New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default East Coasters, are you ready for FrankenStorm? (Hurricane Sandy)

I swear, every time I turn on the TV, the predictions for this storm get direr and direr. First it was being called worse then the "perfect storm" of 90 something, now they are saying it's the Storm of the Century or worse. PA, MD, DC, and VA are all under states of emergency already(even though the storm isn't due to hit until Monday). They are calling for 60-100mph winds, rain, and possibly 2 feet of snow because of the cold front coming in from the west that's going to mix with the Hurricane(hence the term: FrankenStorm).

A news lady earlier on a local news channel said "When they said prepare for your electricity to be out for several days, they really mean several weeks, especially for those outside of towns and cities". That freaks me out, I'm on top of a mountain in the middle of nowhere, if we lose power for a couple of weeks, imma cry >< LOL! Seriously though, that would be pretty crappy, considering no generator, we'll lose all of our food, nor have the ability to buy and cook any fresh stuff. I'm reaaaaaaaalllllyyyyyyy hoping that this storm somehow ends up being a dud, at least compared to what they are saying about it.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Default Re: East Coasters, are you ready for FrankenStorm?

FrankenStorm? Isn't that the name of a SyFy original movie?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Thankfully, I"m a bit south of where it's supposed to hit, as well as far enough inland that no hurricane ever brings worse weather than a bad t-storm does. I would also say that since you live in the mountains too, your main problem is gonna be if the hurricane sends you snow. Does MD get blizzards or bad snow often? Your community might already be prepared to handle it if it does, which could make it much safer than if say, SC or GA got a massive snowstorm.

Go Tigers!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

I'm on holiday in New York right now. My plans were to meet up with my dad on Monday and see the sights. His flights have all been cancelled and so that's one that's not happening. I don't know what to expect. Never seen actual bad, American bad, weather before.
    Mannerism RPG An RPG in which your descriptions resolve your actions and sculpts your growth.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Where in England do you live? Don't you get the north sea winter storms as well? I grew up near the German coast and the winter cyclones can get quite significant. Though I don't know how that compares to American significant weather.

In Germany, we have snow in October. Usually it doesn't start until after christmas here and a week ago I went outside with sneakers and just a light jacket over my t-shirt.
    Winter comes fast around here, but this is freaky.
    Last edited by Yora; 2012-10-28 at 05:25 AM.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

6. - Top - End - #6
    Colossus in the Playground

I will be honest. I have seen this happen before. The more they overhype the storm on its way, the less likely it will actually hit us. Even if it does, big deal, this isnt the 1400s, we will be fine. So we might be without power for a week. Meh. Virtually everyone will have friends or family that has had power restored at some point, and the roads will be cleared within a day, so its not like we cant just bunk together. Seriously though, thats the only real big worry, "Omg, we will lose powa!" Meh, thats why god invented the wool sweater and blankets. Its october, not february, we wont die in -50 degree weather. Worst we will suffer from is boredom and an overindulgence in cereal.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

7. - Top - End - #7
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Totally Guy View Post
    His flights have all been cancelled and so that's one that's not happening.
    Really? That's strange. None of the 3 airports around us have cancelled any flights yet and we're supposed to get it before and probably worse than New York will. I'm very much hoping that they don't. My dad and Zeb were supposed to fly in on Tuesday, but because we didn't think they would make it in, they're trying to fly in today. At least Zeb is, I don't know if my dad will make it until tomorrow...then he'll really run into problems getting here.

And while the power outage, if it happens, will be inconvenient, the real concern, at least here, is flooding. I can deal with a power outage...I've never even attempted to deal with a flood and would rather not, especially this week. We're attempting to move across the country Thurs/Fri. Blah.

I was outzombied by the baby!
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Amotis View Post
    Alarra ate all my awesome and now she's always acknowledged as awe-inspiring awesome. Alliteration aside, Alarra is awesome.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

I live in New York. To be honest, I have no idea whether this storm is even supposed to hit us hard or not, although my aunt's Monday flight was cancelled. Around here, this kind of hype happens about five times a winter, and then everybody around here acts like we've never had a storm before, and then 99% of the time absolutely nothing happens.

Why yes, I do work at a grocery store, and yes, my weekend has been miserable, with swarms and swarms of angry customers. You live in Western New York, you should already be prepared for storms!

