New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: AVB - The Ferreting One

The cleric doesn't waste any time climbing and simply jumps to the bottom, badly twisting his ankle as he lands. He reaches over and lays his hands on the man, "Cure light wounds!"

(1d8+3)[6]

The "-9" hovering above the man's head fades as he regain consciousness.
    Last edited by Rizban; 2012-11-29 at 03:07 AM.
    Spoiler: Links to my content threads
    Show
    Aldhaven - May 27, 2010 and ongoing.
    Aldhaven Rules and Homebrew (aldhaven.com)

Character Repository
    Homebrew List
    Quod tibi vis fieri, facias.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Bugbear in the Playground

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show

-9?

I cut it that close?

Maz sees the cleric twist his ankle, flinching at the sight. That had to hurt. But before he can get to the cleric's side, the cleric had managed to touch the man with his magic!

Whew, what a close one. Relief washed over his face as he saw that everything would be ok. He moves to the clerics side, offering him a hand to help him up.

"Thank you.... Sorry, I never got your name." He says to the cleric, rubbing the back of his head slightly nervously.
    homebrew

Interesting Stuff: Spellshapers, Metroid as Incarnum

Bindin's Bag o' Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by BelGareth View Post
    Bindin, this is why I love you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamshifter View Post
    ...I think my poor Monkadin just went to go get drunk. That's not a natural thing for him to do, at all. Thanks bindin.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

He focuses two more spells on the wounded man, then a couple cure minor wounds on his own ankle.

(1d8+3)[9]
    (1d8+3)[8]

"And I'm out for the day... great.

It's Albert.

Are you okay, sir?
    "

The man grunts as he tries to sit up.

"Yeah. Damned stairs collapsed as I was heading back up. Strangest thing is I just had them repaired not a week ago."
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

4. - Top - End - #94

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show

Out for the day?

And I was hoping for some healing myself

"Just had them repaired? How many times have they collapsed? Name's Maz, by the way."

Maz steps up to help the man up. Maz did think it was funny the stairwell collapsed at least twice....... Sabotage? It seems like a weird way to do it however, when you could, say poison the food, make his business become ruined, or a number of other things. Still.....

"I'll admit, I was surprised when I came in and saw no one around..... Business not doing good?" Maz asks the man. That was his other main concern. Perhaps these two things were connected?
    Last edited by bindin garoth; 2012-11-30 at 12:14 AM.
    homebrew

Bindin's Bag o' Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

...I think my poor Monkadin just went to go get drunk. That's not a natural thing for him to do, at all. Thanks bindin.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Titan in the Playground

"Never before. There was a bit of rot, so I hired a guy.

What? No. Pub's just not open for lunch, only breakfast and dinner.
    "
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

6. - Top - End - #96

"Well, that would explain it." Maz says.

"Albert, thank you for the help. I'm sorry, I would give more if I could, but please except small donation for your church for your help." He says as he hands him a some gold (30gp). He didn't have much to spare, but he himself hated it when clients were stingy and didn't deliver on their promises. Oh, he got his revenge on them all right, but that didn't make it enjoyable.

He figured he deserved it for helping out. Especially after taking that fall; he may of only twisted his ankle, but it truly had looked nasty. Luckily he had some healing remaining to heal himself, otherwise the healer would of needed healing! How ironic it sounded - but Maz was letting himself get distracted. He walks over to the rubble, and starts to examine the rubble. Why would of the stairwell collapsed twice in a row, despite being repaired?

It could of been shoddy repairs, but he doubted it. The owner surely wouldn't of paid for some cheap half-done repair.

Spoiler
    Show

Not quite sure what kind of check you want for this, but Maz is inspecting the rubble to figure out what caused the collapse.

So here's what I'll do:

d20 roll: (1d20)[20]

And here's the skill modifiers of what might be used for the check:
    Search: +13
    Spot: +4
    Knowledge(Architecture) :+5, untrained

Edit: ....... It's been a long time, twenty. How nice it is to see your face again
    Last edited by bindin garoth; 2012-11-30 at 10:03 PM.
    homebrew

Bindin's Bag o' Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #97
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry that he's out of spells... He's only a 3rd-level apprentice, and it's late in the day.
    Albert thanks you and takes the gold before leaving. You never even got the chance to ask how to get in touch with him again if you wanted to... Stupid stairs distracting you.

The owner joins you in examining the stairs, but it quickly becomes clear that he's just pantomiming the act as he has no clue about carpentry related matters.

Your own investigation does show something unusual. It seems as though the stairs were repaired recently, but the repair work was done with the intention of it only lasting a few days before collapsing. It seems someone wanted this man to fall and die.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

8. - Top - End - #98

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show

No problem! He'll just have to seek out someone tomorrow!

"I don't want to scare you, but....... It looks like someone wanted you dead. These repairs were intentionally made weak, so that they would collapse after a while. Is there anyone that you know who may do something like this? Also, who'd you hire to repair the stairs." He says, and then realizes he may be asking a bit too many questions. Especially when this could turn into a job.

"Look, I do information gathering for a living, and I'd be more than happy to look into this for you. But.... I need a place to stay. And I can't work for free. Pay is always worked out afterwards, depending on how satisfied you are with my work. And it might not be a bad idea to have someone around here who could protect you should something like this happen, which I could do while I'm here."
    homebrew

Bindin's Bag o' Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

A look of panic fills his eyes. He can only sputter for a few moments until he is able to regain his composure.

"K..Kill me?! Why?! I don't know why someone would want me dead. Oh, this is terrible, terrible. What am I going to do?!

Oh! Yes, yes, of course! You're going to stay here for free and make sure they don't come back and try again! I'll accept nothing less.
    "
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

10. - Top - End - #100

A gleam in his eyes appear, as an idea suddenly pops into his head!

"You know, I just got an idea, Mr....... I'm sorry, I don't think I ever got your name."

Maz continues "I have a very uncanny gift of appearing as other people. We could hide you upstairs while I run the business, waiting for the attacker to strike again. This way, we can keep you safe! We'll have to disguise you too, just not as badly due to keeping you out of sight. What do you think?"
    homebrew

Bindin's Bag o' Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground

"Adolf, and no way. I'm letting you having full control of my business. I don't care if you did save my life."
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

12. - Top - End - #102

Maz puts up his hands. "Sorry, sorry. I didn't mean it as taking over your business. But I can see where you're coming from. I'll figure out what happened, although I could use some rest first. Today's been a long day for me."

Maz proceeds to start heading up the rope with Adolf. He scrunches his face for a second, as if he for....... Ah, there it is!

"While I'm thinking about it, who'd you hire to take care of these stairs?"He asks the man.
    homebrew

Bindin's Bag o' Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

"A half-elf named Bartholomew. He's a traveling merchant that comes by here sometimes. Friend of mine. He sells various knickknacks and does repair work."
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

14. - Top - End - #104

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show

Sorry to hear about how busy life is for you! Hope everything is ok!

"Travelling merchant, huh?" If he was truly a travelling merchant, what reason would he have for sabotaging and killing this man? But he could just rule out this merchant because of that.... He decides to sleep on it for now.

"I'll talk to him tomorrow, see what I can find out. For now, think you could show me a place to sleep? Today hasn't exactly been the best day for either of us."

Of course, at that moment, Maz feels the stab wound throb. He flinches slightly at it.
    homebrew

Bindin's Bag o' Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

"Sure, I'll let you stay awhile for free. You did save my life after all."

He gives you the key to one of the upstairs rooms.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

16. - Top - End - #106

Maz quickly heads up to his room, and collapses in the bed. But then he remembers, he may not be safe here.... Perhaps he should change his looks? Then again, if the owner finds him looking completely different, who knows what would happen. He quickly runs downstairs.

