New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: [Comics] Are We in the New 90s?

Most of these people talking about droppign new stuff remain ignorant of damn near everything they release int eh first place. People act like the only titles that exist for MArvel are X-Men and Spider-Man related so when something dumb happens with those I guess the whole line is crap. Same with DC. And **** even if they want to be dumb and ignore everything both lines offer people act like 3rd party publishers don't exist.

I'm probably going to be firing all the shots soon.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf_Haley View Post
    Most of these people talking about droppign new stuff remain ignorant of damn near everything they release int eh first place. People act like the only titles that exist for MArvel are X-Men and Spider-Man related so when something dumb happens with those I guess the whole line is crap. Same with DC. And **** even if they want to be dumb and ignore everything both lines offer people act like 3rd party publishers don't exist.

I'm probably going to be firing all the shots soon.
    It's more than Bat's and Spider-Man. Aquaman is overly self conscious to the point of getting in the way of the actual story, Green Lantern is devouring itself like some kind of retcon Ouroboros, The Avengers are taking over pretty much every book little by little, Avengers Arena is a horrible pile of crap a lot of people won't even pirate, and in terms of behind the scenes stuff things get worse and worse day after day.

The list of good, readable stuff put out by the big two is dropping from the lists I've seen(most notably everything to do with Rotworld going more or less at once in terms of praise), while the things being complained about are growing at at least the same rate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayngfet View Post
    I don't care what you feel.
    That pretty much sums up the Jayngfet experience.
    something something Jayngfet experience.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Banned

Goblin

It's more than Bat's and Spider-Man. Aquaman is overly self conscious to the point of getting in the way of the actual story, Green Lantern is devouring itself like some kind of retcon Ouroboros, The Avengers are taking over pretty much every book little by little, Avengers Arena is a horrible pile of crap a lot of people won't even pirate, and in terms of behind the scenes stuff things get worse and worse day after day.
    You just did what he said people do - you looked only at the most popular names and declared whole line to be crap. Yes, there is a list of bad comics in both companies, but on the other hand we have many new, recent or upcoming titles that seems to be good - I heard many praises about new FF, Hawkeye, Journey Into ystery with Lady Sif, Captain Marvel is quote good, and Avengers titles we have right now may be quite decent, considering who is writing them. And there are rumors that new wave of 52 is gonna cancell even 12 current series in favor of new stuff, and at this point I think only low-selling DC book people would miss is Dial H, which will probably survive anyway.

4. - Top - End - #304

Quote Originally Posted by Man on Fire View Post
    You just did what he said people do - you looked only at the most popular names and declared whole line to be crap. Yes, there is a list of bad comics in both companies, but on the other hand we have many new, recent or upcoming titles that seems to be good - I heard many praises about new FF, Hawkeye, Journey Into ystery with Lady Sif, Captain Marvel is quote good, and Avengers titles we have right now may be quite decent, considering who is writing them. And there are rumors that new wave of 52 is gonna cancell even 12 current series in favor of new stuff, and at this point I think only low-selling DC book people would miss is Dial H, which will probably survive anyway.
    I tried and didn't like most of those.

In any case, I've seen scans posted recently. Evidently Green Lantern can't even keep a continuity straight for more than a year considering New Guardians added another cluster of badness to it all. Apparently Kyle was never the last Lantern now. Only he was already established to have been. But now he was just randomly a regular old GL for ill explained reasons.

5. - Top - End - #305
    Orc in the Playground

Huh. Well, inspired by the big two having their heads up their rears and the Public Domain Superheroes wiki, I had an idea for a universe based around the Public Domain Super Heroes and open game content under the OGL that is legally usable.

I might share it with ya folks when it becomes more concrete, though I do have a few ideas I'd want to give:

-The current wave of heroes would have been running for about 5 years "Comic-book time" in the first story published, to give it an interesting history.
    -The Black Terror would be re-invented as a parody of violent 90s-ish Action Heroes.
    -The Heap would end up as a legacy character, while the original has gotten so large that he's become essentially a giant, sentient sessile swamp in the Everglades. He also has a sidekick whose essentially a heap of trash that gained sentience when a boy died in there, and has an arch-enemy in the vagly-humanoid lump of acidic orange goo known as Agent Orange, who was formerly a deranged colonel during Vietnam who ended up like this as a result of a hideous war crime he committed.
    -Cosmic characters would include Stardust: The Super Wizard, Jenny Everywhere, Jenny Nowhere, The Cannibal Planets, The Fisherman of the Stars, The Brain Bats of Venus, Detective Eye, and Marto amongst others.
    -The shared-universe underworld known as The Beyond from Charlton's horror titles would be a major thing in-setting
    -Prismasaurus, The Anaxim and the mu Spore would be some of the setting's analogues to those old Giant monsters, and there would be a hero that uses the Golem Armor and the Staff of the Magi as his "Powers"
    -Airboy would use a really elaborate Jetpack rather than a plane.

But, this is just unfocused rambling right now. I'll report back when I've actually got something.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Titan in the Playground

In other news, as of yesterday Gail Simone is the new writer of Batgirl.
    (Yes, she got rehired out of the blue after fan raeg. She tweeted the news herself).

Also... I don't see the confusion: "Classic Wester Style Superhero comics" is about as straight forward as you can get. If you don't understand what I mean with that... then sorry, I can't explain it any better.
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

7. - Top - End - #307
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Avilan the Grey View Post
    In other news, as of yesterday Gail Simone is the new writer of Batgirl.
    (Yes, she got rehired out of the blue after fan raeg. She tweeted the news herself).
    *snerk*

Maybe DC will learn yet...!

8. - Top - End - #308
    Ettin in the Playground

Captain Marvel is awful.

I don't know how you came to the conclusion that it is good, in any way shape or form, but I'm going to go ahead and tell you that you're wrong, and should feel wrong.

Just thinking about it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

9. - Top - End - #309
    Banned

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Fan View Post
    Captain Marvel is awful.

I don't know how you came to the conclusion that it is good, in any way shape or form, but I'm going to go ahead and tell you that you're wrong, and should feel wrong.

Just thinking about it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
    Im sorry, I cannot hear you over the sound of Carol Danverns doing awesome stuff.

10. - Top - End - #310
    Troll in the Playground

Im sorry, I cannot hear you over the sound of Carol Danverns doing awesome stuff.
    *cough* Carol Danvers is Ms. Marvel. Captain Marvel is the big guy with the white cape.

*EDIT* Oh, hey, I'm wrong. How did they get away with that? Are there two monthly Captain Marvel titles now?
    Last edited by Friv; 2012-12-23 at 12:22 AM.
    If you like my thoughts, you'll love my writing. Visit me at www.mishahandman.com.

11. - Top - End - #311
    Banned

Goblin

I was pretty sure that DC Captain Marvel goes under name Shazam now. Carol is Captain Marvel at Marvel. And she rocks!
    Last edited by Man on Fire; 2012-12-23 at 03:48 AM.

12. - Top - End - #312
    Banned

Goblin

Just read first 6 issues of Gladstone's School For World Conquerors. It's good. Really good. And as adorable as I thought it would be. Go and read it.

13. - Top - End - #313
    Ettin in the Playground

I was pretty sure that DC Captain Marvel goes under name Shazam now. Carol is Captain Marvel at Marvel. And she rocks!
    I was talking about DC Captain Marvel, who does go by Captain Marvel.

Shazam is the wizard who grants him his powers.

Marvel Captain Marvel is fine.
    Last edited by Fan; 2012-12-23 at 02:24 PM.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fan View Post
    I was talking about DC Captain Marvel, who does go by Captain Marvel.
    No, Man on Fire is right. He goes by Shazam now.

All in all, his new look isn't that bad, and though people complain about the new Billy Batson being kind of ☠☠☠☠.

15. - Top - End - #315
    Banned

Goblin

16. - Top - End - #316

*cough*

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #317
    Banned

Goblin

I'm pretty sure that making fun of leukemia is violation of forum rules. And seriously, I seen it on 4chan yesterday. It wasn't funny then, it isn't funny now. It's not pointing out the irony, it' disregarding kid's very real tragedy in order to whine about death of fictional character. It's just simply disgusting and anybody who posts that should feel ashamed of themselves.

18. - Top - End - #318

I'm pretty sure that making fun of leukemia is violation of forum rules. And seriously, I seen it on 4chan yesterday. It wasn't funny then, it isn't funny now. It's not pointing out the irony, it' disregarding kid's very real tragedy in order to whine about death of fictional character. It's just simply disgusting and anybody who posts that should feel ashamed of themselves.
    ...Why do you assume I'm making fun of a kids Lukemia? I'm just pointing out the Irony of the situation, in that this letter came out earlier out this year, and this is what happens. There is no joke anywhere on that page, unless I'm missing it. This is, to the best of my knowledge, an actual letter sent by an actual kid about a relevant topic. You claiming that I'm making fun of a kid for throwing up a letter written by him without making any changes is kind of a jerk move man.
    Last edited by Jayngfet; 2012-12-24 at 06:33 AM.

19. - Top - End - #319
    Ettin in the Playground

Uh...what happened with Cap?

20. - Top - End - #320
    Banned

Goblin

...Why do you assume I'm making fun of a kids Lukemia? I'm just pointing out the Irony of the situation, in that this letter came out earlier out this year, and this is what happens. There is no joke anywhere on that page, unless I'm missing it. This is, to the best of my knowledge, an actual letter sent by an actual kid about a relevant topic. You claiming that I'm making fun of a kid for throwing up a letter written by him without making any changes is kind of a jerk move man.
    No, you misunderstood.
    I'm saing that posting this picture is like saying "look, this kid says that he'll beat leukemia like Spidey beats Ock and Ock has beaten Spider-Man, so that means the kid will die and Slott/Marvel killed him" is disrespectful towards the kid. You are using somebody's very real tragedy and very real struggle against very real and very horrible form of cancer to make a joke about decision regarding fictional character that you don't like, like if it didn't matter. That's just a jerk mo..... no, that's a f***ing d**k move! Leukemia is a serious subject, not something you should use to make "oooh the irony" jokes!