9. - Top - End - #9

RedWizardGuy

In Virginia, I know that more than a few counties have canceled school for Monday and Tuesday, plus it's already pretty windy.
    Newest Work: Pyromancer - My submission for Base Class Contest X
    Vote here.

Awesome Quotes:

Quote Originally Posted by chess435 View Post
    May Chuck Norris smile upon you.

Finall got an Extended Homebrew Signature, courtesy of Cipherthe3vil

10. - Top - End - #10

My brother has school canceled and I really don't know what's going to happen upstate, where I go to college--Irene's flooding hit upstate New York hard last year. My campus is pretty self-sufficient and we're at the top of a hill (or several hills), so I guess I'll see how it goes the next couple of days.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Public transportaation and Alternate side parking has been suspended so no work tomorrow.

Anyway. Gotta clean my sewer lines or my room will flood.
    Just put up the patio furniture.
    And bought a ton of food. Some for my mother to cook and freeze.
    Gitp's No. 1 Cake hater
    On Vacation until Aug 7th.
    Spell currently researching: Explosive Pie.
    Weapon currently crafting: +1 cakebane kris

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

My biggest fear for myself here in central Pennsylvania is the wind. I live high enough up in the Appalachians that I'm not worried about the rain, but it's probably been a good year since our last bad windstorm and I know there's a lot of deadfall in the trees around here to cause concern. I went around yesterday and pulled whatever dead branches out of the trees nearby as i could, but I'm sure i didn't get it all.

Needless to say, if i have to go out during this storm, i'll be wearing a helmet of some kind.
    Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    teleporting Hyper Nixon solves problems with Patriotism.

13. - Top - End - #13

I'm in DC. The skies have been ominous all day and at this point I kind of want it to hurry up and start already. My family's been talking about it non-stop since Thursday.

I've taken all the usual precautions, water, batteries, etc. I've seen meteorologists cry wolf too many times to actually be afraid but I am prepared.
    Proof-reading is totally unnecessary in the digital age now that we have spell cheque.

Pony thread's official Element of Youtube

14. - Top - End - #14

It's cloudy and drizzly where I am, but then again it's pretty much always cloudy and drizzly so that doesn't say much. However, back home my parents are saying that my dog's getting a bit nervous, and she's one of the rare dogs that doesn't freak out during thunderstorms.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

My mom's been worrying about it since Friday. We've got batteries and water and nonperishable food and stuff. Even if the storm doesn't kill tens of thousands of people and ruin everyone's lives, if the power goes out we won't have it for 5 days and that's going to suck real bad.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

I'm in DC. Susan and I are working through the checklist .

Realistically, it is unlikely we'll have much flooding, so the most likely inconvenience will be power loss for an extended period of time. I am telling work I will work from home tomorrow so, if something happens, I don't have to drive all the way back home in stormy conditions.

ETA:

Most likely impact

How will Sandy compare with the D.C. derecho? Sandy is a slow-moving, large-scale storm capable of strong winds and heavy rain over an extended period. Whereas the derecho devastated locations across the D.C. area in a matter of minutes. Impact-wise, we’d recommend preparing for the same impacts as the derecho - downed trees and the potential for multiple days without power.

On the positive side, utilities and local governments and the public will have had several days warning this time versus several hours (if that) for the derecho. So, there’s a chance the impacts may not be quite as bad or last quite as long. But you should prepare for the worst and hope for the best.
    That's my gut feeling as well. I believe that as far as the human impact it will not be as severe as the derecho that hit us last time because 1) It is sustained and long-term, rather than sudden 2) We've had multiple days warning 3) Hopefully, all the trees that would knock out power were all knocked down last time :).

At the very least, those trees that went over last time have zero potential to go over this time.

I've heard people complain about that -- the reason so many people go out of power up here in northern virginia is because so many rich landowners won't allow their trees to be trimmed. So in any storm, soft ground + heavy crown = over it goes. And everyone's out of power for multiple days.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    Last edited by pendell; 2012-10-28 at 03:08 PM.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

-Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

You can't predict whether there'll be flooding or whether fallen trees will knock down power lines. Who would have guessed that Irene would have devasted Vermont, for example?

This could be very bad or this could be a few days of rain.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

The power stays out for days at a time here. We're only about 30 houses on 1 switch in my neighborhood, so we're the last priority. If the power goes out, I'll probably be taking showers at work.

