New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default I desperately need a new game!

Hey guys and gals,
    I am in a terrible gaming slump right now and can't think of a good game to play. The problem is that steam has pretty much any game and I don't know which ones are good. I want a nice rpg, prefferably third person where I control and upgrade a single character (not a party). Graphics do not matter, I will accept anything from 2014 and earlier. Games I have already played and liked:
    TES I-V
    Witcher 1&2
    Star Wars The Old Republic and KOTOR
    Final Fantasy 1-13 (except 5, i hated 5)
    Diablo 2 and 3
    Dragon Fantasy book 1, haven't played book 2 yet
    Dragon Age I and II
    Mass Effect
    Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2

Games I don't like:
    Two Worlds
    Risen
    Dark Souls
    Mount and Blade
    Witcher 1&2 (its a love-hate thing with those games)

Knowing these things, are there any games you can recommend me? I have played many more than are on this list, I just can't remember them all off the top of my head. Thank you all very much in advance.

Playing Pokemon Y:
    Safari: Charmeleon, Magmar, and Braixen
    DS Friend Code: 3668-7804-7430

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: I desperately need a new game!

Jade Empire or one of the Geneforge games.

If you're hesitant about Geneforge, the author offers demos on his site.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Torchlight is a fun game, in the tradition of Diablo. Go deeper and deeper in a random dungeon and kill everything for random loot.

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Somebody should have that sigged.
    Member of Peelee's Church of Sudden Skylight

4. - Top - End - #4

3rd person RPG, primarily focused on one character plus the fact that you've got the Elder Scrolls listed in your "like" column, I'd say the obvious choice is Fallout 3 and New Vegas.

If you want something more Diablo-esque, there are Torchlight and Torchlight 2 and Path of Exile, and Grim Dawn if you don't mind early access/beta games.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tylorious View Post
    Hey guys and gals,
    I am in a terrible gaming slump right now and can't think of a good game to play. The problem is that steam has pretty much any game and I don't know which ones are good. I want a nice rpg, prefferably third person where I control and upgrade a single character (not a party). Graphics do not matter, I will accept anything from 2014 and earlier. Games I have already played and liked:
    TES I-V
    Witcher 1&2
    Star Wars The Old Republic and KOTOR
    Final Fantasy 1-13 (except 5, i hated 5)
    Diablo 2 and 3
    Dragon Fantasy book 1, haven't played book 2 yet
    Dragon Age I and II
    Mass Effect
    Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2

Games I don't like:
    Two Worlds
    Risen
    Dark Souls
    Mount and Blade
    Witcher 1&2 (its a love-hate thing with those games)

Knowing these things, are there any games you can recommend me? I have played many more than are on this list, I just can't remember them all off the top of my head. Thank you all very much in advance.
    Finish the Mass Effect games if you haven't. Shame you don't like Dark Souls.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Going to second Torchlight, Torchlight II and Path of Exile. All three are great action-rpgs, and Torchlight II has some heavy duty modding chops so if you liked modding Skyrim there's some extra longevity to be had there as well.

TitanQuest is also a lot of fun in the Diablo-like vein; and has the added bonus of being in an unusual setting for an ARPG.
    Last edited by mistformsquirrl; 2014-01-24 at 08:51 AM.
    Computer is back! Yay!

Feel free to check out my Deviantart page - it's not great, but I'm trying to change that.

Current avatar by me <>_<> Needs work.

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

- By FlyingChicken <^,^> - By Akrim.elf <^.^>

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

The Deus Ex series? The original looks very dated, but since you already said that didn't matter then the story and gameplay are still excellent.

The new Fallout series? There's a couple of threads about them on this forum already; I particularly enjoyed New Vegas, but both are great games.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Tebryn View Post
    Finish the Mass Effect games if you haven't. Shame you don't like Dark Souls.
    I beat ME 1 and 2, havent really scratched the surface of 3, but I plan on it. It's just such a huge endeavor that I need to build up my will power ha.

Dark Souls is not the kind of game I can have fun with, and having fun is the most important part for me :)
    Whenever I want a challenge though, i may pick it up and try it out.

Playing Pokemon Y:

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by mistformsquirrl View Post
    Going to second Torchlight, Torchlight II and Path of Exile. All three are great action-rpgs, and Torchlight II has some heavy duty modding chops so if you liked modding Skyrim there's some extra longevity to be had there as well.

TitanQuest is also a lot of fun in the Diablo-like vein; and has the added bonus of being in an unusual setting for an ARPG.
    I have never heard of path of exile, but I have beat the crap out of torchlight 1. If torchlight 2 has modding and the gameplay is similar to TL1, I will absolutely HAVE to pick it up. Thank you for this.

Playing Pokemon Y:

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

If you like MMOs, The Secret World is pretty strong on background lore and such. No real RPG interaction, but it's a fun enough ride through some pretty great settings. I especially like the investigation missions where you actually have to solve puzzles (although you can of course just google the solution), some of which are pretty fun.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

I beat ME 1 and 2, havent really scratched the surface of 3, but I plan on it. It's just such a huge endeavor that I need to build up my will power ha.

Dark Souls is not the kind of game I can have fun with, and having fun is the most important part for me :)
    Whenever I want a challenge though, i may pick it up and try it out.
    Sadly ME3 isn't very long unless you buy all the DLC. If you enjoy it have at, but I found it the worst of the three.

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Tebryn View Post
    Sadly ME3 isn't very long unless you buy all the DLC. If you enjoy it have at, but I found it the worst of the three.
    that is indeed very sad, well i guess i will go and beat it then, no dlc for me thanks. not a fan of the execution of ME3.

Playing Pokemon Y:

13. - Top - End - #13
    Firbolg in the Playground

Put me down for another recommendation of Titan Quest. It's an upgrade over Diablo II on every levels, and still holds up after years of play.

I'd recommend Grim Dawn if it wasn't still in development. The gameplay is fantastic and satisfying.

Do you mind Wordy Roleplaying games? Because you cannot avoid Planescape Torment.

Cannot
    Cannot

It's almost a philosophical piece more than a game. Don't go into it thinking you'll bash monsters. Go into the game thinking you will stumble unto them as they take their coffee break and thus may just leave you alone if you don't provoke them.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Halfling in the Playground

I don't know if it's on Steam or not, but if you can find Darkstone, it was a fun diablo-like game that I enjoyed. I was released around 2000 or so. There is a wikipedia article on it.
    Awesome avatar by Dejuin!!!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

I have never heard of path of exile, but I have beat the crap out of torchlight 1. If torchlight 2 has modding and the gameplay is similar to TL1, I will absolutely HAVE to pick it up. Thank you for this.
    TL2 definitely sounds like something you'd like then; I certainly recommend it. It's even got (entirely optional) multiplayer if you happen to want to play with a friend.

Path of Exile is also great - it's got a truly MASSIVE passive tree that makes leveling a character an experience unlike anything else I've ever played. It's online only and does have microtransactions - but the microtransactions are almost entirely cosmetic affairs or useful services* - and you never have to deal with other players, you'll just see them occasionally in town.

It's also got a spectacular atmosphere and good (if a bit hard to follow) story imo.

*Nothing you actually need though. You can buy more storage space, but you have a pretty good chunk of it to begin with.
    Computer is back! Yay!

Feel free to check out my Deviantart page - it's not great, but I'm trying to change that.

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

You should actually give Two Worlds II a go. I know you said you'd played the first game and didn't like it, but that's probably got something to do with the first game being garbage--the second one is actually a lot better!

17. - Top - End - #17

TL2 definitely sounds like something you'd like then; I certainly recommend it. It's even got (entirely optional) multiplayer if you happen to want to play with a friend.

Path of Exile is also great - it's got a truly MASSIVE passive tree that makes leveling a character an experience unlike anything else I've ever played. It's online only and does have microtransactions - but the microtransactions are almost entirely cosmetic affairs or useful services* - and you never have to deal with other players, you'll just see them occasionally in town.

It's also got a spectacular atmosphere and good (if a bit hard to follow) story imo.

*Nothing you actually need though. You can buy more storage space, but you have a pretty good chunk of it to begin with.
    This comment has made me cautious, as I have played many games like this such as Guild Wars and I am kind of burned out on them. Is this comparible to Guild Wars?

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    You should actually give Two Worlds II a go. I know you said you'd played the first game and didn't like it, but that's probably got something to do with the first game being garbage--the second one is actually a lot better!
    I have heard that it is better than the first so maybe I will give it a try. Thank you.

Playing Pokemon Y:

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

It's nothing like GW imo, it's much much more like Diablo II/III

It's free other than those microtransactions I mentioned. <^.^>
    Computer is back! Yay!

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19

It's nothing like GW imo, it's much much more like Diablo II/III

It's free other than those microtransactions I mentioned. <^.^>
    ok than i will definitely check it out some time this weekend and get back to you on it.

In fact I will get back to you all on all of your suggestions by monday :)

Playing Pokemon Y:

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

If you're a Star Wars fan then I'd recommend the Dark Forces/Jedi Knight series. They're much more FPS than RPG (pretty much limited to picking force powers) but are some of the best of the SW games.

Previously mentioned ones I'll second/third are
    Fallout (all of Fallout really)
    Titan Quest (still got my copy on my desk)
    Deus Ex (only played Human Revolution but the first is supposed to be fantastic)

21. - Top - End - #21

I've been playing Saints Row 4 recently and it's great fun. Silly, funny, challenging when it needs to be, well voiced. Playing the previous installments is not required.

In the first 10 minutes of the game you will: save Washington from being nuked, become the President of the USA, punch a member of congress, fight aliens, and we experience a quick-time event for eating pancakes.
    Last edited by Excession; 2014-01-24 at 03:42 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Sacred is good. It looks like a diablo clone, but it's a lot more fun in my opinion.

I really enjoyed Two Worlds, so I'm not sure why you didn't, but given that, I'd suggest Dungeon Siege. The first one at least, is enjoyable, but not really party required. That said you might want to fill the empty slots with pack mules. Trust me.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Sacred 2 is also good, and unbuggy enough now to be playable. It's got the most fiendishly complex multivariate character advancement system I have ever encountered as well.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

24. - Top - End - #24

Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate II can be played either with a single character and NPCs or with your own party, although if you have the NPCs you'll still be controlling them (you don't seem to mind that in Neverwinter Nights 2 or Knights of the Old Republic, though). Similarly, Temple of Elemental Evil can be played either way. Planescape: Torment is in the same boat, more or less, because you can't create your own party if you want to.

Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura, Fallout, and Fallout 2 all have you with a single character, and the NPCs act more as they do in Neverwinter Nights.

Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader is one where you only have one character, and although you can get occasional NPC tag-alongs, it pretty much stays that way.

While Icewind Dale and Icewind Dale II can in fact be completed with a single character, they do expect you to have a full party and are quite difficult if you don't. There's no option of getting NPCs.

Those are all the ones that come to mind which I have played. I have heard that the Drakensang games are pretty good, but haven't got around to actually playing them, so I can't say if I'd agree.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

Adding another vote for Path of Exile. Excellent, free game.
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

If you want something rather unique, try Kerbal Space Program.
    If God had wanted you to live he would not have created me!

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Obviously, you should play Demon's Souls. It's superior to Dark Souls.

And by that I mean it's harder.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2014-01-24 at 10:14 PM.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

28. - Top - End - #28

PirateGirl

The Ur-Quan Masters. It's open source too, so it's free!

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Based on what you've played I think you would enjoy Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.
    I don't actually play D&D. I do play:

Magic: the Gathering Online (with FREE tournaments at Gatherling)
    DC Universe, my surprisingly good CoH replacement
    Planetside 2, MMO-meets-FPS (and the first shooter I've liked in ages).
    Simunomics - a massive multiplayer Business Simulation Game. Browser-based, free to play.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Pixie in the Playground

Gonna have to suggest Marvel Heroes. Effectively an MMO Diablo with Marvel Characters. Free to play but avoids the pay to win problem. The vast majority of stuff in the shop is acquirable through game play, cash just lets you shortcut the grind/rng. And the things you can only get in the shop are all optional/cosmetic. Nothing must have or that gives a real advantage.

Don't bother with looking up the reviews. They're all from around release and weren't exactly positive, but the game has improved massively since then. The devs give a damn and regularly interact with the community