"I forgot to mention, you may find me looking.... A little different tomorrow morning. Just a precaution I normally take when sleeping. You'll recognize me by the fresh-looking scar on my left check. Also, if anyone asks, I'm not here."He says to the man, before heading back to his room.

When he's sure he's alone, his form starts to shift. He then collapses on the bed, and the sweet mistress of the night soon finds him sleeping.

New form appearance:
    Spoiler
    Show

Maz now appears to look as a middle aged man, one who could use a good shave. His eyes are dark blue, his hair a dirty blond. He appears quite muscular, although anyone asking him to lift anything will soon find out he's anything but that. He also has a single scar on his face, a single vertical cut on his left check that still looks recent.
    homebrew

Bindin's Bag o' Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #107
    Titan in the Playground

The shop owner seems unsettled when you mention your shifting form but nods politely.

You sleep soundly and unmolested despite the loudness of the tavern goers that evening.

After 8 hours of sleep, you awaken. It is now just after 10 PM.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

18. - Top - End - #108

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show

Yay, Rizban's back!

'Well, no ambush. That's a good sign. I've already done enough to anger folks in the area.' He thinks to himself after waking up. He rest had been quite hard, most likely due to the exhaustion from the fights that day. It had been quite some time since he had been through such an ordeal.

After meditating to regain his arcane energies, he proceeds to head downstairs.

If there is a crowd still there: (figured doing my actions like this would speed things up a little)
    Spoiler
    Show

Maz will take a quick took around from the stairwell, looking to see if he spots anyone or anything unusual. After taking his time (trying not to look to suspicious), he heads back up to his room and proceeds to cast his spell. It had been a long time since he had used this spell, but it was undoubtedly useful for what it does. Assuming the enemy was weak minded, of course.

He proceeds to maintain concentration on the spell, and overlooks all of the customers in the area, as if he was trying to spot someone or something particular.

Afterwards, he joins the owner (wherever he may be) and strikes up a small chat, before asking "Anything unusual?" He makes sure to mention his scar on his left check and the name Maz (although not claiming it to be his own), to make sure the owner knows who it is.

Spoiler
    Show

Spot: (1d20+4)[11] Looking for an out-of-place customer.
    Cast detect thoughts. (only if it's not obvious he's using it after casting it. If it is he won't cast it, due to customers being able to tell he cast it).

Conceal spellcasting skilltrick (incase someone is observing him and he is unaware of it) (1d20+10)[16]

If there is no crowd:
    Spoiler
    Show

Maz will head up to the owner and ask "It's me. Remember the scar?" He asks, point to the scar on his left check, which he had mentioned to the owner earlier.

"Have you noticed anything unusual or different tonight? Or did Bartholomew show up?"

Random Fun Fact:
    Spoiler
    Show

Bartholomew is the last name of two boys whom my parents are god-parents of

Check:
    Spoiler
    Show

Spot: (1d20+4)[9]
    Listen: (1d20+4)[9]

Both to notice if they are being observed or the like.

homebrew

Bindin's Bag o' Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #109
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, I don't usually post on weekends.

The evening crowd is eating, drinking, and being quite loud. You manage to cast your spell unhindered.

The owner is too busy to chat, though he sees you as you come down the stairs and recognizes the scar.

As you scan the room, you feel that most people in the room are decidedly average. Two people at a table in one corner do not read at all. As you scan across the room into another corner, you feel a sharp pain in your forehead which causes you to stumble and become completely stunned.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

20. - Top - End - #110

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show

There's someone with 30+ Int!? DANGER! DANGER!

That is all.

Maz is utterly shaken as the spell backlashes at him There was someone that intelligent here? How!? Of course, there was the two in the other corner, but they might of just had strong wills, or protection from such spells. It wasn't a perfect spell, there were numerous ways to defend oneself from it.

Maz decides to simply observe for now. After all, they weren't directly threatening the owner or himself at the moment. As soon as the stun wears off, Maz moves for the nearest table and orders some food. He was starving, it had been a while since he ate before!

Spoiler
    Show

Can you describe the two that made the save and the super high Int guy?

Spot: (1d20+4)[16] Looking for anything unusual about the three (physically, of course).

Are these guys acting normal (Joking around, talking to others, ect), or do they seem too observant or the something similar. Sense Motive if needed (1d20+5)[17]
    homebrew

Bindin's Bag o' Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

The don't appear to be any different from any of the other patrons. The people are all human and seem to be manual laborers. Nothing sets any of them apart on casual observance.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

22. - Top - End - #112

'Might as well stick around, see if anything happens. I can always set out once I make sure the owner's safe.' Maz thinks to himself.

He moves to a nearby open table, and orders some food. He keeps an extra eye on those who were able to resist his effect, especially the one who stunned him. If there was a person who could overwhelm the spell, who knew what the person was capable of!

Maz continues to remain there, striking up a casual conversation with the owner if available, but otherwise remains around until everyone has left the area. He makes no mention of the accident or the people he has his eye on for the moment.
    homebrew

Bindin's Bag o' Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

The two who resisted you finish their meal and leave.

The one who stunned you seems to be getting slowly drunk, very slowly in fact, despite being on his fourteenth ale.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

24. - Top - End - #114

Maz decides to approach the man. Besides, what did he have to lose? He could at least learn something from him. Well, maybe. Depends on how much of a drunkard the man is, although he doesn't seem to be as drunk as he should be........

Maz approaches the man's table and asks "Are you ok sir? You seem....... To be drinking quite a bit."
    homebrew

Bindin's Bag o' Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

"Better than alright. This is damn good ale! Barwench! Bring me another!" He downs the ale he has in one long gulp.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

26. - Top - End - #116

"Are you sure? It seems like you...... Very tolerant of the ale....." Maz asks the man, ordering another ale for himself. He's not sure what to make of the man, he had resisted his spell, but yet all he appeared to be was a drunk. But even the ale didn't see to be affecting him....... Perhaps the man had some sort of special resistances?
    homebrew

Bindin's Bag o' Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground

"Wha? Oh, you noticed? Yeah, I've got high tolerances, probably because my liver um... my liver is long gone. I just drink it for the taste. It's GOOD. You should have one."
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

28. - Top - End - #118

Wha....... What? His liver is gone? Now, this man just wasn't making sense..... How could one live without one's liver? The answer just brings more questions into the young changeling's mind.

Unless......... Was the man a construct? Or a partial one? He had heard of such things, but.... There wasn't anything hinting at such a thing. Unless it was hidden under his clothes. Or perhaps he had a graft of sorts? Maz had heard of such things, people who were willing to go as far as getting monstrous parts put on them just for power. But then again, there were those who also became one with fiends, or merged with star metal.....

"Surely you jest. How could one live without a liver?" Maz replies, unsure of waht to make of the man. As the ale is brought to him, he takes a quick sip. It was better than others he had before, but surely not the best. "It is good, isn't it?"
    homebrew

Bindin's Bag o' Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #119
    Titan in the Playground

"Ha! Of course I have a liver! I've just poisoned it with booze so long that I doubt it even notices anymore.

Quite good indeed. It's my favorite brew.
    "
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

30. - Top - End - #120

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show

Sorry how long it took to respond. I've had a lot of stuff going on.

......... Oh. I guess I need to stop taking things so literal, he thinks to himself. He had a bad habit of that.

Maz decides it's best to simply hang around until everyone leaves or until morning. After all, he had gotten his sleep, he can stay up for a while. Besides, it'd be the perfect timing for an assassin to get in as soon as the owner closes up. He has to make sure his meal ticket client doesn't get injured, doesn't he?
    homebrew

Bindin's Bag o' Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show