Here it is, sitting there like a giant slug of moisture. Not doing much yet.
    Last edited by Mauve Shirt; 2012-10-28 at 03:25 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

*is going to worry like hell about the East Coast Playgrounders*

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    I will be honest. I have seen this happen before. The more they overhype the storm on its way, the less likely it will actually hit us. Even if it does, big deal, this isnt the 1400s, we will be fine. So we might be without power for a week. Meh. Virtually everyone will have friends or family that has had power restored at some point, and the roads will be cleared within a day, so its not like we cant just bunk together. Seriously though, thats the only real big worry, "Omg, we will lose powa!" Meh, thats why god invented the wool sweater and blankets. Its october, not february, we wont die in -50 degree weather. Worst we will suffer from is boredom and an overindulgence in cereal.
    Lol...Roads cleared in a day? Man it must be nice to live somewhere where that stuff happens quickly. If we even get half of the predicted 2 feet, it'll take them 2-3 days before they clear the roads where I live. If we get the full brunt of the storm, it could take 4 days before they manage to plow us out. Also, elec being out for a week = all your food going bad. That's not exactly a good thing. For me, it's more or less devastating, it'll take me a year or more to re-stockpile food again.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Succubus View Post
    *is going to worry like hell about the East Coast Playgrounders*
    And me. Right?
    Mannerism RPG An RPG in which your descriptions resolve your actions and sculpts your growth.

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by Starwulf View Post
    Lol...Roads cleared in a day? Man it must be nice to live somewhere where that stuff happens quickly. If we even get half of the predicted 2 feet, it'll take them 2-3 days before they clear the roads where I live. If we get the full brunt of the storm, it could take 4 days before they manage to plow us out. Also, elec being out for a week = all your food going bad. That's not exactly a good thing. For me, it's more or less devastating, it'll take me a year or more to re-stockpile food again.
    Its not like they wait for the snow to stop falling first. As soon as it starts the sand crews are out, as soon as it starts to stick, the plows come out, and they stay out till the snow stops. Main roads and highways rarely get more than an inch or three on them before the plow comes by again. Side roads might be rough, but they generally are at least driveable, if challenging. Really, road clearance is the least of my worries. Only potential downside is if a lot of trees somehow wind up in the roads. Which they shouldnt, as the road crews have been busting their butts cutting back the trees growing too close.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

23. - Top - End - #23
    Barbarian in the Playground

You mean the Snowicane? That's what my house is calling it, what with the Snow Storm hitting the Hurricane.
    3DS Friend Code: 1907-9395-1731
    Pokemon X Info: Modern Pattern Vivillon & Flying-Type Friend Safari (w/ Farfetch'd & Swanna)

Avatar: Thanks to asdflove for my avatar. ^_^

24. - Top - End - #24
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Totally Guy View Post
    And me. Right?
    Also Zoidburg.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

And the rain has finally begun.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Banned

I wish this hurricane was more like the Hurricane.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah, it's raining here too. I've got some friends that live next to a creek - they'll probably be finding a hotel nearby if it gets too bad. I just hope the power doesn't go out and stay out, like it did the last time we had a storm...
    A few odds and ends.

28. - Top - End - #28

BardGuy

I'm in Virginia right now. It's pretty windy and rainy, and I've got school cancelled tomorrow, but it doesn't seem to be doing anything really bad.

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by Amidus Drexel View Post
    Yeah, it's raining here too. I've got some friends that live next to a creek - they'll probably be finding a hotel nearby if it gets too bad. I just hope the power doesn't go out and stay out, like it did the last time we had a storm...
    See now, thats a concern in ct, but considering the rather violent threats the power company is under after the fiasco last year, I think the power will come back on about as fast as is humanly possible. Seriously, I know it was our governor sounding tough for the voters, but if the company messes up this time, it will likely cost them big time in fines and sanctions. Of course, said costs will trickle right back down to us in the end.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm up here in Boston. I have school cancelled tomorrow; since Sandy is some kind of nor'easter/regular hurricane hybrid, and since we're supposed to get rain rather than snow (surprisingly), as far as I can tell we'll be getting worse than the normal hurricane remnants that pop up here but not as bad as last year's Halloween nor'easter. (Wow, big scary storms on Halloween two years in a row. What are the odds?)

The rain's barely started at this point, though. Kind of further north than most of the rest of you.
    Last edited by Lateral; 2012-10-28 at 09:30 PM.