21. - Top - End - #321
    Ettin in the Playground

No, you misunderstood.
    I'm saing that posting this picture is like saying "look, this kid says that he'll beat leukemia like Spidey beats Ock and Ock has beaten Spider-Man, so that means the kid will die and Slott/Marvel killed him" is disrespectful towards the kid. You are using somebody's very real tragedy and very real struggle against very real and very horrible form of cancer to make a joke about decision regarding fictional character that you don't like, like if it didn't matter. That's just a jerk mo..... no, that's a f***ing d**k move! Leukemia is a serious subject, not something you should use to make "oooh the irony" jokes!
    Yo.

Calm down.

Coming from me of all people on this planet, you've really taken this a bit far, and I am THE KING of taking things too far. It's what I do.

I'm also an Oncologist, treating cancer is what I do. This isn't something I'm making up. I've been there when a little girl died of Osteosarcoma, I held her hand as her life passed. If anyone has a reason to be angry about not taking cancer seriously, it's also me.

Calm down.
    Last edited by Fan; 2012-12-24 at 08:43 AM.

22. - Top - End - #322

No, you misunderstood.
    Dude, calm the hell down. You're making typos and trying to get around censors and coming off like a jerk.

There was no joke there. There was just a picture presented with almost no comment, with me having done nothing to it. You've chosen to get offended literally of your own violition by seeing contexts that aren't there. I didn't say any of that stuff. I pretty much didn't say ANYTHING.

23. - Top - End - #323
    Banned

Goblin

Bringing up this thing at all in that context is disrespectful towards the kid.

This letter is from April, nobody had ever brought it up until ASM #700 leaked, nobody cared about that kid until they could use his suffering to talk about Spider-Man. People who first brought this thing up put that kid on pedestal and told whole internet to point a finger at him and laugh and used his tragedy a an excuse to whine about Spider-Man, while if the ending of #700 was any different, they wouldn't give a @#$% about him. By bringing this picture at all you show that you approve their disgusting behavior. You are joinging people who are treating kid, whose life is already pretty dam bad I assure you, like a dirt by bringing that picture at all.

You didn't cared about the kid until you could, as you yourself has described it, "point out the irony", by posting this for that sole purpose you just proved that a real life suffering person doesn't matter to you, but a fictional character does, you couldn't be more disrespectful towards that kid if you smeared his front door in extrements.

EDIT: I have reported your post to forum administration.
    Last edited by Man on Fire; 2012-12-24 at 05:32 PM.

24. - Top - End - #324

Bringing up this thing at all in that context is disrespectful towards the kid.
    I disagree with this idea on a fundamental level. It implies that because he has a condition, anything he does should never, ever be brought up. It essentially means you're shutting out everything he says out of a vague idea of respect without knowing what the kid himself wants. You, in and of that statement, are probably being more disrespectful on principal than I've been.

This letter is from April, nobody had ever brought it up until ASM #700 leaked, nobody cared about that kid until they could use his suffering to talk about Spider-Man. People who first brought this thing up put that kid on pedestal and told whole internet to point a finger at him and laugh and used his tragedy a an excuse to whine about Spider-Man, while if the ending of #700 was any different, they wouldn't give a @#$% about him. By bringing this picture at all you show that you approve their disgusting behavior. You are joinging people who are treating kid, whose life is already pretty dam bad I assure you, like a dirt by bringing that picture at all.

You didn't cared about the kid until you could, as you yourself has described it, "point out the irony", by posting this for that sole purpose you just proved that a real life suffering person doesn't matter to you, but a fictional character does, you couldn't be more disrespectful towards that kid if you smeared his front door in extrements.

EDIT: I have reported your post to forum administration.
    Ok, first thing, your grammar and spelling are still terrible. Clean it up, because it's hard to keep things straight with what you're saying.

Second thing, I didn't know about the letter until right before it was posted. I didn't read that particular issue, so it wasn't brought to my attention until the letter recently took on a new context.

EDIT: You're reporting things that only you, personally, seem to be taking offense with. An actual medical student just weighed in and didn't take offense. You, in and of yourself, are the only one taking offense to something that you explicitly chose to read as a joke, and are explicitly choosing to get offended about despite a whole lot of the context being things you decided as opposed to things I've written. The only reason you're doing this is because you saw someone joke about it on 4chan of all places, and because right before you were making jokes about comics by quoting a low quality webcomic.
    Last edited by Jayngfet; 2012-12-24 at 06:14 PM.

25. - Top - End - #325
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Sheriff: Locked for review.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex