New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: AVB - The Ferreting One

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show

Is he a changling? Or do I recognize him as looking similar to one?

Hmmmm..... Didn't provoke an AoO before, meaning he's more than 5ft away from me...... Idea!

Maz decides it's best to run at this point. There's no way he ca win in his condition, especially considering the foe has some way of hiding, despite there not being too much cover around in the area.

The biggest problem was, would this guy persue him? If so, running would be useless, unless he managed to change his looks without the man seeing him........ That was his only option at this point. He had wasted too much power attacking the hobogoblins before!

Well, in any case, he first has to escape. If he can just get to where the guards are, he can at least have a moment of relief. He casts a short spell and starts his escape.

Spoiler
    Show

Casting Expeditious Retreat.

Running 60ft towards the guards.
    Checks to spot the opponent:
    spot: (1d20+4)[23]
    Listen: (1d20+4)[7]

If I can spot where the opponent is (or the Hiding is lost for some reason, such as an AoO against me), I'll cast Hesitate as an immediate action.
    homebrew

Interesting Stuff: Spellshapers, Metroid as Incarnum

Bindin's Bag o' Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by BelGareth View Post
    Bindin, this is why I love you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamshifter View Post
    ...I think my poor Monkadin just went to go get drunk. That's not a natural thing for him to do, at all. Thanks bindin.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

You manage to escape the alley, provoking no AoOs. You spot movement and turn to face your assailant, but, no, it's merely a windblown leaf. You are able to return to the guards unmolested.

Spoiler
    Show
    Just so you know, his hide modifier is so high that you basically can't Spot him.
    Spoiler: Links to my content threads
    Show
    Aldhaven - May 27, 2010 and ongoing.
    Aldhaven Rules and Homebrew (aldhaven.com)

Character Repository
    Homebrew List
    Quod tibi vis fieri, facias.

3. - Top - End - #63

OOC:
    [spoiler]
    1. Do I recognize the enemy as a changling or droppleganger? Or do you need me to make a check?

2......... HOW high of a level is he??? Then again, I suppose you could of maximized the check with a smaller race/reducing size spells/powers, Incarnum, competence bonuses via items, ect.... But still. Over 24!

I have a bad feeling I need a way to take that guy down......
    [spoiler]

Maz continues his way to the guards as fast as he can. He limp seems to slow him down a little, but he continues on, aware of what'll happen if he doesn't continue.

As he gets closer to the guards, however, he's aware that they'll question what happened to him. He decides it's best to keep up his invisibility (despite being covered in glitter), until the last second or when he gets close enough. He figures that the guards will be able to tell where he is, but not able to make out the exact details of his face/body, and uses this to change his appearance in front of them without them knowing that he did. It only takes him a second to change his features back into 'Maz,' before dropping the invisibility.

"Now do you recognize me? And see what I mean about people are after me?" Maz says to the guards, gesturing towards the particularly painful stab wound on his back.

Spoiler
    Show

Continue my way to the guards.

Take a full-round action to minor shapeshift back into Maz while still under the effects of invisiblity. I may be covered in glitterdust, but the actual invisibility spell hasn't been cancelled, and thus they shouldn't be able to make out the finer details of his face/body until the invisibility is lifted.
    homebrew

Bindin's Bag o' Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

...I think my poor Monkadin just went to go get drunk. That's not a natural thing for him to do, at all. Thanks bindin.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I promise you that he is only 6th level.

It was actually dust of appearance, not glitterdust.
    It does not appear to be a changeling or doppleganger. In fact, it looks like nothing more than a particularly cruel human with bluish skin and no hair. he also appears to have missed a few meals lately, giving him a thin, wiry build. Its dirty loincloth did little to hide its form.

"Well, going into a dark alley around here is just stupid. We did warn you to stay out of the shadows before we let your through. Welcome back."

He steps aside to let you pass.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

5. - Top - End - #65

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show

Maz doesn't like you level 6 characters

Maz says nothing in return to the guard's comment. What could he say? They did warn him.

He begins his long hike to the Nothern Marketplace, avoiding any dark allies or the like. After that last bout, he decides it's best to make sure he can clearly see his surroundings.

As soon as he gets there, he uses his knowledge of the city to make sure he goes to the magic shop with the best deals.
    Spoiler
    Show

Knowledge(Local): (1d20+9)[11]
    Gather Information if the Knowledge Local doesn't reveal anything: (1d20+9)[15]
    homebrew

Bindin's Bag o' Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

North Market turns out to be a "market" in only the loosest sense of the word. It is mostly a residential area, but there are still a large number of shops of various kinds. Almost all the buildings are two stories in height, the merchants and craftsmen in this part of the city typically living above their shops/workshops. Most shops seem to sell common household goods or other basic nonperishable goods. There are a few workshops and several places selling raw materials and scrap metals.

(1d4+1)[2] hours later, you find that there are few magic vendors in North Market. Most are in Mages' Quarter or Midtown near the Plaza. However, you are directed to one small magical trinket shop named simply Trinkets.

You also hear of Pirner Outfitters, a general adventurer supply store in the district.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

7. - Top - End - #67

Maz decides he'll try out the simple small shop named Trinkets. Small shops tend to be more personable anyways, and perhaps he can convince the store owner to give him a discount! Well, he doubts that he'll be able to do so, considering he's not the best at being diplomatic.

Still, he heads towards the small shop, and knocks before entering. It was late in the day and he didn't just want to barge in if they were in the middle of closing up. It pays to be nice at times.
    homebrew

Bindin's Bag o' Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

The front door to the shop has a large window in it. The shop owner stares at you from behind the counter as you approach and and knock. He just shakes his head and rolls his eyes as you enter. Would that you could hear his thoughts, you might hear something along the lines of, "{sigh} Outlanders. Always the friggin' back water out-of-towners." Or perhaps he's thinking something entirely different. You really don't know.

"Greetings! Welcome to Trinkets. What may I get for you?"
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

9. - Top - End - #69

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show

Just fyi probably won't be able to.post until Sunday. Just had a quick sec to get on today
    homebrew

Bindin's Bag o' Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #70

Maz sighs before he enters. So it would be with one of those storekeepers. Well, there go all hopes of striking a deal. Might as well be quick here then.

"I'm here for but one small little thing. I forgot to stock up on components for spells before traveling around, and am looking for a spell-component pouch." Maz replies to the store cleric.

"Also, I may be grasping at thin air, but I might as well throw it out there. Do you have anything or anyone that needs to be looked into? I'm trying to get word out about my services."
    homebrew

Bindin's Bag o' Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

"Yep, we of course sell most basic spell components as well as pouches. Keep them over on the shelves over there. Pick out what you need, but be sure you close up the jars after.

What services are those?
    "
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

12. - Top - End - #72

Maz walks over to the shelf and quick starts sorting through the items, dropping only the finest items into the pouch he picked up. He is neat about it though, and makes sure to put everything back up perfectly in order.

While doing so, he responds to the shopkeeper.
    "I specialize in gathering information and similar activities..... Unfortunately, my name isn't well known, and I have a slow down of work right now."

"Alright, so how much for this?" He asks, bring the back full of spell components to the storekeeper.
    homebrew

Bindin's Bag o' Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

He scratches his head as he replies, "Then wouldn't it be better for your name to not be known? I mean, if people know you, then the people you spy on will come hunting for you. I mean, I know if you told me enemies secrets about me, I'd kill you in your sleep with no qualms about it."

He looks through the reagents, charging you the PHB prices for the pouch and any components with a specified cost.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

14. - Top - End - #74

"Eh, that's true. But it's also true that they can't do anything if they don't know who learned of their secrets. I'm not the only one who does things like this. Besides, there are other was to..... Discourage such tactics." He says, paying for the pouch.

"Well, if that's everything, I'm outta here. Thanks for the items." He says with a quick wave of the hand before heading out.

He figured it was best to just keep on following the jobs he heard about on the streets for now. But first rest was needed. And even before that, he should make up a new disguise........ Where to hide was the real question? Sure, he was out of the docks, but still..... He was scare of the shadows. At least for now, especially considering he was especially weak for now.

He instead steps into the nearest bar. He steps to the back where the bathrooms would be, and when alone, he uses his ability to assume a completely new form.

From there, he heads back out and to the nearest moderately priced inn. He wasn't completely broke yet, he wasn't going to stay at those second rate inns!

Spoiler
    Show

Details of new form:
    This form appears to by a tan, tall male elf with raven black hair. The hair is tied back into a ponytail, and goes all the way down to the middle of his back. His eyes are a sea green color.
    homebrew

Bindin's Bag o' Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

You come across an inn named The Fool and Chariot. The inn is a large two story timber framed building with fine masonry on the first floor decorate with a mural of a jester being dragged behind a chariot. Inside, it has a smooth stone floor, wooden walls, and a number of empty tables. A collection of tankards gathered from across many different lands occupies several shelves behind the bar.

There doesn't appear to be anyone inside.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

16. - Top - End - #76

Maz's instincts immediately go off. Something wasn't right...... This place should at the very least have a receptionist here. Moreso, it should have a crowd of people down here at the bar, drinking.......

He's not sure what to make of the situation. Perhaps this wasn't the best place to be after all. But, he wouldn't just turn around from this. He instead prepares by readying a minor spell, should anyone or anything assault him. He also draws a tanglefoot bag, should he need to delay any attacker.

