New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: AVB - The Ferreting One

Spoiler
    Show
    No, it doesn't go up into the air.

Three panic and try to run, provoking AoOs. The obvious leader grabs a whistle hanging from his neck and blows loudly into it.
    Spoiler: Links to my content threads
    Show
    Aldhaven - May 27, 2010 and ongoing.
    Aldhaven Rules and Homebrew (aldhaven.com)

Character Repository
    Homebrew List
    Quod tibi vis fieri, facias.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show

How many attacks did they provoke? Were they badly damaged?

Or do you need me to make the rolls? If so, how many?

I'll admit, I didn't expect them to necessarily run around like that.

Maz grins at the hobogoblins. He hadn't expected such a simple spell to provoke such a reaction from the warriors, and couldn't help but grin at the sight of it.

The leader, however, was annoying. He was attempting to rally them up! Well, we just can't have that now, can we?

But he needs to be careful. What if these ghostly warriors aren't enough to protect himself from the warriors? So instead he moves away, purposefully making noises while he walks to draw their attention and hopefully having them move again and take more damage from his warriors! But to be safe, he says a quick chant, and a few gestures later, and a bunch of him appear alongside him! Of course, they are invisible too!

Spoiler
    Show

Move back 20ft. Should be close to the limit of range on close range spells. He tries to make more noise than normal while walking to draw their attention and know his general direction, but not enough to know his exact location.

Casting: Mirror Image. Creates (1d4)[1] +2 images.
    homebrew

Interesting Stuff: Spellshapers, Metroid as Incarnum

Bindin's Bag o' Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by BelGareth View Post
    Bindin, this is why I love you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamshifter View Post
    ...I think my poor Monkadin just went to go get drunk. That's not a natural thing for him to do, at all. Thanks bindin.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

The three that fled each provoke 2 attacks while fleeing, though only 5 of the warriors are within range to attack any of them. The leader does not provoke.

You are invisible with invisible doubles. You hear another whistle answer from a few blocks away.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

4. - Top - End - #34

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Great. Allies. If only I had actually remembered a spell component pouch, I would be able to cast suggestion on the leader and have him tell the reinforcements away...... I just realized this keeps me from casting my main offensive spell, fireball, too! (gained ability to cast it from googles.

I think this is my time to beat it. I don't think I'd be able to tackle on reinforcements with my low hp.... Then again I have mirror image up, and the adventurer inside me is telling me to press on.......

Screw the job, it's not worth my life!

I'm guessing it's close to dark time in game? Never go to the docks at night......

Then again, I could be up against a bunch of level 1 warriors and not even know it...... The adventurer in me is embarassed

On a side note, how do you handle character deaths? Just create a new one, you review it whenever you have a moment and ta da, you're in again?

IC:
    Maz hesitates when he hears the second bell. Great, reinforcements! He reaches down to a pouch...... Or where he had meant to put a pouch once he had bought it! He curses himself silently. Now his greatest spells were beyond his reach....

Perhaps today just wasn't his day. He decides it time to beat it. He can always come back..... Might be best if he comes back with buddies!

Oh great, now that he thinks about it, he'll have to give up his appearance. They know what he looks like now. Luckily that was easy for him, but he had worked so hard on this appearance too.

Now's not the time to get lost in thoughts, he decides. He starts to sneak away from the warriors, and back to the main street. While moving he takes a quick second to retrieve some disgusting greenish liquid, in a vial of course, out of his haversack.

'Good thing I picked some of this up....' He thinks to himself, for if he uses it with his invisibility spell, it'll last twice as long!

Spoiler
    Show

Move 15ft away, moving to the dock entrance
    Move Silently:(1d20+11)[29]

Screw it, he's running!
    Move 30ft away, moving to the dock entrance. He keeps towards the side of the road so that anyone running down the center of it won't run him over

Move action: Retrives Doppleganger Bile from his havardsack. When used with an invisibility spell, the duration is doubled!

As a note, how far is the entrance from where I am currently? I'll be willing to burn through several invisibility spells to get to the entrance.

Once he gets into the crowds, he's safe

Or so he thinks.

