New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

MonkGuy

Default Support Caster Spell Selections

So I've read time and again here that casters are so good that even a support focused caster can be game destroyingly good. I've decided I want to give this a try, but my experience with casters is minimal so I come to you for help.

I've decided to make a Mystic Thurge, Its Cleric/Sorc. And I completely don't care that its a suboptimal choice, my games are pretty typically quite low OP.

I'm mostly looking for suggestions on good spells to take to help really buff up the party. Combat in our groups tends to be mutual surprise so I'm unlikely to have time to cast pre-battle buffs, I'm looking for in combat boosts, things like Snakes Swiftness, to get an extra attack, or Slide on a Skirmish class, fullattack plus movement bonus damage! I also want some direct damage because nuking is fun, (and some CC obviously) but mostly the effect I'm aiming for is to make the party look awesome rather than just myself.

I own a Spell Compendium so sources are not an issue. Though it's an intimidating amount of spells to just read thorough to see what looks good, so any suggestions would be very appreciated.

My first level feat (and flaws) were spent on early entry shenanigans and Zen Archery, I was thinking for 3rd and on I'd take some mild DMM stuff to make my turn undead pool useful, but I'm also open to feat suggestions.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Re: Support Caster Spell Selections

Remember that DMM requires the metamagic feat you are DMMing (so you have to have extend spell before you can take DMM: Extend spell, for example), and I am assuming you didn't take any metamagic at 1st level if you did early entry and zen archery. You are right to go for DMM though, the cha synergy will be useful, and if southern magician happens to be your early entry shenanigan then you can take advantage of your arcane spells with it.

If you have a rogue, grave strike is nice early on if you plan on fighting undead. Vision of Glory could be nice, target gets a bonus on a save equal to your cha which is presumably high. For more suggestions, it might be useful if you give us an idea of what level you are starting at and where you are going, since you have to stick with your sorcerer choices so we need to know how far ahead to plan.
    Last edited by Namfuak; 2012-10-27 at 12:52 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

MonkGuy

Default Re: Support Caster Spell Selections

Quote Originally Posted by Namfuak View Post
    Remember that DMM requires the metamagic feat you are DMMing (so you have to have extend spell before you can take DMM: Extend spell, for example), and I am assuming you didn't take any metamagic at 1st level if you did early entry and zen archery. You are right to go for DMM though, the cha synergy will be useful, and if southern magician happens to be your early entry shenanigan then you can take advantage of your arcane spells with it.

If you have a rogue, grave strike is nice early on if you plan on fighting undead. Vision of Glory could be nice, target gets a bonus on a save equal to your cha which is presumably high. For more suggestions, it might be useful if you give us an idea of what level you are starting at and where you are going, since you have to stick with your sorcerer choices so we need to know how far ahead to plan.
    Yea I know any DMM feat is effectively 2 feats, but since I haven't figured out a way to apply Thurge levels to my turning checks it seems the best option to make use of my turn pool. I'm thinking quicken, it seems like the most generally useful application.

Chat and Wis both 20. I'm so far Assimar Cloistered Cleric1/Sorc 1. DM promises the game to be long term, so lets assume a long term plan. Certainly at least past 10th.

Truedeath Crystals make Grave Strike useless once purchased, but its a cleric spell so might as well carry it with me for now. Vision of Glory has potential, though it takes an action so I have to apply it before hand, takes some planning but +5 (or better, lets face it my WBL is pretty much pre-spent on stat boosts as a caster :P)

I realize my low level means I don't get many spells yet, but I figure planning ahead is best.
    Last edited by TypoNinja; 2012-10-27 at 03:11 AM.