New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Enlarge Person's Str bonus?

Why is it just +2? When you look at what monsters get from size increases by getting more HD, well, it's way more. Am I missing something?
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Enlarge Person's Str bonus?

Yea, its a 1st level spell. Contrast with Bull Str, a 2nd level spell, which gives a +4 enhancement bonus. Enlarge Person gives a size bonus, which stacks with everything but Righteous Might. Also, EP gives the reach advantage which is 9/10 reasons to cast the spell.

If it gave a normal size increase like the MM suggests, it would be WAY better than a 1st level spell. Probably 4th level, akin to Polymorph.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    Yea, its a 1st level spell. Contrast with Bull Str, a 2nd level spell, which gives a +4 enhancement bonus. Enlarge Person gives a size bonus, which stacks with everything but Righteous Might. Also, EP gives the reach advantage which is 9/10 reasons to cast the spell.

If it gave a normal size increase like the MM suggests, it would be WAY better than a 1st level spell. Probably 4th level, akin to Polymorph.
    I totally didn't think of any of that. That is, I was neglecting to keep in mind Enlarge Person is merely a 1st level power, focusing instead on the benefits of a size increase.

Thanks Keld Denar!
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post

Nah, Polymorph does way more than actual size bonus.

I'd price Actual Enlarge person as 3rd level.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    Nah, Polymorph does way more than actual size bonus.

I'd price Actual Enlarge person as 3rd level.
    Although it would be logical to expand its targeting to all types and therefore shove it up another spell level. Call it enlarge monster or something?
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity