he put the issue to a vote and simply cast his upon whatever option would prevent a tie, in this case leaving the Goblin to the townsfolk.

While the discussion culminated the attending Priest from the previous days encounter arrived, bedecked in the ceremonial garb following the consecration of the chapel and its first service.

The first question out of the priests mouth, that concerning the nature of the disturbance, gave Dukark pause, truly the nature of the disturbance was still unknown, the captive had given little true information on the subject of why or who pushed for the attack, other than this mysterious "Long-Shanks"...

Shaking his head slightly and lowering his eyes to match that of the priest he responded calmly.

"Good Afternoon Father, the investigation, sadly, continues... We have however linked the goblins to movement within the nearby cemetery and we will, in all likely-hood, be turning our attention that way shortly"

He pauses slightly, it couldn't hurt to question the priest.

"Father... Is there a chance that the opening of the chapel could in some be associated with the Goblin attack? Or perhaps you have received threats towards yourself in recent days?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Oh Tarth mate since you have the whole racial thing going on, for future reference, I resemble a human, but have flattened ears, sharpened teeth, greyer skin, completely bald head (Never any growth to begin with) and slightly slanted eyes, the highbacked collar of my armour and my hooded cloak help to mask this. Just in case you want to use it at all.

16. - Top - End - #76

"Tarth has discovered tracks leading into the graveyard, this coincides to well with the goblins story before we begin tracking them, we hope to see what they were after, I hope we aren't dealing with a necromancer, but since the only thing normally kept in a graveyard is bodies I can only assume, that is what they came for"
    Last edited by calisk; 2012-10-31 at 09:07 PM.

17. - Top - End - #77

"Good heavens! The nerve of those foul creatures!"

Zantus pushes the cemetary gates open with a creak, leading the five of you and Sheriff Hemlock inside. As his eyes dart from side to side, surveying the graves, he speaks to Dukark.

"I should hope not; to intentionally try to destroy a holy celebration is a level of vileness quite beyond those savages, I would think. I certainly heard nothing leading up to the attack, I would've brought it to the sheriff's attention at once.

Also, I have prayed to Desna for enlightenment and aid regarding your... condition. I am certain the goddess has the power and will to aid you."

18. - Top - End - #78

"Well tarth where are these tracks it was your comments that brought us here"
    Last edited by calisk; 2012-10-31 at 09:19 PM.

19. - Top - End - #79

Sandpoint's cemetary is a round grassy plot, a few thin trees casting shade on the rows of graves. Four mausoleums break the profiles, rising above the gravestones - each bears a surname carved in large letters. Deverin, Scarnetti, Valdemar, Tobyn.

The graves appear undisturbed, but a trained eye can see relatively fresh goblin-sized footprints crisscrossing the cemetary. The sheriff starts walking up and down the graves, looking for signs of disturbances; Father Zantus is heading towards one the mausoleums, although he stays close enough to anyone talking to him to continue the conversation.

Spoiler
    Show
    Anyone actively searching the area, gimme a Perception check. Also, as a general point of reference, call out if I'm moving too fast; I'm assuming everyone's staying together, but let me know if your character is doing something different.

20. - Top - End - #80

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+7)[15]perception
    Last edited by calisk; 2012-10-31 at 09:25 PM.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

After what seemed like hours of bashing his head against psychopathic dribble and emotional terror the goblin is allowed to face the town for his crimes. A victory over the absurd notion of one of the party members of murdering him simply because he was done with him.

But what could one expect from a inquisitor. Tarth has traveled with enough of them to know them by their very smell. Self righteous and ruthless. Seeing enemies of their gods any anything that doesn't bow to him. Hes only ever meat one who was different and it was not this Dukark. Illogical..Whats the logic in throwing away a tool you can use against your enemy!? Wheres the logic in murdering a prisoner just because you can? Are you really that blood thirsty that you cant see how useful he could of been? Blind fool!