Spoiler
    Show

Knowledge(Local): (1d20+9)[13]
    To see what I know about the inn

Ready an action to cast Net of Shadows at the first person to attempt to attack him. Others are targeted if they appear to be with the person. Move action to draw a tanglefoot bag.

Spot:(1d20+4)[15]
    Listen:(1d20+4)[11]

Should noone immediately be detected or attack him, he will proceed to look around the ground floor, covering the whole area. He will not move up to the second floor quite yet.

Search:(1d20+13)[31]

Does it look like a fight broke out at all, or any other signs of stuggle?
    homebrew

Bindin's Bag o' Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

You see no one.

Nothing seems out of place, nor are there any signs that anyone has been here lately. The tables are all cleared, the seats pushed in, and the fireplace clean of any soot.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

18. - Top - End - #78

Maz is confused. If no one was here, that means something was definitely wrong, and yet there was no signs of struggle. It means wherever they went, they went willingly....... Or worse. Except Maz wasn't sure what worse would be.

Well, might as well check the logbook before checking the upstairs. He can at least see the last time anyone stayed here.

After checking the logbook, he continues to move upstairs. Perhaps there was something upstairs that wasn't downstairs. Or not. But he had to at least look into it. Besides, if he doesn't find anything upstairs, he'll just scan the entire place with a little bit of magic, hopefully finding out something.

Spoiler
    Show

Holding readied action. I forgot to put up the dc, it's DC 17 will save. Also, since I have 1 essentia invested in Illusion Veil, it lasts an additional round.

Spot: (1d20+4)[17]
    Listen: (1d20+4)[19]
    Search: (1d20+13)[31]
    Move silently: (1d20+11)[23]

Maz will head to each upstairs floor, slowly and carefully, and try to open each door. But before opening each door, he searches the door for any traps. If the door is locked, he proceeds to pick it, taking advantage of his extra long picks, and picks each door from 5ft away.

Search for traps/Open Lock checks:
    Spoiler
    Show

Search: (1d20+13)[32]
    Search: (1d20+13)[25]
    Search: (1d20+13)[19]
    Search: (1d20+13)[28]
    Search: (1d20+13)[29]
    Search: (1d20+13)[25]
    Search: (1d20+13)[23]
    Search: (1d20+13)[28]
    Search: (1d20+13)[29]
    Search: (1d20+13)[30]
    Search: (1d20+13)[27]
    Search: (1d20+13)[27]
    Search: (1d20+13)[26]

Open Lock: (1d20+13)[31]
    Open Lock: (1d20+13)[28]
    Open Lock: (1d20+13)[17]
    Open Lock: (1d20+13)[17]
    Open Lock: (1d20+13)[25]
    Open Lock: (1d20+13)[16]
    Open Lock: (1d20+13)[23]
    Open Lock: (1d20+13)[33]
    Open Lock: (1d20+13)[22]
    Open Lock: (1d20+13)[23]
    Open Lock: (1d20+13)[28]
    Open Lock: (1d20+13)[21]
    Open Lock: (1d20+13)[26]
    Last edited by bindin garoth; 2012-11-26 at 10:09 AM.
    homebrew

Bindin's Bag o' Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

He is unable to find any sort of log book. However, while searching around, he hears the sound of some sort of movement coming from the basement.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

20. - Top - End - #80

Maz is started by the noise. 'The basement?' He thinks to himself. Slowly but surely, he creeps over to the door, trying to make sure not to make any noise while walking towards this.

As he gets to the door to the basement, he'll search the door quickly before actually opening it. Can't be careless afterall. He proceeds to slowly open the door, if the door is unlocked. If not, he pulls out his hand lockpicking tools and gets to business!

After being able to open the door, he only opens the door enough to poke his head through and look inside.

Spoiler
    Show

Move silently check: (1d20+11)[30]

Search check: (1d20+13)[29]

Disable Device (if trapped): (1d20+17)[20]

Open Lock: (1d20+13)[32]

Listening for more noises: (1d20+4)[24]
    Spot once I poke my head in: (1d20+4)[12]
    homebrew

Bindin's Bag o' Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

The door is unlocked. Inside, you find that the wooden stairs leading down have collapsed. Half buried in the rubble is a man who appears to be unconscious.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

22. - Top - End - #82

Hmmm...... The man looks unconscious, but is he? Maz can't help but think. He would shout out to the man, but he was worried that any noise of the like would disturb anyone else down there, if there was anyone else. Most likely there was, or so he thought. How else would of this collapse happened?

He uses a minor spell to communicate with the man, seeing if perhaps it would rouse him. Of course he had another spell that might too, but that created a loud sound, and would give away his location.

After finishing the spell, he whispers seemingly into the wind. "If you're somehow awake, don't move. Just whisper to respond. I'm directly above you, I'm going to come down and help." Couldn't just leave the man like this after all.

He finds a nearby sturdy object and pulls out some rope from his havardsack. Quickly giving the rope a quick tug to make sure it was secure, he uses it to lower himself down to the ground of the basement.

Upon getting down to the floor, he immediately scans his surroundings before moving to the man, and checking to see if he was alive (if he didn't respond).

Spoiler
    Show

Casting message spell.

Move Silently: (1d20+11)[30]

Use rope:(1d20+2)[15] To tie the rope to the most secure object on the floor I can find.

Lower myself down the rope.

Spot: (1d20+4)[7] Once in the basement
    Listen: (1d20+4)[24] once in the basement.

Heal:(1d20)[16] to check on the man. Untrained.

Still holding onto that tanglefoot bag incase he finds enemies.
    homebrew

Bindin's Bag o' Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

He does not respond.

He appears to be breathing.

Spoiler
    Show
    Paranoid much?
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

24. - Top - End - #84

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show

Well, you see, I'm one of those careful (yeah, right ) adventures.

If I don't see or hear someone, it means:
    1. My spot/listen rolls aren't high enough
    2. The enemy is invisible
    3.You are never alone. Don't even go there.

After checking on the man, Maz decides to check out the basement. He carefully walks around, looking to see if he can spot any clues as to what happened, or find another person down here!

He slowly creeps around the basement, taking his time to get a full view of the area down here. He takes particular note on any potential escape points, damaged areas (other than the initial rubble), ect.

He also keeps an eye out for any particularly valuable items. Perhaps he'll find something? Depending on what it is, he may take it while the man is unconscious.

After he's finally done, he'll try to remove the man from the rubble, and attempt to wake him with a spell.

Spoiler
    Show

Move Silently: (1d20+11)[17]
    Spot:(1d20+4)[9]
    Listen: (1d20+4)[11]

Survival (Untrained):(1d20)[15] to see if he can find any traces of other people who were/are down here, where they might of gone, and any similar info.

Search: (1d20+13)[17] To find anything unusual or valuable.

As stated above, he may or may not take anything, depending on what he sees/finds.
    Cast rouse on the man.
    homebrew

Bindin's Bag o' Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

The basement is entirely filled with large casks of wine and ale and several crates of stored foodstuffs.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

26. - Top - End - #86

Spoiler
    Show

Was there any sign of anyone else having been there?
    Any other exits?

Did the spell work to awaken him?
    homebrew

Bindin's Bag o' Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    No.
    No.

Sorry, was posting from my phone and didn't get it all typed out before I had to go.
    When you drag him from the rubble, you reopen his wounds. He begins bleeding out.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

28. - Top - End - #88

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show

No worries! Its that irritating RL disease going around that's getting in your way, isn't it?

Maz is worried for the man's life now. He was no healer! He thought about trying to stop the bleeding, but he wasn't good at that stuff. Beside, what about all of the blood he would get on him? How would that look to the authorities?

He figures it's best to find someone. And fast! This man would bleed out if he didn't get the attention he required!

And so he runs. As fast as he can. Unfortunately, the dagger wound in his back starts to bleed again, and he almost lets out a yelp of pain from reopening the wound. But he continues on until he is outside.

"I NEED A HEALER OF ANY SORT, ANY HEALING POTION, IMMEDIATELY! HE'S DYING!" He yells out once he gets to the streets. He keeps on repeating this, turning blue in face until he gets the attention of anyone who can help. He immediately leads them back to where the man is.
    homebrew

Bindin's Bag o' Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Worse than that. It's jury duty.
    It takes you two round to climb back up the collapsed stairs and back into the street, and a third round for someone to respond.

"I'm a cleric. Take me to him." The boy who answered is young, maybe 13 or 14, but he's the only one who isn't ignoring you or staring without acting.
    Last edited by Rizban; 2012-11-28 at 11:56 PM.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

30. - Top - End - #90

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show

Ouch.

I've been lucky and not had it yet. But of course that's the keyword.

I wonder if the excuse, "Nut judge (sir or ma'm), if I con't get back the city will fall in shambles due to reckless PC's! They'll actually survive the docks!"

Any interesting cases?

"Good! He's right in the basement! You'll have to climb down, the stairway collapsed." Maz says before hurrying back. He leads the cleric down the rope and to the man.

"Thanks for the help. I just found him in the rubble over there; came looking for a place to sleep. I tried pulling him out but he started bleeding out unfortunately." Maz says.

"Name's Maz, by the way."
    homebrew

Bindin's Bag o' Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show