New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1

Default Blood Mage Spell Choices?

So am doing a Wizard that is being a "Blood Mage" ((No Blood Magnus stuff, that prc sucks))

What sort of spells do you think a blood mage would use, or do you think he would default to necromancy spells?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Default Re: Blood Mage Spell Choices?

Create Magic Tattoo, Avasculate, Wrack, Blood Wind, Spectral Hand and Bloodstar from SpC.

Some of those are better than others, but they have the right thematic element.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    Regarding my Necrotic Apprentice trick:
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    This is brilliant.
    Regarding my Non-Epic Hidecarved Dragon:
    Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    Nicely done. Probably too cheesy for many tables, but I'd be inclined to allow it at mine, just for chutzpah.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Check out the Versatile Domain Generalist.

3. - Top - End - #3

True and I saw a few force affects, like mage hand or such being a floating bloody hand print.

Seems my main stuff will be

Illusoin /Transmutation/Necromancy/Enchantment stuff

with evocation for the force spells

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by silverwolfer View Post
    So am doing a Wizard that is being a "Blood Mage" ((No Blood Magnus stuff, that prc sucks))
    It's a shame that it's such a lacklustre PrC (although the blood-teleport thing is interesting, that's about it). I don't know for certain, but there might be some Dragon Magazine stuff out there, or something setting-specific that you could use instead. I haven't looked, however.

What sort of spells do you think a blood mage would use, or do you think he would default to necromancy spells?
    There was a list of blood-related spells given in this thread. You could draw some inspiration from there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slipperychicken View Post
    I guess this forum is some kind of mystical afterlife for dnd nerds who die during internet discussions? All the greatest internet heroes argue here every day about physics and dnd, rise again when slain, and enjoy a dining hall which serves them unlimited quantities of heavenly food like ramen, soda, alcohol, and birthday cake.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Tippy View Post
    Yes, the underwear of my epic wizards are more than capable of conquering your average world on their own.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Tainted Scholar and take Blooded Metamagic... Lets you sacrifice HP for Metamagics... pretty sweet
    Larloch, The Shadow King (w/ Ioun Stones) avatar by Iron Penguin

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

What am I missing that makes Blood Magus bad? Even if you don't like the later abilities (which are pretty lame, sure) it's pretty good if just take it up to 4th level for Blood Draught and Scarification and ignore everything beyond there, because you keep full caster progression and get two free feats and the option to ignore material components and deal one point of damage to yourself to gain +1 caster level on any spell you like. So, essentially three-ish feats becase Blood Component is kind of like Eschew Materials.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Saskia View Post
    What am I missing that makes Blood Magus bad? Even if you don't like the later abilities (which are pretty lame, sure) it's pretty good if just take it up to 4th level for Blood Draught and Scarification and ignore everything beyond there, because you keep full caster progression and get two free feats and the option to ignore material components and deal one point of damage to yourself to gain +1 caster level on any spell you like. So, essentially three-ish feats becase Blood Component is kind of like Eschew Materials.
    The point is, those abilities are next to useless. Scribe Scroll is strictly better and every Wizard gains it for free at 1st level. Even if you didn't have it, then the "personal use only" restriction should at the very least give a discount on producing those scars. Blood Draught is a slightly weaker version of Brew Potions, which is kind of weak as is. Add the feat requirements to enter the class and you are actually better off staying with your original class - even as a Sorcerer.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Among my favorite spells in the game are Avascular Mass (A targeted damaging web) and Extract Water Elemental (A combination of dessicate and summon monster)

Also, don't forget to get Spell Thematics to make ALL of your spells look bloody
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    Not illegal (and it largely doesn't matter due to Divine Salient Abilities), but Moradin has 14 levels in Expert. WotC decided that the God of all Dwarves took an NPC class.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    Wow. Next dwarf I meet in-game I'm totally figuring out a way to rag on him about that.