If worse comes to worse, he'll be trying to get all of the enemies in a group and Glitterdust them and hope they have bad will saves....
    Last edited by bindin garoth; 2012-11-14 at 09:57 PM.
    homebrew

Bindin's Bag o' Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

...I think my poor Monkadin just went to go get drunk. That's not a natural thing for him to do, at all. Thanks bindin.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by bindin garoth View Post
    I'm guessing it's close to dark time in game? Never go to the docks at night......
    Early afternoon. You've got about 4 or 5 hours until dusk.

Quote Originally Posted by bindin garoth View Post
    On a side note, how do you handle character deaths? Just create a new one, you review it whenever you have a moment and ta da, you're in again?
    Pretty much, but repeat players do get a little bit of preferential treatment.

Before I proceed, knowing you have several hours remaining, did you want to continue forward and just avoid them or do you still want to run away?
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

6. - Top - End - #36

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show

Well, to be honest I'd feel like I had better odds with a spell component pouch to fuel some of my best spells.

But......

The adventure calls! I'll give it a shot, if it comes down to it I have tanglefoot bags and invisibility potions.

I'll challenge them!

Hmmm...... I have several instant action stopping spells, so as long as all of them can't get to me I'll be ok? Let see, I have mirror image for protection anyways.....

Maz throws all images of running away out of the window! He was a fighter for crying out loud! Well, a mage, but he was raised and trained by the dark side of the city! And he already backed down once today, he won't do so again!

Deciding it's time to reveal himself, he figures it'd be best if he can disable them all.

With this in mind, he starts his attack. First he'll make it hard for them to move. He lifts his hands, and the whole area around them seeming to shake and move around, or at least to the hobogoblins. Unfortunately, it affects some of the ghost warriors too, but not all of them.

Spoiler
    Show

This is medium range, so I'll back up another 10ft first.

They are still in the Legion of Sentinels spell area right? Or on the opposite side of it?

Cast Vertigo field, centered on the Legion of Sentinels spell.

All must make a fortitude save DC20 (Already included: +1 from illusion veil, +1 surprise casting) each round or be nauseated for 1 round. The 6 sentinels closest to hobogobolins (especially the damaged ones) are immune to this effect. Once a creature fails a save, they do not need to make any more saves.

All attacks within the field suffer a 20% miss chance. And most importantly, all terrain is considered difficult terrain.

Next round: Offensive time! I am using quite a bit of 3rd level spells though..... Probably should cool it down a little.
    Last edited by bindin garoth; 2012-11-14 at 10:45 PM.
    homebrew

Bindin's Bag o' Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

All of them, even the leader, become nauseated.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

8. - Top - End - #38

Maz grins. Everything was going perfectly! Now they would have such a hard time getting to him, not to mention they'd either have to move through his ghosts or take extra time to move around them!

Still, as time had told him over and over again, it's best to be extra careful. He pulls out a vial of disgustingly green liquid, and his face clearly shows that the smell isn't much better. Still, he holds onto it, while holding his left hand towards the leader.

"Not much you can do now, huh?" Maz sneers. His gloves briefly glow, ad release 3 speeding bullets of force towards the leader.

Spoiler
    Show

Move action, draw a vial of Doppleganger bile from the havardsack.

Standard action, sacrifice 1st lvl spell for the gloves, cast magic missile.

(3d4+3)[13] Force damage to the leader. Not much, but whelm is just weak, and whelming blast would catch some of my legion in it.
    homebrew

Bindin's Bag o' Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

About that time, (2d4)[6] additional hobgoblins arrive. These, unlike the first four, are heavily armed and armored, obviously trained soldiers. They quickly assess the situation and prepare to rush you en masse.

Your turn.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

10. - Top - End - #40

OOC: Hmmm......... I should probably run. But I still have to meet up at the store with the others, and was just having fun in combat with this class too......

Well, taking on 10 enemies when you only have 28 hp is deadly. Luckily I can change my face as needed thanks to being a changling....

You know what? I'm going to push my luck. Let's see how good their will saves are....

IC:
    Maz is starting to get worried now. 10 foes all together? Things were getting out of hand. If only he had remembered to pick up a spell component pouch! Then things would be much much better. But surely he didn't have to run immediately, did he? He decides to try and take them on, hoping to blind the new warriors who arrived.

