Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 62
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2006

    Default Once Upon A time

    Ok I've gotten back into this series after taking a hiatus in the beginning of Season 1. It's Gotten out of Half Fantasy Half Reality and now both Universes are pretty much fantasy.

    Anyone else Watching?
    Last edited by Devonix; 2012-10-27 at 07:10 AM.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Nameless's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    London, UK

    Default Re: Once Apon A time

    Indubitably.
    It took me a while to get into it, the acting was a bit meh at first, and parts of the story felt a bit too much like a soap, but eventually I started enjoying it.
    Season 2 so far is fantastic.
    Dear Princess Celestia,


    You faithful student,
    Nameless

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2006

    Default Re: Once Apon A time

    Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    Indubitably.
    It took me a while to get into it, the acting was a bit meh at first, and parts of the story felt a bit too much like a soap, but eventually I started enjoying it.
    Season 2 so far is fantastic.
    I kept wondering how long they would be able to drag on with the curse and such but Bam they screw expectations and just start explaining things.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    TheWombatOfDoom's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Aldain
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Once Apon A time

    The latest episode with smee and hook was excellent. I'm thinking the area they are in in the magical world is "Neverland", and that for some reason it's magically protected.
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

    World Building Project:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

    Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Spell Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt
    (you can't take the sky from me)

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Starbuck_II's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Enterprise, Alabama
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Once Apon A time

    Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    The latest episode with smee and hook was excellent. I'm thinking the area they are in in the magical world is "Neverland", and that for some reason it's magically protected.
    Well, the Pirate did get told about it (he now has a Hook so he is likely Captain Hook...)

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2006

    Default Re: Once Apon A time

    Yep He's actually called James and then gets the Hook.

    Captain James Hook

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Earth

    Default Re: Once Apon A time

    I've watched the first few episodes, and it seemed ok but I was starting to find Henry to be a bit insufferable. I have a vaguely ominous feeling that this is probably going to get worse before it gets better.

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Joran's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Once Apon A time

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Silver View Post
    I've watched the first few episodes, and it seemed ok but I was starting to find Henry to be a bit insufferable. I have a vaguely ominous feeling that this is probably going to get worse before it gets better.
    It gets really good near the end of Season 1. Season 2 has been nothing but good.

    I especially approve of Sleeping Beauty trying to knife Snow White.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Fjolnir's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008

    Default Re: Once Apon A time

    One thing I like is that the series is really carried on the strength of the evil characters The Evil Queen & Rumplestiltskin really drive the plot in many ways
    Avatar by kpenguin
    Spoiler
    Show

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Nameless's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    London, UK

    Default Re: Once Apon A time

    Quote Originally Posted by Devonix View Post
    I kept wondering how long they would be able to drag on with the curse and such but Bam they screw expectations and just start explaining things.
    Now... if only they can fix the crappy visuals, everything will be perfect...
    (Seriously... Wonderland was horrible and arbitrary in every way possible.)
    Dear Princess Celestia,


    You faithful student,
    Nameless

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground
     
    t209's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Once Apon A time

    Two Words
    Spoiler
    Show
    Black Lancelot, who is now dead.
    Pony Minecraft Avatar by Dirtytabs
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    TheWombatOfDoom's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Aldain
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Once Apon A time

    Quote Originally Posted by t209 View Post
    Two Words
    Spoiler
    Show
    Black Lancelot, who is now dead.
    Um....so what?
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

    World Building Project:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

    Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Spell Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt
    (you can't take the sky from me)

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground
     
    t209's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Once Apon A time

    Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    Um....so what?
    Just
    Spoiler
    Show
    a small summary to what Snow White and her daughter is doing now that they met a shapeshifter who disguised as Lancelot. So what is happening to Storybrooke, other than Prince's command the town inhabitants not to leave.
    Pony Minecraft Avatar by Dirtytabs
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground
     
    JoshL's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Once Apon A time

    Waited on Season 1 until it was all finished, so I could watch it in one sitting (well, a few, a couple episodes every day), which is usually how I like to watch things that are more through story and less episodic. Glad I did, it works really well that way, pacing-wise. Absolutely loved the show.

    Glad to hear that S2 is good so far!

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    SwashbucklerGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    In an apartment:-)
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Once Apon A time

    The only confusing thing about season two is that two universes storyarc creates some difficulty in watching it. First there's Storybrook, then there's the past in the "Realm," and finally the present in the "Realm." I know from watching Jericho that three split storylines are possible as that was the direction they wanted to take their second season before it got cut, but the way their accomplishing it here makes it go episodes without seeing A-list stars.
    Wizard's First Rule: People will believe anything, either because they want it to be true, or they are afraid it is true.

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Earth

    Default Re: Once Apon A time

    Quote Originally Posted by Joran View Post
    It gets really good near the end of Season 1. Season 2 has been nothing but good.
    Does Henry stop being such an annoying, moaning twit though? Because I think that's going to be the deal-breaker for me.

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Malak'ai's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2012

    Default Re: Once Apon A time

    Well 'Grandpa' started 'teaching' him how to use a sword in the end of one last couple of episodes and he wasn't an annoy twit. Just an annoy kid with a wooden sword .


    Peeking Druid and Sleepy Kitty Avatar by Kurien and Awesome Party banner by Akrim.elf .

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Mewtarthio's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Once Apon A time

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Silver View Post
    Does Henry stop being such an annoying, moaning twit though? Because I think that's going to be the deal-breaker for me.
    I was never that fond of Henry, but the show does seem to recognize that he's an impulsive little kid. He doesn't really get less annoying, but the show doesn't focus on him as much as the season goes on.

    If it helps, try to remember that the kid grew up in a town where nobody aged except him and nobody except he and his sociopathic mother noticed. For all his life, he'd simply outgrow his friends: He'd grow up, they wouldn't, and eventually they'd start claiming he'd always been out of their age group. And now some big kids are acting like they grew up with him...

    Couple all that with a mother whose idea of "love" is "absolute despotic control," and it's really not suprising that he's so desperate to lift the curse.

    Quote Originally Posted by t209 View Post
    Two Words
    Spoiler
    Show
    Black Lancelot, who is now dead.
    Requiescat in pace. He seemed like a pretty cool guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.
    Currently doing a blind LP of Higurashi

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Xondoure's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    I'm sure it's somewhere
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Once Apon A time

    Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    I was never that fond of Henry, but the show does seem to recognize that he's an impulsive little kid. He doesn't really get less annoying, but the show doesn't focus on him as much as the season goes on.

    If it helps, try to remember that the kid grew up in a town where nobody aged except him and nobody except he and his sociopathic mother noticed. For all his life, he'd simply outgrow his friends: He'd grow up, they wouldn't, and eventually they'd start claiming he'd always been out of their age group. And now some big kids are acting like they grew up with him...

    Couple all that with a mother whose idea of "love" is "absolute despotic control," and it's really not suprising that he's so desperate to lift the curse.

    Requiescat in pace. He seemed like a pretty cool guy.
    It's actually quite annoying how they never address what it must have been like for Henry to grow up in Story Brooke.
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show


    3DS Friend Code: 3411-1771-4133
    Friend Safari: Dunsparce, Minccinno, Eevee

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    missmvicious's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    dallas
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Once Apon A time

    Quote Originally Posted by Xondoure View Post
    It's actually quite annoying how they never address what it must have been like for Henry to grow up in Story Brooke.
    Oh I have been wondering about that myself. Like he gets older but no one else ever does?

    Anyways my hubby InexorableTruth and I watch it on hulu.
    Cl:{D
    Hatchworth Smiles

    Character(s)

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Lord Seth's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2008

    Default Re: Once Apon A time

    The topic title's typo ("apon") should really be fixed.
    Check out my YouTube channel! I do Let's Plays!
    Currently Let's Playing: Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs (blind!)

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Fjolnir's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008

    Default Re: Once Apon A time

    I have a pet theory that the hat trick is going to happen again, henry and charming through to the fairy world and Emma and Henry back, effectively reseparating emma from her parents...
    Avatar by kpenguin
    Spoiler
    Show

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2011

    Default Re: Once Apon A time

    Rumplestiltskin. As long as he is there I doubt I'm going to stop watching. Although I have a bad feeling about his fate in the end. Not death, no, but I fear he'll lose what makes him Rumplestiltskin. Which isn't bad per se, butů %)
    Exception cannot prove the rule. It disproves it.

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Fjolnir's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008

    Default Re: Once Apon A time

    considering that a portion of this was a plot by Rumplestiltskin to gain access to the world his son was sent to in such a way that he would have some access to magic, I agree
    Avatar by kpenguin
    Spoiler
    Show

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    SwashbucklerGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    In an apartment:-)
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Once Apon A time

    Quote Originally Posted by missmvicious View Post


    Oh I have been wondering about that myself. Like he gets older but no one else ever does?

    Anyways my hubby InexorableTruth and I watch it on hulu.
    Well when Emma checked in at Grannie's at the end of the Pilot, Time started moving forward again. So that's not a major concern anymore, but it must have been interesting first dozen years of his life.

    My biggest question about Henry is how did he arrive in town if he, Emma, and Pinnochio are the the only ones who can enter or leave, and from all the information Henry was only a babe when he came to Storybrooke?

    Finally, I have to agree that perhaps the only way Rumpelstilkin is going to overcome his fears and addictions is to have Belle's help.
    Wizard's First Rule: People will believe anything, either because they want it to be true, or they are afraid it is true.

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Starbuck_II's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Enterprise, Alabama
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Once Apon A time

    Quote Originally Posted by LordRahl6 View Post
    Well when Emma checked in at Grannie's at the end of the Pilot, Time started moving forward again. So that's not a major concern anymore, but it must have been interesting first dozen years of his life.

    My biggest question about Henry is how did he arrive in town if he, Emma, and Pinnochio are the the only ones who can enter or leave, and from all the information Henry was only a babe when he came to Storybrooke?

    Finally, I have to agree that perhaps the only way Rumpelstilkin is going to overcome his fears and addictions is to have Belle's help.
    Technically, we don't know that is true. We just know storybrooke members can't leave freely.

    There isn't anything about regular folk can't enter (none choose to usually though). So a regular could have brought Henry there.

    Remember when police were coming to take Snow away (when she was accused)? They couldn't if regulars couldn't enter; so I think the barrier/border only affects townfolk.

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Helanna's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    In a state of denial
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Once Upon A time

    I'm really, really enjoying the second season so far. Actually, I was re-watching the first season on Netflix when I saw this topic.

    I give the show a lot of props for

    Spoiler
    Show
    breaking the curse in the first season. I was worried that it was eventually going to get really stale, with more contortions of the plot to make sure nothing ever got resolved . . . then bam! Curse is lifted and we get a new plot for season 2, Emma and Snow White being trapped in the other world. Which I'm enjoying seeing more of now.

    Also, my current prediction is that the Queen and Rumple will be redeemed by the end, and a new, bigger villain will take their place. This has been upheld by the appearance of Cora - there's definitely gonna be a showdown there.

    Edit: Just finished watching season 1 episode 7 . . . I miss Graham.
    Last edited by Helanna; 2012-10-27 at 07:07 PM.
    Awesome avatar by Tiffanie Lirle. Thank you!

    Her name is Saunel. She is very angry.

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Mewtarthio's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Once Apon A time

    Quote Originally Posted by LordRahl6 View Post
    My biggest question about Henry is how did he arrive in town if he, Emma, and Pinnochio are the the only ones who can enter or leave, and from all the information Henry was only a babe when he came to Storybrooke?
    Henry, Emma, and Pinnochio can enter and leave freely because they weren't hit by the curse. As far as the supernatural is concerned, Henry's just an ordinary child born on Earth. He clearly didn't know how the curse worked (he speculates that he could leave to get Emma because he was planning to come back and the curse could sense his intent, and he's genuinely surprised when Emma's able to leave without "bad things" happening), but all evidence indicates that only those who were hit by the curse are stuck in the town.

    As for how "Mr. Gold" was able to get Henry into Storybrooke in the first place: Even if he can't physically leave the town, nothing stops him from contacting the outside world through other means. Storybrooke isn't stuck with 1983 tech, so they have to be getting modern technology from somewhere. Rumpelstiltskin probably has contacts in the rest of the world. The only question is how he was able to find Henry in the first place, which I'm guessing has something to do with him learning Emma's name. Perhaps he managed to get some sort of spell on her before the curse hit to keep tabs on her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.
    Currently doing a blind LP of Higurashi

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Xondoure's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    I'm sure it's somewhere
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Once Apon A time

    Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    Henry, Emma, and Pinnochio can enter and leave freely because they weren't hit by the curse. As far as the supernatural is concerned, Henry's just an ordinary child born on Earth. He clearly didn't know how the curse worked (he speculates that he could leave to get Emma because he was planning to come back and the curse could sense his intent, and he's genuinely surprised when Emma's able to leave without "bad things" happening), but all evidence indicates that only those who were hit by the curse are stuck in the town.

    As for how "Mr. Gold" was able to get Henry into Storybrooke in the first place: Even if he can't physically leave the town, nothing stops him from contacting the outside world through other means. Storybrooke isn't stuck with 1983 tech, so they have to be getting modern technology from somewhere. Rumpelstiltskin probably has contacts in the rest of the world. The only question is how he was able to find Henry in the first place, which I'm guessing has something to do with him learning Emma's name. Perhaps he managed to get some sort of spell on her before the curse hit to keep tabs on her.
    Or perhaps he's got contacts in the foster home system due to his search for Baelfire.
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show


    3DS Friend Code: 3411-1771-4133
    Friend Safari: Dunsparce, Minccinno, Eevee

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    SwashbucklerGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    In an apartment:-)
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Once Upon A time

    I'm not going to disagree with the greater portion of what you guys are saying. However, I will point out a few things. When Augustus comes to town, (whom we find out later is Pinnochio) Emma, Henry, and Regina independently or together are all going HUH!!??. So on some level Storybrooke is cut off from the rest of the world. As for Regina sending Snow/Mary Margette to the state pentintary, I seem to remember a confrontation between Regina and Rumplestilskin that said it would be a death sentence to leave.

    Finally as for Baelfyre, how many believe he is the "Mystery Man" from the S2 premiere?
    Wizard's First Rule: People will believe anything, either because they want it to be true, or they are afraid it is true.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •