New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Swordsage/dervish

I was looking at the class, and I was debating on if it would be worth combining the two classes. If I did do this would probably use, Tangat, Talenta, basically two handed scimitar.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Swordsage/dervish

Quote Originally Posted by Noodler View Post
    I was looking at the class, and I was debating on if it would be worth combining the two classes. If I did do this would probably use, Tangat, Talenta, basically two handed scimitar.
    What exactly do you want the Dervish part to do that the Swordsage can't do even better?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

I apologize if I'm wrong, but isn't Dervish all about two weapon fighting? If that's the case, why are you THFing?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

Well, dervish has full Bab, vs med Bab of Swordsage, then there is the increased move speed, full attacks without other dips, extra attacks from dance/thousand cuts, free spring attack feat, cleave and great cleave. Then there is also fluff.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RFLS View Post
    I apologize if I'm wrong, but isn't Dervish all about two weapon fighting? If that's the case, why are you THFing?
    All it says is a slashing weapon, however yes they do get:
    Slashing Blades: A dervish treats the scimitar as a light
    weapon (rather than a one-handed weapon) for all purposes,
    including fighting with two weapons.

However I wouldn't say its required to thf, as personally I find two weapons can be lackluster.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by RFLS View Post
    Not strictly. It is true that TWF can work quite well with the dervish, but the only actual ability that backs this up is the one that allows a dervish to treat a scimitar as a light weapon, which works just as well for allowing them to use Weapon Finesse with it as it does for TWF with them.
    Also of note, however: TWF with a swordsage is almost as awesome as TWF with a Rogue, more so when Inferno Blade, Raging Mongoose and Time Stands still can come online.
    "If your heart is fearful throw away fear; if there is terror in it throw away terror. Take your axe in your hand and attack. He who leaves the fight unfinished is not at peace." -The Epic of Gilgamesh

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

It's not worth it. You have Diamond Mind and Tiger Claw as schools, which make the Dervish obsolete, IIRC.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Colossus in the Playground

The biggest problem with the Dervish are the entry requirements. If you can swing those, it can be alright. It doesn't advance maneuvers, granted, but it does gain numerical advantages for what that's worth, and full attack + movement earlier and less conditionally than straight Swordsage does (granted, with Strikes you don't really need it as much).

But yeah, Dervish has higher To Hit, AC, Move Speed and perhaps damage too, if using appropriate Boosts, than a straight Swordsage for a while but you need to invest 4 feats 3 of which are relatively useless, and it's a hefty level investment (especially since you want ~7 levels in Dervish just to gain sufficient number of uses of Dervish Dance to last you an average adventuring day). Straight Swordsage is stronger but SS/Dervish isn't terrible though it does give more to a TWF build than a THF build (especially since THF build probably wants to be using charges to a degree anyways and those are mutually exclusive with Dervish Dance).
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.