With but a few simple movements he causes it to rain golden dust above the 6 new warriors, which seem to be guided straight into their eyes!

Spoiler
    Show

Casting glitterdust on the 6 new warriors. DC 17 will save or blinded.

Move back 30ft, or in the middle of the 20 groups if they are on opposite sides of me.

*crosses fingers and hopes for the best*
    homebrew

Bindin's Bag o' Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    You know, you could have run away deeper into the Docks in the direction you need to go, right? They weren't exactly blocking your path down a narrow street or anything.
    Two of them fail their saves, becoming blind and running in your general direction, swinging their weapons.

The remaining four charge you, moving into flanking positions as they do. Two of them manage to hit you, while the other two manage to just barely miss.

You take (1d8+3)[5] and (1d8+3)[5] damage.

You seem to be pretty well surrounded...
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

12. - Top - End - #42

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show

Yup! Just the adventurer in me called out to at least try and fight them first!

Don't worry, I still have a trick up my sleeve. A true adventurer never runs out of tricks!

Did you include the Mirror images and the miss chance from them?

A rather large gash opens up on Maz's forearm. Maz is undaunted by the blows, however. He had hoped to blind more of them, and to continue fighting. But it looks like that wasn't happening....

So instead, he uses a small trick he developed, and makes it seem as if he was defending himself, when really he was casting a spell. Soon enough, he disappears from view...

Spoiler
    Show

Using my concealed spellcasting skill trick (opposed Sleight of Hand check vs their spot, they won't be able to make AoO if they fail the check)

Sleight of hand check: (1d20+10)[28]

Casting invisibility.

Move 15ft in any open direction. Move Silently: (1d20+11)[17]
    Last edited by bindin garoth; 2012-11-15 at 10:46 PM.
    homebrew

Bindin's Bag o' Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Yes, I included the mirror images. That's why only two of them hit. They all rolled high enough to hit...
    You manage to escape from them without provoking any attacks.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

14. - Top - End - #44

Maz continues his get away. He would go ahead with going towards the shop, but he's afraid he'd run out of his arcane energies along the way. He'll simply have to come back later, perhaps tomorrow. He's heard of strange things happening at the dock.

Still remembering he has foes all around him, he decides it's best to continue his escape. He casts a quick spell on himself, and makes his escape.

Spoiler
    Show

Cast Expeditious Retreat on self.

Now moving 30ft, moving silently (1d20+11)[25]

Edit: Clarifying, heading towards the entrance of the docks. Aiming to head back into town, hopefully to the plaza where he can get to some shops.

Edit 2: OOC
    Spoiler
    Show

I'm visiting family this weekend, don't expect many posts from me!
    Last edited by bindin garoth; 2012-11-16 at 09:17 PM.
    homebrew

Bindin's Bag o' Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

You manage to escape the fight and are now standing not far north from Dockside Gate. The river and the city are in front of you to the south.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

16. - Top - End - #46

Maz, knowing he has to change his appearance, moves to any nearby shadows and uses his natural changeling ability to change his features. He now appears to be a slightly shorter man, with sharp green eyes and messy brown hair. A scar appears on his right check, as if caused by a knife.

He decides to name this form Mark, and heads tot the north market place in search of a magic item shop. He hopes to find a spell component pouch.
    homebrew

Bindin's Bag o' Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

As you approach Dockside Gate, the guards stationed there stop you.

"Hold. What is your business in Aldhaven? When did you arrive?"
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

18. - Top - End - #48

OOC: does this count as the same encounter or not? May use my skill trick again if it counts as another encounter.

Great, should of waited to change until I got to the city. Maz (Mark) figures it'd be best to tell the truth, or at least a partial truth. After all the best lies had some truth to them.

"Guards, I am in fact a citizen of Aldhaven. Names Mark. I was originally coming to pier yo for the stolen item job, but some info from some of the people who work here convinced me I'd be best to avoid it."
    homebrew

Bindin's Bag o' Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

"I don't remember seeing you go out. So, tell me another one."
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

20. - Top - End - #50

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show

1. Does this count as a separate encounter for the purposes of skill tricks?
    2. Are the gates behind the guards shut or left open?

"Yes, unfortunately I was ambushed by some thugs and was force to flee. Luckily I know how to change my appearance quite well, and did so that I won't be recognized by them." Maz said. If this didn't work, he'd have to either change back into his original form, or sneak past them.
    homebrew

Bindin's Bag o' Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    1. yes
    2. open
    "Right... So prove it."
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

22. - Top - End - #52

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show

Would Maz have some sort of ID on him, where he is already a citizen?

To simplify things, if he does not:
    He will tell the guards to give him a moment while he "changes" back to his original form. To do this he will go to any dark place nearby (but not back the way he came), and change back into his 'Maz' look. He will then walk out to the guards and say "See? I told you so! Now you recognize me?"

He is still keeping an eye out for any nearby hobogoblins, and will roll a spot check (in next post since this is an edit) and listen to see if he spots/detects any.
    Last edited by bindin garoth; 2012-11-19 at 08:00 PM.
    homebrew

Bindin's Bag o' Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #53

OOC Part II:
    Spoiler
    Show

Spot:(1d20+4)[19]
    Listen:(1d20+4)[13]
    homebrew

Bindin's Bag o' Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Being an orphan, you would not automatically have become a citizen upon reaching adulthood. We'll just assume you acquired legal citizenship at some point though. You have your ID, but without the matching physical form, the guard will not accept it.
    You step into a shadowy alley out of sight and being to change form. Suddenly, you feel a magically sharpened dagger stab you in the back!

Dagger - (1d4+3)[5] + Sneak Attack - (2d6)[7]
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

25. - Top - End - #55

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show

*Gasp*

Single hit points! Not good for a caster

Why is the song "Another One Bites the Dust" stuck in my head?

Initiative:
    (1d20+2)[18]

Maz suddenly feels his body go limp as the dagger from seemingly nowhere stabs him in the back! He quickly turns around, but it is too late, it's clear the damage is done. His tries to catch his breath but seemingly cannot. Is it the end?

He'll just have to do what he does best! He decides that he'll continue to be attacked if he doesn't take out this one out, at least. Luckily, he has some tricks up his sleeve.

He takes a quick step back, and with a quick chant, casts a spell. He slowly fades from view......

Spoiler
    Show

5ft step back.

Invisible!

If the character can somehow see him, he'll cast (as an immediate action) Hesitate
    homebrew

Bindin's Bag o' Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

You win initiative, barely, but when you look, you are unable to see your attacker.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

27. - Top - End - #57

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show

You're going to make me burn through all of my spells aren't you?

Maz is unable to find his attacker. However, he quickly realized it must be from invisibility! Figuring it'd be best to at least know who attacked him.........

He calls upon what little reserves he has left in his arcane magic, and clears his eyes, ready to see whoever attacked him!

Spoiler
    Show

Casting see invisibility!
    Just to be safe:
    Spot: (1d20+4)[9]
    Listen:(1d20+4)[11]
    homebrew

Bindin's Bag o' Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

You fail to see anyone.

As if from nowhere, a sparkling dust begins to settle over the area, perhaps tossed into the air by your unseen assailant. The powder sticks to you, revealing your location. You hear a malicious snicker.
    Last edited by Rizban; 2012-11-19 at 11:28 PM.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

29. - Top - End - #59

Maz is now worried. The attacker obviously know where he is now. If things are left the way they are, he's a dead man.

The man (or woman) obviously knew of how to target his weak points. But he knew of one thing that stopped them. People with this.... Talent, needed to be able to precisely see the persons body, and anything that obscured the foe's body would stop them. But he decides against this tactic, and decides to do something a little bit different.

''Time to take a gamble.' Maz thinks to himself. He casts but a spell he used before, hoping to confuse the attacker.

Soon, multiple images of him appear out of nowhere.
    Spoiler
    Show

Casting Mirror Image. (1d4+2)[5] Images.

1 3rd level slot left.......
    Last edited by bindin garoth; 2012-11-20 at 12:14 AM.
    homebrew

Bindin's Bag o' Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

A hairless, grayish blue-skinned humanoid silently steps out of the shadows, stabs two of the illusions, which disappear. He then vanishes into the shadows once more.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List