New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Acorn of travel optimization

Ok, so in my search for an answer on a different topic I found out about the Acorn of travel. After the spell is cast, "As long as you carry the acorn (and as long as the acorn is not stored in an extradimensional space like a bag of holding), you are considered to be standing under that oak tree's canopy" So how can you optimize that? And would this work?

Use acorn from a tree you have designated as
    1. Sanctum (+1 Spell level for sanctum spell DC)
    2. Hallow (magic circle against evil, +4 sacred bonus to cha checks turn undead, +1 spell effect constantly on, i.e. protection from energy, freedom of movement, etc)

I am sure there are more uses but this are the ones that spring to mind.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Acorn of travel optimization

Hathran's spontaneous casting is the poster child of this trick.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

There's a good many tricks you can pull with the AoFT, but most of them are pretty cheesy, and it's really kind of a broken spell/item.

For example, energy transformation field with a healing spell loaded; combine with a minor at-will item (Hand of the Mage?) to charge it up and you get infinite spellcasting on you wherever you go. (Or use mage's lucubration instead, if that's your thing.) Of course you have to drop or extradimensional-pack your acorn to actually cast anything.

I believe there's also nutso* shenanigans you can pull with mythals, but I don't know much about them.

*The pun, you likey?
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tuggyne View Post

I believe there's also nutso* shenanigans you can pull with mythals, but I don't know much about them.
    Ah, mythals... The only epic spell you ever need (barring plot-specifics). Get true resurrection, wish, miracle and reality revision as vanguard (at-will) powers. Everything else is just frosting.
    Avatar of Furude Setsuna, by Telasi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mephit View Post
    Don't worry, I like my characters the way I like my coffee: Strong, but with no cheese in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Akagi
    Don't hesitate to tell the people you care about the feelings you have for them, because they may not be there tomorrow.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

earth nodes also go pretty great with the acorn.