New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Default Asking something of someone - how to?

So, how do I go about doing that? The situation is this: a friend of mine from college invited me to this haunted house type thingie, and that sounds pretty awesome. I mean, go back to my college, see people I haven't see in awhile, go to some college haunted house, eat a crap tone of candy. Cool deals right? Problem is, I don't have anywhere to stay. The invite was a little vague. Basically, they invited me via inviting me to the Facebook page that had the event info. They never directly said "Hey, wanna stay at my place for a few days to go to this thing?" Maybe they did - I'm not sure - all I know is I'm invited and they didn't say anything about if I could stay with them. I'm assuming it's cool if I could crash with them a few days, but again, I'm not completely sure. How would I go about asking this? I figured something like this:

"Hey. Saw you invited me to this haunted house? Sounds cool. I'd love to get back down there and see people again. Mind if I crash at your place a few days since I don't have residency there? I'd appreciate it. Thanks."

That sound good? Oh, and one last thing that may play an issue. I'm male and she's female - just in case you think gender might be an issue and she'd be more inclined to say no because of this.

Thanks for any advice.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Asking something of someone - how to?

I suppose it would mostly depend on how good of friends and what sort of stuff you did with this friend before, regardless of gender.
    If you don't feel comfortable asking directly then I would say instead say something like "I would like to go down there but I can't really afford a hotel while I'm there" which would then leave it up to her to invite you to stay. It also gives her the option of maybe having another suggestion such as some other friend that might be better equipped to have someone extra stay with them.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Just ask them, I'd say, it's no big deal. I mean, the worst they might say is no, they can't do that.

Just be polite and don't pressure them, and don't sound like you're already assuming they'll host you. You'll be fine!
    Si non confectus, non reficiat.

The beautiful girl is courtesy of Serpentine
    My S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripjat Let's Play! Please give it a read, more than one constant reader would be nice!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Erloas View Post
    I suppose it would mostly depend on how good of friends and what sort of stuff you did with this friend before, regardless of gender.
    Apparently good enough to be invited. Honestly, I've never seen myself as being too close to this person. I actually see them as more a friend of friend. I don't dislike them, I just don't remember hanging out with them on too many occasions.

If you don't feel comfortable asking directly then I would say instead say something like "I would like to go down there but I can't really afford a hotel while I'm there" which would then leave it up to her to invite you to stay. It also gives her the option of maybe having another suggestion such as some other friend that might be better equipped to have someone extra stay with them.
    I have no problem asking them directly. I'm just wondering if my wording sounded good.

Quote Originally Posted by GolemsVoice View Post
    Just ask them, I'd say, it's no big deal. I mean, the worst they might say is no, they can't do that.

Just be polite and don't pressure them, and don't sound like you're already assuming they'll host you. You'll be fine!
    Cool. I'll send them a message later today.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

If there's a waffle house, 7-11, or other 24hr business with a public restroom in town, you can sleep in your car and ask this friend if you can shower at her place.

Just a thought.

Anyway, unless there's some prior event to create awkwardness or she's a person that's particularly sensitive in regards to classic decorum, the phrasing you've suggested should be okay.

I've found that it's best to simply ignore gender for the most part. It's not a big deal unless you make it one.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

I'd personally raise the issue without asking outright..
    that way she can offer to let you crash and it takes away any feeling of "having imposed" or somesuch.
    and if she doesn't offer it, then there's a good chance that she would only have accepted under the strain of some sort of obbligation but would rather not have you.
    or she could offer to help find a place to crash at alternative to hers, if she has an issue with that.
    I'd say something in the way of "I'd really love tocome..the only thing is I don't quite know where to put my sleeping bag and really don't feel like sleeping in the car. do you know if anybody is opening their house/living room/basement/spare room for people from out of town, on the occasion?"

or something less explicitly hinting at the correct response to that ..but still in that direction.
    but that's because I'm crap at asking for stuff from people and would rather spend money I shouldn't be spending that ask a favour...which I am not advocating as correct behaviour.
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Eh, I'd just ask. Going all sorta passive-aggressive about it doesn't sound like the best way to go about it to be honest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

Well, I just sent her the message. I'll report back later playgrounders and tell you all how it went.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Epic View Post
    "Hey. Saw you invited me to this haunted house? Sounds cool. I'd love to get back down there and see people again. Mind if I crash at your place a few days since I don't have residency there? I'd appreciate it. Thanks."
    Almost. The wording you are looking for is:

"Hey. Saw you invited me to this haunted house? Sounds cool. I'd love to get back down there and see people again. Do you know where I can crash a few days since I don't have residency there?"
    By asking "do you know a place I can crash" instead of "can I crash at your place" you don't put any pressure on her, so if she doesn't want you on her couch, there are no hard feelings. And if she does want to host you (and it's likely that was her intention all along when the invite was sent!) she can just say "yeah, you can crash with me".

As an added bonus, if she doesn't want to host you, she is now forced to refer you to someone who can.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

Well, I just sent her the message. I'll report back later playgrounders and tell you all how it went.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zdrak View Post
    By asking "do you know a place I can crash" instead of "can I crash at your place" you don't put any pressure on her, so if she doesn't want you on her couch, there are no hard feelings. And if she does want to host you (and it's likely that was her intention all along when the invite was sent!) she can just say "yeah, you can crash with me".

As an added bonus, if she doesn't want to host you, she is now forced to refer you to someone who can.
    Cool. I'll just go back in time and change the wording in the message I sent a few days ago because I can totally time travel.

In other news, still no word back. I'm beginning to think the answer is no.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Apparently good enough to be invited. Honestly, I've never seen myself as being too close to this person. I actually see them as more a friend of friend. I don't dislike them, I just don't remember hanging out with them on too many occasions.
    Conceivably this is just one of those mass Facebook invites. I get those from time to time from people who are on my friends list but I don't really talk to much, if at all. How many other people were invited? If its a small number then it is a more directed invite. If its a HUGE number than its probably a mass invite.

Seems a little late for advice now, but its good to know for the future.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Chen View Post
    Conceivably this is just one of those mass Facebook invites. I get those from time to time from people who are on my friends list but I don't really talk to much, if at all. How many other people were invited? If its a small number then it is a more directed invite. If its a HUGE number than its probably a mass invite.

Seems a little late for advice now, but its good to know for the future.
    You humans and your foolish social customs. I swear I'll never understand them.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

So, how do I go about doing that? The situation is this: a friend of mine from college invited me to this haunted house type thingie, and that sounds pretty awesome. I mean, go back to my college, see people I haven't see in awhile, go to some college haunted house, eat a crap tone of candy. Cool deals right? Problem is, I don't have anywhere to stay. The invite was a little vague. Basically, they invited me via inviting me to the Facebook page that had the event info. They never directly said "Hey, wanna stay at my place for a few days to go to this thing?" Maybe they did - I'm not sure - all I know is I'm invited and they didn't say anything about if I could stay with them. I'm assuming it's cool if I could crash with them a few days, but again, I'm not completely sure. How would I go about asking this? I figured something like this:

That sound good? Oh, and one last thing that may play an issue. I'm male and she's female - just in case you think gender might be an issue and she'd be more inclined to say no because of this.

Thanks for any advice.
    "Oh sweetest and fairest of maids, I humbly thank you for your gracious invitation. I greatly look forward to our nocturnal frolicks in this haunted house, yet I confess I find myself in dire straits.

I fear I lack a place to surrender to the embrace of Morpheus after the night's frivolities come to a close and seek your leave to remain as a guest of yours for a day or two. If you would grant me this boon, I shall be a shining example of virtue and good behaviour and shall make no attempt to engage in happycuddlefuntime, no matter how sweetly divine the temptation may be."

14. - Top - End - #14
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Succubus View Post
    "Oh sweetest and fairest of maids, I humbly thank you for your gracious invitation. I greatly look forward to our nocturnal frolicks in this haunted house, yet I confess I find myself in dire straits.

I fear I lack a place to surrender to the embrace of Morpheus after the night's frivolities come to a close and seek your leave to remain as a guest of yours for a day or two. If you would grant me this boon, I shall be a shining example of virtue and good behaviour and shall make no attempt to engage in happycuddlefuntime, no matter how sweetly divine the temptation may be."
    Stop speaking all Shakespearean!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

It's not Shakespeare! There aren't nearly as many made up words!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok
    She’s graduated from child soldier to unstable teen sorceress, way to go.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Kris View Post
    It's not Shakespeare! There aren't nearly as many made up words!
    Well I'm as sad as a cucumber since I'm not going.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Well I'm as sad as a cucumber since I'm not going.
    Got a definitive no, or still just no answer?

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    Got a definitive no, or still just no answer?
    Still no answer, and I sent it to her over a week ago, I know she's been on Facebook and would have seen the message (I saw in my feed some of her status updates) and the haunted house opens tomorrow, and runs through Saturday. I'm pretty sure I got my answer.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Still no answer, and I sent it to her over a week ago, I know she's been on Facebook and would have seen the message (I saw in my feed some of her status updates) and the haunted house opens tomorrow, and runs through Saturday. I'm pretty sure I got my answer.
    That's too bad man. Maybe next year, eh?

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20
    Banned

That's too bad man. Maybe next year, eh?
    Most of the people I still know from college have either graduated or are seniors this year...so yeah.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Colossus in the Playground

Ack nm, didnt read the whole thing. Sorry about that.
    Last edited by Traab; 2012-10-24 at 10:14 PM.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Most of the people I still know from college have either graduated or are seniors this year...so yeah.
    Such is life, my friend. There'll be other celebrations.

Just remember this and it'll cheer you up. In 1 weeks time, 80-ish% of the attractive women you know will be dressed in the sluttiest outfit they'll wear all year. Yay!

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Banned

Just remember this and it'll cheer you up. In 1 weeks time, 80-ish% of the attractive women you know will be dressed in the sluttiest outfit they'll wear all year. Yay!
    Several things you don't know about me that could be true:

a) I could be gay.

b) I could be blind.

c) I could be some kind of asexual alien like a Namekian.

d) I could be a gay, blind Namekian.

24. - Top - End - #24

A great article written with great hard work...i must say....Thanks for posting this article.canon camera prices in Pakistan
    I am definitely tired of struggling to find relevant and intelligent commentary on this subject.sony camera prices in Pakistan
    Everyone nowadays seem to go to extremes to either drive home their viewpoint or suggest that everybody else in the globe is wrong. Thanks for your concise and relevant insight a great work of your which shows...I like your site its quite informative and i would like to come here again as i get some time from my studies. i would like to invite my other friends to this site, as you have done a great job.i must say...keep it up guys..Thanks for the information.I apriciate each and every point of your article.Really great information .Keep sharing …..Well done

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

a) I could be gay.

b) I could be blind.

e) You could be a cucumber.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

d) This could be madness
    e) This could be SPARTA
    f) It could have been a joke
    Si non confectus, non reficiat.

The beautiful girl is courtesy of Serpentine
    My S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripjat Let's Play! Please give it a read, more than one constant reader would be nice!

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Considering Dr. Epic has not given a definitive answer (much like the girl who invited him), we just have to assume he is actually, much like his fellow colleague Dr. Horrible, FeliciaDaysexual.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

That is indeed a great cheer up comment. Here have a marshmellow:(_()

a) I could be gay.

b) I could be blind.

those are indeed possibilities. However, without advertising as such in a recognisable way (not over dramatic, not very subtle either, just recognizable) I don't think it's that bad a comment to be honest. On the other hand, if you find it offensive you could of course always say so and ask the poster if he would direct such comments to others... Just my 2 cp
    Warlock Poetry?
    Or ways to use me in game?
    Better grab a drink...

Currently ruining Strahd's day - Avatar by the Outstanding Smuchsmuch

First Ordained Jr. Tormlet by LoyalPaladin

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

a) I could be gay.

b) I could be blind.

I meant no offense, and sincerely apologize if I gave any, but that's a cheering thought to me.

In the case of being homosexual, there's always all the cute guys in tight outfits too ya know.

In the case of asexuality, there is candy. Mountains of awesome candy. (though "fun size" is bull crap. What's fun about a candy bar 1/10th the normal size?)

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

If you'd format your message as per my advice, none of this would have happened. Remember this, for future reference.