New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 38 of 50 FirstFirst ... 13282930313233343536373839404142434445464748 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,140 of 1481
  1. - Top - End - #1111
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: LGBTAitP #28: Come Taste the Rainbow!

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Don't think paradox is the term, but I don't quite know what words I'd use to describe it. Mostly seem to run into it as a paranoid fear by the non-bi, non-pan partner of a bisexual or pansexual individual or a subject of gossip by busybodies that there must be some kind of tension because a bisexual's sexual needs aren't being met if they're only having sex with one sex.

...Yeah, I could probably have phrased that better and in a non-cumbersome fashion, but hopefully that was clear enough. :/

Thankfully I've run into it more often in fiction than in reality, but I've run into it there too...
    But.... Then.... Wha..... I'm just utterly confused at the notion that anyone can have such blatant circular logic without noticing and rectifying it themselves. And you say you've ran into this in real life before? Urgh....
    “I’m a Terrorist not an idiot.” - Me
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

2. - Top - End - #1112
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    As in, plural for really likes new things? A bunch o newophiliacs? Or some form of saying theyre neophobic?
    As in, "curiosity killed the cat" should be "curiosity is humans' thing, go away cat" Except not because cats are neat.

You drive up the average, balanced out by most scientists thinking instead of subvocalizing. ;D
    Tangential complaining.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well maybe if anything worked and I had lab profs who knew what was happening...
    "Excuse me, professor, I just rinsed with water, and everything dissolved."
    "Well why would you do that?"
    "Um, the lab book says to rinse with cool water at this point."
    "Well why would you follow the instructions?"
    "...I...what."

It later turned out the precipitate that dissolved in water was just salt from a side-reaction between the sodium ions from something earlier and the HCl we added, and the actual thing we were looking for just didn't form for some reason nobody could figure out. How did we find out it was just salt? My poor friend isolated it before the rinse-with-water step and tried to find the melting point, sat there for like four hours because the thing doesn't go up to 800°C. Luckily the lecture prof explained it to us the next class.
    And this guy, a well-behaved kid who respects authority and doesn't swear much, cussed out the lab professor to me later that evening.

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    But.... Then.... Wha..... I'm just utterly confused at the notion that anyone can have such blatant circular logic without noticing and rectifying it themselves. And you say you've ran into this in real life before? Urgh....
    It's actually a pretty common misconception that bisexuals tend to cheat because obviously "attracted to both sexes" means "has to have sex with members of both sexes". (Sarcasm: You know, the same way "heterosexual" means "has to have sex with multiple members of opposite sex".)
    Last edited by noparlpf; 2012-11-19 at 10:40 PM.
    Jude P.

3. - Top - End - #1113
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I would remark on the manliness of ponies, but that quickly becomes a morass. XD
    Gender-neutral as I recall, or getting there, which is a good thing, I'd wager.

I'm almost positive Kenderwizard would think so.
    Spoiler
    Show

Although, I dunno. I find trans and Cis to be kind of superfluous distinctions, personally. Cisman and transman are both a man. I can't get my head around being proudly trans, because theoretically trans is being uncomfortable and wanting to change. Being comfortable beig uncomfortable is a disconnect. So being proud of being transsexual seems... Against transsexuality? I dunno. It's not a coherent thought really.
    Well, if the alternative is shame, self-loathing, or other emotionally negative and unhealthy things, pride is the clear choice.

Though my understanding was more about owning it rather than repressing or denying one's self or living in resentment or worse.

Mostly second hand from bisexual acquaintances or friends, but, yeah, once or twice run into it personal-like.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think it's a tie-in with the whole depraved bisexual stereotype. :/

Come to think of it a bit more, I do seem to recall possibly having had a discussion with one bisexual friend who was getting a bit sexually frustrated, though in retrospect I can't recall whether it was due to their partner's sex or just their partner's hangups. Definitely have run into a group of loosely-connected poly individuals who more or less freely admitted that their nigh-constantly shifting web of relationships and who was sleeping with whom was in part due to getting bored with a single sex of sexual partners initially that had started that group.

No idea how indicative of anything that group was, as they did seem keen on expanding, nearly completely devouring and/or destroying one of the social groups I had attached myself to at the time.

I think I almost got preemptively warned away from trying to exploit such a thing by one of my friends back during a muddled period actually. Thankfully segued into a discussion of how many friends she'd lost due to them being biphobic or trying to get into a threesome with her girlfriend and herself rather than continuing in more personally awkward waters.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2012-11-19 at 10:54 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

4. - Top - End - #1114
    Troll in the Playground

Although, I dunno. I find trans and Cis to be kind of superfluous distinctions, personally. Cisman and transman are both a man. I can't get my head around being proudly trans, because theoretically trans is being uncomfortable and wanting to change. Being comfortable beig uncomfortable is a disconnect. So being proud of being transsexual seems... Against transsexuality? I dunno. It's not a coherent thought really.
    Well, I think it works from a "these are the cards I was dealt and I'm going to make the best of it?". And being trans* doesn't mean being uncomfortable, or at least not to me. For me being trans* just means, I'm a woman with a different history and sure there's suffering on the way, but it's led to introspection which has also lend me strength? Iunno.

Hmm. Okay, I'll try and get an IM program actually working this week.
    Skype!
    I make avatars. Sometimes.
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #1115
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    It's actually a pretty common misconception that bisexuals tend to cheat because obviously "attracted to both sexes" means "has to have sex with members of both sexes". (Sarcasm: You know, the same way "heterosexual" means "has to have sex with multiple members of opposite sex".)
    But that doesn't mean you actually do the dirty with both sides. It's just....you...... Ugh, head hurt, stop. Can't continue down this line of thinking without forcing a migraine.
    “I’m a Terrorist not an idiot.” - Me
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

6. - Top - End - #1116

But that doesn't mean you actually do the dirty with both sides. It's just....you...... Ugh, head hurt, stop. Can't continue down this line of thinking without forcing a migraine.
    But obviously...
    (Yeah I'm with you. People are weird and nonsensical.)
    Jude P.

7. - Top - End - #1117
    Troll in the Playground

Next in the line of amusing gender stereotyping: nail polish.
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #1118

Quote Originally Posted by Astrella View Post
    Nail polish is for men now because chicks dig nail polish therefore sex.
    In a way it's good that they're challenging gender stereotypes, but the way they're doing it is bad.

(Also personally I just don't understand stuff like makeup and nail polish.)
    Jude P.

9. - Top - End - #1119
    Troll in the Playground

The thing is they're not challenging gender stereotypes, they're reinforcing them by claiming that men can only wear nailpolish if it's supermanly.
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #1120

The thing is they're not challenging gender stereotypes, they're reinforcing them by claiming that men can only wear nailpolish if it's supermanly.
    Well, they're challenging the idea that nail polish is only for girls.
    They're challenging it by trying to make it as absurdly hypermasculine as everything they pictured it with in their ads there.
    Jude P.

11. - Top - End - #1121
    Bugbear in the Playground

Well The Happening didn't maintain the crown of "Funniest Thing I've Seen In Months" for very long. I almost want to give them a "Good Try" sticker and a pat on the back.

12. - Top - End - #1122
    Troll in the Playground

Well, they're challenging the idea that nail polish is only for girls.
    They're challenging it by trying to make it as absurdly hypermasculine as everything they pictured it with in their ads there.
    Well yes, but what they're saying is "you can only enjoy nail polish as a guy if it is hypermasculine". And what if a guy wants to wear shiny colours? This is basically just the reverse of "pink science sets".
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #1123
    Colossus in the Playground

One of the people on My Transsexual Summer was proud to be trans. She said she loved it, liked the "edge" it gave her (her words, not mine). I believe she hadn't had the surgery, and never wanted to, because she liked herself the way she was. She was gorgeous and open and gregarious, and I thought she was pretty cool... But she was also the exception.
    edit: the exception in the pride, liking it, edginess and to an extent the openness and gregariousness, not in gorgeousness and coolitude and not wanting surgery. Thought I'd better clarify that...
    Last edited by Serpentine; 2012-11-20 at 12:20 AM.