After leaving the guard room Lead the group through the trail the goblins had made over the wall using a ladder left by the horde. Once inside the walls Tarth lets the priest explain the layout of the land. Tarth simply points to where the tracks seem to go.
    Last edited by Tarth; 2012-10-31 at 10:26 PM.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

ignore this
    Last edited by Tarth; 2012-10-31 at 10:36 PM.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Perception roll
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+6)[11]

24. - Top - End - #84

Spoiler
    Show
    hope someone rolls better perceptions then we did
    Last edited by calisk; 2012-10-31 at 11:40 PM.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ettin in the Playground

Telra was pleased that the Goblin had been left to the locals, it really had not been their place to decide its fate in his opinion. Now they were wandering around a graveyard though, something that made him a little uncomfortable. Graveyards had always felt a little creepy to him. The Goblins had been here though, so they needed to search thoroughly.

Spoiler
    Show

Perception Roll - (1D20+5)[17]

GLaDOS Avatar and Pokémon Sig. by me

Spoiler: Alternate Avatars
    Show

Leah and Saura, Summer Rose, and Firebrand by me

26. - Top - End - #86
    Orc in the Playground

Dukark smiles gently at the Fathers comment.

"My thanks father, though I doubt a...Cure would be so easily found"

During the whole exchange Dukark had kept his head on a swivel, turning backwards and forwards, looking to confirm the words of the Ranger, it was obvious there had been activity here, but how much?

Spoiler
    Show
    I can never bloody work these dice rolls, also Tarth was your bit in speech or a thought? It seems your responding to my post, which wouldn't make sense because I hadn't been saying any of that :) [roll]1D20+8[/roll] If this dosn't work Mirior could you take it for me?
    Last edited by Molosse; 2012-11-01 at 08:10 AM.

27. - Top - End - #87

Spoiler
    Show
    molose be the smart one of us and just take 20, theirs no threat or time restraint so we all can take 20, also you did the roll correctly but you can't put a roll in an edit, that's the only thing stopping it from working, you'd need to create a new post to roll, also I'm not sure but the capital D might be messing it up
    Last edited by calisk; 2012-11-01 at 07:24 AM.

28. - Top - End - #88

slithir unsatisfied with a quick glance around decides to redouble his efforts, checking every inch of the graveyard for sign of what the goblins did here.

Spoiler
    Show
    I looked it up and your allowed to reroll perception so i'm just going to take 20 on it. my 20 roll would result in 27 and it takes 20 minutes
    Last edited by calisk; 2012-11-01 at 09:43 AM.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

Feeling that, as the majority of the group is searching around the graveyard, one Rat's nose isn't going to do much, Tavi starts instead asking questions of Zantus, hoping to find more about these recent events he'd missed out on.

So, Father, have there been many travelers through Sandpoint recently? More than usual, if so? And any that really stuck out?

Also, Father, what do you know of the glassblower outside of town? I ask out of professional curiosity, the glassblower is what drew me out this way. I appreciate that this may not be the best time to ask, but really there's not much else that we're doing here.

30. - Top - End - #90

As he walks from mausoleum to mausoleum, Zantus speaks with Tavi. "There have been travelers, of course, but no more so than usual for this time of year. Noone exceptional, although I suppose Mr. Foxglove might stand out a bit - it's not every day we have nobility visiting.

The glassblower draws a lot of people out here. Lonjiku built it shortly after Sandpoint's founding, it attracted most of our initial merchant traffic, a great boon to the town. I've heard it's closed down today, Lonjiku's still sick, but I'm sure it'll reopen soon. If his illness was anything serious, I'm sure he'd send for me to help."

Slithir notices something. One of the mausoleums, the one titled with the name of Tobyn, has a arc of disturbed earth just in front of the door, as though the door had been opened recently and scraped against the ground.
    Last edited by Mirior; 2012-11-01 at 10:44 AM.