New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Modifying a ranger acf, Advice?

I have a player that wants to run a ranger with the wild shape ACF from UA, but wants to change the drawbacks, currently is wildshape for loss of combat styles, they want to change it to wildshape for the loss of spellcasting, favored enemy, and animal companion. does this seem like a fair trade?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Modifying a ranger acf, Advice?

Considering how limited the Wildshape that ACF gets is? Yeah, that's *more* than a fair exchange - he's actually coming out of that weaker, IMO, unless he's going to go straight into Master of Many Forms.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

he is indeed looking to do master of many forms, but (so far) its not for any cheesy reasons that i can tell, just wants to go "archery style, plus claws".

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

..yeah, you've got nothing to worry about there. Your player is offering to give up everything that's *good* about Rangers for the sake of getting Rapid Shot as a bonus feat. (Admittedly a Master of Many Forms build wouldn't be advancing any of those things anyway, but giving up spellcasting entirely does mean giving up access to Ranger wands, and Ranger spells are pretty nifty. Especially for archery.)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

nice, i'll let em have the spellcasting then, they're going to be challenged by the encounters anyway. thanks!