14. - Top - End - #1124

Well yes, but what they're saying is "you can only enjoy nail polish as a guy if it is hypermasculine". And what if a guy wants to wear shiny colours? This is basically just the reverse of "pink science sets".
    Well guys can't do anything not hypermasculine, obviously. I get what you're saying and I think I'm just not conveying what I'm trying to say clearly.
    Anyway, I'm kind of curious what their solvent is if not acetone. Probably something stronger, or a complete dud, are my guesses.
    Jude P.

15. - Top - End - #1125
    Troll in the Playground

Damn, this thread moves fast. I close my eyes for a mere 8 hours and at least 2 pages have added...

Thanks. That's reassuring to know not everyone thinks I lose my soul for wearing a suit.
    Look up "Nothing Suits me like a Suit" on youtube
    Quote Originally Posted by Keveak View Post
    I like suits, they look neat on everything from historic USA presidents, MIB agents, Slenderman and incognito Melusians. You would probably look great too! :3
    you forgot me
    Quote Originally Posted by Lentrax View Post
    I would rather some sort of parade, follwed by dinner and dancing with Neil Patrick Harris...

But I will accept not getting clocked in the face.
    How is that NPH is so damn awesome? It might just be his Barney persona on HIMYM, but still, it's like he 'suffers' from the Stephen Fry effect
    Quote Originally Posted by Dust Bunny View Post
    Is there room for a straight-but-not-narrow dust bunny on this thread?

Welcome, as a fellow straight but not narrow person myself let me show you around: left are cookies, right are glomps to be enjoyed and it is customary to join or iniate abduction of Lixie from time to time
    Nail polish is for men now because chicks dig nail polish therefore sex.
    I... Don't really follow you... *rebooting brain* Nope, still don't follow...
    Warlock Poetry?
    Or ways to use me in game?
    Better grab a drink...

Currently ruining Strahd's day - Avatar by the Outstanding Smuchsmuch

First Ordained Jr. Tormlet by LoyalPaladin

16. - Top - End - #1126
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Socratov View Post
    How is that NPH is so damn awesome? It might just be his Barney persona on HIMYM, but still, it's like he 'suffers' from the Stephen Fry effect
    It's the suit.

Now, Suit up!

Co-Founder of LUTAS.
    For all you lesser superheroes out there.

Custom STO avatar by Durkoala.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Spoiler: Online stuffs
    Show
    Lentrax has a Deviantart now, check it out!

Streaming Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11CST on Twitch.

Follow me on Twitter!

17. - Top - End - #1127
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lentrax View Post
    It's the suit.

Now, Suit up!
    maybe some time... Haven't dragged them with me half across the country...
    Warlock Poetry?
    Better grab a drink...

18. - Top - End - #1128
    Banned

Don't think paradox is the term, but I don't quite know what words I'd use to describe it. *Mostly seem to run into it as a paranoid fear by the non-bi, non-pan partner of a bisexual or pansexual individual or a subject of gossip by busybodies that there must be some kind of tension because a bisexual's sexual needs aren't being met if they're only having sex with one sex.

...Yeah, I could probably have phrased that better and in a non-cumbersome fashion, but hopefully that was clear enough. :/

Thankfully I've run into it more often in fiction than in reality, but I've run into it there too...
    I was aware of the, uh, stereotype I suppose, but I didn't know it was something that people actually, like, did. I mean... Well, actually no. I should have. I've met people who called themselves bisexual solely to get social backing for having multiple partners.

Goodness. The like, nine degrees of thought necessary to make that make sense is almost painful.

Quote Originally Posted by Kindablue View Post
    The one where you assume words always retain their literal etymological meanings. Twosex/onemarriage. (It was a dumb joke.)
    Ah, I see.i just wanted to make sure that was the joke you were making.

Wow. That's actually a good idea, an I'm actually really stoked about these things existing. the applicator looks really useful, and I've been trying to find something which specifically reinforces the nail for years.

But seriously; alpha male? I can't even. No one notices the irony of being told to obey so that you can look like your own person who doesn't obey what they're told? Argh.

Well, hm. Is wanting to be masculine necesarily a bad thing though? I don't know. I'm of two or more minds. I can see how it's bad but I can also see how it's not that bad at all. Which I guess means my opinion doesn't have any value at present, huh? Heh.

