New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Naruto V: Eye See Your Sharingan and Raise You a Rinnegan

Quote Originally Posted by Xondoure View Post
    Right. Incredibly strong smells might make it harder to smell other things but it isn't damaging. And farts are not strong enough to cause that sort of reaction. Dogs spend a lot of time sniffing other dogs butts.
    Farts can be rank enough to make MY eyes burn, and me choke on the stench. I cant even imagine what would happen if my nose was 5x more sensitive. Why dont doggy noses explode in rank smells? I dunno, but its probably similar to why they dont see the same colors we do. A human nose that is 5x stronger than normal would process smells differently than a bloodhound would. So who is to say they wouldnt be brutally overwhelmed by what we already consider to be strong and noxious odors?
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

Right. Incredibly strong smells might make it harder to smell other things but it isn't damaging. And farts are not strong enough to cause that sort of reaction. Dogs spend a lot of time sniffing other dogs butts.
    See, the thing here is that you're thinking of how dogs smell. Not how humans would smell if their sense of smell was amplified to be as strong as a dog's. By this I am not saying that they'd replace their normal, human sense of smell with a dog's, just that their sense of smell would be much stronger. That is what Kiba has, and since humans can have strong reactions to farts (not all farts and not all humans of course), the reaction would likely be also likewise amplified.

Dogs are used to smelling butts. Humans aren't. And certainly not while their sense of smell is amplified.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

3. - Top - End - #123
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    See, the thing here is that you're thinking of how dogs smell. Not how humans would smell if their sense of smell was amplified to be as strong as a dog's. By this I am not saying that they'd replace their normal, human sense of smell with a dog's, just that their sense of smell would be much stronger. That is what Kiba has, and since humans can have strong reactions to farts (not all farts and not all humans of course), the reaction would likely be also likewise amplified.

Dogs are used to smelling butts. Humans aren't. And certainly not while their sense of smell is amplified.
    See when I look at the clan with it's dynamic marking abilities and shapeshifting into canine abilities, I'm pretty sold on the fact that Kiba's abilities are all dog like, and not necessarily human. Even so, a human with amplified smelling probably still wouldn't have that reaction. For one, he wouldn't instantly smell it since that requires breathing in. And secondly, as has been mentioned, overloading the olfactory senses is very different than bursting ear drums or blinding someone. The smell has to be very strong. Farts don't cut it.
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #124

See when I look at the clan with it's dynamic marking abilities and shapeshifting into canine abilities, I'm pretty sold on the fact that Kiba's abilities are all dog like, and not necessarily human. Even so, a human with amplified smelling probably still wouldn't have that reaction. For one, he wouldn't instantly smell it since that requires breathing in. And secondly, as has been mentioned, overloading the olfactory senses is very different than bursting ear drums or blinding someone. The smell has to be very strong. Farts don't cut it.
    When I look at the inuzaka, I see them being able to alter themselves to look more feral, not turning into dogs. Their teeth get longer and sharper, so do their nails, and I think their hair gets wilder. They dont grow tails, or fur, or even start to speak in bow wows. If anything, they tend to turn their dogs into feral looking humans. They have that one big attack where they become a two headed wolf sure, but that doesnt mean they have literal dog abilities anymore than gamabunta is growing a fur coat because naruto turned him into the kyuubi once.

They dont have dog noses transplanted onto them, they have human noses that are as sensitive as a dogs, (give or take, I dont know if they ever quantified it exactly) and if we can be made ill off a smell without a boosted sense, I dont see the problem in a highly boosted human nose feeling like its on fire when it smells something awful.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ettin in the Playground

It was a bad joke, and the fact that a Fart ended the fight should be looked down upon as an immature solution to a fight the character shouldn't have won otherwise.

Fart humor was never funny, and that's all it was.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fan View Post
    It was a bad joke, and the fact that a Fart ended the fight should be looked down upon as an immature solution to a fight the character shouldn't have won otherwise.

Ya, sadly for you there's quite a few people who disagree with you. Scatological humor has been a mainstay of the species humor since we could string sentences together. We've found fart jokes in the ruins of Pompey. Something doesn't continue as long as far and crap jokes unless people find them funny. You may not find them funny but hey...your opinion and all that.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Troll in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fan View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Tebryn View Post
    Ya, sadly for you there's quite a few people who disagree with you. Scatological humor has been a mainstay of the species humor since we could string sentences together. We've found fart jokes in the ruins of Pompey. Something doesn't continue as long as far and crap jokes unless people find them funny. You may not find them funny but hey...your opinion and all that.
    Louis C.K. once explained why fart jokes are funny. It boiled down to:

1. It comes out of your ass.
    2. It smells like poop because that's where it's been.
    3. It makes a little trumpet noise.

Really, I don't think there's anything wrong with finding fart jokes funny. It's just a silly bodily function.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Troll in the Playground

I disagree. It is something only the immature find funny, because the "funny" is based on nothing more than the taboo nature of the subject. There is nothing intelligent or thought provoking about that kind of humor.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Troll in the Playground

[QUOTE=Tebryn;14155497]Ya, sadly for you there's quite a few people who disagree with you. Scatological humor has been a mainstay of the species humor since we could string sentences together. We've found fart jokes in the ruins of Pompey. snipQUOTE]

that would explain why they didn't run away from the exploding volcano
    Warlock Poetry?
    Or ways to use me in game?
    Better grab a drink...

Currently ruining Strahd's day - Avatar by the Outstanding Smuchsmuch

First Ordained Jr. Tormlet by LoyalPaladin

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Drolyt View Post
    I disagree. It is something only the immature find funny, because the "funny" is based on nothing more than the taboo nature of the subject. There is nothing intelligent or thought provoking about that kind of humor.
    That reason only works in societies where farts are of a taboo nature though.

Humor is very culturally subjective. For instance, nowadays a lot of people find puns lame, whereas a century or two-three-four ago they were regarded as being near the pinnacle of humor.

11. - Top - End - #131

And Naruto was an anime written for high brow intellectuals that are in their mid 40s or older?

12. - Top - End - #132
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    And Naruto was an anime written for high brow intellectuals that are in their mid 40s or older?
    Traab vs. Drolyt: 1-0
    Warlock Poetry?
    Better grab a drink...

13. - Top - End - #133
    Bugbear in the Playground

Yeah...Naruto has more then just the fart jokes when it comes to immature humor. I mean, just look at the recent Obito flashbacks. There was multiple poop jokes. MULTIPLE POOP JOKES. This manga was obviously created with an audience much younger then much of the playground in mind and to that audience what some here believe to me "immature" would probably be quite funny.
    Last edited by Giegue; 2012-11-02 at 01:06 PM.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Mine started at a dinner party in the BBEG's estate.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Giegue View Post
    Yeah...Naruto has more then just the fart jokes when it comes to immature humor. I mean, just look at the recent Obito flashbacks. There was multiple poop jokes. MULTIPLE POOP JOKES. This manga was obviously created with a audience much younger then much of the playground in mind and to that audience what some here believe to me "immature" would probably be quite funny.
    It is called shounen for a reason.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Titan in the Playground

Are we really discussing that fart joke from the like... second arc for two pages? And that's because Kishi skips a week? What will happen to this threat when the story ever ends? Will we go on and on about... about...
    No, I think fart jokes is as low as it can get. Excuse me.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

16. - Top - End - #136
    Troll in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Nonsense. Even toilet humor can be well-crafted. Louie's second season premier did a marvelous job using the entire episode to set up a fart joke worked wonderfully. Not the least of which because the episode set you up to expect something much worse.

Maturity isn't a factor. If farts can't be funny, then you're just not being creative. Not that Kishi was being creative, but there you are.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by VanBuren View Post
    Nonsense. Even toilet humor can be well-crafted. Louie's second season premier did a marvelous job using the entire episode to set up a fart joke worked wonderfully. Not the least of which because the episode set you up to expect something much worse.

Maturity isn't a factor. If farts can't be funny, then you're just not being creative. Not that Kishi was being creative, but there you are.
    I don't really disagree with you here. The thing is, the only "funny" thing about the joke was the fart. It wasn't well crafted or creative. To find just that funny is immature.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Troll in the Playground

BlackDragon

We've gone from "Madara Uchiha: The Ninja Your Ninja Could Be Like" to Farts.

I tried asking this question to a friend in real life, so I'll ask it again here: with the complete assistance of Kurama, will Naruto be able to defeat Sauceboss since his aquisition of the Eternal Mangekyo Sharingan?

Also, how will a completely unbound Kurama fair in the Leaf Village once the War is over?

19. - Top - End - #139
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by INoKnowNames View Post
    I tried asking this question to a friend in real life, so I'll ask it again here: with the complete assistance of Kurama, will Naruto be able to defeat Sauceboss since his aquisition of the Eternal Mangekyo Sharingan?
    Well, he at least shouldn't have to worry about genjutsu with Kurama countering it the way 8-tails does for Bee. That's the one straight up trump card that would formerly have been an instant win for one side.

With that out of the way, both sides have attacks and defenses of such ridiculous magnitude that it's really up to author fiat which attack beats which defense.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

20. - Top - End - #140
    Troll in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I don't really disagree with you here. The thing is, the only "funny" thing about the joke was the fart. It wasn't well crafted or creative. To find just that funny is immature.
    According to you, anyway. On the other hand, I'd argue that trying to categorize the maturity level of a person based on what amuses them isn't terribly mature either.

Some people find farts funny, others don't. I don't think you can really draw anything more substantial out of it than that.

21. - Top - End - #141

Quote Originally Posted by INoKnowNames View Post
    Also, how will a completely unbound Kurama fair in the Leaf Village once the War is over?
    It's ok, Naruto and Kurama brofisted they HAVE to be ok with it.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    It's ok, Naruto and Kurama brofisted they HAVE to be ok with it.
    I'd say after Kurama helps to stop the ninja world war the villagers should be fine... but since this is the village that shunned it's heroes son because he was burdened with imprisoning the evil that nearly destroyed their village they might as well decide to kill half their war heroes afterwards.

But really I don't think Kurama will live in the village. He's just too big. I guess the tailed beasts will just... I don't know. Migrate to some place far away from humanity. Or die.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

23. - Top - End - #143

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    I'd say after Kurama helps to stop the ninja world war the villagers should be fine... but since this is the village that shunned it's heroes son because he was burdened with imprisoning the evil that nearly destroyed their village they might as well decide to kill half their war heroes afterwards.

But really I don't think Kurama will live in the village. He's just too big. I guess the tailed beasts will just... I don't know. Migrate to some place far away from humanity. Or die.
    Well, lets be honest. If Naruto doesn't become Hokage, he becomes a sage like Jirayia and just travels around. The entire world will be his home, and I imagine that's big enough for Kurama.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Well, lets be honest. If Naruto doesn't become Hokage, he becomes a sage like Jirayia and just travels around. The entire world will be his home, and I imagine that's big enough for Kurama.
    I would actally prefer that to him becoming hokage...
    Warlock Poetry?
    Better grab a drink...

25. - Top - End - #145

Quote Originally Posted by Socratov View Post
    I would actally prefer that to him becoming hokage...
    I wouldnt. That was his goal. Day 1, being hokage was his goal. Day 100 it was his goal. Day 1000 it was still his goal. To have him be the grand victor, the big badass who saves the world, then say, "See ya guys, im goin wanderin!" just would strike me as wrong. Dont get me wrong, I see a thousand and one ways that could be the end result, I just would like that whole grand happy ending.

Unfortunately, I have the sinking feeling we wont get it. In order to end up that way we would need the full return of the king treatment, which means hinata or SOMEONE would have to be the acknowledged partner of naruto, so we could have the grand wedding, the grand crowning of the kage hat, the cheering crowds, the triumphant speech, and fade to black. But naruto has no partner, he got his triumph with the end of the pein arc right? I mean, the full on cheering, everybody loves him acknowledgement he had been after all his life? While im sure there will be some big ceremony, possibly even one where the hat gets offered to him, I bet naruto will turn it down and proclaim that he has achieved his goals, and instead of being kage, he will wander the world solving problems and promoting peace, or some such thing. Possibly with kurama next to him. He will be kwai chang kane with a fox.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Titan in the Playground

At this point, I wouldn't mind if Naruto no longer became Hokage. Yes, it's been his lifelong goal, but why? It was to get recognition from others and be respected, later on to protect the village as well. I think after all of this Naruto will be getting recognition and respect from everyone in all the five major countries (plus the Land of Iron, and of course the Land of Waves), so he might not feel like he needs the position anymore. Plus the greatest threat has been taken out, so the village is in less need of protection, at least for a little while until squabbling arises between countries again. Being a travelling sage might befit his idea of protection better, or he may be inclined to take up the path out of respect for his mentor.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Troll in the Playground

He might just become Kage, as ruler of the united ninja world.
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #148
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by VanBuren View Post
    Some people find farts funny, others don't. I don't think you can really draw anything more substantial out of it than that.
    You just aren't trying hard enough.

Seriously though, would you find it odd if a grown adult liked Sesame Street and watched it every day? If so, why? If not, why not? Besides, it is observational fact that younger people find scatological humor funnier. There are other possible explanations for that, but I find it likely that it is simply a matter of maturity.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

You just aren't trying hard enough.

Seriously though, would you find it odd if a grown adult liked Sesame Street and watched it every day? If so, why? If not, why not? Besides, it is observational fact that younger people find scatological humor funnier. There are other possible explanations for that, but I find it likely that it is simply a matter of maturity.
    Maturity isn't a sliding scale. You don't become "Mature" at a certain age. People are immature about things and mature about other things. You don't find scatological humor funny. That's cool. Calling people who find it funny children isn't just presumptuous but insulting. Anderson Cooper laughed at a fart joke on air to the point he couldn't do his show for a few mintues. Do you consider Anderson Cooper, one of the most recognized American News Anchors of our age, as a child? Not to mention Observational Fact also shows that full grown adults find scatological humor funny. Chaucer, considered widely as one of the greatest English Authors of all time, had more than a few fart jokes in his Canterbury Tales. Is that book somehow -less- because of it? What you "simply find" to be a matter of what ever has no baring on anything at all. Do you know Le Petomane? I'd look him up.
    Last edited by Tebryn; 2012-11-03 at 12:55 PM.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Troll in the Playground

Maturity isn't a sliding scale. You don't become "Mature" at a certain age. People are immature about things and mature about other things. You don't find scatological humor funny. That's cool.
    Nothing to disagree with so far.
    Calling people who find it funny children isn't just presumptuous but insulting.
    I don't recall ever doing this. There is a difference between saying something is immature and saying it is wrong to like something immature. I read Naruto don't I?
    Anderson Cooper laughed at a fart joke on air to the point he couldn't do his show for a few mintues. Do you consider Anderson Cooper, one of the most recognized American News Anchors of our age, as a child? Not to mention Observational Fact also shows that full grown adults find scatological humor funny. Chaucer, considered widely as one of the greatest English Authors of all time, had more than a few fart jokes in his Canterbury Tales. Is that book somehow -less- because of it? What you "simply find" to be a matter of what ever has no baring on anything at all. Do you know Le Petomane? I'd look him up.
    I still don't recall where I said that anyone who laughs at a fart joke is a child? Was it the Sesame Street example? I was simply offering a counterpoint to the claim that someones interests have no bearing on their maturity, I wasn't trying to say that there is something wrong with someone who enjoys scatological humor. I still maintain it is immature, but I'm not sure this conversation is going anywhere.