New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: Cavern of Arugal (IC)

Ipsen follows Rufus into the mainroom (to L12) and draws his bow.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

You all crowd around the door and open it, which reveals a circular room with a pathway on the other side. There's a table the same shape as the room in the center, with 4 chairs around it. There's some dried red liquid on the table, which plenty of you can recognize as dried blood. There's no other blood around the room, though, and the pathway further ahead splits off into a T intersection.

[Map Updated]
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

Rufus peers at the room.
    "Hmm... Ipsen, what do you think? This looks suspicious."

4. - Top - End - #64
    Troll in the Playground

Var keeps his crossbow ready but leaves the job of exploring the room to the experts.
    I didn't choose the life of a murderhobo, it chose me.
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #65
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Ipsen takes a good look around before he enters the room, to see if he can spot something out of the ordinary on the walls, ceiling or floor. Then he slowly moves in to the table, constantly looking for traps. He inspects the table, the chairs and the blood before he searches the rest of the room for traps.

As soon as he's sure that there are no traps that would be triggered by someone just walking on the floor or touching the table or chairs, he gives the rest of the group a signal to come in and returns to his search, always keeping an eye on the northern passage.

Spoiler
    Show
    If he can spot something from outside, before he enters: (1d20+2)[15] for spot.
    For the trapfinding, he first takes ten for every 5x5 ft. area in the room and then makes a check for search, to be sure (so, he'll automatically finds everything with DC 18 or lower). He starts at M18 and surrounds the table counter-clockwise. Checks:
    M18 (1d20+8)[28]
    Table/Chairs: (1d20+8)[20]
    N18 (1d20+8)[22]
    N17 (1d20+8)[12]
    N16 (1d20+8)[19]
    M16 (1d20+8)[11]
    L16 (1d20+8)[26]
    L17 (1d20+8)[19]
    L18 (1d20+8)[21]
    Listen/Spot to see if he can hear/see something coming from there: (1d20+2)[7] / (1d20+2)[21]

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

As you search the floor, you don't find anything of particular interest besides that this place could be used as a place to eat relatively comfortably, what with chairs and all. For 4 people. Unless you bring your own chairs.

From the northern passage, you don't hear anything, save for the dripping of some liquid from the left passageway.
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

Rufus steps into the room, walking slowly and carefully as he moves to the left of the table and up to the intersection. He pauses and listens, and then steps out into the T and looks around, assuming he can see.

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20)[6]Listen
    If nothing seems "off" he moves up to M13 - if there's enough illumination. Any torches up here?

8. - Top - End - #68
    Troll in the Playground

Echevaria Strata

Var remembers to chalk the wall to indicate that we've explored this room. "ROOM 2" on the wall at L19.
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

@Rufus: Someone has a torch in your party, so it's illuminating a bit of the area down the passage ways. You can't see very much past the left hallway, but the right one comes up to a dead end 10 feet past.
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

Rufus pauses as he has a thought, and turns towards the rest of the group. "I know Ipsen checked the bloody table room for traps, but can anyone tell if the table or chairs are magical somehow? It's very strange...."

11. - Top - End - #71
    Troll in the Playground

"Not I," Var replies, "It is curious. It looks as though people or something more ghoulish sat at the table to devour a particularly bloody meal or perhaps someone in a chair had their head beaten into the table. Either way I would stay clear of it. Blood carries all kinds of diseases you know."
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

Rufus goes back to the table and walks partway around it, so that he's not immediately next to any of the party members (N17). Pulling out one of his shortspears, he uses the butt of the spear to poke the table and a couple of chairs, shifting them if he can.
    Last edited by J-H; 2012-11-11 at 03:49 PM.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Ipsen moves near the exit of the room, in case Rufus triggers something, keeping an eye on the table and the chairs.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

The table and chairs get shifted, but nothing springs out to attack you, nor does anything like a trap (or not like a trap) triggers.
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

"Hmph. Just in case there was something under the table we didn't see." Rufus walks back to the T-intersection. "Nobody builds a hallway to nowhere. Ipsen, can you see if there's a hidden doorway or trap door or something? This doesn't make sense."

16. - Top - End - #76
    Troll in the Playground

Var stays clear while the experts work but keeps an eye on where we've come from in case something tries to cut us off.
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #77
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Ipsen nods and follows Rufus to the intersection, looking around the corner to the left to see if he can spot anything. Cautiously he walks to the dead end, checking walls, floor and ceiling (if he can) while he goes. Here and there he looks back, to see if something happens in the left passage.

Spoiler
    Show
    Same procedure as in the room. Takes ten for 18 and then rolls once for every 5x5x5 segment.
    N13: (1d20+8)[22]
    O13: (1d20+8)[23]
    Listen: (1d20+2)[16]
    Spot: (1d20+2)[3]

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

(Can't update map until I get home, but I do remember what was here.)

After a few seconds of searching, Ipsen finds a switch which, after flicking, allows the stone wall to be lifted up and into a hidden area. In the room, there is a pile of bones right next to the entrance with a few pieces around the rest of the room. Across the room, there's a stone wall which looks like it could be moved. There is a narrow opening between the wall and the floor. The same thing happens at each edge, the wall and the false-wall don't meet each other perfectly.

If I'm not mistaken, this is a 10 by 15 room before meeting the block. 10 feet in, 15 feet wide. With the doorway in the center of the 15 feet.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #79
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

"A hidden room. Seems like there could be another exit behind one of the walls." Ipsen begins to search the entrance of the room for traps. "There's also a bunch of bones here, so it might be trapped. Keep an eye on the other passageway."

Spoiler
    Show
    Can Ipsen recognize something about the bones? Did they belong to a humanoid creature? How big? Are the bones damaged? etc.
    Then the searching game. Taking ten and making one roll for each square as usual. When he's done, he'll give the party a sign that it's safe and take a closer look at the stone wall that might be moveable.
    P13: (1d20+8)[20]
    P12: (1d20+8)[13]
    P14: (1d20+8)[12]
    Q13: (1d20+8)[26]
    Q12: (1d20+8)[24]
    Q14: (1d20+8)[25]
    R12: (1d20+8)[20]
    R13: (1d20+8)[17]
    R14: (1d20+8)[11]
    R15: (1d20+8)[21]
    Q15: (1d20+8)[13]
    P15: (1d20+8)[15]

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

You can recognize the skull of a wolf, so you might assume that the bones are of a wolf.

When you're looking at the floor of the moveable wall and looking through the gap between the floor and the wall, you notice that the mechanism under the wall can lock... and you see a pressure plate that looks to be able to be triggered if the wall locks.

You also make out two handholds in the stone, which were cleverly camouflaged. Apparently, this wall can be moved with brute strength.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #81
    Troll in the Playground

"I'm not very strong but it looks as if it can just be lifted up. Maybe a chair leg might be useful as a lever once it's lifted up enough." Var stand in the corner (P12) with his crossbow at the ready.
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #82
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

After a bit of trying around at the moveable part of the wall, Ipsen gives up and returns to the group. "There are no traps, but we've got a secret door with some sort of mechanism beneath it that I can't reach. It's impossible to say what it will do or if opening the door will trigger it. But I'm sure we can get the door open if we want to." He sneaks towards the eastern passageway to see if he can make something out without moving too far from the group in case they decide to open the secret door.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move to K13.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

"Yes, but do we want to?" Rufus looks at the hidden room. "It was a one-way trip for the owner of those bones, and there are passages at our back. I can leave some caltrops in front of the doorway so that we'll have warning if anything tries to sneak up on us."

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

You can't see much farther in because of the walls, but the tunnel turns south before turning back east. After 10 feet of that, you can't see it from your position.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #85
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

"I'll explore the other way" Ipsen says to whoever is next to him at the moment. "Open the door if you want, but stay near this room." Then he disappears into the darkness.

Spoiler
    Show
    He listens carefully while he sneaks down the passageway, using his little steel mirror to peak around corners. Of course, he looks for traps, alarm mechanisms and other unusual things the whole time.
    Listen: (1d20+2)[15]
    Move silently: (1d20+6)[18]
    Hide: (1d20+18)[37]
    Search (again, taking ten before every check):
    (1d20+8)[17]
    (1d20+8)[27]
    (1d20+8)[28]
    (1d20+8)[16]
    (1d20+8)[11]
    (1d20+8)[27]
    (1d20+8)[14]
    (1d20+8)[18]
    (1d20+8)[27]
    (Don't know how long the way will be. If he needs to make more search checks, just roll them for him and let me know if he finds something.)

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

IPSEN
    Spoiler
    Show
    You sneak the other way and eventually come up to an open door. Past the door, you see a square table near a corner of a room and two dead spiders, both rotting, at the opposite corner. There are two exits out of this room.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #87
    Troll in the Playground

Var will follow Ipsen to keep an eye out in case he is attacked while searching everywhere. He will remain at the corner of the corridor behind him or at the doorway of the room so that he is always in sight. So at the moment Echevaria has moved to K11 and will move to I11 when Ipsen enters the room to search.

He'll take 20 to move silently and hide each time (+3 on each). There is plenty of time given that Ipsen is searching.

Spoiler
    Show
    I think that the others should do the same and we should probably swap around who is "on support" at any given time.
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

You can't take 20 on move silent or hide. Seeing as taking 20 basically has you go from 1 to 20 in 20 actions, and a 1 would make you heard (most likely).

Also, you don't have darkvision, so you wouldn't be able to see anything.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

Rufus decides to hold off on the caltrops for now, and waits for Ipsen to bring some news back.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

DM:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ipsen moves to the nearest door, checks it for traps and listens. If it has a keyhole, he looks through it - if he can see through the space under it, he does that.
    If he doesn't find, hear or see anything, he'll moves to the second floor and repeats the procedure. He avoids the dead spiders and the table as well as anything else that's out of the ordinary - also he hugs the walls.

(If he finds a trap, he'll disable it *after* listening. If he hears something, it depends: could it be that something has noticed him and might come through the door any moment? He'll run into the passage. Does it not sound like that? He'll check the next door while being extra sneaky [making move silently checks])
    Last edited by Pathrogas; 2012-11-25 at 05:06 PM.