New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Can not gestalt today, I has the dumbs.

My group is running a level 15 gestalt campaign using 3.5 and Pathfinder, basically anything we kind find a source for can be used. I have no idea what kind of character to make or even where to start. Any ideas?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Can not gestalt today, I has the dumbs.

Hmm, Shifter Ranger Sub 4/Barbarian 1/Weretouched Master 5/Primeval 5//Druid shifter sub 7/Hexer 8.
    Some low ability dependance. Wis and Strength is about it. All bout that pure animalistic savagery!
    Quote Originally Posted by Deeds View Post
    Caster backstories require a reason as to why they can cast spells. Wizards study hard to learn spells. Sorcerers often learn of their powers and then hone them through traveling. Clerics use piety to find the gift of spells through the gods or their ideals. Druids shun deodorant until a riding dog appears and they learn Entangle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Zom, my imaginary hat is off to you. *Horns? *What horns? *It's just an unusual hairstyle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    There are certain advantages to a game being as badly written as 3.5.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Try Half-elf Synthesist Summoner//Sorcadin.

Or Bard4/Pouncebarian1/Shou Disciple1/Warblade14//Warlock6/Paladin2/Cloistered Cleric1/Hellfire Warlock3/Legacy Champion8. Needs Eldritch Claws and Beast Strike (Dragon #358 and #355) but it really works.
    On creating medieval thermobaric detonations:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    *strokes chin*
    Hmmm, I like the way you think.
    On rewriting your own past into a stable time loop of invulnerability:
    Quote Originally Posted by rockdeworld View Post
    Kardar233's Illithid:
    *strokes chin*
    Hmmm, I like the way you think.
    Quote Originally Posted by rockdeworld View Post
    kardar233's Tyr: So ok, it seems to me that your character evades death o_O. Congratulations *fanfare*

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Life Oracle3/Paladin12//Sorcerer4/Binder1/AnimaMage10

Orasorcdin! Heal for few action and be a Gish!
    Last edited by Snowbluff; 2012-10-26 at 09:05 PM.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

Factotum//Warblade, Factotum//Psion, and Factotum//Wizard are all good choices.

Wizard//Psion is one of the best caster builds in the game. As is Wizard//Archivist.

Do you want a caster? An assassin? A skill monkey? A tank?
    People who think Tippy equals win.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Clearly, this is because Tippy equals Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    Tippy=Win
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavinfoxx View Post
    Wow... Tippy, you equal win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Immabozo View Post
    Tippy, I knew, in the back of my mind, that you would have the answer. Why? Cause you win. That's why.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    Alright. I finally surrender. Tippy, you do in fact equal win. You have claimed the position of being my idol.

Quote Originally Posted by Someone who shall remain anonymous
    This post contains 100% Tippy thought. May contain dangerous amounts of ludicrousness and/or awesomeness.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Halfling in the Playground

BlackDragon

I was leaning towards a caster because apparently we don't have a full caster yet. Wizard/Scion sounds interesting.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

Life Oracle3/Paladin12//Sorcerer4/Binder1/AnimaMage10
    Dual casting prcs are STRONGLY discouraged, almost not allowed, by gestalt rules.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darius Kane View Post
    Dual casting prcs are STRONGLY discouraged, almost not allowed, by gestalt rules.
    Yeah. I really didn't have a suggestion for it, so I just put anima mage.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

A particularly silly rule, actually, given that dual-progression PrCs are almost universally weaker than single-class casters and that dual-progression PrCs outside of DMG give abilities other than just dual progression.

For casting, I like beguiler 5/wild mage 1/beguiler x//archivist y. Full spontaneous and prepared casting, UMD for the few spells you can't cast natively, minor skillmonkeying, and a CL 0-5 higher than your level. It's awesome for summoning, since illusions of summons are sometimes just as good as the real thing. Be an Uurkrau illumian to change your archivist spells/day from Wisdom to Dexterity, and then you only need Intelligence, Dexterity, and Constitution (or dump Constitution and be a necropolitan).
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Ask me (or the other authors) anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by PaperMustache View Post
    I was leaning towards a caster because apparently we don't have a full caster yet. Wizard/Scion sounds interesting.
    What sort of power are you looking at?

Wizard//Facto with something like shadowcraft mage or incantrix would be on the high end. You get insane spells, int to everything, double action in rounds.

Sorc 4/Dread witch 5/Nightmare spinner 5 // Hexblade 3 / Pally Tyrn 2 / Blackguard 2 /something with intimidate would be on the medium and fun flavor. Crazy fear and save bonuses

Spellthief 15 // Something /rogue/ur-priest/luckstealer would be on the mid tier and kinda fun

Facto 3/Duskblade 12 // Wizard (+prestige of your choice) 15 would be also mid tier and fun. Lots of gishy blasty power.

Spellthief 15 // Facto 5ish/Cameleon 10 would be amusing too. Less casting power but a lot of rogue like abilities and some casting. Lower power, but still not too bad.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    A particularly silly rule, actually, given that dual-progression PrCs are almost universally weaker than single-class casters and that dual-progression PrCs outside of DMG give abilities other than just dual progression.

For casting, I like beguiler 5/wild mage 1/beguiler x//archivist y. Full spontaneous and prepared casting, UMD for the few spells you can't cast natively, minor skillmonkeying, and a CL 0-5 higher than your level. It's awesome for summoning, since illusions of summons are sometimes just as good as the real thing. Be an Uurkrau illumian to change your archivist spells/day from Wisdom to Dexterity, and then you only need Intelligence, Dexterity, and Constitution (or dump Constitution and be a necropolitan).
    except when it comes to the fact that you can make a Sorcerer//Favored Soul or Wizard//Archivist with Mystic Theurge on one side and get dual lvl 9 casting
    My Homebrew: found here.
    When you Absolutely, Positively, Gotta Drop some Huge rocks, Accept NO Substitutes

PM Me if you would like a table from my homebrew reconstructed.

Drow avatar @ myself

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

A particularly silly rule
    Except not, because in gestalt it is much much easier to meet the requirements, they're almost a non-issue.

except when it comes to the fact that you can make a Sorcerer//Favored Soul or Wizard//Archivist with Mystic Theurge on one side and get dual lvl 9 casting
    Or triple for example by going Wizard/Cleric/MT//Sorcerer.
    Last edited by Darius Kane; 2012-10-27 at 12:53 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Except not, because in gestalt it is much much easier to meet the requirements, they're almost a non-issue.
    The solution, then, is not to ban whole swaths of classes with interesting abilities, but to specify that class features only count as prerequisites for PrCs on that side of the gestalt. Having treble or even quadruple 9s isn't any more unbalancing than the double 9s of a Wizard//Archivist.
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Ask me (or the other authors) anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    The solution, then, is not to ban whole swaths of classes with interesting abilities, but to specify that class features only count as prerequisites for PrCs on that side of the gestalt. Having treble or even quadruple 9s isn't any more unbalancing than the double 9s of a Wizard//Archivist.
    The very idea that there are "sides" in a gestalt is only resultant from the common visual representation of how the build looks - it isn't in the rules as written, and anything based upon it is inherently silly.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Banned

The solution, then, is not to ban whole swaths of classes with interesting abilities, but to specify that class features only count as prerequisites for PrCs on that side of the gestalt.
    With houserules anything can become a non-problem. And even with this houserule it still is abusable.

Having treble or even quadruple 9s isn't any more unbalancing than the double 9s of a Wizard//Archivist.
    I disagree. A Wizard is T1 because theoretically it can do anything. But you need system mastery and a fair amount of optimization to make it happen. With triple 9s you don't even have to particularly try, not to mention the sheer amount of resources and options you get.
    A dual caster without optimization might be weak.
    A Wizard or Cleric is T1, with optimized dual casting it becomes "T0".
    Triple 9s is just overkill.
    Last edited by Darius Kane; 2012-10-27 at 01:25 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Barbarian in the Playground

Warblade 15/ Wu jen 15, with the body outside body trick.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pilo View Post
    Warblade 15/ Wu jen 15, with the body outside body trick.
    Which trick is that? The only one I know is the JPM trick.
    Caster backstories require a reason as to why they can cast spells. Wizards study hard to learn spells. Sorcerers often learn of their powers and then hone them through traveling. Clerics use piety to find the gift of spells through the gods or their ideals. Druids shun deodorant until a riding dog appears and they learn Entangle.
    Zom, my imaginary hat is off to you. *Horns? *What horns? *It's just an unusual hairstyle.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Zombulian View Post
    Which trick is that? The only one I know is the JPM trick.
    Body Outside Body is a spell that creates multiple duplicates of the user. Quite useless to a caster because it doesn't allow spells, but very good for a mostly mundane fighter.
    Last edited by Darius Kane; 2012-10-27 at 04:20 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Body Outside Body is a spell that creates multiple duplicates of the user. Quite useless to a caster because it doesn't allow spells, but very good for a mostly mundane fighter.
    Almost useless, at least. SLAs and Sus are unaffected, IIRC, and one ingenious build made heavy use of that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

That doesn't sound much like a trick...
    I know of the Archmage body outside body trick. Make it an SLA. All of your clones can clone themselves!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Zombulian View Post
    That doesn't sound much like a trick...
    I don't know any tricks, I just assumed he said "trick" instead of "spell".

22. - Top - End - #22
    Bugbear in the Playground

Wu-Jen 15 // Archivist 10 / Contemplative 1 / Dweomerkeeper 4

Int-Sad with he Academic Priest feat.
    Now each of your clones can cast one spell!
    At level 17 make it 2 spells, including XP-free wish and miracle!
    Also 5 PRC levels (6-10) free to use on either side of the build.
    Last edited by docnessuno; 2012-10-27 at 06:25 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Since usually you can only cast one thing at once, you might put offense on one side in the form of a caster and defense or other passive abilities on the other side. A simple example would be:
    sorcerer 20 // paladin 2 / barbarian 1 / monk X
    You get huge saves, evasion, high speed for kiting, a little extra AC and ok hp.

A real build would probably include prestige classes in place of later sorcerer and monk levels, but you get the idea.
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2012-10-28 at 10:51 AM.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

24. - Top - End - #24
    Banned

SolithKnightGuy

Synth Summoner//Totemist/Incarnate

Use Incarnate Avatar (Evil) to pump your damage, enjoy your 50 or so natural attacks per round.

Be a quadruped eidolon(you can just buy arms), grab pounce, large size, huge size, str increase, and all the natural attacks you can afford

You also get shiny summoner spells, so yay.

Alternatively, Druid//Totemist/Incarnate/Monk is a fun thing to play. All the crazy soulbinding, none of the worries.