19. - Top - End - #1129
    Titan in the Playground

Last edited by Asta Kask; 2012-11-20 at 05:58 AM.

Oooh, and that's a bad miss.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

20. - Top - End - #1130
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: LGBTAitP #28: Come Taste the Rainbow!

Also it's transgender day of remembrance tomorrow, does anyone have any special plans?
    I am hoping to finish a comic in honour of the day, which is making me super-wnervous. I really need to do more for such things, but I always get afraid I will accidentally hurt someone. ._.

I have not myself met anyone who mentioned that particular misconception, but I have met a lot of people who act as if their heterosexuality means they must get as much [insert appropriate genital here] as possible, and sometimes with as many people as possible. Maybe the misconception is based on that? If someone thinks everybody is like that, then they may assume that a bi person would need each kind of sex and thus have to have multiple partners.

Then again, I am an asexual silly Kobold trying to analyse sexuality based on my teenage peers... Nevermind me. ^_^'

That was so strange that I ended up trying to figure out how someone can be so trapped in the idea of rigid gender roles (Which is sad, even if the role fits the person in question. ;_;). Somehow, that road let to a pink-feathered velociraptor.

Can I label it that? Pink Velociraptor-weird? :3

you forgot me
    Sorry! I have not seen you in a suit, dress or toga, so I could not include you. >_<

I actually only know of Harris from occasionally seeing someone viewing How I Met Your Mother and from the Prop 8 musical. The musical is great, but other than that, the only claim I have seen of Harris' awesomeness is being on a show with Alyson Hannigan. X3

Do know that Harris is LGBTA, though. Which is neat, not many actors are openly so.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

21. - Top - End - #1131
    Troll in the Playground

-snip-

Sorry! I have not seen you in a suit, dress or toga, so I could not include you. >_<
    I have posted pictures of me in a dress suit... where are they... Ah, here they are

I actually only know of Harris from occasionally seeing someone viewing How I Met Your Mother and from the Prop 8 musical. The musical is great, but other than that, the only claim I have seen of Harris' awesomeness is being on a show with Alyson Hannigan. X3

Do know that Harris is LGBTA, though. Which is neat, not many actors are openly so.
    He is, as they put it in the first season of Project Runway (guilty pleasure of mine while younger), gay like father christmas. (except when he plays the role of Barney Stinson, then is obviously Lorenzo von Matterhorn also known as Casanova incarnate)
    Warlock Poetry?
    Better grab a drink...

22. - Top - End - #1132
    Barbarian in the Playground

Hm. I think obsession is about motive, and compulsive is about action. You can obsess over something without really acting, and toucan do something compulsively without obsessing, I believe. But the similarity in end product is there.*
    Then why is it only called OTD, and not OCTD?

Awesome!
    It was

Much less awesome. But it'll reincarnate eventually, so we're good.
    That cheered me up a bit, too bad it died in my arms, though.
    They said it wasn't my fault, but I think it was...
    Still not sure

Nah, they wouldn't have gotten that far.

"Isn't he homosexual, too?"
    "Well, y—"
    "I SAID HE IS HOMOSEXUAL DAMMIT DON'T ARGUE"
    I actually got the laughs from that xD

And an idea for a Werewolf character xD

@Socratov:
    Awesome pic!
    You might want to go cut your hair, though

23. - Top - End - #1133

How is that NPH is so damn awesome?
    The emperor has no clothes.

24. - Top - End - #1134
    Ogre in the Playground

He is, as they put it in the first season of Project Runway (guilty pleasure of mine while younger), gay like father christmas. (except when he plays the role of Barney Stinson, then is obviously Lorenzo von Matterhorn also known as Casanova incarnate)
    I've never seen him playing anything but the over the top super hetero guy. He's sort of a modern day Al Jolson in that respect.
    Last edited by Kindablue; 2012-11-20 at 09:32 AM.
    ... I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams.

25. - Top - End - #1135
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Went to a gods-themed birthday party in half-and-half gender**** style. ( so I was Hermaphroditus. Or Slaneesh. Or Desire.) Won the award for best costume unanimously. Various people told me that they hadn't seen anything as freaky/weird/odd for quite some time. Wonder whether I should interpret that positively or negatively.

Also wondering whether I should also shave the other half of my face or continue with the Movember with just half a face.
    Wish is a 0-level spell, which\'s material component is a 100-dollar note given to your DM under the table.

26. - Top - End - #1136

I have not myself met anyone who mentioned that particular misconception, but I have met a lot of people who act as if their heterosexuality means they must get as much [insert appropriate genital here] as possible, and sometimes with as many people as possible. Maybe the misconception is based on that? If someone thinks everybody is like that, then they may assume that a bi person would need each kind of sex and thus have to have multiple partners.

Then again, I am an asexual silly Kobold trying to analyse sexuality based on my teenage peers... Nevermind me. ^_^'
    I don't think that's it (or at least all of it), as I've seen it from people who aren't just horny teenagers.

Quote Originally Posted by Taliesin View Post
    Also wondering whether I should also shave the other half of my face or continue with the Movember with just half a face.
    Keep a half beard and keep the other side clean-shaven. Why? Why not?
    (I didn't bother with the No-Shave November thing this year. Especially because the moustache is my least favourite part.)
    Jude P.

27. - Top - End - #1137
    Ogre in the Playground

And that's why it's a miracle we've survived as a species. Personally, my mum bet money I wouldn't survive to eighteen.
    Clearly it's working well for us! We have the right mix of curiosity and self-preservation.

Quote Originally Posted by Dust Bunny View Post
    Is there room for a straight-but-not-narrow dust bunny on this thread?

Abso****inglutely! Welcome aboard!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    Why do wigs have to be so expensive? Thrift stores can provide most other necessitates besides consumables, but the only wigs I ever see are left overs from Halloween or what look like the hides of old rats. And I need a wig, trust me.
    Yeah, wigs are tricky. My best advice is to trawl the internet, you might be able to get a decent one on ebay if you're lucky and keep your eyes open. Or find a deal or a discount, or someone who doesn't need theirs anymore.

And now I have the flashbacks to Dexter's Lab and Dee Dee.
    I really liked later Dee Dee. Dexter was smart, but later Dee Dee was wise.

I kind of love this idea, despite all its gendernormative crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Taliesin View Post
    Went to a gods-themed birthday party in half-and-half gender**** style. ( so I was Hermaphroditus. Or Slaneesh. Or Desire.) Won the award for best costume unanimously. Various people told me that they hadn't seen anything as freaky/weird/odd for quite some time. Wonder whether I should interpret that positively or negatively.

TOTALLY KEEP THE HALF!!

Cheerfairy, Kenderwoman and Geologist by Succubus, Feminist Geomancer by Astrella, Kender Wizard by me

28. - Top - End - #1138
    Titan in the Playground

Getting a little disillusioned with the LGBTsoc. There are some lovely people, but it's about 90% cis gay guys. There are a few girls, and as for representatives of the trans* umbrella, as far as I can tell there's me and one FtM.
    Quotebox
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalirren View Post
    The only person in the past two pages who has known what (s)he has been talking about is Heliomance.
    Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    I just don't want to have long romantic conversations or any sort of drama with my computer, okay? It knows what kind of porn I watch. I don't want to mess that up by allowing it to judge any of my choices in romance.

Wish building characters for D&D 3.5 was simpler? Try HeroForge Anew! An Excel-based, highly automated character builder. v7.4 now out!

29. - Top - End - #1139

Quote Originally Posted by Heliomance View Post
    Getting a little disillusioned with the LGBTsoc. There are some lovely people, but it's about 90% cis gay guys. There are a few girls, and as for representatives of the trans* umbrella, as far as I can tell there's me and one FtM.
    Well, not everyone is comfortable going to such a function. Or, it might just be that that's the LGBT demographic in your area. Maybe you could go recruiting !

~Phoenix~
    "It is important to draw wisdom from many different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." --Iroh
    LGBTAitP! If you want to talk, learn, or have some fun, stop by!
    Avatar by the lovely Lycunadari!

30. - Top - End - #1140
    Titan in the Playground

It's not just that gay guys make a lot more noise?

Oooh, and that's a bad miss.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo