New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

Default [PF] The Cavalier's Banner

Alright. I'm thinking of playing a Cavalier in an upcoming campaign, but heres my problem: it says that the cavalier's banner must be small or smaller. So what happens when you, say, play a small charcter because if you played a medium character your mount would be Large which would be pretty useless in a campaign that takes place almost entirely in dungeons? Am I waving around a banner as big as myself? I assume it would take up both hands, so what would I fight with? Sure my mount can display it, but don't I need to wield it to use the latter part of Greater Banner, not my mount?

Or, is there some hidden thing that says I could strap the banner to a sword, or wear as a cape, or that my mount can magically pieck it up and wave it around with it's hooves/claws when I tell it to?
    Words and stuff!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Default Re: [PF] The Cavalier's Banner

Can't remember if it is 3.5 or pathfinder but the last time someone played a cavalier in one of my games we found an armor modification that let you bear it on a pole attached to the back of your armor. Either way a Small object is NOT the same size as a Small creature, you should be able to wield it one handed just like any other small object

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

The Fighter's Dragoon archetype implies that most dragoons and cavaliers have their banners tied to their lances. Otherwise, putting your banner/insignia on your cape actually sounds like a pretty good idea.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

Ah. I see...so is there something that would tell me the equivilancies between small objects, small weapons, and small people for future reference? And could I carry the banner in my shield hand? Attach it to my lance? Or get Catch Off-Gaurd and just fight with it?
    Words and stuff!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Just looked it up. The Dragoon actually states that the lance is what the banner is attached to, and the Cavalier's artwork has it there, so yes, I'd say you're meant to put it on your lance. And considering you're a cavalier, you probably have one.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ailowynn View Post
    Ah. I see...so is there something that would tell me the equivilancies between small objects, small weapons, and small people for future reference? And could I carry the banner in my shield hand? Attach it to my lance? Or get Catch Off-Gaurd and just fight with it?
    Weapons for an appropiate sized character (not having big limbs or whatever) are two sizes smaller. A weapon for a medium pc is a tiny object.

In any case, I'm pretty sure the banner can be attached to your lance without any inconvenience